CT - Five die in Stamford Christmas Day fire 2011.12.25

IMHO the whole thing is hinky.

First, I used to live in a farm house which had an electric furnace and a wood stove in the basement. There is NO WAY that I would ever take coals or embers from the wood stove, put them into a PAPER bag and then store the bag IN THE HOUSE. Even I know that to do that is a fire risk. Why would Borcina do such a thing? He's got to be smarter than that. Was Mrs. Badger aware of what he did? Those poor children and their grandparents. Yes, there is something not right here, and I am sure the police are digging deeper.

Also, whoever allowed the house to be torn down so quickly is an idiot. Don't government departments communicate with one another? Makes you wonder... (Sorry about the snarkiness-- I am outraged by this terrible, preventable tragedy.)

First, I used to live in a farm house which had an electric furnace and a wood stove in the basement. There is NO WAY that I would ever take coals or embers from the wood stove, put them into a PAPER bag and then store the bag IN THE HOUSE. Even I know that to do that is a fire risk. Why would Borcina do such a thing? He's got to be smarter than that. Was Mrs. Badger aware of what he did? Those poor children and their grandparents. Yes, there is something not right here, and I am sure the police are digging deeper.

Also, whoever allowed the house to be torn down so quickly is an idiot. Don't government departments communicate with one another? Makes you wonder... (Sorry about the snarkiness-- I am outraged by this terrible, preventable tragedy.)

ITA Penelops. I'm wondering what connection/relationship Borcina & the Stamford Building Dept Chief had? I have a feeling there's more to come of this awful story....

ITA Penelops. I'm wondering what connection/relationship Borcina & the Stamford Building Dept Chief had? I have a feeling there's more to come of this awful story....

I agree with you, Blondie. As Shakespeare wrote in Hamlet, "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark."

Also from Hamlet, and quite applicable if the investigation gains momentum and leads to where some of us think it will: "O my prophetic soul!"

Also from Hamlet, and quite applicable if the investigation gains momentum and leads to where some of us think it will: "O my prophetic soul!"

I don't think they are trying to prove it was intentional. I believe they want to go for negligent or reckless. But I don't know how they are going to get anywhere since the house was torn down so quickly. This was a potential crime scene (even if it wasn't intentional, that could still be criminally prosecutable for negligence or recklessness). I mean, we all know that was going to be a problem for the investigation, so what exactly was the building department chief thinking when he ordered it to be torn down? And no paperwork? What is the deal with that?

That never made much sense, did it? We were all questioning how it could possibly be investigated with the house torn down. It's only common sense that they would need the house for a criminal investigation.

ITA. I've never seen a teardown happen that fast. If anything an insurance company would want access to the fire scene. With deaths involved, I'm sure an insurance company would want to complete their own investigation.

That never made much sense, did it? We were all questioning how it could possibly be investigated with the house torn down. It's only common sense that they would need the house for a criminal investigation.

I never understood the need for an immediate demolition either. When it occurred, some reasoning was the structure would be unsafe for anyone to just wander into. Why not then put some type of fence around the property to secure it? With five deaths, it was certain a criminal investigation might ensue, as well as the insurance company and fire marshals.

And again, why no operable smoke/fire alarm system in the house?

:(

MOO

An elderly man took the ashes from his fireplace & put them outside last Thursday noon. He caused a fire that burned down 29 houses & 10,000 people had to be evacuated. One person died.

It was an accident. I can't believe the Badger fire was anything but an accident. Some people have no experience with ashes coming to life.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57363292/remorseful-man-admits-causing-reno-fire/

An elderly man took the ashes from his fireplace & put them outside last Thursday noon. He caused a fire that burned down 29 houses & 10,000 people had to be evacuated. One person died.

It was an accident. I can't believe the Badger fire was anything but an accident. Some people have no experience with ashes coming to life.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57363292/remorseful-man-admits-causing-reno-fire/

Just because it's unintentional doesn't mean it's not criminally punishable. Especially since people died.

From lucky's link....

"The station also reported that police are investigating whether smoke detectors and fire extinguishers were removed from the home prior to the fire."

"Police refused to comment, but construction workers allegedly told investigators that the alarms and extinguishers were removed and stored in the garage when painters began working on the house."

"As the Post previously reported, employees of a contractor are being grilled over the renovation work done at the house as part of an ongoing criminal probe."

"Stamford Police Capt. Richard Conklin said his investigators have talked to several people involved in the work being done on the $1.7 million Stamford home."

"Badger’s beau, Michael Borcina, was overseeing the project."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/...ed_tried_FIBHgckDXQ4jemqpPr1a9L#ixzz1kYuId7nI

Questions hang over presence of smoke alarms in deadly Christmas blaze that killed three girls and their grandparents in renovated $1.7million home

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ndparents-Connecticut-home.html#ixzz1kZA84NCH

"Police say smoke detectors and fire extinguishers may have been removed from the Connecticut home where a deadly fire erupted on Christmas Day, killing three young girls and their grandparents."

"Seven-year-old twins Grace and Sarah Badger, nine-year-old Lily Badger and their mother's parents Lomer and Pauline Johnson died in the Stamford home destroyed by blistering fire."

"New reports suggest smoke alarms were in place before the fire, but were removed as part of a renovation process on the $1.7 million Victorian."

"Construction workers, overseen by their mother's boyfriend, contractor contractor Michael Borcina, are being investigated for possible criminal charges."

From my link above:

"The network also reports that Matthew Badger, the girls father and Mrs Badger's estranged husband, has hired a private investigation firm to look into the fire."

"Police have officially ruled out any foul play in the investigation into the Badger home fire, but are now looking to see if there are any accidental criminal charges that will be filed. Specifically, charges of criminally negligent homicide or reckless manslaughter are both possible charges in a case like this."

"Stamford police say they hope to wrap up their investigation in the next two weeks."

"At the time of the fire, the mansion was still under construction, and though it did have a fire alarm system in place, it is reported it was not installed and working at the time."

"Mr Borcina’s company, Tiberias Construction, has been heavily scrutinized during the investigation as well, and it was discovered that several required forms were missing."

The house did not have a new certificate of occupancy since the Badgers moved in, and MrBorcina’s contracting licenses had expired at the time of the fire. His contractor registration for work in the state of Connecticut expired in 2000, and his home improvement license for the state of New York expired in June 2010."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ndparents-Connecticut-home.html#ixzz1kZBhXX4T

From my link above:

"The network also reports that Matthew Badger, the girls father and Mrs Badger's estranged husband, has hired a private investigation firm to look into the fire."

"Police have officially ruled out any foul play in the investigation into the Badger home fire, but are now looking to see if there are any accidental criminal charges that will be filed. Specifically, charges of criminally negligent homicide or reckless manslaughter are both possible charges in a case like this."

"Stamford police say they hope to wrap up their investigation in the next two weeks."

"At the time of the fire, the mansion was still under construction, and though it did have a fire alarm system in place, it is reported it was not installed and working at the time."

"Mr Borcina’s company, Tiberias Construction, has been heavily scrutinized during the investigation as well, and it was discovered that several required forms were missing."

The house did not have a new certificate of occupancy since the Badgers moved in, and MrBorcina’s contracting licenses had expired at the time of the fire. His contractor registration for work in the state of Connecticut expired in 2000, and his home improvement license for the state of New York expired in June 2010."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ndparents-Connecticut-home.html#ixzz1kZBhXX4T

Good! now we're getting somewhere...

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...who-lost-3-daughters-in-fire-attempts-suicide

"Report: Mom who lost 3 daughters in fire attempts suicide"

It will be a rare occasion in my life when I say this, but it would seem to be more merciful to let her end her suffering. I know that in her circumstances I would not want to live either.

I couldn't disagree more. One can only look at Dr. Petit as an example how somebody can overcome extremely tragic circumstances.

I couldn't disagree more. One can only look at Dr. Petit as an example how somebody can overcome extremely tragic circumstances.

Dr Petit considered suicide in the beginning. He was fortunate to have strong family support.

I imagine part of Dr. Petit's will came from the desire to see the perpetrators punished. In this case the "perpetrator" was a loved one. This lady lost her parents, her children, and in essence her lover in one fell swoop. And I imagine there is a great deal of self-blame going on as well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back