Questions Specifically for Benjaman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Benjamin. I am somewhat new to WS. I went back tonight and read through the threads here. I saw you have a possible memory of Arthur Treachers Fish & Chips. I do know for sure there was one of these in or near Jekyll Island, GA around 1974. I know this because I went there from Virginia with my mom, sister, brother-in-law and I do not eat seafood, fish of any kind and so my mom and I went next door to some kind of other restaurant while my sister and her husband went to AT F & C.

Speaking of my brother-in-law, he worked for a few years at Kenny's Drive-In and eventually managed a lot of them and I think they were only in Virginia with possibly one in West Virginia.

Also, there was a Burger Chef in Roanoke, VA, and both my husband and I believe they went out around 1974-75.

This same brother-in-law (passed away in 1992 sadly) but worked as a route salesman for S & D Coffee Company. If you have heard of S & D or Kenny's Drive In, I'll do a little more research to see exactly what states they covered. Thank you.

My husband is from Michigan and he thinks grits were mainly a southern food.

Grits are Great. I have eaten them all of my life-without sugar. Southerners like to make fun of Yankees who put sugar on their grits, but I have seen lots of Southerners do it.
Arthur Treachers Fish & Chips was part of a restaurant industry fad that went through the country in the seventies. KFC's version was H.Salt Fish & Chips. Everyone was opening fish and chips restaurants all across the country. There are some Arthur Treachers Fish & Chips still in Jacksonville, Florida. I think that the only chain, of any size, that is left is Long John Silvers.
S & D sounds familiar but I never heard of Kenny's.

O/T Catholic and Polish Cubby? You and I could be twins, LOL!! Na zdowie! All these food questions got me thinking...

Benjaman: Do you remember any ethnic food traditions growing up? The Polish always have fish, pierogis, babka, golabki (cabbage rolls). Italian food is homemade sauce, pastas, pesto, breads, pastries. If you were German- sauerbraten, spatzele, red cabbage and sauerkraut were staples; the Irish have corn beef, lamb stew, and soda bread. Any particular foods you remember that may have been ethnic traditions?

How about holiday traditions? Most Catholic Polish have oplatki and fish on Christmas eve. Many italians have fish and pasta only before mass, and then a big feast after. Any favorite Christmas cookies? My ukrainian stepmother makes kolachke, and a Polish favorite is chruschici. My german grandmother made apple strudel. Do you remember making Christmas cookies or any special gifts you received for Christmas? Did you celebrate St. Nicholas day (Dec 6th)? Did you sing in the church choir or ring bells?

Oh my, I just laughed out loud reading this and my almost 7 year asked what was so funny, so I read this to him. Now this kid has an appetite that would compete with an old man in NY from the old country - my son is like Mikie, he likes everything, but he thought this sounded disgusting.

I'm lost on the Catholic thing.... Other than lamb cake at Easter, and no meat on fridays during lent, I don't remember any foods specifically being 'catholic'. ;) What about special foods for holidays?

I do remember my dad telling me my polish ancestors ate duck blood soup, and I was like oh no, that is one I simply could not try. (I think I would try chitlins first)

On a Catholic note, do you have any recollections of your first communion? Your confirmation? - such as confirmation name, or even your sponser? Anything in particular about your Catholic schooling? We had some nuns and then later brothers. We used to get away with wearing our uniforms too short, but that was the late 70's. I remember in 8th grade Sister Mary Estelle (complete nasty woman she was- and the school principal) locked a kindergartner in the storage closet for not finishing his lunch. He could have been hurt if the stacked chairs and tables had fallen on him. I told his teacher, who told me to mind my own business. I didn't know any better than, but I wish I would have known to find him after school and ask to talk to his mother to tell her what happened. Catholic school today- post all the sexual abuse that was exposed- is much different now than it was even 20 years ago. One of the preists, Father White, who was only at my school for a short time, was moved from school to school for abuse. (that was the 70's). So, I understand some of the bad memories.

Grits are Great. I have eaten them all of my life-without sugar. Southerners like to make fun of Yankees who put sugar on their grits, but I have seen lots of Southerners do it.
Arthur Treachers Fish & Chips was part of a restaurant industry fad that went through the country in the seventies. KFC's version was H.Salt Fish & Chips. Everyone was opening fish and chips restaurants all across the country. There are some Arthur Treachers Fish & Chips still in Jacksonville, Florida. I think that the only chain, of any size, that is left is Long John Silvers.
S & D sounds familiar but I never heard of Kenny's.

Who in their right mind puts sugar on grits? From Chicago and I eat them with butter and salt. (and no, I will not try them with jalepeno's "Iron Stomach Benjaman". ;))

I remember Arthur Treachers- greasy, but one of the first places I would try seafood, AT was also a 'national' chain. I would stop at a long john silvers if I knew were one was....Red Lobster is/was much better for a seafood chain. ;) Being from Chicago, and liking to try different food.

It's become a 'no no' of mine to eat at a chain restaurant, or if it is a chain- a chain outside of the local area. (If I can help it) Nothing beats the local "home made" food, especially the local 'hole in the wall- no atmosphere to speak of' - but fantastic food!

Sliced Jalapenos on ice cream is good-Try adding them to the Ice cream when you are making it.

Hence the nick name, "Iron Stomach Benjaman". and I thought some of the concotions my son came up with, where stomach turning. He put hot peppers ( a few we had left over from a side) into a vegetable/fruit salad he made all by himself.

Hence the nick name, "Iron Stomach Benjaman". and I thought some of the concotions my son came up with, where stomach turning. He put hot peppers ( a few we had left over from a side) into a vegetable/fruit salad he made all by himself.

Good For Him!

The longer the Hard Boiled Eggs(Hereinafter known as HBE'S) sit in the pickling brine, the harder the outside layer of the egg would get. The best Pickled HBE's(Hereinafter known as PHBE's) had sat in the brine for several weeks. You could even put food colouring in the brine and the eggs would come out bright red or green. This was great if you wanted to gross out someone by eating a coloured PHBE in front of them.
In case anyone is wondering, you do peel the eggs after boiling and before putting them in the brine.

There is much speculation about foods that I like. I have very Catholic tastes(pun intended). Here is one recipe that I eat often. It is a very forgiving recipe, so the amounts do not matter a whole lot.
Oatmeal
Chicken base(do not use chicken bouillon)
Jalapeno peppers or Hot Sauce or red pepper flakes
Frozen Vegetables
Onion
Garlic powder
Just cook together until the oatmeal is done.
Some of you will not believe that I eat this, but I do-Just ask NB.

Sliced Jalapenos on ice cream is good-Try adding them to the Ice cream when you are making it.

I would like to ask for a moment of silence to mourn the demise of Benjaman's tastebuds at some point in his life...(just kidding...really.)

My kids will put tabasco on anything...

Okay, no sugar on grits. But I do have a friend who puts sugar in her tuna salad, and also puts sugar on saltines and milk. I myself prefer ritz with milk. And as for the Japapenos, I love them. Can do without the tabasco, and I live here.
Oatmeal, with milk, sugar and cinnamon for me. Don't care much for the instant packs of the oatmeal, just not the same, but will eat it in a rush.
And, give me a ribeye over t-bone or filet mignon. I love ribeyes, especially griled with teriyaki and butter. Man has that went up in cost in the last 5 years! Okay, so now you all have got me hungry. LOL.

And since you like gumbo with tomatoes, how would you make your base for the gumbo? Like it dark or lite? Or do you prefer the roux in the jar?

I like pickled eggs, especially quail eggs, maybe cause they are small, they taste about the same as a chicken egg pickled.

With the way you mix up the tastes and your concoctions, it makes me wonder if you weren't a chef at some point. (Most normal men would not know the difference between a chicken base and bouillon or even how to spell bouillon. LOL) It would also explain your vast knowledge of restaurant fixtures and features. There are great culinary programs in Colorado including Denver.

How handy are you with the kitchen knives? This is quite an art which you could find to be second nature if you were well trained.

Believe it or not, there are a few recipes online for "oatmeal soup". (I'm still not convinced it's something I'd like to try, but in a way it's not much different from a barley soup.)

I'm interested in the food angle because I wonder if in any way it could be helpful. At one time, lots of neighborhoods and areas were somewhat ethnic. The neighborhood I grew up in was mostly people who came over from Germany, so there was a lot of struedel, kraut, etc...

Do you feel a certain "kinship" with any particular ethnicity? Do your food choices come from memory or have you developed a lot of new tastes (in your opinion?)

Believe it or not, there are a few recipes online for "oatmeal soup". (I'm still not convinced it's something I'd like to try, but in a way it's not much different from a barley soup.)

I'm interested in the food angle because I wonder if in any way it could be helpful. At one time, lots of neighborhoods and areas were somewhat ethnic. The neighborhood I grew up in was mostly people who came over from Germany, so there was a lot of struedel, kraut, etc...

Do you feel a certain "kinship" with any particular ethnicity? Do your food choices come from memory or have you developed a lot of new tastes (in your opinion?)

I actually did a quick search last nite and found this: and, she's from ALABAMA...

http://www.gone-ta-pott.com/gruel.html

I actually did a quick search last nite and found this: and, she's from ALABAMA...

http://www.gone-ta-pott.com/gruel.html
I didn't know that "sop" was really a word until I read this. LOL I thought it was only what my grandmother taught me and was her word since I had not heard anyone else use it. I learn something new every day about my Southern roots. ;)

So Benjaman...when was the last time you "sopped"? LOL

I didn't know that "sop" was really a word until I read this. LOL I thought it was only what my grandmother taught me and was her word since I had not heard anyone else use it. I learn something new every day about my Southern roots. ;)

I use the term also SS. LOL

It reminds me of my grandmother's funny southern phrases, too. "Excuse a hog...a pig would know better" is one I taught my grands. hehehe

I know southern women have a ton of them and maybe your roots began in the south with your mother or grandmother. My grandmother was from the deep south which is where her phrases originated for the most part.

Are there any phrases you catch yourself using which are odd to other people?

Remember, you can also throw a sop to the Hoi Polloi. Don't tell anyone, but I use the dictionary-it makes me seem erudite.

With the way you mix up the tastes and your concoctions, it makes me wonder if you weren't a chef at some point. (Most normal men would not know the difference between a chicken base and bouillon or even how to spell bouillon. LOL) It would also explain your vast knowledge of restaurant fixtures and features. There are great culinary programs in Colorado including Denver.

How handy are you with the kitchen knives? This is quite an art which you could find to be second nature if you were well trained.

My knife work needs work.:crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member