IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I'm just thinking more abstractly. For the record, I don't believe that any of the named POI's have a camp connection to each other. But, I am under the impression that it was a camp connection that brought JR together with his 4 roommates (yes, I realize none of them were there that night).

I am of the same belief, and add that I believe that those (absent) roommates may be high school (or earlier) friends with MB.

the article in the herald times re Bo Dietle's involvement includes some pretty good response from the chief of BPD... but I'm concerned about the comments section - especially those from people saying that they've lost respect for CS/RS with their choice of PI...

I would hate to see the community turn their backs on the family...

I hope CS/RS' communications consultant is developing a damage control message because this has the potential to become ugly--a "lose-lose" situation.

This has been my impression all along. If the Waffle House were as speculated by Walker, including College Ave being an artery for lots of transient thru-traffic, I assume that we would be hearing a lot more about a possible crime of opportunity and a lot less about LS's "friends." The mere fact that SW (and the other College Ave apartments?) is full of rich East Coast kids who feel comfortable walking around in the wee hours of the morning suggests that it's not.

About the only reason I see thru traffic coming off 'new' highway 37 would be to take 46 into Columbus, IN and hit I65 there. But that assumes the traffic heading south wouldn't have went thru Indy first where they could've picked picked up I65 there much more quickly and bypassed a lot of hilly, curvy, 2 lane terrain on 46 between Bloomington and Columbus. And I can't imagine too much traffic heading north on 37 would go as far as Bloomington to take 46 over to 65. There are better routes.

Also, if you were taking 46 from 37 to I65 there's a Denny's at the college/walnut intersection (I assume it's still there anyway) so that would attract any out of towners looking for a quick bite on their way thru and negate them wandering up College off their path.

IOW, as AE said, College isn't likely to have much thru traffic. It's going to be more locals or trucks making deliveries (which would be regular deliveries). ...Which is not to rule out a crime of opportunity with someone from that group.

Here's another scenario along the "crime of opportunity" lines, in which all of the POI that we've heard from in the media are actually telling the truth. When I visited B-town and drove around the Smallwood/5 North block for the first time since Lauren's disappearance, like many others have said, the thing that jumped out at me immediately was all the construction. Thinking about this, here are some of my questions ...

- Who is in charge of this construction, specifically the project directly across the street from 5 North, but other areas as well?
- How does the construction company staff their jobs? Do they use company employees? Sub-contractors? Temporary workers? What kind of info would be kept on said workers?
- Could some of the people working across from 5 North have been from out of town? Other parts of the country? Illegal immigrants?
- Would any of the workers there have "rolled off" the job immediately or shortly following LS's disappearance? Did anyone suddenly quit, or get sick, or not show up on June 3? Did someone have a few days off?

What if an out-of-towner working the construction site had noticed all the cute co-eds hanging around the area and decided he wanted to "have some fun"? He could have scoped out the area, places he could lurk, planned out how he could grab someone (say, someone small and alone) and get them out of the area fast. If he's not local, someone with few connections to the area, and especially if he was done at the construction site or just had a few days off, he could have taken her anywhere and then either skipped town or returned to work on Monday.

Plausible? Thoughts?

the article in the herald times re Bo Dietle's involvement includes some pretty good response from the chief of BPD... but I'm concerned about the comments section - especially those from people saying that they've lost respect for CS/RS with their choice of PI...

I have to say I was very disappointed that the family would hire this guy.He is nothing more than a publicity hound that will say anything provocative to sell his next book or get his next talking head gig.I think his Gomer Pyle comment is a perfect example of this.

As far as construction workers, while anything is possible, I just don't see someone actually expecting to find a girl by herself at 4:30AM.

As far as this PI goes...this guy used to be on Don Imus' radio show in NYC all the time, and is very full of himself. I don't know of any missing people he has located, other than perhaps wayward husbands. And generally it is a good idea for a PI to ingratiate themselves with local LE, not "diss" them publicly. What's worse, is this shows that the Spierers are not feeling in synch with LE as it had appeared all these months.

JMO

Bo Dietle's denigrating of local LE could be a ploy to get some of them to actually share info. He paints them as rubes, out of their league... whatever... in the media. Then, assuming there's any differences of opinion about certain POI's, evidence, or other handling of the case among those in local LE and the official party line, some might talk to Bo behind the scenes to share case info and their alternate theories in an attempt to show him they aren't all rubes.

IOW- He could be taking advantage of media and human nature trying to gain an advantage.... or he could just be a blowhard.

Bo Dietle's denigrating of local LE could be a ploy to get some of them to actually share info. He paints them as rubes, out of their league... whatever... in the media. Then, assuming there's any differences of opinion about certain POI's, evidence, or other handling of the case among those in local LE and the official party line, some might talk to Bo behind the scenes to share case info and their alternate theories in an attempt to show him they aren't all rubes.

IOW- He could be taking advantage of media and human nature trying to gain an advantage.... or he could just be a blowhard.

IMO, it is the last part.

Here's another scenario along the "crime of opportunity" lines

Plausible? Thoughts?

My thoughts: that's a very vague theory that has little to do with anything the family or LE has said about the case. Assuming the POI have told the truth does not assume that they don't know what happened, because it does not mean they have told the whole truth.

My thoughts: that's a very vague theory that has little to do with anything the family or LE has said about the case. Assuming the POI have told the truth does not assume that they don't know what happened, because it does not mean they have told the whole truth.

True. I'm just grasping at straws I guess. Wondering if there is any plausible scenario in which they are all truly "innocent."

As far as construction workers, while anything is possible, I just don't see someone actually expecting to find a girl by herself at 4:30AM.

As far as this PI goes...this guy used to be on Don Imus' radio show in NYC all the time, and is very full of himself. I don't know of any missing people he has located, other than perhaps wayward husbands. And generally it is a good idea for a PI to ingratiate themselves with local LE, not "diss" them publicly. What's worse, is this shows that the Spierers are not feeling in synch with LE as it had appeared all these months.

JMO
Many construction company's in their quest to save money will hire out of state/illegal workers.Then allow them to sleep on the site at night.Also with the problem of vandalism most sites in populated area's have some one watching the site at night.So while I agree that someone would not be sitting their waiting for some girl to walk by I do think it is possible someone was on the site at night and saw her walking by.Also I would agree once again with your thoughts on this PI.I have lived in NY for my whole life and listened to this guys lies about his police record and cases he supposedly solved and besides bringing publicity to himself he is going to do nothing positive for this family.Very sad

I couldn't access the article, but read the comments and am shocked by the hostility toward the Spierers. As if any of those people wouldn't do whatever it took if someone they loved was missing. If the BPD are doing their job, they should be able to withstand criticism, and the Spierers' use of another investigative tool (pun intended?) shouldn't be interpreted as their lack of support of Bloomington or LE. They have clearly and repeatedly expressed their support and gratitude for both, after all. Sheesh.

We, New Yorkers, know Bo Dietl, though not know where he was "educated", certainly not IU. As had been suggested in other terms, he is most suited to be center square in "Hollywood Squares", if it still aired. When people feared the law, he was able to obtain some significant confessions, but no longer.

IMHO, LE, everywhere, has lost their edge. The former tactics are now ineffective. Bo may try to replace "good cop, bad cop" with "dumb cop, smart dick" but it is failing before it begins. The Caylee Anthony investigation proved to me that the criminal psyche far surpasses the abilities of law enforcement. Sorry to say, without a human conscience or the sense of community responsibility, justice is a hard victory to come by.

Re: Bo Dietl ... IMO, his antagonism distracts from the case. I hope he comes down a notch and doesn't cause more drama. It takes all types working together ...

Re: WH. Couldn't this location be involved yet it not be a totally random abduction? If IU students hang or even work there in the early hours, maybe someone who knew LS from class (more acquaintance than friend) saw her and offered to walk her home or party with her. If IU has commuter students, maybe that someone had a car so the "party" was off campus?

Probably not... it's pouring rain in Bloomington.. has been all day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member