2011.06.25 Sidebar Thread (Trial Day Twenty-eight)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If JB felt the need to contact Beth Karas, something tells me he is in CYA (covering your backside) mode

I went back and watched the video of what little bit of proceedings we had this morning and was caught by the following. Video Here: http://www.youtube.com/user/weshtv?feature=chclk#p/l/XZ_qhfMF2oM

JA again has to bring attention to another possible discovery infraction by JB
JB accuses judge and SA of fabricating issues, says enough is enough, the DT is not willing to go into these issues, then begins to backslide into "Well we'll tailor the testimony to only include what was in the depo, take out slides, yada yada yada" HHJP basically says, I'll look at the documentation and decide for myself. Mason then begins mumbling about something requiring a sidebar and JUST AS he begins to speak into the mic, the asst attys on DT hands JB this document he just walked in with. JB seems to be distracted and begins reading in earnest.

All attys walk to sidebar. Watch what happens from the 20:37 mark.
Mason begins to speak to HHJP, JB interrupts him with hand gestures, Mason's reaction is something like 'whoa there sonnie, let me deal with this'.
Mason begins to speak again, but JB starts pulling back, taps Mason on the back, then asks for a brief moment alone with Mason.

Mason concurs, JB & Mason step away. Look at HHJP's facial expressions. SA turns away to try and keep from looking at each other and falling apart (my opinion) JA stands there nodding his head up and down like "yea yea yea yea knew this was gonna happen"
Mason and JB step back up to sidebar, Mason begins speaking again.
He then begins to present something to HHJP, HHJP says "fine, ok" and they all walk away.

The DT all walks directly into the holding area with ICA, whereupon a conversation about some serious subject begins. The courtroom (Kathy B reports) can hear Mason's raised voice at his team. They return, another convo takes place, all gods children go into chambers with HHJP. During this one of the junior attys tells ICA they need to go back into the holding area, ICA tries to put her off so she can read the live transcript of what is going on in chambers, but junior atty will not be put off and ICA is marched back into holding for a convo (putting some documentation together?) with junior atty.

All god's children come back and we are in recess.

Jean C reported this morning that she was told during her CM interview that he and JB would be 'splitting' the examinations. That didn't happen and now she has been told that CM will be much more involved in dealing with the witnesses from here on out.

My comments (sorry so long guys) is this - JB has *advertiser censored***D up discovery to the point that CM's reputation is now taking a hit (in CM's mind if not in reality) and he's not going to sit back any longer and let JB bring him down along with this pointless defense.

I think we have either an attorney in trouble, or we have a witness in trouble - both of which could directly impact a lawyer's reputation/license. I really think JB has done something, or ignored something that was done, to his team's detriment. Man I hope this does not turn into a mistrial.

The other thing I saw and I've read one tweet but cannot find it now, is that JA returned the copies of the slide show to JB, and I guess they have decided not to use it at all. I think it was KB, but am still looking. That would have been the 'flying saucer' document discussed below this post.

The judge could not have ANY such conversation with the DT without the SA (edited for my oops) present. The fact that the DT and the defendant met with the judge without any prosecutors tells a lot about what it isn;t. It does not involve witnesses. It does not involve trial procedure or trial strategy or directly mistrial or dismissal.

So anything discussed there has to be somewhat specific. Things that the SA might otherwise be precluded from participating in and only need to be kept informed of. Issues of health, representation, private finances (does not apply as she is indigent and publicly funded) or the jail. Things that the SA has no argument in. The fact that it is sealed says it is probably one of the first two. The fact that they all did not seem to come in expecting it today probably means that it is the second.

Just my speculation, but a reasoned speculation based on what little we know.

That makes a lot of sense !

Oh dear,how might this turn out?
Would CM be allowed to tell ICA that JB is screwing this up?

The witness intimidation came from Baez and Mason yesterday. It was about Rodriquez. They are trying to claim that JA called the boss of Rodriquez while JA is saying that he got a call from the boss after their deposition last Saturday. The judge made it clear that he was willing to do whatever required to keep this witness including giving him a room at the Orange County Jail. But that the defense dismissed him saying they didn't want him to lose his job.

Now at the end of court yesterday there were claims being shot by the DT at Aston. Aston shot back and provided the contact information folder to the State. Take a look JA was very agitated and pushed the folder rather abruptly at Baez.

"At lunch at a restaurant across from the courthouse, I had a friendly chat with Judge Belvin Perry, telling him about my sailboat race to Bermuda and that all anyone there wanted to talk about was Casey Anthony. He laughed and shook my hand and told me he was glad to see me in town.
Finally, as is being reported, I did have lunch in that same restaurant a couple of tables away with defense attorney Jose Baez who expressed deep frustration over what he believes to be rulings from the bench that limit his ability to make the abuse argument, however implausible. He also told me he expects to wrap his case by Wednesday, which with the prosecution’s rebuttal case means this will not be over until after the July 4 holiday."

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2011/06/2...ey-details-her-courtroom-demeanor/#more-70965

To play defense attorney for a moment.....unless there is a video of photo of HHJP and Geraldo chatting or appearing to chat.....it's circumstantial evidence and we must assume it has no value. :floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

BBM...I agree! Here are pictures I used as a comparison...notice in first pic Caylee is taller than the door handle.

It seems obvious that picture number one is Caylee inside her Playhouse. Those doors are made to fit children.

OR the opposite- she is demanding to testify, which would seem more likely since the DT probably do not want her to testify. The only way this could make a stink is if she wanted to testify that they did not really molest her and JB refuses to let her say that and she is claiming that JB made her lie about that, BUT there is testimony from other people that she has said the thing about LA before, so who knows...

One way or another, if there is serious conviction, this is KC, and some body on that defense team will be going under the bus right beside George and Roy Kronk. Personally, I hope it's Baez...couldn't happen to a more deserving lawyer. Maybe Mason has gotten to the point he doesn't want it to be him.

How often is the Orange County case summary updated online?

Caylee's shoes taken from the house during a search warrant:

"Smart Fit" 9 112 white pearlescent Velcro mary-jane
style shoes.

"Circo" size 7 white and blue athletic shoes with
Velcro closure.

"Smart Fit" size 7 white leather sandals with buckles.

"Circo" size 7 112 white canvas athletic shoes with
Velcro closure.

"Circo" size 7 white athletic shoes with clear stones
and lace closure.

H-60531

I always assumed they only took white shoes because of George's statement about what Caylee was wearing when he last saw her. I believe he said she was wearing white sneakers.... or something white anyway....

But I have been wrong before....

Thankx grandma - I missed that last night - so Geraldo said he actually spoke with HHJP? When and where did this happen? Did it happen at all? I'm not buying it - HHJP knows better than to talk to ANY media - much less Geraldo (who is quite recognizable - KWIM).

Now, Geraldo may have spoken to HHJP in previous times - years ago? Months ago? About another trial - possibly? But Geraldo speaking to HHJP since this trial has been going on? Nope - not a chance.

JMHO

I agree. Maybe Geraldo saw HHJP in a restaurant and tried to speak to him. Sounds like something Geraldo would do (Gulf War anyone?). Doesn't mean HHJP spoke back. :floorlaugh: I am picturing it now.

Whatever happened had to do with Casey and C. Mason this morning. It happened behind the DOOR. Everything is speculation but my guess is that someone is claiming some judicial misconduct.

CM trying to get her to accept a plea based on them not being able to prove any mitigating circumstances of sexual abuse? It could also be them trying to have the judge removed when he would not side with them about the witness?

Oh For crying out loud. How many judges do they think they can get excluded. This probably has to do with Baez's good friend Geraldo stating that he spoke to the judge. YUP didn't some speculate it was going to cause a problem?

OK- about 19.00 into this video JB is trying to slap HHJP across the face. He tries to dictate to HHJP what they will or won't do as far as evidence from Dr Furton.
He is being petulant, accusing HHJP of siding with JA all the time.
The look on HHJP's face at 19:02 is priceless. He is amazed at JB's arrogance.
I would not want to be in JB shoes at the end of this trial...
http://www.wesh.com/casey-anthony-extended-coverage/interactive.html

CM asked for the sidebar that started this

CM seen yelling at JB and ICA

CM loud voice heard

I think CM wants off and that will cause a mistrial unless HHJBP can find a way to continue.

In my view your summation is well stated and seems quite plausible.

But since the trial uses alternate jurors, I'm surprised there would not also be alternate attorneys, so to speak. In other words, redundancy, with a back up attorney already in place, so that one attorney (like Mason in this case) could not torpedo the entire trail by resigning.

:coffeews:

It would be great to have a support thread for the jurors as it must feel they are the ones in jail! :behindbar
If there already is such a thread, then... :nevermind:

I work for Disney (yes, I do believe in fairies). I am sending a request to the powers that be to provide free admission to the jurors and their families to attend once this trial is over. I don't know if it will happen but I feel it would be a nice gesture to thank them for their personal sacrifice. Disney has to be careful of what the perception would be to do this.

To play defense attorney for a moment.....unless there is a video of photo of HHJP and Geraldo chatting or appearing to chat.....it's circumstantial evidence and we must assume it has no value. :floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

:waitasec: Isn't this Geraldo telling us what he saw? Wouldn't that be direct evidence?

What did Geraldo say? He spoke to JP? What about?

I am going second hand here--but apparently he didn't really say, but hinted/teased--but it was yesterday on O'Reilly with Juan hosting (love Juan) that this was stated.

Geraldo's show is on Sat, I believe. He was teasing to up his ratings or he did do whatever it is he insinuates. Either way, it appears to lack in ethics, imo.

Though FOX doesn't have any O'Reilly transcripts up for Thurs. *scream*

JVM just said they are trying to solve this mystery with deductive reasoning.

Wouldn't that qualify as a "FIRST"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member