Volusia County - Daytona Beach (Ridgwood Ave corridor)

the last I heard the police did not think he was connected, but they never really cleared him to my knowledge.

DAYTONA BEACH -- A doctor known for making house calls was charged with driving under the influence after a police officer spotted him driving erratically and then discovered he had 36 pills of prescription pain killers, authorities said.
Ecklind This is not the first time Dr. Jerrold Ecklind, an Ormond Beach osteopathic surgeon who specializes in geriatrics, has been in trouble with the law. In April, he was charged with aggravated assault, impersonating a police officer and false imprisonment after he pretended to be a cop, picked up a known prostitute and handed her a pair of handcuffs. Those charges are still pending.
In his last incident, Ecklind, 37, was driving north on Clyde Morris Boulevard last Wednesday near the intersection of Jimmy Ann Drive when he veered off the roadway, according to the police report. He then steered the car back on the street where he accelerated to 65 mph. The speed limit on Clyde Morris is 45 mph. Ecklind was pulled over and the police officer asked him to perform a field sobriety test. He failed several of the exercises, police said, and his eyes were glassy and his speech slurred.
When police searched him, they said they found 14 pills of Xanax hidden in a small compartment in a flashlight holder attached to Ecklind's waist. He also had 22 pills of morphine sulfate in an eye glass case stuffed into his left pocket, according to the report.
Besides the misdemeanor driving under the influence, police charged him two felony counts of possession of a controlled substance.

I don't see a source. Has he gotten into trouble again? He could sedate women with Xanax in a drink.. and kill people with morphine. Oh my, why is this still happening, if this is new?
They are missing the forest for the trees, IMO.
Maria

this was just breaking news on daytona news journal......the incident happened last Wednesday, but I think the charges were just made today for 2 felony charges.

Sounds like he's getting very sloppy. Maybe he knows he is up Sh!ts creek without a paddle and is giving up. When will we hear back about DNA results?

this was just breaking news on daytona news journal......the incident happened last Wednesday, but I think the charges were just made today for 2 felony charges.
Thanks, Leslie. He's a bad bad person, if you ask me.

Wow stunning info.. You WS's are awesome thank you for all the work you do here. Keep at it everyone. You're the best.

I hope whoever done this is caught soon. My belly has had enough of this for today so I must log off. I love WS's but some of the story;s try to haunt me and so I have to back away..

Thank you to ever WS we have, Bless all of your family's..

Doctor not guilty in kidnapping
Still faces jail time on weapons charge
By JAY STAPLETON
October 09, 2008

DAYTONA BEACH -- An Ormond Beach doctor was found not guilty of all charges Wednesday -- except a misdemeanor -- on accusations that he pointed a gun and pretended to be a police officer while driving off with a woman in his car.

A jury of five women and one man decided the only crime Dr. Jerrold Ecklind should be found guilty of was improper exhibition of a weapon, meaning he'll face up to a year in jail instead of a maximum 15 years.

In addition to choosing the lesser misdemeanor charge over felony aggravated assault while armed with a firearm, jurors found Ecklind, 38, not guilty of false imprisonment and impersonating a police officer.
Full article: click here

The good doctor was found innocent of all crimes, except for the tazer.....gee...

The police chief said familial DNA would only be used in major crimes, like the serial killer case.

He believes that if approved, it could be in use within a year.

Chitwood said the person who came up with the software is making it available to FDLE for free.

But he said the clock is ticking.

"You have a killer on the loose who has killed four women, who is not gonna stop," Chitwood said. "We may be in a cooling off period here. But if we have learned anything in the history of this country with serial killers, they'll continue until they get caught."

http://www.cfnews13.com/article/new...chnology-help-nab-Daytona-Beach-serial-killer

Memorial to serial killer victim disappears

DAYTONA BEACH -- A memorial erected in honor of the first victim of the city's serial killer likely was stripped away by city workers.

The wreath, candles, flowers and colored posters that once flapped in the wind between two small buildings to mark the murder of Laquetta Gunther on North Beach Street have been missing for the last several weeks, said Gunther's best friend Stacey Dittmer.

Gunther's body was found on Dec. 26, 2005, wedged between two buildings -- 705 and 703 N. Beach. She had been shot in the head with a Smith & Wesson .40-caliber Sigma Series VE, police said. The Medical Examiner's Office however said Gunther had been killed on Christmas Eve.

<modsnip -- cont. at the link>

http://www.news-journalonline.com/n...orial-to-serial-killer-victim-disappears.html

Editorial: FBI, police should mine databases to find serial killers

By doggedly combing through state and federal computer files and aggressively filing state Freedom of Information Act requests with local police departments, Scripps Howard News Service (SHNS) reporter Thomas Hargrove created a database of 185,000 unsolved murders committed since 1980. Crime experts say it is the most complete accounting of homicide victims ever assembled in the United States.

A search of that database turned up alarming clusters of unsolved killings of women across the nation that strongly suggest the work of serial killers. The SHNS study focused on communities where police failed to solve at least three-quarters of murders of women of similar age killed by similar methods. The reason for singling out women in the study is that they represent 70 percent of all known serial murder victims.

The search turned up 161 clusters in which 1,247 murdered women met the criteria.

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/dpp/ne...ine-databases-to-find-serial-killers_31624476

Link to national homicide database:

http://www.scrippsnews.com/projects/serial-killers

I'm new to this forum, so if I am not following protocol please forgive me. I've been following this case for some time and didn't see some of these articles included in this thread.

Are 19 slayings along I-4 the work of serial killers?

The first body was found the night after Christmas in 2005.

LaQuetta Mae Gunther lay in a fetal position, partially naked, on the floor of a dark Daytona Beach alley &#8212; a bullet hole in the back of her head.

Since then, three more women with known criminal histories have been found slain execution-style in this Central Florida beachside city best known for its love of motorcycles, auto racing and sunbathing.

When the fourth victim was discovered, Daytona Beach police knew they were looking for a serial killer.

According to the FBI, the four killings are among 28 in Florida that are unsolved and connected to serial killings that the bureau suspects were committed by long-haul truckers.

Those include 19 deaths along the Interstate 4 corridor between Tampa and Daytona Beach, although all but one local law-enforcement agency denies any serial-killer cases on its books.

<modsnip>

Sheriff's offices in Orange, Osceola, Seminole, Volusia and Polk &#8212; ones that service the I-4 area in the region &#8212; said they have no serial-killer cases. Police agencies in Orlando and Kissimmee said they don't either.

Only Daytona Beach police acknowledge they are working a serial-killer case.

The other Daytona Beach victims are:

&#8226;A construction worker in January 2006 discovered the body of Julie Ann Green, 34, on an access road off LPGA Boulevard, a remote area near Interstate 95.

&#8226;The body of Iwana Patton, 35, was found in February 2006 in a wooded area just east of I-95. The body of the fourth victim, Stacey Gage, was found in January 2008 near an abandoned church less than a mile from I-4.

Other recent murders in Central Florida appear to fit a profile laid out by the bureau's probe:

&#8226;The dismembered body of Regan Kendall, 48, was found near Osceola Parkway and Boggy Creek Road in Osceola County in July.

&#8226;And deputies in July found the naked body of Kelly Lanthorne, 37, behind the Courtyard Villas apartments, near South Orange Blossom Trail in Orange County.

<modsnip>

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-01-11/news/os-serial-killer-20100111_1_serial-killers-serial-killer-case-iwana-patton

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...on+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

**Note**

If anyone is interested, I have been tracking female victims of unsolved homicides from Tampa to Daytona and there are many. I'll post links if anyone would like to look into this further.

Chasity is included on my list of unsolved homicides in Florida - I checked and can't find any new info on the case - though it does appear a candlelight vigil was held in her honor earlier this month. My thoughts and prayers are with her and her family and friends as they continue to search for her.

I'm from Daytona Beach and I know the area that she was last seen... not a good place at all. This is considered one of the "bad" parts of town so the outcome of Chasity's case probably isn't good.

More information on Chastity Danette Starr, 27
Missing since 01/15/2011

Last seen in the early morning hours of January 15, 2011
at the Ridgewood Inn, 128 Ridgewood Ave in Holly Hill near Daytona Beach and Ormond Beach.

5'4"tall, 110 lbs, straight brown hair often worn in a ponytail.

Anyone having information regarding Chasity Starr&#8217;s whereabouts is asked to contact Sergeant Gina Baker of the Holly Hill Police Department&#8217;s Criminal Investigation Division at 386-248-9488.

If you wish to remain anonymous call Crime Stoppers at 1-888-277-TIPS (8477) or you can text your tip by Texting "TIP231 plus your message" to CRIMES (274637)

http://www.westopcrime.com/index.php?loc=details&story=1120
April 8, 2011
Starr, listed at 5-feet-10 and 110 pounds with brown hair typically pulled back in a ponytail, was last seen Jan. 15 at the Ridgewood Inn. Her mother, Candy Starr, brought food to her room that night, Barker said.

Candy Starr left about midnight. Barker said a friend also staying in the motel room told police Chastity Starr left sometime after that "and has not been seen or heard from again."
http://www.news-journalonline.com/n...r-for-safety-of-missing-holly-hill-woman.html

According to the article above, she was ruled out as the body found in Ormond on January 16, 2011.

Starr is a known prostitute and drug abuser. She has at least three tattoos, a large star inside her left wrist, a butterfly on the back of her neck, and Winnie-the-Pooh on her right ankle.
missing2408-thumb-180xauto-16204.jpg
Chasity-Starr-Butterfly-Neck-Tattoo-300x225.jpg
starr_chasity_tattoo2.jpg

http://www.news-journalonline.com/n...r-for-safety-of-missing-holly-hill-woman.html

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/starr_chasity.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back