'Seven minutes of terror,' no margin for error: NASA's Curiosity Rover to Mars 08.06

Pics already being fed back to Earth. Woohoo!

Wowzers! This so cool! Pix of the Curiosity rover wheel sitting on planet Mars!

I liked this first image of Mars best:

ae8dd52c-b563-a98d.jpg

What if they do find some guy my bet is he is hitch hiking LoL...

I liked this first image of Mars best:

ae8dd52c-b563-a98d.jpg

:laughcry:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/04/us/mars-rover-scott-maxwell/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

His other car is on Mars
By Elizabeth Landau, CNN
updated 3:13 PM EDT, Mon August 6, 2012

Pasadena, California (CNN) -- On Earth, Scott Maxwell drives his red Prius without paying much attention to the San Gabriel Mountains in the distance. He's lived in the same neighborhood of Pasadena for 18 years, after all.

When he's driving on Mars, though, every rock he encounters is a new discovery, a step toward humanity's knowledge of the planet he hopes to visit some day.

Maxwell has the dream job of driving rovers on Mars, and he's gearing up to take control of the biggest and most sophisticated one yet: Curiosity. He's one of about a dozen people at NASA tasked with steering the $2.6 billion vehicle from more than 100 million miles away....

Very cool article! :rocker:

BTW, if any lurkers here think that NASA is a big waste of money here's some stuff for you;

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4238420...space-inventions-benefit-all-our-lives-earth/

...But the list of NASA inventions that have benefited the public is long and storied. There's " memory foam," for example, which today pads the helmets of football players and is used to manufacture prosthetic limbs. NASA scientists invented the substance in 1966 to make airplane seats safer and more comfortable.

NASA research investigating the nutritional value of algae led to the discovery of a nutrient that had previously been found only in human breast milk. The compound, which is thought to be important to eye and brain development, has since found its way into 95 percent of the infant formula sold in the United States, Lockney said.

There are many more. NASA research led to the development of sunglasses that block damaging blue and ultraviolet light, for example. One-third of all cell phone cameras use technology originally developed for NASA spacecraft.

And in the 1960s, NASA scientists who wanted to enhance pictures of the moon invented digital image processing. The technology later found many other applications — particularly in the medical field, where it helped enable body-imaging techniques such as CAT scans and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_spin-off_technologies

NASA spin-off technologies are spin-offs of technology that have been commercialized through NASA funding, research, licensing, facilities, or assistance. NASA also publishes an annual journal titled Spinoff which features products whose development can be linked to NASA, for example through NASA funding (such as SBIR or STTR awards), licensing (from NASA patents), facilities (such as product testing at NASA facilities), NASA assistance (such as former NASA scientists helping to design a product), or NASA research. A lot of the technology that came from space spin-off is an important part of today's world, for example the ultra sound is a important part of many births. More examples down below...

There's even more than those articles cover too.

BTW, if any lurkers here think that NASA is a big waste of money here's some stuff for you;
There's even more than those articles cover too.

Thank you so much Steely. You can tell by where I live that I'm very involved with our future with space and the discoveries that come with it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back