Found Deceased MI - Venus Stewart, 32, Colon, 28 April 2010 - # 6 *D. Stewart guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that most people likely check their mail the day of delivery. It was a reporter who used the word 'retrieving' the mail in that one article. I haven't seen that anywhere else, have you?

ETA: Well how odd. Here's an article from way back on May 6 with another reporter saying she was 'getting' the mail at 7:30am.:
http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/sw_mich/suspicious-person-in-Venus-Stewart-case

This is the article I was referring to above where the reporter says 'went to retrieve'. Article is May 20:
http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2010/05/progress_made_in_venus_stewart.html

Because these reporters aren't paying as close attention as we are due to having so many articles to write, apparently they didn't pay close enough attention when Venus's father stated he believed Venus went to mail a letter.

I frequently retrieve my mail the next day on the way back from the bus stop. Just sayin.

i am holding onto her texting or speaking to someone on her cell phone hence the LE description of 7:10AM etc....

Is the 5 year old in kindergarten? I wonder if, since DS didn't speak with her on April 24 or 25, if he indeed is the abductor, if he was waiting for her to come out, or her and Venus to come out, to go to school.

Is the 5 year old in kindergarten? I wonder if, since DS didn't speak with her on April 24 or 25, if he indeed is the abductor, if he was waiting for her to come out, or her and Venus to come out, to go to school.

Someone should be able to verify whether or not she is in school. I am leaning to not...only because we are not seeing the expected anecdotal interviews from other mothers she would have come in contact with yada yada...

Maybe a local can quickly call the school district transportation department to learn what time a kindergartner would be picked up on that street.

In California, an adult has to wait at the bus stop with the child and has to be present when the child is dropped off or the bus driver is not allowed to drop off the child.

If the school bus does have a route near Venus's house, where would the bus stop be and is a parent required to be present when the child is waiting for the bus?

Maybe a local can quickly call the school district transportation department to learn what time a kindergartner would be picked up on that street.

I hope the school district doesn't share that info over the phone with just anyone.

did doug have supervised visits ?

I know with my years of foster parenting, phone calls had to be supervised and visits
My friend that has custody of her great grandkids, the papers state supervised phone calls supervised visits,

I either had to put it on speaker phone or listen on the extension. and end the call if it got inappropriate

30936_119248851448801_117627371610949_102165_3183420_n.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?p...02165&id=117627371610949&fbid=119248851448801

Missing woman Venus Stewart's estranged husband seeks custody of daughters
By Kathy Jessup | Kalamazoo Gazette
May 24, 2010, 10:32PM
CENTREVILLE — The St. Joseph County Department of Human Services has initiated action to take control of custody of the two young daughters of Venus Stewart, the Colon woman who has been missing since April 26.
venus stewart and husband Douglas stewart comboCourtesy photosVenus Stewart and estranged husband Douglas Stewart

Larry McComb, Stewart’s father, said Monday that he expects the court will appoint he and his wife, Therese, to continue caring for the girls, ages 5 and 3.

But McComb said they won’t return to the couple’s rural Colon Township home until after high fencing, security cameras and guard dogs are in place.

In addition, McComb said the couple also plans to secure permits to carry concealed weapons, all in response to what McComb said are their fears that Stewart’s estranged husband, Douglas Stewart, could attempt to take the girls.

Douglas Stewart has been named by law enforcement authorities as the “only person of interest” in the disappearance of Venus Stewart.

He has not been arrested or charged or charged with a crime. Douglas Stewart declined to comment when contacted Monday.

Terry Evans, St. Joseph County Juvenile Court director, said a hearing has been scheduled for Friday on a child neglect petition filed by St. Joseph County Child Protective Services.
SBM
http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2010/05/missing_woman_venus_stewarts_e.html

April 19 - Venus is granted full legal and physical custody. Doug is granted only phone calls.

April 19 - 23 - Doug talks to both children.

April 24 - Doug talks only to 3yo daughter. Why didn't he speak w/5yo?

April 25 - Doug talks only to 3yo daughter. Why didn't he speak w/5yo?
Gloves, tarp, hat, shovel purchased.

April 26 - Venus abducted & disappears. Doug doesn't call to speak to either child - why not? Doug subsequently refuses to tell grandparents if he worked this day.

April 27 - Doug calls to speak to children (Grandparents refuse because Venus has been abducted & they think Doug did it.).

Date? - Doug files for phone calls, joint legal custody & physical custody.

I don't think that we know that he spoke with R on those dates bolded above. That isn't stated in the papers.

There's just no way to know when he last spoke to R. We do know, though, that the last date he spoke to B was on the 23.

It's possible that he didn't speak to the three-year-old on every call. Just no way to know. We haven't seen, in total, the papers filed by him.

The April 24 & 25 dates. Doug does talk to the 3 year old.

I've seen nothing stating such. Just that the last time that he talked to the five-year-old was the 23rd.

I've seen nothing stating such. Just that the last time that he talked to the five-year-old was the 23rd.

April 19 - Venus is granted full legal and physical custody. Doug is granted only phone calls.

April 19 - 23 - Doug talks to both children.

April 24 - Doug talks only to 3yo daughter. Why didn't he speak w/5yo?

April 25 - Doug talks only to 3yo daughter. Why didn't he speak w/5yo? Gloves, tarp, hat, shovel purchased.

April 26 - Venus abducted & disappears. Doug doesn't call to speak to either child - why not? Doug subsequently refuses to tell grandparents if he worked this day.

April 27 - Doug calls to speak to children (Grandparents refuse because Venus has been abducted & they think Doug did it.).

Date? - Doug files for phone calls, joint legal custody & physical custody.

This will have to do for now.

In California, an adult has to wait at the bus stop with the child and has to be present when the child is dropped off or the bus driver is not allowed to drop off the child.

If the school bus does have a route near Venus's house, where would the bus stop be and is a parent required to be present when the child is waiting for the bus?

I don't think that B was enrolled in kindergarten in Michigan. She was in preschool in Virginia, so maybe she didn't meet the cut-off age in Michigan--must be five by December 1, I think.

Plus, considering all that was going on, even if B was old enough to attend kindergarten, Venus may have kept her home (out of kindergarten altogether) for safety purposes, afraid that Doug would attempt to take the child from school. I know I would have, in similar circumstances.

But McComb said they won’t return to the couple’s rural Colon Township home until after high fencing, security cameras and guard dogs are in place.

In addition, McComb said the couple also plans to secure permits to carry concealed weapons, all in response to what McComb said are their fears that Stewart’s estranged husband, Douglas Stewart, could attempt to take the girls.

Sounds like a wonderful environment for child-rearing.
But I'm a bit concerned: no perimeter lined with tripwire-activated claymores or sniper's nest on the roof? Larry must've skipped the chapter in "It Takes A Village (and Lotsa Ammo)" on properly setting-up an armed compound.

Larry McComb, Stewart’s father, said Monday that he expects the court will appoint he and his wife, Therese, to continue caring for the girls, ages 5 and 3.

But McComb said they won’t return to the couple’s rural Colon Township home until after high fencing, security cameras and guard dogs are in place.​

I don't blame him! And I was glad to read that he's going to conceal/carry.

The guy threatened Venus with a gun. I'm not a religious person at all, but I do pray for their safety. I hope the Doug is under 24 hour surveillance.

He didn't speak to the 5 yr old after April 23. It didn't specify the 3 yr old, so it looks like he did speak with her. And you're right - it doesn't say anyone denied him speaking with the 5yo after April 23. Just says that was his last date of contact with her.

In court records, Doug alleges that Venus' family has denied him a judge ordered daily phone call with their children since April 27, the day after Venus disappeared.

Doug says his last contact with his five-year-old daughter was even earlier on April 23rd.

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/margin-1376791-bottom-estranged.html

In general, I don't see a problem with the kids talking on the phone with him, provided there's coordination - perhaps through a children's counselor - on what they've been told about Venus and what should and shouldn't be said to them, and how to respond to any questions they may ask him about where Venus is.

The NG transcripts have either L or T saying the 5yo accidentally saw a news piece about Venus showing or saying Venus was with Doug and that she got scared about it.

Actually, writing this, I'm thinking supervised visits at CPS as he requests may even be better than the phone. There's no control over what's said on the phone, but I think a parent would be more careful over what they say in front of a CPS worker.

On the other hand, there are so many children of parents with conflicts of all kinds who don't watch what they say in earshot of the kids, so many parents who deliberately say negatively or potentially emotionally harmful things in earshot of their kids. I'd like all of them to exercise more control over their tongues lol.

My biggest concern about the children is Doug harming the children. I've read too many stories in recent months about a parent killing a child specifically to 'get back at' the other parent. This is a case where we can see signs of this risk, and I hope that the court will take measure to protect these little girls from harm.

ETA: I should have read ahead :) Someone else already pointed out the 5yo/April 23 thing. Sorry.

BBM. As much as it pains me to say this, I don't see that in this case. I believe he harmed their mother already ( even though he has yet to be arrested for doing so), so there would be no need to get back at the other parent in this case. In the cases I recall where one parent gets back at the other in custody disputes it is more often a murder/suicide when one parent doesn't 'get rid' of the other first.

I'm mostly worried unless an arrest is made the time is going to come DS will regain custody of his kids. :(

JMO

Sounds like a wonderful environment for child-rearing.
But I'm a bit concerned: no perimeter lined with tripwire-activated claymores or sniper's nest on the roof? Larry must've skipped the chapter in "It Takes A Village (and Lotsa Ammo)" on properly setting-up an armed compound.

It is awful, BUT the McCombs didn't choose to be in this situation. They have been forced into this situation. The children's mother is missing, abducted from their driveway. I don't know what else Mr. McComb could do, short of put the whole family into hiding.

I wish they had a deputy to provide them security 24/7 until an arrest is made, but I'm sure that's too huge of an expense for the county.

Awful awful awful all the way around. :(

BBM. As much as it pains me to say this, I don't see that in this case. I believe he harmed their mother already ( even though he has yet to be arrested for doing so), so there would be no need to get back at the other parent in this case. In the cases I recall where one parent gets back at the other in custody disputes it is more often a murder/suicide when on parent doesn't 'get rid' of the other first.

I'm mostly worried unless an arrest is made the time is going to come DS will regain custody of his kids. :(

JMO

BBM...

Cubby, that worries me too! I am hoping that the judge knows what's what and leaves the children in the custody of their grandparents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23