State v. Bradley Cooper 4-29-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would imagine BC is pretty upset that one of his own fellow Cisco employees is going to show how he had a router that he used the night of 7/11 and now it can't be found.

I mean, seriously,..... IF there is NOTHING to this missing router, why is the def team so bent on not allowing the testimony? Everyone already thinks the pros hasn't proven their case. What's one more piece of useless info, except to make the jury angrier at the pros for wasting their time? Right?

Seems someone is protesting too much.

This is an interesting development. Should make for a week of fireworks between this pros/def. Heck, we might even get a verdict within this next week as well.

JMHO
fran

I think the defense was asking more for fairness. They were saying yesterday that they object for the same reason that M isn't allowed to testify. It really is a fairness issue.

Not being snarky in the least, I'm simply curious as to how many trials you have watched or listened to from opening statements to closing arguments? I can't recall when Court TV first came on the air, IIRC it was late '80's/early '90s?? Someone help me? One of the earliest cases I recall is the Michigan anchorwoman, I think her name was Diane something? Shot to death by her husband, in the driveway of their rural home, while her two children were in their carseats in the backseat of her car. And I recall the Native American guy who was drunk, Christmas Eve, driving the wrong way in the interstate, smashed into a car going in the right direction, killing a mother and her three young daughters, critically injuring the husband. That one was either in Arizona or N.M. I've been doing this for over 20 years, and I truly didn't see anything different going on in this trial than others I've watched. The Michael Peterson trial was kind of a wacky one, the Rae Carruth one was very defense biased IMO. Rae got off easy, he so hired those guys to kill Shrarika Adams was it, and his unborn child. MOO MOO MOO

The only one I've come close to watching from start to finish was the circus masquerading as the OJ Simpson trial. I admittedly don't know much about our legal system. However, I do recognize fairness...and what I've seen here isn't fairness.

I have been reading, yet have begged off from posting..awaiting if this new revelations are allowed or not...I say in the interest of justice//Let this newbie Forensic Expert testify for defense..and allow this new stuff in too.. IF all else fails..declare a mistrial and start over and forget about missing duckies, forget about suspicions by friends, forget about whether Nancy wore her necklace ALL the time..Just bring in this computer forensics/router logs/phone logs, and point to Bradley basically stalking his wife etc....

KISS would be much more efficient..and in the interest of expedience..leave all the gossip, and cr@pp0ll@ out of it..and not embarrass people.... YES keep in AS and parents and Krista..to give background but forget about all the garbage of who's turned lesbian or who's smitten with whom...Couch trists, closet encouters..There is plenty of other indications to show the directions of their relationship....(I pray those kids are Happy!!)

I have to believe all posters here want justice...so why not get to the bottom on what Brad DID or DIDNT DO, given his expertise, who could have buried things sooooo deep..it took many many minds to dig thru all the cra@pp0ll@ to get to the truth of the matter..IF there is NOTHING there..then OKay..

I am just getting frustrated with all the menusia!!! Sorry :banghead:

Hope everyone had a wonderful, safe day!!

:goodpost:

I do want justice. And for the 3rd time this week, I agree with you 100% :thud:

The twists in this case are so bizarre. JW, CF it's like a security geek cage match. They are very much alike and clearly have great mutual respect for each other. Has the case gone completely haywire and become a techno battle rather than quest for justice?

So here's the deal: lots of routers have the capability to have FXO ports. However, it is extremely a rare case to actually have an FXO port configured in a router. There simply are not a lot of use cases for this. Most routers with telephone interfaces either have FXS ports (to plug a phone into) or T1 (to plug into a PBX or telephony switch).

If he did have a router that could support an FXO port, it would be relatively easy to figure out if he had configured it with an FXO interface.

Now, in order to configure such router, he would have either needed to telnet into the router or connect a console cable to the router from a PC. Both of these would theoretically leave evidence on the PC that had configured the router. It's not fast or easy to do.

So in order to determine if this whole conversation is relevant, first you would need to determine:

1. that the router was actually there in his household on the evening of 7/11
2. that the router was missing on 7/12 or after

There are two possible ways to do that. First, check any switches that were in the house. They should indicate a history of the router connecting to the switch. You would need to connect to the switch in order to telnet. OR

Second, check whatever program you would use to connect to the router via the console cable. This would be found on the PC.

All of this should be discoverable in either the switch or the PC.

Interesting. These are basically the exact questions I've asked on here this week (would he need the PC to provision the router). I was told by someone (I don't remember who) that you could use a keyboard and monitor directly to the router without the PC. At least I think that is what they said.

I'm with some others on this. Let it all in. Let the defense put up their forensic expert from yesterday and let this rebuttal witness testify and let the chips fall where they may. If it's proven that there was a router in his house that night that could contain an FXO card, then the jury has to come back with guilty. If it's not clear or more smoke and mirrors (which quite honestly most of this trial has been) then any of the 3 choices for verdict could be had, probably odds leaning toward NG or Hung.

The state knows their case is thin. I think everyone knows that now. This is pretty much their last ditch effort to drive it home. If they swing and miss, well...

Yes lets let it all in ...even all the evidence the Judge won't let the Pros admit because it is too prejudicial to Brad...I am all for letting in ALL the evidence..every little history byte found on his computers ...this was discussed in open court

it has to do with the router that was brought in and shown during Jay's testimony and it has to do with the command prompts and such that Jay was talking about

The only thing discussed concerning that router was the size of it. That, and Boz asked him to point to the fxo port (which there wasn't one).

I think this case is showcasing the future of what law enforcement might have to deal with - and highlights the limited capacity of detectives to deal with this kind of data, as well as the limited success in which attorney and experts can paint that picture I spoke of a couple months ago.

Regardless of the verdict - attorneys and PD's all over the country are going to be talking about, and learning from, this case.

LyndyLoo was spot on in her post. The focus on the "evidence" that the CPD was comfortable with - ducks, statements from friends, weird behavior, security tapes from stores, buying habits - all ultimately yielded nothing and perhaps just served to pi$$ off the jury when they realized it was much ado about nothing.

I still believe the jury will deliver NG. Just too much static clouding the case.

Interesting. These are basically the exact questions I've asked on here this week (would he need the PC to provision the router). I was told by someone (I don't remember who) that you could use a keyboard and monitor directly to the router without the PC. At least I think that is what they said.

I think it was me and I was saying the same thing about connecting the PC to the router using a console cable. I may have worded it poorly.

No, you need to have a PC of some sort to provision a router. But you can connect to it directly via a console cable, which is a very specialized cable for configuring routers. BC would definitely have had one, no doubt. Anyone who has ever configured a router probably has a console cable lying around. But the log of accessing the router should theoretically be on the PC somewhere (not as confident about that though, since I've never actually searched for a log).

LTNS fellow Canuk..thought you were To'd..Anyway..you are correct..Although the actual Router is missing, Cisco has in the 11th hour found the buried records of just what went thru that rounter..and voila!!

That router was actualy Cisco owned,( tho ordered by Brad January '08) so would and should have records of its activity regardless of where it was?? and so they should unless it gets utilized or sold to private party...What really bugs my butt is why did it take so long to figure that out?? Geesh!!..But, maybe Super intellent Puter geeks dont think that way ..Geesh.

Someone may correct me IF I am wrong..but wasnt these records requestioned months (Feb) ago..prior to trial to Cisco?..thus made it admissible?

as I understood it Cisco wouldn't give it up without a court order...

I think this case is showcasing the future of what law enforcement might have to deal with - and highlights the limited capacity of detectives to deal with this kind of data, as well as the limited success in which attorney and experts can paint that picture I spoke of a couple months ago.

Regardless of the verdict - attorneys and PD's all over the country are going to be talking about, and learning from, this case.

LyndyLoo was spot on in her post. The focus on the "evidence" that the CPD was comfortable with - ducks, statements from friends, weird behavior, security tapes from stores, buying habits - all ultimately yielded nothing and perhaps just served to pi$$ off the jury when they realized it was much ado about nothing.

I still believe the jury will deliver NG. Just too much static clouding the case.

LOL...Actually, since the jury asked about the end of the trial during the defense's case, I think they are voting GUILTY. :twocents:

Regardless, since so many seem to have "inside" information about the defense and its case, who is the defense's trial/jury consultant?? Are they a local firm?

Thanks...

So here's the deal: lots of routers have the capability to have FXO ports. However, it is extremely a rare case to actually have an FXO port configured in a router. There simply are not a lot of use cases for this. Most routers with telephone interfaces either have FXS ports (to plug a phone into) or T1 (to plug into a PBX or telephony switch).

If he did have a router that could support an FXO port, it would be relatively easy to figure out if he had configured it with an FXO interface.

Now, in order to configure such router, he would have either needed to telnet into the router or connect a console cable to the router from a PC. Both of these would theoretically leave evidence on the PC that had configured the router. It's not fast or easy to do.

So in order to determine if this whole conversation is relevant, first you would need to determine:

1. that the router was actually there in his household on the evening of 7/11
2. that the router was missing on 7/12 or after

There are two possible ways to do that. First, check any switches that were in the house. They should indicate a history of the router connecting to the switch. You would need to connect to the switch in order to telnet. OR

Second, check whatever program you would use to connect to the router via the console cable. This would be found on the PC.

All of this should be discoverable in either the switch or the PC.

Thanks for spelling all this out. This is exactly what I meant when I said it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out what did or did not happen.

I think they will too. And that verdict will fall squarely on the shoulders of the prosecution team. I can't believe this is what our tax dollars are paying for.

OT post/ I am just reflecting on how wonderful life is. Southdide Johnny, grilling food on the grill, sweet Josie beer and time spent with family. No matter how bad things get we always have our memories and thoughts of tomorrow to keep us going. We all make mistakes and we all find ourselves facing hard times. We must always remember that we can always walk and don't look back. Regardless how this ends we should remember that there woo always be better days!!!

I think it was me and I was saying the same thing about connecting the PC to the router using a console cable. I may have worded it poorly.

Thanks for clarifying. So it would still potentially leave a trail on the PC then, right? You have to use some program (telnet, putty, whatever) to access it?

I agree, it feels like we are at a similar point in time as to when DNA evidence first started being used (which coincided with the OJ case). Things like this is no new, stuff like forensic computer exams, cell phone forensics, etc. Things are not as quite understood yet (or so it feels). This in turn can only confuse the jury.

I don't really blame the state, they are pretty much trying to work with the hand dealt to them. This case has proven that sometimes what looks so apparent may not be so when you dig really deep down into the details.

as I understood it Cisco wouldn't give it up without a court order...

But from my IIRC that court order went to them (CISCO) pre-trial..Who knows Bud, maybe they didnt even start to look until that court order?? which voila turned up this knew evidence?? I think that the realy reason it is being accepted..not just for rebuttal of JW..but to get to the bottom of just WHO DID WHEN and WHERE....

and the "Long Lost ROuter" which is mysteriously missing??? Amazing, eh?:seeya:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member