Ronald Cummings, drug trafficking charges

The same thought crossed my mind. It's possible it was written outside prison and mailed to Ron to sign and forward to the court to be filed but I doubt it. I think it was written in prison, maybe not by Ron but by someone who helped him. I believe the inmates have access to a library for research.

I have prepared and filed a legal document dealing with changing my name on a property deed after marriage. All I did was go to the library, get a copy of what I needed, fill in the blanks with the proper information, had it notarized and filed it at the courthouse. This was before the internet age and I was not going to pay a lawyer's office hundreds of dollars for preparing a simple legal doucment. The documents can now be found online to copy.

If this document was prepared outside of prison I don't think it would be handwritten. I guess the inmates don't even have access to an old typewriter!

JMO

makes sense, twall.

giving it the old jail-house try

I suppose it's gotta work sometimes or no one would try it but would the numerous agencies involved in the case have gone through all the trouble to get the evidence and not checked out whose jurisdiction it is?

Looks to me RC didn't write this. Someone who has a backward slant to their printing did and RC signed it and printed his name looks more forward. I am not a handwriting analyst but looking at it in general there is a difference in the printing.

I agree, there's two different handwriting styles at play here.

RCMotion2.jpg

Did he really write that himself? Pretty impressive research. What happened to Shoemaker?

I'm sure Ron wrote this letter with Shoemaker's help. There is no way Ron could have done the research on this.
I've had a bad feeling about his appeal for awhile. I think Ron's going to slide through the bars of justice.

Thank you our precious GER! What a resourceful group here @ WS, amazing!

I'm sure Ron wrote this letter with Shoemaker's help. There is no way Ron could have done the research on this.
I've had a bad feeling about his appeal for awhile. I think Ron's going to slide through the bars of justice.

What appeal? Ron can't appeal, he pled guilty!

If Ron, did not honor his plea bargain, then his sentence becomes illegal and it needs to get modified, that was the deal, seems to me he isnt honoring answering truthfully about stuff when it comes to his daughter, because I cant see what would be illegal about his sentence, he was lucky to get a deal, but it came with conditions, if someone cant make good on the conditions....

It think its about to hit the fan.

I agree. It could be that Ron has been asked to testify at/before Misty's sentencing, something LE has evidence that RC knows, and he has refused to testify? Maybe they are about to throw the book at him! We can only hope!

Does anyone think this looks like a woman's/girl's handwriting.
TN or just a girlfriend maybe?
Someone who has access to computer research, but perhaps not a wordprocessor?
Oh Emma you red my mind! Or, I read yours? Anyway, the handwriting definitely looks like a female's. I don't see Ron taking the time to write that, even in jail, when he has so many fans who would jump at the chance to do it for him.:rolleyes:
:sick:

Ron just doesn't quit does he? Too bad he isn't fighting as hard for the truth and justice when it comes to his daugher as he is for his own freedom from prison! Irritates the you know what out of me!

If he has been this delligent about all his other cases, I can see why he had never spent time in jail before all this! Unbelievable if this works for him. He may have had this planned back when he made the agreement, and was just waiting for Misty's final sentencing before springing it on...whoever.:waitasec:
So if the plea agreement is nullified, what will happen next? Will he have to be tried/sentenced? Very confusing.

Why didn't he get this creative and deturmend to find HeLeigh jer- spit

You know the old saying be careful what you ask for. So just say they have to retry Ron. Away goes his deal. Away goes any "poor me" sympathy he might have garnered. He is going to really upset the apple cart.

Ron has lost the things he lived for. Manipulation, women, drugs and being able to get what he wants in life, using his fists, his guns and his family to back up his ways.

He won't get away with this scott free. He will pay a dear price for entering a plea deal, with special considerations "a deal", and now reneging on his word. This is going to set off a firestorm IMO.

I believe out of all of the Players Ron is having the most difficult time with facing 15 years behind bars. He doesn't like being stopped, told what to do. and not being able to do what he wants to do forcing his way and his will onto others.

Concerning the handwriting, I don't see much difference. IMO, they are both written by rc.

Concerning the motion. BS. AFAIK, the jurisdiction is where the crime occurred. It happened in Putnam and was prosecuted in Putnam. State's attorney can practice anywhere in the State. I have no idea what he is doing or saying. I readily admit I didn't read the Brown Case he is referring to but considering the poor wording of the motion, I see no reason to go that far.

He's guilty as sin on the charges, so now he's trying to weasel out of the sentence on a procedural matter. Typical, typical, typical.

It looks like a copy and paste job. Just fill in the blanks. If I do a search, without much effort I bet I'll find the same motion, citing the same cases, filed by other defendants with only the particulars changed.

Buck up, Ron! You did the crime, now do your time and keep your freakin' mouth shut until you're ready to tell the truth about Haleigh.

A million thanks to dear Ger :takeabow: for retrieving the document.

Off to do some reading.

Concerning the handwriting, I don't see much difference. IMO, they are both written by rc.

Concerning the motion. BS. AFAIK, the jurisdiction is where the crime occurred. It happened in Putnam and was prosecuted in Putnam. State's attorney can practice anywhere in the State. I have no idea what he is doing or saying. I readily admit I didn't read the Brown Case he is referring to but considering the poor wording of the motion, I see no reason to go that far.
At first glance, I understand the motion to argue that the "statewide prosector" (OSP) did not have jurisdiction to prosecute his case because the charges were restricted to one circuit, the implication being that the OSP can only prosecute cases that cross jurisdictional boundaries.

At first glance, I understand the motion to argue that the "statewide prosector" (OSP) did not have jurisdiction to prosecute his case because the charges were restricted to one circuit, the implication being that the OSP can only prosecute cases that cross jurisdictional boundaries.

Was it a "statewide" prosecutor? In my area we call them District Attorneys. They each prosecute in a specific county.

I know they are called State Attorneys in Florida but I think it's the same premise, just with a different title. I mean....do they all travel around the state in Florida or do they work in one jurisdiction the way the DA's do in my state?

I have court documents from county court, but each document is headed "State of...." and then lists the circuit court by county name. It's the same no matter what kind of court document.

Sorry for the questions, I've just never heard of a prosecutor that goes all over the state, and I really don't think they do that, not even in Florida.

If the "state attorney" does not have jurisdiction, who does?

Coincidentally, Florida named a new statewide prosecutor on December 29th, the same day the Statewide Grand Jury issued an interim report on public corruption.

Public Corruption Among Statewide Prosecutor's Priorities

(2011-1-10) TAMPA -
Nick Cox was named as Florida’s statewide prosecutor the same day the Statewide Grand Jury released its interim report on Public Corruption, Dec. 29th, 2010. Cox and his boss, Attorney General Pam Bondi, plan to tackle public corruption...

His top issue is “pill mills” where people can walk in off the street and get a prescription for large quantities of pain medication. Cox said the crime is unlike the sale of street drugs.
“Tthese are being handled essentially by medical professionals and being carried by persons who automatically have a defense when you catch them of saying ‘Hey, yeah I’ve got 200 “Oxys” here but I also have a prescription for it,’” Cox said. “So then you have to back track it through the doctor. And it’s more of an organized or professional complex type of crime.”.

http://www.wusf.usf.edu/news/2011/01/10/public_corruption_among_statewide_prosecutors_priorities

Is there an angle here that relates to Ron and company? I have no idea. Interesting changes are taking place in Florida's judicial system, however, and I have to wonder if and how their cases will be impacted.

Was it a "statewide" prosecutor? In my area we call them District Attorneys. They each prosecute in a specific county.

I know they are called State Attorneys in Florida but I think it's the same premise, just with a different title. I mean....do they all travel around the state in Florida or do they work in one jurisdiction the way the DA's do in my state?

I have court documents from county court, but each document is headed "State of...." and then lists the circuit court by county name. It's the same no matter what kind of court document.

Sorry for the questions, I've just never heard of a prosecutor that goes all over the state, and I really don't think they do that, not even in Florida.

If the "state attorney" does not have jurisdiction, who does?

In Florida, the state attorney has jurisdiction within a particular circuit. For instance, the seventh circuit includes Putnam, Flagler, Volusia, and St. Johns. The "statewide prosecutor" or Office of Statewide Prosecution" can prosecute cases in any circuit, but to establish jurisdictional authority, the cases must involve violations in two or more circuits.

The Office of Statewide Prosecution (OSP) was created by Florida’s voters in 1986 to counter the expanse of crime in our state. Criminal organizations need to be addressed by a group that can provide proactive partnership to law enforcement from initial tip through verdict and not be frustrated by geographic, judicial boundaries.
http://myfloridalegal.com/swp

Ron's claim is that his charges were restricted to only one circuit, so therefore, the OSP did not have jurisdictional authority. Hope that makes sense.

[SIZE=-1]2010 Florida Statutes

Title IV Executive Branch
[/SIZE]
Chapter 16 Attorney General

16.56[SIZE=-1] Office of Statewide Prosecution.

(snipped)

[/SIZE]
(1) There is created in the Department of Legal Affairs an Office of statewide Prosecution. The office shall be a separate “budget entity” as that term is defined in chapter 216. The office may:(a) Investigate and prosecute the offenses of:

1. Bribery, burglary, criminal usury, extortion, gambling, kidnapping, larceny, murder, prostitution, perjury, robbery, carjacking, and home-invasion robbery;

2. Any crime involving narcotic or other dangerous drugs;

(snipped)

(3) The statewide prosecutor may conduct hearings at any place in the state; summon and examine witnesses; require the production of physical evidence; sign informations, indictments, and other official documents; confer immunity; move the court to reduce the sentence of a person convicted of drug trafficking who provides substantial assistance; attend to and serve as the legal adviser to the statewide grand jury; and exercise such other powers as by law are granted to state attorneys. The statewide prosecutor may designate one or more assistants to exercise any such powers...

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...utor&URL=0000-0099/0016/Sections/0016.56.html
That's the bare statute and it appears to give the OSP free rein. Ron's motion invokes case law where higher courts have further defined the OSP's authority adding limitations. (I haven't read the cases yet.)

Thanks, Bessie. I think I understand now.

Maybe the case began with all 5 charges on the table. One could have been an offense in another county. But when 2 charges were dropped, the only remaining charges were Putnam offenses.

Maybe.

I don't know, just guessing. But either way, was it the statewide attorney, or was it the state attorney in Ron's case? I thought it was the same SA that Tommy had...and the same SA that was to prosecute the Haleigh case if there ever was one.

Did Ron have a different prosecutor than the others? I guess we don't really know, do we?

So if Ron prevails, they all could use the same argument. Even Misty, since her charges were in two counties but only one circuit.

I hate to see the state have to spend the resources to defend this, especially since even if his "illegal" sentences are nullified, he would just be re-sentenced. He was adjudicated guilty on all three charges, and those convictions would stand regardless.

I will say again, though, that if this turns out to be an issue of lack of jurisdiction, Ron's plea agreement could also be null since there would be no legal jurisdiction for that, as well.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back