IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would believe that it was someone in LE - there are leaks all the time from police departments - but I would have thought that it would have been leaked to a local reporter that knew whoever the leaker was, rather than someone at the Journal News in Westchester (lohud.com) if that were the case. On the other hand, maybe it was someone who knew his/her job would be in jeopardy if revealed and didn't trust any of the local reporters.

It seems implausible to me that her parents were the people who leaked the information. For one, they've said a number of times now that they are on board with LE and it's hard for me to imagine them doing anything that LE would consider harmful to the investigation.

That her parents are the source of the leak seems even less likely to me because of the tone of the quotes. For example, "As for this idea that she was Florence Nightingale and taking him back because she was concerned, she wasn't in any condition to take care of herself, let alone another human being," is hard for me to imagine coming out of her mother's or father's mouth.

http://www.lohud.com/article/201107...lding-video-no-condition-help-friend-get-home

I agree.

Plus I believe CS's (official) reaction to the "leaked" story was that she had not seen the video.

That comment made me wonder which (if any) videos she HAS viewed. And which she has not? Are these her choices, or is that decision made by LE?

I would believe that it was someone in LE - there are leaks all the time from police departments - but I would have thought that it would have been leaked to a local reporter that knew whoever the leaker was, rather than someone at the Journal News in Westchester (lohud.com) if that were the case. On the other hand, maybe it was someone who knew his/her job would be in jeopardy if revealed and didn't trust any of the local reporters.

It seems implausible to me that her parents were the people who leaked the information. For one, they've said a number of times now that they are on board with LE and it's hard for me to imagine them doing anything that LE would consider harmful to the investigation.

That her parents are the source of the leak seems even less likely to me because of the tone of the quotes. For example, "As for this idea that she was Florence Nightingale and taking him back because she was concerned, she wasn't in any condition to take care of herself, let alone another human being," is hard for me to imagine coming out of her mother's or father's mouth.

http://www.lohud.com/article/201107...lding-video-no-condition-help-friend-get-home

Up until now this PD has managed to be pretty leak proof.So I wonder if this story has been leaked by some rogue officer or LE has gotten to the point in their investigation were they made the calculated decision to release this info.

Keep in mind the "leak" may not be factually accurate; I've seen more than one leak that had those in-the-know wondering what they were talking about.

Anyone who would jeopardize an investigation is a lowlife anyway IMHO.

even if the leak is planted it may not be factually accurate... there are lots of reasons why misinformation can move the investigation forward...

This is off topic, but I'm curious if there is a way on this website to gauge interest in a certain thread/topic. I know when a story/crime is fresh in the news there is always alot of traffic here, but this case is about two months old, and there is always a high number of people viewing this post. *Currently 41(11 members, 30 non) are on this thread. Even overnight there is like 10-12. That seems like a high number t me in comparison to other cases at the two month mark. Especially since there really have been no breaks in the case.

*I tried to post this earlier, but it didn't work. Those were the numbers at the time.

This is off topic, but I'm curious if there is a way on this website to gauge interest in a certain thread/topic. I know when a story/crime is fresh in the news there is always alot of traffic here, but this case is about two months old, and there is always a high number of people viewing this post. *Currently 41(11 members, 30 non) are on this thread. Even overnight there is like 10-12. That seems like a high number t me in comparison to other cases at the two month mark. Especially since there really have been no breaks in the case.

*I tried to post this earlier, but it didn't work. Those were the numbers at the time.

I don't know the answer to your question. But I can say that the number of guests seems awfully high, and several times a call has gone out to invite more of them to join in as members. (and to the guests, we would love to see more of you come join in!)

In regards to the 'leaked video" and the recent story in lohud - could it be that a friend or someone say who lived in Smallwood was asked to review the video to help identify the persons shown on the video?

I am thinking of someone who early on had a very chatty relationship with the gannet reporters but who may have decided to go anonymous from now on with her information.

Having said that, the "Florence Nightingale" reference seems something an older person would say rather than a college student.

Up until now this PD has managed to be pretty leak proof.So I wonder if this story has been leaked by some rogue officer or LE has gotten to the point in their investigation were they made the calculated decision to release this info.

I wonder if any of the other POI attorney's have seen this video (I believe Salzmann indicated he hadn't). Could be a tactical leak on their part to attempt to get media focus elsewhere by discrediting Salzmann's original story that LS helped him back.

Since the case involves a young person at a college/university, a lot of students are interested, and then you have the connection to two major states.

Our colleges and universities are becoming more dangerous, and therefore, this case is extremely troubling to middle-aged people (like myself), who have been raised to think of college as a wholly beneficial experience. Parents of teenagers are probably wondering if they should send their children away to study with even the best dorms are plagued by drug trafficking and violence.

The number of threads is one gauge. We've filled 20 threads for Lauren. At an average of approx 550 posts per thread, that's 11,000 posts and a new thread every three days, though for the first couple of weeks, we were going through a thread a day. In four days, 340 members have viewed this thread. I don't know the total of guest views, but there have been 24K+ views in total. I wish I had more scientific data to answer your question, but I can tell you that in comparison to other missing persons cases on this board, those numbers are exceptionally high.

OK, I was in bed with this case roiling around in my mind and a couple of things occurred to me.

I can no longer find the story on TG's blog, but at one time he had some tweets by AB. One of them said: Give T an adderall and a flashlight and he will find LS.

Note that he did not say Give T an adderall and he will find LS.

Why did he mention a flashlight and where would you need a flashlight to find someone? What dark place is in the area where LS was last seen?

It seems to me that the ZO/AB crowd would not necessarily hang with the DB/CR/MB/JR crowd, unless there is some common thread we don't know about. Perhaps ZO is the enforcer for someone higher up the food chain.

Was ZO at SW to see DR?

Didn't someone indicate that DR and JR were roommates their freshman year and got into some trouble?

Just trying to connect some dots.

OK, I was in bed with this case roiling around in my mind and a couple of things occurred to me.

I can no longer find the story on TG's blog, but at one time he had some tweets by AB. One of them said: Give T an adderall and a flashlight and he will find LS.

Why did he mention a flashlight and where would you need a flashlight to find someone? What dark place is in the area where LS was last seen?

I had to look up adderall, actually. So it's a med given for ADHD or the sleep disorder narcolepsy, which makes a person sleep at inappropriate times. I initially took it just as a slap at T, i.e., that he'd need focus and illumination, but hmmm ...

One thing that's always bothered me about this case is the amount of construction going on, both near 5 North and in the immediate area. It spooks me, actually. But all of that must have been checked and rechecked. What about crawlspaces in nearby buildings or something like that? Maybe something obvious, with the implication being that T can't see what's right in front of him. Like the dumpster?

I'm on my way to bed, but I'll think on it some more later today ...

I'm guessing the "flashlight" is a bit of a joke, like detectives walking around with flashlights. I wouldn't take it seriously.

Neither would I take the Adderall reference seriously either. IMHO.

Why did JR allegedly say to LS that if she could get to the corner without stumbling, he would let her go home? How did he know that she had been stumbling earlier? Had someone told him? I realize she might have been stumbling around his apt. but something doesn't add up here.

Maybe LS did not go to JR's when she left CR/MB's place. Maybe she decided to go home and was stumbling along when she encountered the person the 3:38 witness described.

Maybe that person was with an enforcer who instructed him to take LS to JR's and the carrier told JR that LS was stumbling and to take care of her.

As someone mentioned, DD's do not want to be around when someone is OD'ing or in trouble, so the carrier leaves JR with LS, considering it JR's problem.

One thing that has always bothered me is that JR got out of town fast, some reports say the morning of June 3, before he could be questioned by police in person. Is he the POI that LE said they were sure would be available if they needed to question him? Has he fled to Barcelona or Israel so that he cannot be questioned directly?

When LE first started talking about the white truck, they mentioned a car. Then they made a big deal about the truck but never mentioned the car again. I would think any vehicle in the area at the time LS disappeared would be of interest.

TG said that when he tried to interview the 3:38 witness a second time, she would not talk to him. I believe his words were, "Somebody got to her." Perhaps that witness saw something important but it was tipping LE's hand and they didn't want to give any POI's a heads up that they had that information.

And when LE said that there is nothing on the video at that time, could that mean that the video did show something 2, 5 or 10 minutes earlier or later?

When one turns the corner onto College from 11th St., how far is it before the video cameras pick that person up?

Am I crazy????
I am baffled by the Spierer's pleas about defining oneself. I cannot figure out who they are talking to.
I could understand if this was 3 days later and LS was tucked somewhere beautifully preserved and someone came forward and said, I tried tell her she'd had enough.

But now, coming clean resulting in the Spierer's finding skeletal remains with accusations that LS may not have been dead.

Even if she passed as a result of something she took herself. No 21 year old is going to feel better about coming clean, now. In fact, nothing will make them feel better about themselves at this point. And even friends will think wow, *advertiser censored* is going to be charged with a felony if I talk and LS took these things herself.

Do you mean this quote?

Link: http://www.lohud.com/article/201107...n-Spierer-s-mother-posts-new-emotional-letter

But outside all that goodness, I've learned there lurks an evil, a cruel, heartless element that cares more about themselves than the life of my daughter.

My interpretation: Does not quite accuse the person or group of killing LS or causing her death, but rather states that LS's life or quality of life is not their priority. The accusation is only that they put own material gain or advantage first.

Of course, a truly heartless and completely selfish person would be completely unmoved by such a accusation; therefore, maybe the author suspects that this person or group actually does care about morality or at least wishes to be appear as having good morals.

That this element of humanity exists in the world is beyond comprehension. Your silence is deafening.

The person or group is not proactively committing a crime, nor have they necessarily committed any crime at any point; but rather they morally err in their failure to act. They are not saying something that should be said, or not doing something that should be done.

Your lack of compassion is irreprehensible. Your lack of respect for another human being which allows you to go day, by day, watching is unimaginable.

The person or group is a passive bystander who observes the situation and fails to act, rather than an aggressive criminal.

Everyone is put on this earth for a purpose.

The person or group should consider their religious or moral principles.

Everyone has a defining moment. In the blink of an eye Lauren disappeared. Do not let this be your defining moment.

Directed towards esp. younger people, who will have decades to live with the guilt if they do not do the right thing now.

You have no idea what you have taken from us.

Means that these silent watchers have taken her family's faith in humanity and the future, and not that they actually abducted LS.

JMO: this message is intended to persuade friends and acquaintances of LS to come forward with any info they may have.

Therefore, the message seems to imply that this case was not a stranger abduction; since anyone reporting LS being seen with a stranger would not be harming their own self-interest.

Nor does it imply that a young person might not being coming forward due to loyalty to a friend or boyfriend. They put their self-interest first.

Whoever is not telling the family or the proper authorities where LS is or what happened that morning is gaining in some material way from not doing so.

The message does not seem to consider the possibility of any actual antipathy on the part of the watchers.

Laugh as you may about particular drugs, especially certain combos.. But they are 100% real, accurate, and used..

The cocaine and LSD stated that they don't go together(or something along those lines) couldnt be more wrong.. They absolutely are used together and even has it's own name of "candy flipping"..

So while some opinions may be that these are not really a possibility so they should be taken with a grain of salt.. The proof is in the fact that these drugs are used and they are used in combination with each other and are so regularly or widely used that they even have their own "names" just as LSD and cocaine taken together has it's own " name "..
Just an FYI..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member