CA CA - Jean Spangler, 27, Los Angeles, Oct 1949

The mob angle makes for a good read but the most likely explaination is an illegal abortion gone bad (the pregnancy and reference to Dr. Scott). This was not an all together unusual event in the days before Roe Vs. Wade.
I agree. I wonder if this was an abortion gone bad-that might have hurt some famous person's career. I think she was disposed of to keep everything quite.

Alleged, but unconfirmed. He claimed not to know her, and she never mentioned a last name. Also, he was out of town when she disappeared. Supposedly police were suspicious anyway because he contacted the police before they tried to contact him. I suspect that someone from the studio knew that his name had come up in the investigation and contacted him to try to nip any possible scandal in the bud. He denied knowing Jean except through her being an extra on one of his movies - but supposedly her mother saw him pick Jean up at her house at least twice, so who knows.

Interesting that her purse was found near or at the gate to Griffith Park...apparently over 200 people made a search there for her. Of course, there are definitely areas of the park that are quite rugged, and it's possible that her remains are still in the park somewhere, possibly having been attacked there while walking home? She had no money, so she would not have been able to take a streetcar or a cab.

I always thought there might be a possibility there might be a connection between Spangler's disappearence and the murders of Elizabeth Short and Georgette Bauerdorf.

Georgette looks similar to the other two women. She was murdered in 1944 in her home. There are some loose connections between she and Short. They both frequented the same hollywood canteen and allegedly Georgette even mentions Short in her diary.
http://georgettebauerdorf.com/

Ice Cold Case: Georgette Bauerdorf(20); Oil Heiress Murdered in Her Home in 1944 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgette_Bauerdorf

I don't believe the Hodel angle. I don't think he is the Black Dahlia
killer, nor do I think he had anything to do with Jean’s appearance. Both Elizabeth and Jean seemed to have associated with some rather seedy characters..

I get the vibe that Kirk Douglas knows more than he claims. It is widely believed that he raped Natalie Wood when she was a teen and I have heard from industry friends that there are some rather unsavory facts that will come out when Douglas dies.

LA from the time period of Georgette Bauerdorf’s death at least till the early 50s was a very dangerous place for young brunettes. An alarming number of young women went missing, were murdered or raped during that time.

I don't believe the Hodel angle...
I get the vibe that Kirk Douglas knows more than he claims. It is widely believed that he raped Natalie Wood when she was a teen and I have heard from industry friends that there are some rather unsavory facts that will come out when Douglas dies....

Kirk Douglas will be 93 years old on December 9th. He published an autobiography recently.

I know Kirk still alive. He actually has published 2 autobios

I can't help but agree with you, scriptgirl, that Kirk Douglas knows more about this than what he is telling. A lot of those stars from the Golden Age were involved in some shady stuff and the studios fiercely protected them and kept things quiet. I have long felt that Kirk Douglas was somehow more involved in the disappearance of Jean Spangler than what is generally known.

Thanks for bumping. I had forgotten about this case. I wish this case would get re-opened with a new set of eyes. I bet a lot of info could be uncovered, especially now that there are no longer big studio's protecting people and keeping witnesses quiet. The Kirk Douglas angle is interesting. Kirk is not that common of a name (especially in one town) and they did work together in a movie. Makes me wonder if he did know more about her then he led on.

Thanks for bumping. I had forgotten about this case. I wish this case would get re-opened with a new set of eyes. I bet a lot of info could be uncovered, especially now that there are no longer big studio's protecting people and keeping witnesses quiet. The Kirk Douglas angle is interesting. Kirk is not that common of a name (especially in one town) and they did work together in a movie. Makes me wonder if he did know more about her then he led on.

Thanks from me for bumping this too, Kat. I keep forgetting about this case as well. I have long thought Kirk Douglas WAS the Kirk mentioned in the note. I've read lots of bios of stars from the 30s and 40s and it's just unbelievable how studio heads rushed to the scene of a crime and did damage control in those days. I also believe that the major studios had the Los Angeles DA on their payroll...there were just too many things that were covered up back then. That's why I've always thought Kirk Douglas knew more about Jean's disappearance than what he said.

I started reading a little more on this case and found that short blurb about a couple Jean's Hollywood friends and fellow "Earl Carroll Girls" had to say about her disappearance. Probably gossip, but interesting none the less....

Tom Willett
Hollywoodscreams.com

I first heard of "Jeanie" Spangler while I was at a Hollywood party. I was with some old friends who were show business old timers in Hollywood. Two of the ladies at the party had been Earl Carroll girls. Earl Carroll had a theater in Hollywood which boasted "Through these portals walk the most beautiful girls in the world." To have been an Earl Carroll girl was as much a trophy of beauty as being Miss America.

http://www.hollywoodscreams.com/true.html

Scott is a first name too....sounds like they only checked last names though.

I can't help but agree with you, scriptgirl, that Kirk Douglas knows more about this than what he is telling. A lot of those stars from the Golden Age were involved in some shady stuff and the studios fiercely protected them and kept things quiet. I have long felt that Kirk Douglas was somehow more involved in the disappearance of Jean Spangler than what is generally known.

Indeed. If the allegations in the link below are true then that can also be added to the list of shady Hollywood dealings that should have been investigated. I'm not relating this to Doulglas and Spangler, btw, as I think the link refers to a later date than the 40s.

http://www.crazydaysandnights.net/2009/10/four-for-friday-halloween-version.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back