FL - Sarah Lunde, 13, murdered, Ruskin, 9 April 2005

KatherineQ said:
KK - it's not really clear the mom intended to leave her home alone - the stories state she came home unexpectedly early - (maybe she was bored, maybe the thing ended unexpectedly early, or the info from the church was unclear, or her ride had an emergency, who knows). I think she wasn't expected home until Sunday.

But even so, the mother didn't think anything was wrong until Monday. She "assumed" her daughter had spent the night with a friend and then went to check the school to see if she was there on Monday...that is when she reported her missing. This story is a sad one. I think this little girl has lead a sad life and has been let down by many adults.

Does not look good for Sarah she is in my prayers. It is just so so sad that this child was missing all day Sunday and no one even knew.

KatherineQ said:
Who told the boy that someone had already picked her up for church, I wonder? If it was the OTHER brother, this could all patch together and still be believable, if he answered the door, went to her room and she was gone he could have assumed she'd already been picked up.

Otherwise, it looks really really fishy that someone would lie like that.
Yeah, I find it believable but I also find it very sad that this family seems to be so disconnected from each other. If I were to come home at 4 in the morning, with the door standing open, and my 13 year-old sister gone, I would have probably been trying to contact our other siblings and mother & pacing back & forth until I heard from someone. If the other brother didn't know, then her brother that discovered her missing must have simply shut the door and went to bed, perhaps assuming that she left on her own like her mother originally thought. My 16 year-old wouldn't dare leave on her own, so if she wasn't home when we got here, we'd all know that something was terribly wrong, (and we're not the poster family for perfect relationships either).

http://news.tbo.com/news/MGB3UMBGI7E.html

RUSKIN - As hordes of law enforcement officers and volunteers scoured rural Ruskin for missing 13-year-old Sarah Michelle Lunde on Wednesday, investigators focused attention on a convicted sex offender who had a relationship with the teen's mother. David Onstott, 36, was arrested Tuesday night on charges unrelated to the disappearance of Sarah, who has not been seen since early Sunday.

snip

Gee confirmed that Onstott had a relationship with Sarah's mother, Kelly May. He did not elaborate but said the relationship ended months ago and Onstott has not been around the family or their home on 30th Street Southeast since.

But Sarah's older brother, Andrew, 17, said Onstott showed up at the house early Sunday morning - just hours after he last saw his sister.

``He just showed up out of the blue,'' Andrew Lunde said Wednesday at the sheriff's office command post set up at First Apostolic Church of Jesus Christ, where the family attends services. ``It was strange.''

Eerily similar to the Lunsford case isn't it? :(

Regarding the mother not being there....if my interpretation of the story is correct the mother DIDN'T expect Sarah home until Sunday. Still, that's no excuse for not checking around to see where she was on Sunday and no excuse for the older brothers to alert someone of her disappearing. I also find it hard to believe the church leaders would just let her come home early without making sure someone was available to pick her up. Either the girl lied to her mother about when she was suppose to be home or the trip "officially" ended early. According to reports the mission trip was in Apopka, which is 100+ miles from Ruskin. This girl wasn't somewhere close by that she could simply leave and walk home. So far I haven't heard HOW she got home from church, whether someone from church dropped her off, she walked or what. I checked the church address and it is also on 30th St SE, so I suspect she walked. As I sad before, I work with the youth at my church but I'd NEVER let one walk home even if it was close by. Our youth are under adult supervision at ALL times until a parent shows up to pick them up.

As far as the whys in this case, do remember that these are people who live in a totally different world than use, just like Trena Gage. I won't judge people on their socio-economic status, but I've found that typically in areas like this with poor single mothers and a lot of dysfunctional families they just don't think like us. It's almost like their brains are not wired to think like us.

Oh...and the sex offender arrested in a unrelated incident IS Ontott. He was also arrested for failing to notify authorites of his current address. Does this sound eerily familiar? I've got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Here's a link to Onstotts arrest info

http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/pub/default.asp?/Online/qdisp/bn=05023899

I tried to check the registry for this guy, and once again, the Florida site does not work for me. I think it works one out of every fifty times I try it. Is it just me or does this site fall well short?

JerseyGirl said:
I tried to check the registry for this guy, and once again, the Florida site does not work for me. I think it works one out of every fifty times I try it. Is it just me or does this site fall well short?

I've used it for years- always works for me...

Jersey doesn't even have one!!!

I have not had any problems with the Florida site myself...but was unable to find him on the site. I think when they are arrested and taken off the streets for crimes other than a sex offense they may remove them from the site. The reason I say this is because Couey showed up on the FDLE database before his arrest in GA but was no longer on it after he was arrested. I was unable to look Onstott up before his arrest because his name was not released until the arrest.

Although reports say there were 24 registered offenders in Ruskin...the FDLE database tells me that there are 25, not including Onstott. 2 of the 25 are absconded...making it 23 that they know where are, add Onstott and that would make 24. I guess when they release numbers they don't include absconded offenders? :waitasec: (I'd think absconded ones would be the focus!)

Tampabay: Attention shifts to sex offender in Lunde case

Gee stopped short of calling Onstott a suspect, or even a person of interest. He gave no details about the man's interview with detectives...

"I think it's clear, he has our attention," Gee said of Onstott, 34. "I'm not going to label him at this time. We are looking at everybody thoroughly..."

His father, David Onstott Sr., said a lawyer who represented his son in a previous assault case called this week and said "my son is suspect No. 1 in this..."

His father said he doubted Onstott has anything to do with Sarah's disappearance.

"I can't believe he would hurt a young girl," Onstott Sr. said

Church members last saw Sarah about 9 p.m. Saturday, when they dropped her off at home after a youth rally in Lake Apopka...

"She was left home a lot and it was so dark out there," (Reverend) Cook said. "We were always concerned about Sarah's safety."

So the church just dropped her off?!! :doh:

I guess big city churches like mine are much different than small rural churches

lady-eowyn said:
I think when they are arrested and taken off the streets for crimes other than a sex offense they may remove them from the site.
Actually, go to advanced settings beneath the area where you type in the information, and you can change the search criteria to include absconded, in-state, out-of-state, etc., or you can click to check all. See if that works for you.

Just curious...what kind of problems have you had with it Jersey? A few times I've had difficulty connecting, but I think that was more that the server was just overloaded...within minutes I was able to get onto it. I'll admit it's not the best of the best...after comparing each state's the other day Florida ranks somewhere in the upper middle

I think that the information on the site is very useful but when I type in the information and click submit, I get the search page again. No matter what information I type, I get right back to the search page as if I've done nothing at all. Am I doing something wrong?

JerseyGirl said:
Actually, go to advanced settings beneath the area where you type in the information, and you can change the search criteria to include absconded, in-state, out-of-state, etc., or you can click to check all. See if that works for you.
It doesn't matter which options are checked...he is not in the database...nor is Couey...that's why I think they take them off when they are arrested. Which is weird because there are incarcerated offenders on the site...

ETA...no, that can't be it..because I just checked a few of the incarcerated offenders and they are incarcerated on other charges

JerseyGirl said:
I think that the information on the site is very useful but when I type in the information and click submit, I get the search page again. No matter what information I type, I get right back to the search page as if I've done nothing at all. Am I doing something wrong?
Give me an example of what you are typing in and in what fields

My respect for that man just climbs by the day...he is one amazing person!!

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=13280

Ruskin, Florida - Sarah Lunde's older brother Andrew says David Onstott was in the family home just five hours after Sarah was last seen.

At about 2 AM, all was quiet in the Ruskin home, as Andrew Lunde came in and noticed a half finished bottle of beer on a corner table.
Andrew Lunde / Sarah's brother:
"Around 5 AM, a man named David knocked on the door and asked if my mother was home. And I told him, 'No, she's gone for the weekend.' And he came inside, grabbed the bottle, and left."

Andrew Lunde says Onstott and his mother, Kelly May, were a couple for two months a "few years ago," and that Onstott would still show up at the home unannounced every few months.

Doesn't look good folks!

Did you see the video interview of the brother on the Tampa Bay's 10 link? \

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=13290

it's below Sarah's picture...

This wasn't a close knit family by any means....sounds like Onstott wasn't well liked by the children either.

Gosh...now I am feeling guilty because I'm not down there volunteering, but I have a deadline to meet today and simply cannot get away :confused:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintexas
Back