TX - 10 dead, 12 injured in Goliad County crash: 22 people in a Ford F-250 pickup

DWT's! Prayers to all involved!

To have that many passengers, something's up, imo. This is no ordinary family outing.:moo:

To have that many passengers, something's up, imo. This is no ordinary family outing.:moo:

If it turns out to be a family outing, I can't imagine they left in 1 truck, 23 people, + fishing poles, or hunting rifles, or whatever? Maybe they left in 2 vehicles, and 1 broke down? I don't know, I'm just trying to apply common sense to putting 23 people, some of them kids, in an F-250.

13 dead, 10 injured in South Texas pickup truck crash (kvue.com)
GOLIAD, Texas -- Authorities said a pickup truck crashed in South Texas Sunday night, killing at least 13 people in the vehicle and injuring 10 others.

The overnight count of 11 fatalities in the wreck was raised to 13 after two of the injured passed away in the hospital.
---
UPDATE: 13 killed in Goliad County crash (ksat.com)
---
According to KIII-TV, the passengers are believed to be illegal immigrants. ICE and Border Patrol agents were called to assist with the investigation.
---

more at the links above

It was mentioned earlier that illegals would probably be dropped shortly after crossing the border, this is seldom the case. Those that pay a coyote toi bring them across usually find themselves hostage until the "new rate" (that was unknown until the immigrant is in the US) is paid off.

Google some pictures of Ford F-250s, jjenny. An F-250 isn't an SUV. It has a back bed that can be open to air. Can also have a special topper which can be removed. Most probably in this situation it was open to air. So, the people in the back bed of the truck were probably sitting around the perimeter. Lot of space for occupants then.

Or maybe there was a special 'hidden' compartment (if in case of illegals. or drugs) that was a 'false bottom' to the bed of the truck. Quite a few people could lie down back there in that sort of situation.

yoda said:
Six people could sit in the cab, all wearing seat belts.

Not exactly. Some trucks don't have a bench seat in the back. There could just be to small flip down like seats from the side in the back. You would sit facing the other person with your knees meeting in the middle. I explained that badly. My dad's truck was like that, and I don't think there were seat belts for those two seats.

I'm probably going straight to hell for this next comment - It looks like they are Illegals, and I feel for the taxpayers of Texas that will have to pick up the tab for the free medical care they will receive as they are treated for their most likely very expensive injuries.

McALLEN, Texas (AP) — A pickup truck's front tire that apparently had come apart was likely the cause of a weekend crash on a rural South Texas highway that claimed its 15th victim Tuesday, authorities said.

The truck packed with 23 suspected illegal immigrants crashed Sunday evening near Goliad, about 90 miles southeast of San Antonio. Eight passengers remain hospitalized. Investigators were working to identify the victims, who they said are from Mexico, Honduras and Guatemala.
---
more at link below:

OFFICIAL: TIRE LIKELY CAUSED DEADLY TEXAS CRASH (AP)

It was also reported that they traced ownership of the vehicle to a residence and the mans daughter answered the door (or phone) and said they had sold the truck at some point in the past. She didn't answer any other questions.

So lemme see how this will play out........

I imagine the survivors (and relatives of the deceased) will ignore the fact that they were in the country illegally, and illegally packed into a vehicle in a vehicle that was not properly register but will get a lawyer.

They will try to sue the former owner of the truck and also the tire company that manufactured the possibly busted tire.

They will probably also try to sue the truck manufacturer for not having warning in spanish that say "Do not put more that 6 people in this truck. All passengers must be properly restrained".

Oh and sue the state because the tree they hit was on state land. Sue law enforcement for not doing their jobs and stopping them from driving that night.

Sue the federal gov't for having faulty borders that don;t keep people from sneaking in the country.

Why am I so cynical? Well because of stuff like this:

An IRS loophole allows illegal immigrants to obtain over 4 billion dollars PER YEAR in tax payer money - an existing problem that the IRS is ignoring.
http://www.mrctv.org/videos/irs-loophole-gives-4-billion-tax-dollars-illegal-immigrants

---
Three others hurt in the wreck, including a child, are in critical condition at University Hospital. One more is in critical condition at SAMMC.

But one of the two children being treated at University Hospital has been upgraded to stable condition, a hospital official said today.
---
Death toll up to 15 in Goliad crash (San Antonio Express-News)

swampmama said:
An IRS loophole allows illegal immigrants to obtain over 4 billion dollars PER YEAR in tax payer money - an existing problem that the IRS is ignoring.

Ugh. I hope that is fairly unknown.
I sat for about 30 minutes trying to formulate a response, but I cannot put my rage into words.

Call me crazy, but it seems mean-spirited - or worse - to tack onto a thread regarding an accident in which 15 human beings lost their lives, and eight more were seriously injured, condemnation of undocumented persons. It would, rather, be more appropriate to remember that we all exist under the same sun; that we all cry the same tears; and, as the poet John Donne wrote, every one of us is a piece of the same life source.

Call me crazy, but it seems mean-spirited - or worse - to tack onto a thread regarding an accident in which 15 human beings lost their lives, and eight more were seriously injured, condemnation of undocumented persons. It would, rather, be more appropriate to remember that we all exist under the same sun; that we all cry the same tears; and, as the poet John Donne wrote, every one of us is a piece of the same life source.

Beautiful, BEAUTIFUL! Thanks soooo much.

OK your're crazy. LOL,
I agree this should not turn into a debate about illegal immigration. I understand that illegal immigration is a major issue that must be adressed, but I have a hard time getting worked up over a guy breaking the law so that he can earn a living. But I recognize that I'm saying that as a NYer, as opposed to someone living in a border state.
Whenever anyone mentions the current illegal immigration crisis, I think of my best friend from HS, Jessica. Her parents are from Ecuador, any came here illegally in the mid 70's. Back then, apparently, if you had a baby in the US, you, the child and the child's father all gained US citizenship, which is what Jessica's mom did w/ her older sister Angie.
Jessie's mom told me about thier crossing. They somehow got seperated, and Jessie's mom had to literally swim across the Rio Grande river at 9 months pregnant, while her dad hitchhiked and got picked up by a trucker, who bought him breakfast, and gave him his boss's business card and told him when he got a TX license he would help him get a job, which he later worked for 20 yrs. She said when he arrived at the hospital for the delivery and they exchanged stories, she slapped him, LOL.
At any rate, what I was getting at was that this illegal immigrant with an "anchor baby" is now a homeowner and has her MSW and is a social worker for Westchester County, NY, and her 2 daughters are marrired and are productive members of society, so I guess I can see both sides of the illegal immigration debate.
Sorry for the lengthy post!

PHB, if your friend intended to be a law abiding citizen, why didn't she just immigrant legally?

Also

phb said:
a guy breaking the law so that he can earn a living.

You do realize that millions of people in the US have been unemployed in the last 4 years right? If we took all the (illegal) immigrants and gave the jobs they are doing over to Americans, the unemployment rate would be much, much lower.

I do agree though, that discussing this in this thread is a little insensitive.

My best friend's dad swam the Rio Grande to get here. He then made his way to Kansas City, worked hard in the rail yards for two or three years, sent money home to his folks; and then got caught. A few years later he secured a green card, and entered legally.

He was the same good man both times.

PHB, if your friend intended to be a law abiding citizen, why didn't she just immigrant legally?

Also

You do realize that millions of people in the US have been unemployed in the last 4 years right? If we took all the (illegal) immigrants and gave the jobs they are doing over to Americans, the unemployment rate would be much, much lower.

I do agree though, that discussing this in this thread is a little insensitive.

I don't know why she didnt emmigrate legally, this was the 1970's and she was like 16. She told me her house did not have plumbing or electricity, and she stopped going to school after age 10, so I don't think applying for a green card or visa or whatever would have even occured to her.
All I meant by my post was that I can see both sides of the immigration debate, and I don't have the first clue on what to do about it.
Also, wfgodot, my top of my last post was in jest, I don't think you're nuts! You always post links to interesting articles.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back