FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tuesday, October 20, 2009
Somer Thompson - Missing from Florida

Clay County sheriff's deputies are searching for an Orange Park girl who they said has been missing since Monday afternoon.

Deputies said 7-year-old Somer Renee Thompson was last seen in the Grove Park neighborhood. They said the girl's mother called police and said her daughter never returned home from school.The girl is described as 3 feet 5 inches tall and 65 pounds with brown hair in a pony tail. She was last seen wearing a cranberry-colored jumpsuit with pink striped sleeves. She also had a black, pink and white colored backpack with a skull and hearts.

Deputies and detectives from every branch of the Clay County Sheriff's Office, approximately 100 personnel, are looking for Somer. Additional support is also being provided by the agencies surrounding Clay County, such as St. Johns and the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office. The Federal Bureau of Investigation has also assigned a member to assist Clay County, along with staff from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

The Clay County Sheriff's Office has utilized reverse 911 as well as the school system's automated phone message system to get information about Somer to as many households as possible as quickly as possible.Deputies said the girl was last seen at 2:45 p.m. walking home from Grove Park Elementary School near West Gano Avenue and Debarry Avenue with her sister and friends but separated from them after an argument and ran toward her home.

Deputies said the girl's mother was outside in the neighborhood looking for the child when she flagged down a passing deputy and reported the incident.The family lives in the 1700 block of Horton Drive in Orange Park."We would ask that the public assist us in providing any information that anyone may have about this little girl's whereabouts," Beseler said. "Anyone that's in this vicinity, please be vigilant, be looking, search around the area and call us if you saw anything."Beseler said deputies are contacting the 53 sexual offenders who live in the area as part of their investigation. More than 100 deputies, police and SWAT members were searching for the girl overnight and into Tuesday morning.

Anyone with information is asked to call 911.

Originally Posted by GRANNYL
Could you do an update of your map and bump it up for everyone to see. If you will please add a Crossing Guard at (1.)Gano and Miller St/Fromhart (2.) Grove Park and Gano and (3) DeBerry Ave. and Gano. Also a Deputy in marked car with lights flashing at #2. That's three crossing guards and one Deputy in a three block area she walked in and only the first crossing guard is reported to have seen her. It's like she vanished into thin air. Did NOT hear this from LE just people hanging around. You can see from DeBerry all the way to Miller St. no problem.

Updated map
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e....172883,-81.718304&spn=0.009182,0.013068&z=16

I was thinking of the crossing guards but had no clue to were they would be ,Thanks GrannyL

Also does anyone have info that she did take another route home?

ve97kn.jpg

BAD NEWS EVERYONE

We have a missing boy in Colorado...

[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90519"]CO - Ghassane Elmouhaddar (12 yo) - 10/20/09 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

On NG Gma said Somer has never met a stranger. How sad.

RE child trafficking
This is the post I posted last night from the comments section of the following link-
This happened in Jacksonville, Fl

http://www.news4jax.com/news/21342995/detail.html

audreymaryjane
Having had my daughter be attempted to be taken right out of my arms eleven years ago in a Walgreen's parking lot in Atlantic Beach, Jax FL. Luckily I was strong enough to get away with my daughter who at the time was only a few weeks old. After reporting it to the police I was made aware of the under cover investigation going on in Jacksonville for child trafficking through the ports. Anywhere there are ports will always have an increase danger for child trafficking, because Jacksonville does have a large port we are at higher risk.

Nor are native-born Americans immune from slavers; many are stolen or enticed from the streets of their own cities and towns. Some sources, including the federal government, estimate in the hundreds of thousands the number of U.S. citizens – primarily children – at risk of being caught in slavery annually. Although these figures may be inflated, the precise number of slaves in the United States, whether trafficked in from other countries or enslaved from our own population, is simply not known. The simple truth is, we’re looking at a crime that lives in the shadows; it’s hard to count what you can’t find. <snipped>

http://traffickingproject.blogspot.com/2009_04_01_archive.html

Looks like TES is starting today - this is from their main page.

10/20/09 &#8212; Texas EquuSearch will begin a search for Somer Renee Thompson, age 7, on Wednesday, October 21, 2009, at 8:00 a.m. The Command Center will be located at Orange Park Athletic Association, 1086 Fromhart St., Orange Park, FL 32073. The website for the park is www.opaa.us.

Kimster, I just read up on human trafficking too. It's unreal that this is such a huge, but under reported epidemic. She is so young though, I mean, she can't be walking the streets-do they have homes that these kids are warehoused in? This is so sick I don't really want to investigate this more.
Nite nite, kids
Maybe tomorrow we will have good news regarding Haleigh, Somer and Ghassane.

It was over 30 years ago, Hoppy.

One thing he said is that he remembers kids hovering in a corner, wide-eyed and scared. He said he has nightmares because at the time, he didn't do anything. He has since become a Christian, married and raised a family and if you met him, you'd never know he ever lived like that. I told him that God forgives him.

Today, he is very outspoken about what is right and isn't afraid to speak up. When he heard some people were selling drugs in town, he went to their house and told them to cut it out! I wondered why he would step out like that at the time and now I know.

I know that it was 30 years ago. It still needs to be reported to LE.

Hoppy

Looks like TES is starting today - this is from their main page.

10/20/09 &#8212; Texas EquuSearch will begin a search for Somer Renee Thompson, age 7, on Wednesday, October 21, 2009, at 8:00 a.m. The Command Center will be located at Orange Park Athletic Association, 1086 Fromhart St., Orange Park, FL 32073. The website for the park is www.opaa.us.

I'm on my way there now. I'm driving up from Orlando. I had hoped to wake up to good news, though. :(

Safe searching to all my fellow searchers! Let's bring Somer home!!!!

I'm on my way there now. I'm driving up from Orlando. I had hoped to wake up to good news, though. :(

justbeachy - what a wonderful way to use your Wednesday - helping to bring Somer home. Thanks to you, and all the volunteers, who are selflessly going out to search. You are all so brave! Take good care of yourselves, keep hydrated, eat well, stay safe, and we will see you this evening on the Somer thread. :blowkiss:

Graham man awaits return of missing daughter
Somer Thompson

Posted: Oct. 20 11:42 p.m.
Updated: Today at 12:13 a.m.

Graham, N.C. &#8212; A daylong search for a missing 7-year-old Florida girl who vanished on her way home from school Monday has produced more than 150 leads, but the child remained missing Tuesday and officials said they suspect foul play.

More than 100 Clay County, Fla., deputies, law enforcement officers from neighboring counties and the FBI scoured a residential Orange Park neighborhood looking for Somer Thompson.

"I can't describe how that feels. It feels like somebody just took the life out of you," said Sam Thompson, Somer's father.

Sam Thompson, an Iraq War veteran, lives in Graham, North Carolina. He is recuperating from an accident that left him in a wheelchair. [respectfully snipped}

A devastating accident and now Somers is missing..this family deserves a break...let's bring this beautiful child home! justice for Somers!

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/6250585/

I think the mother and father and the boyfriend are all without suspision .The only thing we should be looking at is that someone did try to kidnap a child within a BLOCK of where she dissapearred ...This is the 700 pound elephant in the room ...This is the only thing we should be focusing on at this time ...!!! Can someone link the astrology chart that Tuba did,, that is pretty much the only real lead we have if the LE cant come up with anything

Prayers for Somer's safe return.

Thank you to all of the searchers! I wish I were closer and could join you.

Good morning all ! I finally caught up ... Good luck to all you great folks helping out on the search! Cam, I knew those legs would be tired ;)

Somer, where are you sweetheart????

Safe travel and safe searching... thank you for going and helping to search for Somer. Hoping yall can bring that angel home, today!

Two days of searching in Orange Park and there is still no sign of Somer Renee Thompson.

Somer's mom, Deana Thompson, pleaded for her daughter's safe return at a candelight vigil Tuesday night.

"If anybody has her, please let her go. Pray for her, that she comes home".

Investigators still aren't sure why Somer went missing.

http://wokv.com/localnews/2009/10/search-for-somer-day-three.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members