LA - Marie Smothers, 87, shot to death by 8yo boy, Slaughter, 22 Aug 2013

I really don't think he thought it was a toy, 8 is not too young to understand reality. They police said it was 'intentional' which says a lot.

BBM.

Not really. All it says is that the ballistic evidence was consistent with the gun having been aimed at her and fired, as opposed to a scenario where the gun went off while being cleaned/fiddled with in some way, and a stray bullet hit her that wasn't aimed at her.

However the same ballistics evidence which is consistent with the gun having been aimed and fired is also consistent with the child's version of events.

I'm not so sure that is true. A 90 year old woman is frail to begin with and very fragile.

A 89 year old man was beaten to death this week. The elderly cant protect themselves from those who are younger.

8 year olds can be quite deadly. A few years back we had a case here where an 8 year old premeditated and carried out two murders when he lay in wait.

imo

Could we get more info on this?
Thanks.

Well the police also said that they have concluded he thought it was a toy.

Investigations evolve as information is gathered.

I think it depends on the 8 yr old. There are many 8 yr olds, The majority of them that would not ever think of shooting someone. That is why we are so shocked when we see it, Then there are a few that have issues.

As a rule an 8 yr old, Is not mature enough to consider all the consequences.

We were broken into about six weeks ago. If not for my dogs waking us and a 38 under our mattress, I might not be typing this! Our area is very remote and targeted a lot. We have to have guns. This story is more about a child and I agree, it shouldn't be turned into a gun thread. But guns for us are a necessity!

So did you shoot the intruder(s)? Dead?

I'm not so sure that is true. A 90 year old woman is frail to begin with and very fragile.

A 89 year old man was beaten to death this week. The elderly cant protect themselves from those who are younger.

8 year olds can be quite deadly. A few years back we had a case here where an 8 year old premeditated and carried out two murders when he lay in wait.

imo

Could we get more info on this?
Thanks.

I found it. And I am appalled beyond really anything. No words.
[video=youtube;9trEVK5wAqY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9trEVK5wAqY[/video]

Don't be.

I follows that one closely. IMO he's a psychopath. Calm and cool as a cucumber that one was. I'm thankful he's under court supervision!

I can seem to be able to find the raw, uncut & unblurred video in its entirety

Dude, that's what I'm appalled about! That kid is scary as hελλ.

Yes. Poetic justice. She had a gun. She had a child in her home. The child obviously had access to the gun. Never mind that there is no reason to have guns in homes where/when there are children present. A gun's sole purpose is to kill. Why expose children to that??? Mind boggling. I can't view her as much of a victim. When one has a gun in their home, and someone, be it a child, grandmother, postal carrier, friend etc. is shot and killed, whoever was responsible for bringing that gun into the home is as equally at fault as the one who pulled the trigger. I don't want my child killed by a poisonous snake. Ergo, I do not knowingly, willfully bring poisonous snakes into my home etc, etc....

I haven't read completely through this whole thread - I'm just starting. I can, however, say that I'm appalled at some responses, such as this one that ignores this elderly woman as the victim. She IS/WAS the victim. And, from all of the cases I've followed here on Websleuths, I tend to think we are a victim friendly forum and think that blaming the victim is pretty uncalled for, especially considering that we do not know all of the facts. I think it is a bit insensitive and down right rude to, in so many words, say that it was the victims fault. JMO!

I haven't read completely through this whole thread - I'm just starting. I can, however, say that I'm appalled at some responses, such as this one that ignores this elderly woman as the victim. She IS/WAS the victim. And, from all of the cases I've followed here on Websleuths, I tend to think we are a victim friendly forum and think that blaming the victim is pretty uncalled for, especially considering that we do not know all of the facts. I think it is a bit insensitive and down right rude to, in so many words, say that it was the victims fault. JMO!

An accessory to her own killing perhaps, but not a victim. She chose to have a gun in the same house as a child. She was negligent. Careless actions sometimes have deadly consequences.

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=23387298

8-year-old accused of killing 90-year-old appears for hearing

The child will go before Judge William Carmichael in East Feliciana Parish for a special hearing to determine if he will remain in his home or have to be moved to a group home.

He stayed home and attended school in the time since the shooting, all while undergoing a thorough psychological evaluation.

The judge will review the evaluation and determine whether the child will continue to live with his parents or if there are mental issue that need continued treatment in a group home. Law experts said taking a child that young out of his parent's home is a last resort.

Older people. JMO, are prayed upon by people who see them as defenseless. I've had a gun for years and I let people know it. People leave me alone.

8-year-old accused of killing 90-year-old will return home

He stayed home and attended school in the time since the shooting, all while undergoing a thorough psychological evaluation.

The judge reviewed the evaluation to determine whether the child would continue to live with his parents or if there are mental issue that need continued treatment in a group home. Law experts said taking a child that young out of his parent's home is a last resort.

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=23387298

What would releasing this child's name accomplish?

I don't get it.

What is with people thinking that 7 and 8 year olds are the same as 3 and 4 year olds? Seriously? Are people really that naïve? Awww..it's just a little kid, he must be innocent. Rubbish.

I do not believe he thought it was a toy gun, not for even a second.

Bolded and snipped by me

I have to admit, I agree with you.

My grandmother died when I was seven (Of old age, I didn't kill her!) But I knew she was gone forever. I understood what death meant, I understood that you didn't even joke about hurting or killing someone.

We didn't even point finger guns unless we were REALLY angry (Then again, Kipp Kinkel had just shot up a school less than one hundred miles from where I was living, so people were on code red for super little things).

I was not stupid, and I don't think he was either. Do they even MAKE realistic looking toy guns any more? Was her gun like an ancient little thing that looked like a toy?

That little kid had good aim to get his grandmother in the head. I wonder how many Rated-M-For-Mature war simulation games he's played on top of Grand Theft Auto.

This whole thing just makes me so sad and anxious for the future generations, I mean I understand things like this have been happening since guns have been made, but now with this 24/7 news cycle it seems like it happens a lot more often.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back