Identified! PA - Philadelphia, 'Boy in the Box', WhtMale 4-6, 4UMPA, Feb'57

Status
Not open for further replies.
This lady was just listed.She seems to fit who the boy in the box's mother could be.European ancestry?I wonder if DNA could be checked.

Johanna de Haas

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/12580/0

Does anyone know, on the site linked here, it says DNA status: Sample Submitted - Tests complete What does that mean? Does that mean it has been check for possible matches in the system? I am still learning... TIA

i don't know how this might relate to this but the show cold case done an episode about a boy in a box but they ended it turning out to be be the nun's child who worked at orphanage not sure if that episode was based on this case or not but reading about this poor child made me think of that episode and how it could be connected somehow or maybe might help solve it somehow

I don't know.. But I would go. I am not far from there. This case has bothered me for years. I just don't understand the depravity of some people.. I have a little boy about this boys age and size.. I can not imagine.. I just can't.

I have been looking at the links provided and am hoping in my lifetime, This child gets a name.
I pray he gets his name too.Very sad.

They checked in the morgue if Terry Lee Speece was the boy in the box.I'm curious if Terry Speeces father Charles Speece looked like this sketch.If any one knows or finds a picture of him and let me know.

Artist renderings of the Boy in the box and what his father might have looked like.

http://americasunknownchild.net/Artists.html

The anniversary of when this little one was found is coming up.Are they or anyone going to have a vigil for him this year?Are they going to run a newspaper article on him at least to try and generate leads.Do something.Anything.This case is not too cold.Someone knows who this little boy is.I will not give up on this little boy.He deserves so much better than this.He deserves his name.

From the America's unknown boy website

Does any one know who these people were who lived in oxford circle.

<modsnip>

In August 2000, while searching through the original case files, Vidocq Society investigators, Bill Kelly and Joseph McGillen, discovered an index card confirming that in March, 1957 the lead about the hasty overnight departure of a mysterious tenant family in the Oxford Circle area had been provided to the Philadelphia police. The card also bore the name of a female neighbor whom police had interviewed after getting that tip. The neighbor had babysat for the tenant family during the short time they lived in the neighborhood. She testified that there was a young boy in that family, but he was only 2-1/2 years old at the time (rather than the unknown boy's estimated age of 4 or 5), and that he bore no resemblance to the unknown boy in the box. There was a reference number on the index card to a page number in one of the master books containing the actual interview with the neighbor, but the Vidocq investigators were unable to locate the specific report. However, the brief information on the index card provided sufficient evidence that the lead was checked out in 1957 and found to be of no value in the case.

http://americasunknownchild.net/

I think this lead makes the most sense to me.It was not far from where he was found.They were there about 9 months.Out of town family.Not many people probably knew them.The children were probably born somewhere else.But I feel the new baby if there was one was possibly born around there somewhere.I feel they should look into this again or someone should.

I stumbled across this thread the other day, and it's got me hooked. I wonder, has anyone explored the possibility that the bruising on this child was the result of a clumsy attempt at restraint during a grand mal seizure? The bruising on his chest and upper arms could have been from someone sitting on him and holding his arms - likewise, the fact that almost all of the bruising is on his lower legs makes me think that this may have been someone trying to hold him down.

I understand that he actually died of head injuries - head injuries are not uncommon in people who have seizures. As far as I can tell, the autopsy report is not available, but I'd be interested to know if there is any evidence of posterior dislocations of the shoulders, or limb fractures.

Punishment from running away from orphan: the nuns cut all your hair off
why would someone need an incision on ankle: because they are hypovolemic
what causes hypovolemia: blood loss, dehydrated, severe vomiting, severe diarrhea.
(hypovolemia is brought on by SALT depletion, differs from dehydration)
a blow to the stomache can cause acute pancreatitis.
a hemmorrage in the intestines would need surgical repair & fluids.
dye in the eye can check blood vessels
the skin would appear extremely pale
was the boy Swedish? Karolinska hospital had 1 doctor that invented the groin incision for checking the heart, Seldinger Technique
this same hospital had a doctor that won a nobel prize for eye research on cats.
the eye doctor came over to the US in 1955. He then went to work with a doctor from Quebec Canada & furthered their eye research on cats.
Was wondering if maybe the boy was a Swedish immigrant that had perhaps been at the Karolinska hospital at one time? Was he then put in a Canadian Orphanage?

I believe the "M" story was a hoax. I read old newspaper accounts of this case and the lady could have gotten every single one of those details from the newspaper accounts.
the newspaper accounts also say the boy had.... Brown Hair.
The doe network says hair is Brown, light Brown , or Blonde
I believe his hair was brown.

if he was a runaway from an orphanage, & was getting the usual punishment of getting his hair cut off, he was probably fighting whoever was cutting it, leaving the fingerprint bruising on the head, & causing the "hurried" haircut look.
where ever he was sounds like another "Pennhurst".
Some body is covering up orphanage abuse.
Where are the Doctors that worked at the orphanages.
I'm sure there are too many orphanages to check....
Abuse was commonplace, all you have to do is read the stories of children who went to some of the orphanages in Pittsburgh.
One lady says that one Nun liked to slam kids heads in the wall if they were misbehaving, so her little brother ended up having seizures because of it.

I'll repost this again.

The anniversary of when this little one was found is coming up tommorrow.Are they or anyone going to have a vigil for him this year?Are they going to run a newspaper article on him at least to try and generate leads.Do something.Anything.This case is not too cold.Someone knows who this little boy is.I will not give up on this little boy.He deserves so much better than this.He deserves his name.I pray they find out who he is very soon.

Please do not forget about this sweet little boy..Someone knows who this little boy is.

More at the link

http://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/...-the-box-still-unsolved-after-55-years-2.html

The Boy in the Box: Still Unsolved After 55 Years
By: Jeff Nilsson

Philadelphia police search the field where the box, and boy, were found.

This month marks the 55th anniversary of one of America&#8217;s great unsolved crimes. We say &#8216;month&#8217; because no one has ever known the exact date. We don&#8217;t even know who the victim was.

He is referred to as &#8220;The Boy in the Box,&#8221; and his death continues to haunt people because there is so much we still don&#8217;t know. Over five decades of inquiry, we still don&#8217;t know why this boy was beaten to death. Or why the evidence didn&#8217;t offer a single, good lead. Or how a child could disappear without anyone noticing.

As the Post reported it, the case didn&#8217;t appear so baffling at first. The crime scene&#8212;an empty field beside a country road near Philadelphia&#8212;offered several promising pieces of evidence.

Unbelievably frustrating. I wish I could think of something useful to do, but I can't. I do think that there are people out there who know who this boy is, but are too scared to come forward.

You never know, though.

Unbelievably frustrating. I wish I could think of something useful to do, but I can't. I do think that there are people out there who know who this boy is, but are too scared to come forward.

You never know, though.

Philadelphia People were living as adult in 1957, is now either 73+ yr old living somewhere or been deceased for awhile. Most were not into computer savvy nor modern technology stuffs. They won't aware of the UID boy unless the city PD writes an article & photo about him in today newspapers for the effort to ID him.

I'm pretty convinced if there was a boy 12 to 14 years old (and I do believe strongly it was a boy not a girl) with a woman seen near the car of where this little boy in the box was found that he is alive today and knows very well of what happened.Please give him his name please.

I'm pretty convinced if there was a boy 12 to 14 years old (and I do believe strongly it was a boy not a girl) with a woman seen near the car of where this little boy in the box was found that he is alive today and knows very well of what happened.Please give him his name please.

In their late 60's though. I suppose it's possible that someone might make a death-bed 'confession', although I think it's improbable that the person actually responsible for his death is still alive.

Please do not forget about this sweet little boy..Someone knows who this little boy is.

More at the link

http://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/...-the-box-still-unsolved-after-55-years-2.html

The Boy in the Box: Still Unsolved After 55 Years
By: Jeff Nilsson

Philadelphia police search the field where the box, and boy, were found.

This month marks the 55th anniversary of one of America&#8217;s great unsolved crimes. We say &#8216;month&#8217; because no one has ever known the exact date. We don&#8217;t even know who the victim was.

He is referred to as &#8220;The Boy in the Box,&#8221; and his death continues to haunt people because there is so much we still don&#8217;t know. Over five decades of inquiry, we still don&#8217;t know why this boy was beaten to death. Or why the evidence didn&#8217;t offer a single, good lead. Or how a child could disappear without anyone noticing.

As the Post reported it, the case didn&#8217;t appear so baffling at first. The crime scene&#8212;an empty field beside a country road near Philadelphia&#8212;offered several promising pieces of evidence.

If he had lived he would be what, 59 or 60 years old now. He would probably have had a wife and kids. His children would have been adults by now. He probably would have had grandkids.

Does anyone out there wonder what his children would have looked like? Do they wonder what he would have done with his life... if he had lived? How many children would he have had and how many grandkids?

In his lifetime would he have mentored a child, helped an elderly person or given blood? How about his children, what would they have accomplished? What did the world lose when they lost this child?

When a child dies it is more than the loss of a person. It is the loss of possibilities. Perhaps he would have become a researcher and would have found a cure for AIDS. Or perhaps he would have run into a burning building and saved a child. Perhaps he could have been the one who was meant to reach out to a troubled child and help to guide them to a better path. Perhaps he would have been a good father and grandfather. Now we will never know.

I had the honor of visiting his little grave recently. I sat on the white bench and talked to him and prayed in Jesus's name again he will get his name. It was very moving and very special to me. There were toys and a car on his grave site. I put a cloth rose in the ground for him.It feels good for me to know people have not forgot him. I promised him I will never quit looking for who he is. I asked him who are you? What do you want me to do to find out who you are? Show me or someone the way. It is time. He needs his real name on his grave. But he needs the truth also.He does deserve that. I promised him I will never quit looking for who he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam