WA - Pia Klein, 73, left on floor for 10 wks before dying, Medical Lake, 9 Feb 2009

It could be. It's hard to know when it's right to follow someone's wishes and when it's right to insist. Guess since I'm someone who expects her wishes to be followed, I can hardly condemn him for respecting his wife's -- (if that's what he was doing.)

I agree completely. If I told my husband to leave me on the floor, he'd better honor that. In this case - there's just not enough info to know what happened, but I'm not willing to assume he was trying to let her die a slow death on the floor.

My own dear departed father was totally cowed by my mother and her demanding ways and orders to "do this" and "don't do that". The older he got the quieter he got, until it got to the point where he would just sit there in his chair staring at the TV, ignoring her.

He was in his mid 80's when he died suddenly of a heart attack one day. Mom, rather than mourning the loss of her spouse of 60 some years, became very angry. Angry that he had "left her here all by herself' and "now she had no one to take her to the store". (She hadn't driven for some 5 years prior to his death)

There was a time about two years prior to his death that Mom fell and broke her arm in three places, as it turns out. She refused to allow him to call an ambulance, insisted that he "drive her to the doctor's office", which he did. They of course, promptly got her to the E.R.

But I know that if Mom said "No ambulance" he would not have dared to call one. He was just too old and too tired to fight her - not that he ever did much anyways.

So what goes on in the dynamics of these oldsters when the dementia sets in can result in situations like this one, I am sure.

By the way, just for the record, there are other forms of dementia than Alzheimers. There is senile dementia and there is vascular dementia, to name just two others.

A Person with extreme Dementia.
My Mom has worked with elderly people for 35+ years and I have heard all kinds of stories about folks with extreme dementia. They can get very confused and disoriented.

But I do think there is a good chance the husband is a UAV that needs to be locked up for the rest of his days.

Either way this is a really sad story

The husband claimed that she had nothing wrong with her before this happened and she was only 73, ten years younger than her husband. I'd think a person with dementia would still be trying to pull themselves around or at least move and be demanding something unless catatonic. I wonder if her hip broke or if she was sedating the woman. He told the daughter when she would make her weekly calls that the wife was ill and couldn't talk. He also claims to have thought the wife would get better and get up on her own. He told her to excercise while she lay there. He must have been in pretty good mental shape or the daughter would have became suspicious in those ten weeks.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back