OH OH - Katelyn Markham, 22, Fairfield, 14 August 2011 - #1

yes, but I wonder about something. My daughter works in retail and sometimes she doesn't answer my text for an entire shift if she is busy so I don't think if I texted her and knew she was working if I would get alarmed enough to go out looking for her, something just bothers me

I hope that police are looking into the proximity of his phone/her phone when this pic was supposedly sent to him. I recall a case on Long Island a few years back. Woman was supposedly broken down on the highway and disappeared. Husband said she had either texted or called him (can't remember) What helped solve the case is the proximity of the phones and they were able to determine that HE sent the text from her phone. And now Katelyn's phone is turned off and missing.

The dog. I'd love to know if it was routine for her to leave the dog in the bedroom. And Darcyline is right- unless it was a puppy it could probably go a long time without going to the bathroom and even then would probably not go more than once. My dog can "hold it" quite a while if needed. I'm thinking that dog was in there a lot longer than he is saying.

Do we know when the last time someone saw her besides her fiance?

mamaks5, you're exactly right. If he saw her car- why not be relieved as that meant she would (likely) be inside. I would love to know if he called or stopped by David's Bridal, where she worked, first before he went to her house. That would tell us a TON, in my opinion.

Has anyone seen it reported by the media that the fiance has passed a lie detector test? I remember seeing it mentioned on FB and I'm wondering if this is something he is telling or something the police are telling. I'm going to try to find that again- that has been bugging me too. All kinds of hinkyness about this case!

yes, but I wonder about something. My daughter works in retail and sometimes she doesn't answer my text for an entire shift if she is busy so I don't think if I texted her and knew she was working if I would get alarmed enough to go out looking for her, something just bothers me

Her family called the police;
She didn't show up for work on Sunday at either of her two jobs-at the Art Institute of Ohio or David's Bridal. That's when family members began to worry and called police.

Her BF went to check on her:
Katelyn's fiance John Carter spoke again today to Local 12's Deb Dixon. He recalled the moment he says he realized Katelyn was missing. "Driving in between these two buildings here, I could see that her car was still here and that, my heart just dropped immediately because I knew she'd have to be a work."

Posted by SUMMER_BREEZE pg1 post #2

http://www.local12.com/news/local/s...n-Case-of-Missing/Hb8WfZ0rpkuNpRRLpddC-w.cspx

"I just want people to know that I feel she's still alive, and people are telling me that she's still around, so I want to keep that faith, I want to keep my spirits up and everything," said John Carter, Katelyn's fiance.

Well if people are telling him "she's around" where is she???

Well if people are telling him "she's around" where is she???

That seems cruel to be telling him she is around unless they know where she is. I'm sure he wants to believe she is alive and nothing has happened. I hope and pray that she is alive.

It doesn't look good.

here's the latest article

http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/what-happened-to-katelyn-markham--1232476.html

"Police are investigating any and all possibilities, ranging from she picked up her life somewhere else to a situation where foul play is involved, he said."

Markham’s future mother-in-law, Karyn Winkler, said the family has its own theories as to what happened the night she went missing.

“Her family and our family are kind of feeling like someone has taken her, someone possibly that she knew,” she said.

Winkler said the family believes Markham answered a knock on the door while she was sleeping — her bed looked like it had been slept in that night, and the only thing missing is her cellphone.

Another thing that puzzles me- it's been reported that her dog was found in the bedroom. If I am answering the door after midnight (which I would not do) I am bringing my dog with me. Was the dog in a crate for the night that was in the bedroom? If no crate that would mean she either left the dog in the closed bedroom when she went to answer the door (according to the above theory) which I find an odd thing to do, or she went BACK to put the dog away after she answered the door. If this is the case, she must have been coaxed away by someone she knew and trusted. Of course there is also the theory that the dog was put there after the fact by the alleged abductor.

At 12:52 a.m. Sunday, he received a picture of Markham on his cellphone, sent via text message from her phone.

... her cellphone, which Carter’s mother, Karyn Winkler, said was turned off around 12:45 a.m. Sunday. The GPS tracking device on the phone also had been turned off.
=======================================================

So the cell phone was TURNED OFF @ 12:45 am,
yet the fiance receives picture/text @ 12:52.

Does it take 7 minutes to receive a text after a cell is turned off?

Another thing that puzzles me- it's been reported that her dog was found in the bedroom. If I am answering the door after midnight (which I would not do) I am bringing my dog with me. Was the dog in a crate for the night that was in the bedroom? If no crate that would mean she either left the dog in the closed bedroom when she went to answer the door (according to the above theory) which I find an odd thing to do, or she went BACK to put the dog away after she answered the door. If this is the case, she must have been coaxed away by someone she knew and trusted. Of course there is also the theory that the dog was put there after the fact by the alleged abductor.

Funny you should say this. Earlier tonite I was going to post something, but didn't. I guess I will now though!
I live alone with 3 small dogs. When I read the description of how the scene was left I thought, that is exactly how it would appear if I was abducted. My dogs are at best, ankle biters. And my instinct is to keep them out of harms way. If I was awoken by a strange noise that I wanted to investigate, or a knock on my door, I'd lock the dogs in the bedroom behind me (I have a baby gate on the door) and head out to check, with cell phone in hand (to call 911). And my small dogs would leave 2 puddles and 2 piles each if left alone from late at night until late the next day. So, even though I think the cell phone picture tells me that I don't think this was an abduction, clearly I could make a case that the scene makes it look as one to me!
I can only think, given that her phone was turned off, and a picture of her was sent, that this is either a case of suicide, or that someone she knew harmed her and is trying to make it look like something it isn't.

7 minutes is not unreasonable for an MMS msg to reach its destination phone--especially if there are any hiccups in between. e.g., different cell phone provider networks, poor reception on the receiving phone's end, etc.

Despite being engaged, and KM having the townhouse to herself, they chose not to spend a Saturday night together? Maybe due to both having to work the next day. Tho how early on a Sunday is a retail store likely to open.

The possibility of stranger-stalker abduction seems less in this case than in say, the Holly Bobo case. The fact that KM lived with her father, who however was in the process of moving out, mitigates against a stranger-stalker taking a chance on the father being home. Unless they somehow determined that he wouldn't be there that night.

Strange case. Seems like clearing the fiance should be fairly straightforward, if he's in fact completely innocent of any involvement.

I can only think, given that her phone was turned off, and a picture of her was sent, that this is either a case of suicide, or that someone she knew harmed her and is trying to make it look like something it isn't.

Have they released that cell phone pic? Probably can discern quite a bit of information from it.

Was it obviously taken by her, at arm's length or less? Or in a mirror? Or does it appear to have been taken by someone else?

And what's the look on KM's face in the picture?

http://www.journal-news.com/news/hamilton-news/what-happened-to-katelyn-markham--1232476.html

I have been commenting in the wrong place, that's the story of my life. Above is the latest article. I live in Fairfield and this case has me VERY stressed, I'm bad with miles but I believe this is about 3 miles from my house and the police are telling us so little that there is a little fear factor at this point.

Her condo/apartment different news outlets say condo/apartment so I'm not sure but her residence is VERY close to the location of a local festival that took place that weekend, trying to ask around to see if she went to the festival.

I must say my gut (and some locals involved closely with the search) is leaning towards this NOT being a stranger abduction.

She lived in Fairfield and worked in a local area called Tri-County someone asked earlier if it would have been closer for the BF to check her residence then driving to her work and it would have been.

Fairfield is NOT a high crime area, everyone that I have talked to her says she's responsible, kind, family is important but it's her dad I haven't heard anything about her mom so again asking around about that.

They have called off the searches.

Funny you should say this. Earlier tonite I was going to post something, but didn't. I guess I will now though!
I live alone with 3 small dogs. When I read the description of how the scene was left I thought, that is exactly how it would appear if I was abducted. My dogs are at best, ankle biters. And my instinct is to keep them out of harms way. If I was awoken by a strange noise that I wanted to investigate, or a knock on my door, I'd lock the dogs in the bedroom behind me (I have a baby gate on the door) and head out to check, with cell phone in hand (to call 911). And my small dogs would leave 2 puddles and 2 piles each if left alone from late at night until late the next day. So, even though I think the cell phone picture tells me that I don't think this was an abduction, clearly I could make a case that the scene makes it look as one to me!

Thanks for posting this! I was looking at it purely from a big-dog-owner perspective. My dog is 80# with a mean big dog bark (although he's anything but mean) and beats me to the door when the doorbell rings. There would be no locking him in a room once he hears that-he's on the steps barking his fool head off. So knowing the difference between this and an "ankle biter owner" perspective is important. I believe her dog was described as being on the smaller side.

I'm leaning more and more toward this was someone she knew/trusted who coaxed her away.

7 minutes is not unreasonable for an MMS msg to reach its destination phone--especially if there are any hiccups in between. e.g., different cell phone provider networks, poor reception on the receiving phone's end, etc.

Despite being engaged, and KM having the townhouse to herself, they chose not to spend a Saturday night together? Maybe due to both having to work the next day. Tho how early on a Sunday is a retail store likely to open.

The possibility of stranger-stalker abduction seems less in this case than in say, the Holly Bobo case. The fact that KM lived with her father, who however was in the process of moving out, mitigates against a stranger-stalker taking a chance on the father being home. Unless they somehow determined that he wouldn't be there that night.

Strange case. Seems like clearing the fiance should be fairly straightforward, if he's in fact completely innocent of any involvement.

BBM: David's Bridal opens at noon on Sundays.

so the family thinks someone came to the door and took her away. I'm not sure that works for me either. She was sleeping (bed appeared slept in). It's late at night. Someone comes to the door. The dog(s) are left in the bedroom. And someone takes her but she still has her cellphone with her?

So the person who abducted her allowed/told her to get dressed and she manages to pocket the cell phone, too? But later the cell phone is turned off. If the abductor came to the door, why would he let her bring her cell phone along only to turn it off at some point not much later?

The only way portions of this scenario might work is if the someone who came to the door was someone she knew and trusted. The someone suggests they go out to talk (or whatever). Then she willingly gets dressed (presumably, though I haven't heard anything about what she might be wearing), puts or closes the dogs in the bedroom (thinking she'll be back shortly) and goes willing with the someone.

How far apart does the fiance live from her house? Does anyone know?

Sometimes I have my phone shut off, or the battery dies and I have to recharge it. When I turn my phone back on, any text messages I get will be timestamped for whatever time they hit my phone when it was turned back on, not necessarily when they were sent. So if my phone is turned off for 3 hours, I could get a message that was sent at 7am, but it will say 10am.

So it's possible she sent the message earlier, but maybe he didn't have his phone on and didn't get it until later?

She could not have slept for too long because she sent the picture (presuming it is she who sent the picture). She didn't have to be at work until noon the next day, so it's not that unusual that she would stay up until 1 a.m. IMO.

Also, I read in one of the articles that LE was trying to determine what she was wearing when she was last seen and then compare that to the clothing she had in the apt. That tells me that the picture that was sent didn't show any clothing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back