WI WI - Evelyn Hartley, 15, La Crosse, 24 Oct 1953

So if this was the perp's jacket then it sounds like he carried her on his back. What's strange is that there isn't much on the sleeves, leading me to believe this was a two-man job. He was the carrier, the other guy was the retriever.

I wonder if the shortened hem served some type of purpose, like keeping out of the way of some type of machine used or work belt, or was a safety thing (ie it was a work shirt but if he was shorter the shirt could have hung low enough to get stuck in some gears or whatnot).

Or the shirt had got caught and was ripped and then was mended by removing the torn piece and shortened.

Just as I satisfy myself that it wasn't Gein I find myself reading something that makes me wonder again.
I do find it odd that Gus helped him dig and it seems two people were with Evelyn. It would be interesting to see if any obituaries included burials near where Evelyn was babysitting. Also I wonder what car Gus had.

Gus wasnt able to drive, he was a neighbor of Gein's that was considered very 'slow' which is why they think that he was so easy for Gein to convince to help in the start. Gus ended up in an asylum a few years before Evelyn went missing so he couldnt have been involved, Its so strange though, Gus had no problem at all helping Gein not only dig UP the graves, but open the coffin and help Gein 'harvest' what he wanted from the dead body. He never told on Gein or acted as if what he helped Gein do was abnormal in any way - he also was never brought into Gein's trial.

I go back and forth with the Gein thing, he was very much scared of being outside the comfort zone so I doubt he would go so far away BUT there were bodies found on the farm that werent dead bodies taken from the local area - which they felt were murdered, not taken after they are dead.

Just another piece of info, during the huge search for Evelyn, all or at least most new graves in the La Crosse area were re-opened in case her body was hidden in one. They seemed to search all over in addition to new graves, including the sewer(her brother helped search the sewer) in the rivers , the surrounding bluffs (hills) farms, woods and so on.

Just another piece of info, during the huge search for Evelyn, all or at least most new graves in the La Crosse area were re-opened in case her body was hidden in one. They seemed to search all over in addition to new graves, including the sewer(her brother helped search the sewer) in the rivers , the surrounding bluffs (hills) farms, woods and so on.

Thats part of what I dont get - it seems so odd to me that the search started so quickly and was so in depth but nothing of her body was ever found, though some of her clothing was.

Hope you dont mind me asking questions haha, but you seem to be from the area.. Does the area seem like one that you could get rid of a body easily that quickly?

There is something strange about it to me - why would someone throw out her (and his) clothing without attempting to hide it whatsoever but nothing ever has been found in regards to her body (or the other clothing that she was wearing)

We know that she went to the home wearing jeans & shirt, socks & shoes, panties and bra and a jacket.. I cant remember what was missing from the crime scene, other than the shoes was all of her clothing gone?

It just seems that the person obviously removed her clothing as her panties and bra were thrown out found, why keep her jeans/shirt but toss the panties and bra? They didnt attempt to hide the panties and bra at all, why? The whole lack of a pad thing confuses me too. Something was done to her body and remaining clothing that we have never found so much as a hint of her, why take that much care to hide those things but just toss her underthings?

Another thing I dont get - Im so shocked that nobody came forward with any info in regards to the shoes and jacket.. Mostly the jacket as it had been hemmed in such an unusual manner that was sure to attract attention - the jacket was also very worn so its not like the person didnt wear it all the time.

And another issue I have in regards to the investigation -

The shoes had a odd wear pattern on the bottom of them that showed owner frequently operated a Whizzer motorbike. According to the Whizzer website there werent really ever that many made (1000 in 1939, 1400 in 1940), why not look further into that? You find the bike and you could find a link to the person that did this - the bottom of the shoe would be a perfect match to the top of the pedal of the bike.

Whizzer was redesigned numerous times so it doesnt seem all that diffcult to be able to match the wear pattern to the model of bike it matched and go from there attempting to find the amount of people that purchased that model? If that was too difficult, why not offer some sort of reward for people to come forward and give any sort of info on anyone they knew used that sort of bike?

On that note - why not offer a reward for someone that could indentify any of the found things as to belonging to someone they know?

I'm thinking, if she was stabbed, it happened without having her coat on. Maybe the jacket/jeans were passed to a girlfriend or wife who wasn't in the 'know' and the shirt (found in the cemetry I think) bra and panties were disgarded because they would be harder to pass off, too personal to give away. As for the pad methinks kept as a trophy or disgarded in a hedge bottom.

edited to add Punklove beat me to the 'clothes' theory.

Found what she was wearing that day - A size 34 plain white Ship n' Shore blouse, size 16 red denim White Stag jeans and white bobby socks.

Id thnk that anything she was wearing would be very blood stained due to the amount of blood at the scene. I think you could be right about the pad thing.

Sizes were labeled different then, so to some those sizes sound big, but Evelyn was a tall slim girl.

Punklove, I am not from the area but my dad grew up there and I have relatives in the area, so we go almost every year for a visit, so I know my way around pretty much. My dad went to the same high school as her, a year younger, but did not know her. He and many relatives remember how it all was when it happened.

There are a lot of areas a body could be hidden. I think she has not been found because she was taken out of the LaCrosse area. I think there is more to the LaFarge story, and that is a very remote, hilly area and I'm not sure the police looked real hard out that way.I read somewhere police did come out to that area in the 1960s , like they had a hunch or were told something, but left after looking around a bit. . All of the LaFarge stories mention police seem to know the house she was taken to(if those two men did it) and where she was buried. They have said though, if she was buried where they think she was, her body may no longer be there due to many floods in the area.

On one of the You Tube videos I posted a few months ago earlier in this thread, on video #5 I believe there are men from the area who came forward saying they suspected it was this man they worked with, and they swore he had the same jacket that was found. I'm not sure if this man is one of the same men in the La Farge stories. They did say that after Evelyn vanished, they never saw this man wear his jacket again. Before, he wore it all the time...

Just looked at the Whizzer bikes, maybe the jacket was shortened to look like a bikers jacket, cheap version. The police today would check every owner of the bikes in the Wisconsin state, what a clue. I guess records were not kept as they are today.

Just looked at the Whizzer bikes, maybe the jacket was shortened to look like a bikers jacket, cheap version. The police today would check every owner of the bikes in the Wisconsin state, what a clue. I guess records were not kept as they are today.

The jacket was hemmed in an odd manner, how do 'biker' jackets look? The jacket also had faded marks that said it looked as those the person worn a harness, wonder what that could mean.

Thats something I didnt understand, if you took into the amount of the bikes sold there werent that many to begin with. Focus on Wi and the states around WI to begin with and go from there. Doesnt seem so difficult but there must have been some reason they didnt?

Actually they did look into it. The checked out all the owners of Whizzers(and there were many) in La Crosse County, not statewide though, why I don't know. They also checked out all stores, locally and statewide.,that sold the type of shoe that left the footprint, called a "11 Hood Mogul" This info is the book I always mention in this thread.

The jacket was hemmed in an odd manner, how do 'biker' jackets look? The jacket also had faded marks that said it looked as those the person worn a harness, wonder what that could mean.

Thats something I didnt understand, if you took into the amount of the bikes sold there werent that many to begin with. Focus on Wi and the states around WI to begin with and go from there. Doesnt seem so difficult but there must have been some reason they didnt?

Will check it out tomorrow, have to go to bed now to get up for work.

This link might work, old biker jackets
http://oscarapparel.blogspot.com/2009_07_01_archive.html

Actually they did look into it. The checked out all the owners of Whizzers(and there were many) in La Crosse County, not statewide though, why I don't know. They also checked out all stores, locally and statewide.,that sold the type of shoe that left the footprint, called a "11 Hood Mogul" This info is the book I always mention in this thread.

I am just dying to read that book!! Its $20 on amazon, Im thinking about ordering it.

I was just in the middle of reposting this. Thanks Robin Hood!

I cant believe I didnt see this yet, watching now! When I clicked on the link there is another video to the side that is a trailer for a movie about Evelyn (doesnt look like it went anywhere really) But the trailer has a couple interviews with people that knew her and shows a video of the house - its no where near as cool as the link you posted but neat to see the interviews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nuDr_CTI20&feature=related

Just watching part one of the video -

Apparently the family didnt leave until 6:45, not 6:30 like the newspapers said, the neighbors heard screams at 7:10-7:15 so that narrows the time frame down quite a bit.

Also, I noticed the power meter is right by the basement window, I wonder if they checked all the workers that would have been reading that meter?

The crime scene photos just make me sick, its awful seeing the 'pry' marks on the windows and her glasses smashed on the ground.

As sad as it sounds most of the time when I think of this case its more about being curious and wanting to figure out what happened, but seeing the photos and reactions of people that love her really just make me angry.

Someone that could do this more than likely has murdered people before and its awful that he never got caught or punished for being such an evil waste of space. :furious:

I was so hopeful when those college men were working on that video about Evelyn. Then they dropped it.It really bugs me, they were doing a good job. I hope they keep the footage. Evelyn's classmates/friends aren't getting any younger and someday anyone who knew her will be all gone. I'm glad they still have the trailer on You Tube, and hope they will revive it one day. The female voice you hear when they are showing the house is Susan Hessel, the author of the book Where's Evelyn?

On a lighter note, that news clip totally reminded me of The Mary Tyler Moore Show. lol

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back