Still Missing CA - Michaela Garecht, 9, Hayward, 19 Nov 1988 *ARREST*

I was watching a justice files episode on Wesley Shermantine and his friend Loren Herzog. Herzog's got long blond hair in his booking photo and it looks a lot like the composite of Michaela's kidnapper. They were active as far back as 1984. I hope Law enforcement checked his prints out. Whats scary is Herzog will be out of jail in a few years.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (CBS/AP) Loren Herzog and Wesley Shermantine terrorized the rural San Joaquin County region in a rampage that spanned 15 years.

Now Herzog, half of the methamphetamine-fueled duo known as the "Speed Freak Killers" is scheduled to be released from prison in the coming days, and a community that was once at ease is stricken with fear.

The two were originally convicted of numerous first-degree murder charges, including the 1998 rape and murder of Cyndi Vanderheiden, but Friday, the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation said Herzog will be paroled from Norco prison in Riverside County, Calif. and relocated to the state's isolated northeast area sometime in mid-September, but an exact date was not released.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20016252-504083.html

Kidnapping Case Revisited On 22nd Anniversary

Posted: 10:13 pm PST November 19, 2010
Updated: 1:03 am PST November 20, 2010

HAYWARD -- Twenty-two years ago Friday Michaela Garecht was kidnapped in Hayward; since then there have been thousands of leads but no sign of her.

Michaela would be 31 years old now and her family is still holding out hope for a miracle.

About 30 people, including Hayward police who have worked the case, gathered in the supermarket parking lot where the nine-year-old was kidnapped.

They tied ribbons to a tree, talked and cried.

"Michaela might be out there somewhere. And I want her to know that we're still looking for her," said her mother, Sharon Murch.

more here -including video

http://www.ktvu.com/news/25860100/detail.html

Now Herzog, half of the methamphetamine-fueled duo known as the "Speed Freak Killers" is scheduled to be released from prison in the coming days, and a community that was once at ease is stricken with fear.
...California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation said Herzog will be paroled from Norco prison in Riverside County, Calif. and relocated to the state's isolated northeast area sometime in mid-September, but an exact date was not released...

Any Update on whether or not he has been released, and if so where he will be living?

He was released to the Fresno area. Anyone that goes along with that many Murders deserves to Fry!

Today is Michaela's Birthday.............Hopefully she is alive and safe and can return to her family.

It looks like Michaela will be the featured case tonight on Nancy Grace, America's Missing. 9PM Eastern.

garecht-blog-post.jpg

With five dollars in their pockets Michaela and a friend rode their scooters to a market to purchase candy, soda and beef jerky.

While inside the store the girls left the scooters outside by the door. When the girls walked out of the store they began to walk back home forgetting they had rode their scooters. It was not long before the girls realized their mistake and went back to the school to fetch their scooters, but Michaela’s scooter was missing. The girls split up to try to find it. Placed next to a car Michaela found the scooter. As she bent down to pick up the scooter a white male grabbed her from behind and forced her into his sedan. There was one witness to the abduction – Michaela’s 9-year-old friend. For 22 years Michaela’s case has gone unsolved.

http://nancygrace.blogs.cnn.com/

They just played a piece of the 911 call that I believe was from a worker at the market.

Lead investigator says Michaela's case has always been an active case, and never considered a cold case. They've got over 13,000 tips, along with a few 1,000 more with the FBI. And several suspects.

Saying Phillip Garrido (who kidnapped Jaycee Dugard) could be a suspect. They have a "Top 5" list of suspects, but didn't say if he was one of the 5.

ETA: Sketch of the suspect, and photo of Phillip Garrido are strikingly similar!

Saying Phillip Garrido (who kidnapped Jaycee Dugard) could be a suspect. They have a "Top 5" list of suspects, but didn't say if he was one of the 5.

ETA: Sketch of the suspect, and photo of Phillip Garrido are strikingly similar!

I am suspecting Garrido too now that I hear he was 16 miles away in a halfway house at the time Michaela was nabbed. Too much of a coincidence imo.

This case is so horrifying. Hayward was truly small town America at that time. I had relatives there and took my kids to visit shortly after this kidnapping. They told me about it and warned me to keep an eye on the kids with that kidnapping in mind. The community was really sad because it was a family oriented community and kids used to walk to the park and the store and the ball park routinely. But after this tragic incident that stopped.

When we visited our family,the kids were not allowed to play ball out front like they had on our earlier visit. It was hard to explain to the kids without scarring them.

Yikes, boy they do look alike.

Hoping for something, anything that will bring her home.

Unfortunately, if Garrido took Michaela, it doesn't look very good for her. But there's always a chance.

And like Michaela's mom said, she would love to talk to Garrido's GF Nancy to see if she knows anything.

:praying:

Hello All!

I'm looking at NG's FB page now, someone with initials T.A. has placed a heartfelt description her thoughts on Michaela's case,, and told of a possible close encounter with ?Garrido?.

She even mentions possible locations where Michaela could be?! The party is hoping that someone can take the information that she's presented and check it out.

hth

I pray that Michaela's family can benefit from this information.

Hello All!

I'm looking at NG's FB page now, someone with initials T.A. has placed a heartfelt description her thoughts on Michaela's case,, and told of a possible close encounter with ?Garrido?.

She even mentions possible locations where Michaela could be?! The party is hoping that someone can take the information that she's presented and check it out.

hth

I pray that Michaela's family can benefit from this information.

I really hope that Nancy's producers takes into account what the poster said about Garrido and report it to LE... I just read the article myself.

When were stun guns available for purchase? In an interview with Michaela's friend who was with her the day she was kidnapped she said Michaela was screaming and that as the car sped away she could no longer see Michaela. I have wondered what type of screams. The painful screams of a stun gun or scared type screams? She was also thrown into the backseat. How was she subdued in the backseat if the guy was focusing on driving? How could no one on the busy road not see a child in the backseat screaming or beating the windows especially since she was seen "kicking and screaming" when she was pushed in the car. If a child were even the least bit feisty it seems that someone would have seen something or remembered at least seeing a scared kid. Were there stop lights on this boulevard? I just wonder if someone else was not in the vehicle in the backseat.....just like Nancy Garrido stun gunned and subdued Jaycee Dugard while Philip drove the getaway car. Of course I understand that it is very possible Michaela could have been scared to death and obeyed her captor so that nobody could see her. I am just using the window beating as a scenario. It was random that she just happened to be going to the store. It was not like it was a usual route or routine that a perpetrator could predict. I believe it was somebody trolling with a purpose in mind. Michaela was snatched , not lured or quietly misled by this guy when he kidnapped her. Garrido is already known to have brazenly/violently ripped a child off the street (Jaycee). This crime is eerily similar to the case of Amber Schwartz Garcia who was kidnapped several months earlier in the same general region. Amber was also a blue eyed blonde as were Michaela and Jaycee. Supposedly Curtis Dean Anderson confessed to this kidnapping but a body was not found. I am not saying it was the Garrido’s but one thing that struck me as odd was a painting decorating their living room. The painting is of a young blonde girl. This seems like a peculiar choice of artwork since they did kidnap a young blonde pretty girl. Weird choice of art but then everything about them is weird and sick. I have often thought of writing to Michaela’s mom on her blog site but I doubt they want unsolicited thoughts from people regarding the case. The stun gun thing/screams has bugged me among other things. Any pictures of Curtis Dean Anderson around this timeframe 1988?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back