What Punishment Should a Pedophile Receive for Sexually Abusing a Child?

What Punishment Should a Pedophile Receive for Sexually Abusing a Child

• Lethal injection

Votes: 80 6.8%
  • Medical castration and life without parole

Votes: 186 15.7%
  • Medical castration with intense therapy and a light prison term

Votes: 25 2.1%
  • Life in prison without parole

Votes: 194 16.4%
  • Life in prison with a chance of parole but only with medical castration

Votes: 95 8.0%
  • Life in prison with a chance of parole.

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • Long prison term with intense counseling then review for possible parole

Votes: 67 5.7%
  • Electric chair death

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • Death, any method that works.

Votes: 172 14.6%
  • Death - unless falsely accused

Votes: 31 2.6%
  • Blind them so they can never see a child again

Votes: 8 0.7%
  • The same punishment as the child did, then death

Votes: 41 3.5%
  • Torture....LOTS of brutal torture....then death.

Votes: 40 3.4%
  • all of the above

Votes: 47 4.0%
  • LWOP in general population

Votes: 60 5.1%
  • SURGICAL castration and LWOP!

Votes: 59 5.0%
  • Permanent psych ward stay

Votes: 13 1.1%
  • Verbatim Quote from BH 'Take him to a cabin in the woods, nail his balls to the floor and set the ca

Votes: 12 1.0%
  • Surgical castration, light prison sentence with psychotherapy

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • Surgical castration and a frontal lobotomy followed by LWOP

Votes: 9 0.8%

• Total voters
LOL...since over half the answers involve death, I wonder where that leaves simple serial murderers.

The problem I have with this poll is that sex offenses run the gamut from the 21 yo's with 17 yo's to the serial rapist/torturer/murderer like John Couey all the way to kids who play doctor at age 12 (yes, they are on the registry, though not on the Internet). Next, if we are only going to execute less than 1% of all murderers, it is prohibitively expensive to kill all sex offenders from a standpoint of ROI alone.

Better is the following:

1. All murderers should be executed, no matter or not if rape was involved.
2. All forcible rapes involving <18 should end up in LWOP. Period. No plea bargains. Important note: I purposeful said "forceful" rather than "consensual", because consent is a LEGAL definition, not an ACTUAL definition. Two parties can willingly have sex with each other, but it is not concensual if one of the parties is underage (or if both parties are underage, whatever laws constitute a crime at that point with regard to age difference).
3. Any rape of a minor, or non-consensual sex act of an adult, that occurs after a kidnapping act should end ip in LWOP. Period. No plea bargains.

An important note: If I catch the perp attacking my own child myself, he will not go through normal "justice" methods. I will kill him after torturing him and making him feel pain. This is not a threat, and frankly, I don't care about being caught. I don't say anything different than we all FEEL here; the difference is that I have the means to execute the process.

Having said that:

We come to the oodles of gray area as to punishments. For instance, I cannot for the life of me understand why the age of consent in ANY state be less than 18 years old for sex. It is ironic, for instance, that a 50 year old man can screw a 16 year old freshman or sophomore in high school in many states and be perfectly legal, while that 16 year old girl can have sex with a 15 year old boy and be labeled a Tier 3 predator. While both incidents are crimes, obviously we have no concept here. What I would propose is this:

1. Immediately force all states, through witholding of Byrne grants or similar funding mechanisms, to institute an 18-year-old age of consent minimum age. In addition, I would also institute a gradated method of punishment, so that would preclude 19 year olds with 17 year old girlfriends. I would probably use the 3 year and 4 year older rule: that is, 18 year olds can go with 15 year olds, 19 with 16, 20 with 16, and 21 with 17. In addition, make it a felony for teachers to have sex with any students under them, even if over 18, if they are in school. This includes any grooming that may have been performed.

This will eliminate about 30% of the registry. In addition, I"m not saying that kids should be allowed to have sex before 18 or before they are out of HS by any means; punishments can still be accorded, but not at the level of sex offender. They have started with Texting on this regard.

2. Federalize ALL sex offenses as they do for banking crimes. This way they can standardize the crimes through all 50 states and US territories.

3. Federalize the sex offender registry, and do not allow any private source to access the registry for their own purposes. The problem with private registries is that they are not accountable for mistakes, and in many cases they do not change as needed. For instance, an offender may move from a residence, then an innocent family move into that residence. When someone looks at a private registry and targets the house, they may hurt or kill an innocent person rather than the perv, and that would cause legal problems. Therefore, keeping the registry under strict accountability is key.

4. All sex offenses should result in the following:

a) Immediate separation of their children and any influence in their children's lives while registered.
b) If the crime is done to someone not in the family, an immediate seizure of all financial assets, including car, home, property, and bank accounts. Such financial assets should be distributed to court costs, sentencing costs, and incarceration costs; also to the victims, or if no victims such as internet stings or child *advertiser censored* involving unknown or fake children, distributed to victims' assistance groups. Only allow enough assets for legal defense of the crime charged for the initial trial; no money need be set aside for appeals. While technically the money cannot be seized until a guilty verdict is rendered, the control of such money can be prevented upon arrest.
c) Ease of divorce by spouse: Suspend any divorce roadblocks meant to keep families together. If spouse is not implicated in the crime, spouse gets complete supervision of children.

Upon conviction:

Sentencing should be done at the federal level, where there is no parole. They should create a special prison for sex offenders, as remote as possible, as harsh as conditions as humanely allowable for prisoners including hard labor (REAL "hard labor" involving intense physical work; not this legal crap such as Louisiana uses). The MINIMUM sentence for a first time offense is 5 years; but most offenses should be for 10 years or more.

For any sentence that involves release, a board shall convene to assess the actual release requirements for all offenders. As a minimum, each offender shall go through an intensive sex offender evaluation process (paid for by the seized assets). If offenders cannot pass it, then they need to go to a federal civil commitment center. Note that most of the people that currently go to them NOW would not get out of prison in the first place as their sentences will be decades, if not life (no parole in federal prison).

NOW, once they are released... we are not done!!

Instead of being released to the community, they are assessed a Tier Level for their sex offense, preferably along the lines of the current system of 15 years, 25 years, and lifetime. Once assessed, they go to a zone created specifically for RSO's, preferably in the center of Alaska or, if need be, within CONUS in the middle of the desert. TEchnically, these would not be jails or prisons, but highly, constitutionally monitored zones. Offenders would have to live in the zone. They would have to have approved jobs within the zone, and not be able to have access to Internet, alcohol, and other items detrimental to their being. They would live in barracks-like existence, and have to pay for their upkeep.

Prison? Nope. This would be EASY to set up, and yes, it can be done constitutionally. But the bottom line is that instead of coming up with sentences of death, and as I said earlier, I have no qualms of killing anyone who have hurt or abused my children.

What say?

NOTE: This post may be moved to its own thread by moderators. I only posted here because I cannot make my own thread, and this is the most appropriate location for this discussion for me to post at.

I would vote you into office!

Lobotomy in addition to many of the the other suggestions.

Just take a hand drill and apply it to the part of the brain that controls the thought process.

Then do what ever else you want with them. Also, I really don't care what order it's done in.

Death by General Population works for me. Then we harvest their organs. Win win IMO.

Oh, so many violent options. It bothers me when the perceived solution to violence is violence in retaliation. I wanted to vote for "Long prison term with intense counseling then review for possible parole" but it doesn't seem that counseling is effective with pedophiles; nor is incarceration. There are so many repeat offenders. I think the only rational option is life without parole. I did consider life in a mental health ward with heavy sedation also. Oh, and I do like LisaB's idea of Pedophisland. I've often thought a penal colony on a remote island, where prisoners farm their own food, would be fitting for lifers.

i read a bumper sticker or something that said something like: "Armless keeps them Harmless"

not exactly an answer -- but i ponder it from time to time... all i believe is that there is no such thing as rehab for these guys...and that some of the people listed as offenders are not true offenders which totally complicates EVERYTHING. and the term "sex offender" is too vague... i wanna know if they attack children, boys or girls or both and of what ages or is this some kind of peeper/stalker adult violent stranger raper...not someone who pee'd outside the bar and got arrested or some 18yr old with a 16year old girlfriend...kwim?

I hate that these criminals are the reason for so much fear in our communities.

And I hate that so much money, time and effort must be put into law- and policy-making because of them. That so many resources that could be used elsewhere must go toward making sure child sex offenders are caught and prosecuted, that potential victims (ie, any child at all, anywhere) are not more at risk than can be helped, and that abused kids get what they need to heal.

I hate that when these sickos go to jail, WE are paying for their keep, their legal aid.

I hate to even think about how many families and futures have suffered because of habitual child molesters.

And I hate that the terrible harm they do outweighs the kindness that is natural to my spirit, and makes me a hateful, frightened person who wishes nothing better than death for those with this incurable psychopathy.

Lethal injection for third strike.

^ I'd say 'first strike', because hell, there's at least TWO more young and innocent lives ruined right there, but that stubborn patch of kindness in me says 'there's always room for error'. Once, at a very large stretch twice. Three times? No way.

After the recent cases in Wyoming, Colorado and the UK, I've changed my vote to the cabin in the woods. Quite frankly, anything else is too good for them.

Castration is the best idea, along with a ton of therapy. But there's two problems:

1. Most people who sexually attack others do it for power, it's almost never sexually motivated. So castration could possibly make what future children go through that much worse.

2. After all of the Eugenics movements and sterilization of the feeble-minded all the way until the 70's, I doubt that would ever actually happen.

were the grandparents that havent stopped for justice for our grandson.hopefully it will be solved soon,have new people in sheriffs dept a new sheriff an a wonderful dectective

I voted all of the above, but I don't think anyone who molests/rapes a little child should be paroled. Ever. Unfortunately, they usually are. So I think if they are released back into the world they should have PEDO tattooed onto their forehead, chin, nose, hands, or neck (or all). It should be very, very easy for a mother to spot one of those demented freaks and keep her kids and herself away from him. There should be some kind of visible marking and I would also not be opposed to castration.

Daily water-boarding for the entire duration of their prison stay would suit me fine and maybe even discourage repeat offenders. It would make it easier for me to accept that I'm helping pay for shelter, food, television, and educations for perverts.

Either life without parole (in general population) or death.

It means ALMOST all of them were once THEMSELVES victims of sexual abuse. It means some CAN actually make internal changes and find other outlet for their frustrations and learn to have relations with adults. It means they CAN still be reached if someone cares enough to make the effort. Some cannot but some can. Should we always just throw human beings out with the bathwater. Do we neglect that most of these offenders were once victims themselves that, for their OWN victimization, from my professional experience, most likely NEVER received any support?
I'll continue to lobby that rehabilitation is possible for at least some. And that it means we have to take responsibility and TRY!
Victims get, THESE days, all the support they dare to seek out. Fifty years ago, when THESE men were victimized, there was no such thing. None.
That matters people.
It matters.

We break the cycle by supporting and rehabilitating NOW!
Better late than never.

MOO

Do you have any statistical support (links) for these claims? Are there numbers for those that have been successfully rehabbed?

Also, my understanding is that the majority of Sex Offenders are NOT prior victims - something like less than 30% (I'll go find a link) so I would be interested to see where your numbers come from. I absolutely 100% agree that research needs to be done on this issue and that we, as a society, need to find ways to prevent/avert behaviors that may result in such crimes.

And, I want to point out that this is not just a male gender crime. Women also are guilty of sexual abuse - maybe not as many as men, but their role cannot be ignored, because, in my opinion only (I have NO facts for this) it appears to me that the crimes of women are becoming more violent and more frequent.

Salem

ETA: This article supports Kavya's theory: http://jiv.sagepub.com/content/15/4/363.short
And here is a study by the GAO that says "cycle" sex abuse is inconclusive: http://www.gao.gov/archive/1996/gg96178.pdf

I am old, and this occurred at a time when I was in Middle School, I believe, but a man who was a convicted rapist was released after chemical castration. Several months later, he was arrested for "penetration with a foreign object" (a branch and a Coke bottle). Rape is as much about power and control as sex, and if the intended "weapon" is not available, the perp may find a substitute (in SOME cases).

Depending upon the circumstances of the offense (i.e.: sexual abuse in furtherance of kidnapping) the DP should certainly be on the table, even for a first-time offense, and definitely for a recidivist. In most instances, I recommend a term of rehabilitative incarceration followed by a term of parole supervision for a first-time offense with the possibility of lethal injection for a second offense.

Being a victim of child molestation myself and seeing that NOTHING changed the man who did this. He continued to molest for yrs. I'd have to say either locked up for life with no parole or dp. These people not only molest, their acts stay with these innocents for life. I have researched and from what I have read, they are not rehabitable. You cannot change them. Lets give the kids a break and take the perps off the streets FOREVER!

I went with ''long prison w/ intense counseling and possibility for parole,'' but it really depends on the circumstances.

There are some molesters who will genuinely feel remorseful for what they've done and, when it comes to those guys, I think there's a chance that we can rehabilitate them and make them contributing members of society. Not because I feel bad for them or anything, but because I know that the current system - where revenge takes precedent over reformation - actually makes things worse. It probably goes without saying, but you're making things worse when you throw a guy in prison for 10+ years, offer substandard treatment, have him hardened by prison life, possibly traumatize him (prison rape is not uncommon), and then suddenly release him back into society. So I'm willing to put my disgust aside, provide serious therapy and education, and then make it possible to parole the ones who have a chance to turn their lives around.

And then, of course, you have the guys that you just can't reform I mean the ones who have multiple victims, who tortured the child, who caused disfiguring or life-threatening injuries, etc. and who are not sorry for it. They're psychopaths and there's something broken in the brain that's preventing them from feeling remorse and guilt. You really can't work with people like that and, for them, I think they should have life without parole. If they want to get an education and become model prisoners, then good for them - but I'm not okay with releasing them.

I'd say ''death penalty'' for the second group, but I don't support it in practice simply because the idea of executing an innocent person terrifies me (there are so many cases where mistakes are made or the police/prosecutors were corrupt).

Many sexual offenders have been the victim of such crimes themselves yes, but they go on to become a danger to the public and hurt other innocent people. Just because they have had trauma does not mean the crimes they do to others are any less horriffic to that victim.

I do believe sexual crimes are something which a person either enjoys and has a taste for or not. If you have an attraction it is incredibly difficult to not offend and I don't think innocent people should suffer to give a criminal another chance. That is basically saying it is worth taking a completely innocent and law abiding person and allowing their life to be destroyed and them suffer to give someone who has caused great harm another chance. I just don't think it is justifiable.

You can't castrate them because it's not driven by their private parts or frustration of a normal sexual manner. It is a deep routed psychological problem so if they get castrated they will use their hands or other items.

I read a news story years ago about a man who had abused a child. It came to light that this man had begged his doctors to castrate him and remove his hands. He said if not he knew he'd reoffend in some way and he didn't want to. Of course they couldn't do that to him but they didn't take him off the streets.

As with the above post I do think perhaps there are some who can be rehibilitated but it depends I think where the problem originates from but do think it'll always be a risk an innocent person is put through the most terrible of experiences.

Depending upon the circumstances of the offense (i.e.: sexual abuse in furtherance of kidnapping) the DP should certainly be on the table, even for a first-time offense, and definitely for a recidivist. In most instances, I recommend a term of rehabilitative incarceration followed by a term of parole supervision for a first-time offense with the possibility of lethal injection for a second offense.

I wonder why you think kidnapping makes sexual abuse that much worse? Does being taken to another location make it any more traumatic for a child being assaulted when it happends after being taken somewhere Vs the abuse happening in their own home or at school?
Because I really don't think kidnapping makes it more terrible for the child, in fact it occuring in their own home would make them feel nowhere was safe.

I will NEVER give leniency to a child molester because they themselves were a victim. We can't give everybody a break that commits a crime, because of something that happened to them as a child. Adults know the difference between right and wrong. As a survivor I will do everything in my power to see that another human being doesn't have to go through what I did.

There are no statistics or research that will ever change my opinion.

A good number of pedophiles have many victims before they are caught and prosecuted.

Do we give them a second chance or third or fourth or do we protect society? What is it going to be?

Sorry if I repeated what others have said, I haven't kept up with the thread.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spartan12!!
Back