TX - Hailey Dunn, 13, Colorado City, 27 Dec 2010 - #1

I hate MS for kids :( It just seems to be set up to encourage them to give out all kinds of info about themselves, even more so than FB.

I thought of Kayleigh right away too and hope I am wrong. But I wonder why no one called her house when she did not show up at sleepover or why she was not expected to check in at home? 13 is still pretty young...

There has been little media attention for this precious child. I may have some negative opinions about NG at times, but she sure does help get these kids in the face of the media and public! I hope her show mentions Hailey tomorrow!!!

But did you see her comment on Dec. 11 about another girl and her "not" being scared?

Yes!!! She is talking about 'tamara'.....a girl who she calls her 'enemy' on ms. Hope LE is talking to her.

But, honestly, the timeline is screwy......why didn't she show at the friends....and why didn't the friend call the Dunn house when she didn't show?? I would think her friends would know something about what was going on with her, who she was into, who she may have been meeting up with, etc.

Oh no...not another one!

This is a very, very, very rural community in West Texas-population less than 5000---i'm sure.

I can't imagine they've ever had anyone go "missing". If I recall, (and it's been 10 years since i lived in W. Texas), they're police force is really, really small...

All this to say, we have to work very hard to make sure this little girl gets some coverage...I'm going to start emailing flyers to the national stations. Can't do it til tomorrow though.

I pray she is safe and is found and returned to her family before I awake...

I agree there is a lot of info missing in this case. Most girls 13 years old have to be driven everywhere. So if she was going to a friend's house, who was responsible for taking her there? Did the friend's family pick Hailey up? Do you know anyone who would let their child walk to a friend's house these days?

I wish we had more facts....

I don't see a problem with young teens walking to a friend's house if it is not far, and as a poster said, this is a very small town.

I see trains of kids walking from school, all around my neighborhood by themselves all the time-the thing that drives me crazy is that they all have headphones clamped over their ears and seem oblivious. They would not hear a car pull up behind them.

But I don't see why no one was alarmed before the next morning when she did not show up. Do we know that she walked? Or said she had a ride?

I have been riveted to Jonathan's thread and I can't believe I had no clue this little girl was missing!

Colorado City is a small town about 1 1/2 hours away from me. When I asked my H about the ability of their police dept. to handle this properly, he told me that they actually had disbanded their police department recently and he was surprised to hear from me that there was a spokesperson being identified as the police chief! This leads me to question just how much experience this new chief can have with missing children cases.

My H generally sneers at my online sleuthing efforts, but he surprised me by agreeing to call Chief Bivens to offer any help he might need from Abilene PD. I hope the chief is not too proud to accept it!

Colorado City is a very rural community...people know each other's business I'm sure, and if their teenagers are anything like my kid's friends, nothing ever stays secret for long. They all follow each other's texts and facebook comments etc. If this girl was with any of her friends instead of at the sleepover, kids would be talking about it. It's such a small town, there really wouldn't be any kids who don't know each other...it's not like she could be hanging out with a friend from a school across town that no one else knows...there is only one school to go to!

I'll post whatever I can after H talks to Bivens. He might not tell me much, but I hope he can at least let us know that the cell is being traced for pings and last calls being looked at!

I have been riveted to Jonathan's thread and I can't believe I had no clue this little girl was missing!

Colorado City is a small town about 1 1/2 hours away from me. When I asked my H about the ability of their police dept. to handle this properly, he told me that they actually had disbanded their police department recently and he was surprised to hear from me that there was a spokesperson being identified as the police chief! This leads me to question just how much experience this new chief can have with missing children cases.

My H generally sneers at my online sleuthing efforts, but he surprised me by agreeing to call Chief Bivens to offer any help he might need from Abilene PD. I hope the chief is not too proud to accept it!

Colorado City is a very rural community...people know each other's business I'm sure, and if their teenagers are anything like my kid's friends, nothing ever stays secret for long. They all follow each other's texts and facebook comments etc. If this girl was with any of her friends instead of at the sleepover, kids would be talking about it. It's such a small town, there really wouldn't be any kids who don't know each other...it's not like she could be hanging out with a friend from a school across town that no one else knows...there is only one school to go to!

I'll post whatever I can after H talks to Bivens. He might not tell me much, but I hope he can at least let us know that the cell is being traced for pings and last calls being looked at!

I too have been glued to Jonathan's thread and only saw this tonight. When I saw your 1.5 hours...I figured it was Abilene.

I lived in Big Spring and went to Nursing School in Sweetwater...had study group and a very good friend who lived in Colorado City (no longer lives there) but I do have a friend who still lives in Lorraine...I saw Lorraine mentioned earlier here...anyway...I'm going to call my friend tomorrow to see if we can find out any helpful details. You're so right...everyone in Colorado City knows everyone, their family and their business!

That's why this is so disturbing to me...someone knows something...unless she happened to have been abducted from someone passing through...I20?

A 13-yr olds most essential possession is a cell phone. Hopefully authorities have checked for usage? And wouldn't relatives and friends of the girl be alarmed if she did not touch base before/after the planned sleepover??

There's an extremely laid-back flavor to this one: no parents pleading for info/witnesses, no police updates (aside from one to squelch a rumor). In a small town like Colorado City TX, I'd think the whole town would be buzzing, and the locals would be worried about safety of their children.

FYI, in case you read the FB account and wonder...

Breaking News
Reports of missing girl's death unfounded Posted 14 hours 49 min ago
A Facebook account reporting that Hailey Dunn's body was found in Loraine is unfounded, according to Interim Police Chief John Bivins of the Colorado City Police Department.

http://www.ccitynews.net/news/story/2010/12/colorado-city-girl-still-missing

A 13-yr olds most essential possession is a cell phone. Hopefully authorities have checked for usage? And wouldn't relatives and friends of the girl be alarmed if she did not touch base before/after the planned sleepover??

There's an extremely laid-back flavor to this one: no parents pleading for info/witnesses, no police updates (aside from one to squelch a rumor). In a small town like Colorado City TX, I'd think the whole town would be buzzing, and the locals would be worried about safety of their children.

I agree with all of the above! My H tried to get hold of someone at their PD last night. It was late and all he got was voicemail. He did leave a message. No return call so far. Not a good sign, IMO. I hope Bivens is busy following leads, but the story in their local paper said he's back where he started after questioning everyone he could.

I'm told the reason CCity didn't have a PD for a while was becaause they couldn't afford to pay for it, so I suspect that even now, Bivens probably doesn't have much help; 2 or 3 officers , maybe, and when the pay is bare minimum, how experienced can they be? Kimster is correct; the county sheriff would cover what the city guys can't, but it sounds like Bivens is in charge in this case.

I realize that way too often, missing children aren't taken seriously until it is too late to help them. I am afraid that this poor child is in real danger, if not already dead! CCity is right there on I-20...if she was on foot and someone took her, Kimster is right...she could be anywhere. If I understand correctly, there has not even been a search party!

The parent's names are on the Myspace. I can't really contact them without "interfering", now that my H (APD Chief) has tried to call Chief Bivens...not politically correct you know. Anyone else want to see if they can find an e-mail or Facebook for one of them?

All of the above is MOO. My opinions are not necessarily the same as my H, who would never put his opinions on a discussion board or discuss confidential details of any investigation with me. For some weird reason, he's afraid it would end up on Websleuths, then on Nancy Grace!

Observances ~

* Hailey is 13yo
* She has a 16yo brother
* Her parents are divorced and father is remarried
* Her father and stepmom have a new baby, as of Nov.
* She lives primarily with her mother (made mention of debating who to spend Thanksgiving with and decided to spend it with dad and new baby sister)
* She has an aunt and uncle that they either live with or who live nearby, as they had her watch her twin cousins one night at 10pm while they went shopping
* Her profile pic is that of her baby cousin

Questions ~

* Was Hailey at her mother's or father's when she went missing?
* What of Hailey's is missing?
* What do they think should be missing, but has been found?
* Why did her friend not call to ask where she was, if Hailey did not show up for the sleepover?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back