Sheila and Katherine Lyon-sisters missing since 1975 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woodlawn and Sassie welcome!

I tend to agree, the more I learn about this case the more I lean toward a neighbor or someone known to the girls. If they didn't go into a home, on their way, perhaps they were intercepted somewhere either at the mall or on their way home by someone familiar.

I also agree with Woodlawn that the more similar multiple accounts are the less credible they end up being. Each person experiences a situation, an encounter with their own set of eyes, their own biases, and therefore recounts the experience differently then the next guy even if they witness the same event at the same time.

Not sure what to make of "Jimmy's" account because it was so many days later and it was information that even a 13 year old boy would deem crucial. There was no wrong doing on his part and therefore no reason for him to withhold the information in fear he would be in trouble, unless of course he wasn't supposed to be at the mall that day, but all this is speculation as is this entire case except for the fact that 2 girls left home March 25 and never returned.

It has been stated on here many many times that there is no evidence as that is what the media reports.
I find that very difficult to believe. I believe there is evidence of some sort and it just hasn't fit with anything else about this case yet.

I honestly think that Jimmy's account was made up. If my kids were at an event where 2 kids who were missing had been...I'd be asking my child if he saw them. I have to believe that Jimmy's parents questioned him as did every parent who had a child at that mall when the girls were taken I'm sure. It makes no sense for Jimmy to say nothing about seeing the girls talking to a TRM until days later. I can't think of any logical excuse that he could have for waiting that long to say something. It just seems like he was attention seeking.

<snip>
If the person responsible was someone who was known to the family, that’s where the other coincidence that I mentioned comes into play and that I feel might be part of how these terrible events unfolded. Katherine was turning 11 the following Saturday and Sheila 13 the very next day, Easter Sunday that year. (And though I don’t know the day, IIRC, some of the press reports had their mother celebrating a birthday soon.). While it’s been offered that religious symbolism might be part of the killer choosing who he did when he did, I’m speaking merely of the ruse the predator used to set things up.
This is a very interesting theory and one I hadn't previously considered. This would be an easy lure for a predator.

A neighborhood friend/acquaintance of the family could have easily found out about such a thing, from Sheila having told people ‘Guess what…?’ or from the church newsletter , or being aware of the Lyon’s Easter weekend plans, or what-have-you, and that became the basis for luring her (and perhaps he thought it would just be her) into his house. (‘Easter Sunday and you’ll be 13? Well, that’s a very special birthday then, if you stop by sometime his week, I’ll have a surprise present for you!’ ) Or maybe it involved something regarding a gift for Katherine or their mom or an Easter display. I’m not utterly convinced of this, it could all be merely happenstance, but I do find it curious and perhaps a useful angle to pursue.
I agree a church newsletter could be a source of information for a known predator to gain more information without being noticed gathering said info.

I do take Thrasher’s (and others) points to heart, that there was a huge police investigation, the authorities took it very seriously from the get-go, and that friends, neighbors, etc. were all looked at closely. But it’s not unheard of, even in well-investigated cold cases, for the perpetrator to eventually be found, and it turns out that it was indeed, not a stranger. So I understand the doubts about it being someone known to the family, but I don’t think it can be dismissed out of hand, either.
I think it is highly likely that the predator was not a stranger.

I think the suggestion that has been made about looking for a college-age male who was home for spring break is a good thought, though under my scenario the young man’s family would have to have been away. This was a crime that required being absolutely alone, with no interruptions, over a period of hours.
I am partial to a college aged, or early twenties perpetrator. A visitor with ties to the community. One who could come in and out of town easily with little to no suspicions drawn. Someone familiar enough with the area to be able to know where to go. Where the more desolate places were. Yes this is a neighborhood just outside a big city but there in 1975 there were secluded country, mountain, and park areas just 10-20 minutes away or less. This was a planned abduction. This was not an impulse abduction.
<snip>
Thanks Woodlawn for a very well thought post. Especially this line of thinking. It definitely has me thinking.

My, SharetheLight, comments are in red

Thank you for your welcomes and kind remarks. I feel like I’ve offered most all of my thoughts regarding this case, so I’m not sure how much I’ll be posting in the future, but I do value and appreciate everyone’s contributions to this discussion, and will continue to follow it with interest.

I will say, that though this is probably well-trod ground by the police, if I had some time and found myself in Montgomery County, I’d be interested to see if City Directories from the 70s for Wheaton (Silver Spring?) existed and were available at a public library. I am curious about the names of the residents that lived along the route between the mall and the Lyon home and do wonder if that might lead anywhere provocative.

(For those not familiar, there used to be [?] these things called City Directories, which not only listed residents of a given city by name, but by address [reverse look-up], whether they owned or rented, number of people in the household, and sometimes occupation as well.)

... if I had some time and found myself in Montgomery County, I’d be interested to see if City Directories from the 70s for Wheaton (Silver Spring?) existed and were available at a public library. I am curious about the names of the residents that lived along the route between the mall and the Lyon home and do wonder if that might lead anywhere provocative.....number of people in the household, and sometimes occupation as well.)

Actually, yes, there are such directories available, and I have seen some of them along with phone directories for the time frame.

While doing some research on the Mileski case and the story of the "PG County TRM", I was able to get on-line information regarding land ownership dating back to 1975 and earlier.

Richard,
How difficult would it be to do a plat for the time frame,showing all the neighbors/property owners using a five year time frame,plus and minus from 1975?Who was new to the area or who left?

The girls probably sold candy etc for school projects or delivered newspapers,thus being familiar with many in the area.Being asked into the home as they passed by would not have caused them alarm.

I think it was an older man in the neighborhood who did this.the bodies might be buried in his yard or in the basement Perhaps he had a weekend get away home.Places the police never even considered looking.

Your many posts on this crime are appreciated.

I could easily explain Jimmy waiting 3 days. Fear. As a person that was one of the most awkward, self-conscious 13 year olds around, while I for sure would have shared that information, someone that is very uncomfortable with a situation like this may have just wanted to initially remove themselves from it. Maybe ignoring it will make it go away. This is an event that changes a kids perception of life. "Bad things do happen, and it happened to someone you know by the way." Look at this from your 13 year old eyes. How would you have felt? Reacted? We look at this situation rationally because we're adults. A 13 year old's brain still have 10 years left to develop. Also, he probably was hoping that someone else would come up with the TRM and then he wouldn't have to get involved and could continue on being in denial about evil people.

Also, I hate when people make a big fuss about me or anything in general. Always have always will. For example, my parents don't know I eat hamburgers now. I refused meat for YEARS. If they found out I heat hamburgers they would make a huge fuss about it "what was the big deal all those years? ha ha ha!" and I hate that stuff lol. Anyway, my point being maybe he just didn't want people to make a big fuss about him.

In the end he did the right thing, or realized no one else was coming forward with the TRM info and shared it. 3 days before a witness coming forward is not significant IMO.

ETA - I want to add more explanation that will help you understand my beginning thought as I realize most people grow up and become adults when they are ready. There are rarely pivotal moments that force one to grow up. I have an example of violence forcing me out of my naive sheltered childhood that you all can relate to and understand. 9-11 happened when I was 16. I had heard of bad things happening before but not in my town. It didn't affect me and honestly I didn't really pay attention to the news at all. At that time there was no 24 hour news and the internet was still not a HUGE deal that it is today. I grew up in a middle class Chicago suburb where everyone was the same demographic and no crime ever happened. 9-11 forced me into knowing fear and evil existed and it made me grow up in a way, in one day. It took away my childhood innocence. When violence affects you (even if you personally don't see it, you still feel it) it changes you when you're a teenager and it is extremely scary. You're not an adult yet with fully rational thinking, but your brain is more developed than someone age 10 or younger. You are more aware of what life is. I hope that makes sense.

Richard,
How difficult would it be to do a plat for the time frame,showing all the neighbors/property owners using a five year time frame,plus and minus from 1975?Who was new to the area or who left?....

The records which I have seen for Montgomery County, specifically the Kensington area, were in the form of printed, published listings; that is the phone directory, and a few other similar type books. Constructing a sort of "snapshot in time" platt from those books would involve a lot of line-by-line, time consuming work. A moving target like five years either side of the line, would be even harder.

The Land records that I refered to for Prince Georges (MD) County were on-line, and so finding all listings for a given platt of roads would be faster. I recall getting a list of all the people who owned property on a particular street during one search. Montgomery County MIGHT have a similar source of information on-line.

Another source to check out might be records of the electricity company, or of city water company, or of the fire department, or land tax office which might have records specifically geared to a platt map or grid.

Assuming you could locate such records, it would probably involve a good deal of reading and note taking, because information from the 1970's did not exist in easily sorted computer files like it does today.

I always get a charge out of the TV shows in which a detective calls the computer nerd with some oddball information, and the nerd fires back photos, maps, and all sorts of information about potential suspects in a matter of seconds.

I could easily explain Jimmy waiting 3 days. Fear. ...
...maybe he just didn't want people to make a big fuss about him.

In the end he did the right thing, or realized no one else was coming forward with the TRM info and shared it. 3 days before a witness coming forward is not significant IMO. quote]

You make some good points regarding adolescents and their reactions to events and to the world around them.

In regard to "Jimmy" delaying for three days before reporting his sighting of the Lyon girls and the Tape Recorder Man I have printed below an excerpt from the interview that he gave to Mary Ann Kuhn of the Washington Star (note this is the same reporter who interviewed Mrs. Lyon that same week).

This is about as close as I have come to an origional source document on the TRM incident. Certainly the police would have much more detailed statements and notes in their files, but this is the story as "Jimmy" (not his real name, just one assigned by police) told it.

Note that news of the girls disappearance was not in the TV news until the day after they disappeared - that is Wednesday 26 March 1975. It is stated by Jimmy's mother that when they first heard the news of the girls being missing, Jimmy immediately told her that he had seen the girls at the mall the day they went missing.

According to his mother, it was two days later, Friday the 28th, that he mentioned the part about seeing them with the Tape Recorder Man. Jimmy did not seem to realize the significance of his information and actually thought that TRM was a reporter. It was the mother's idea to bring him to police that same afternoon.

Note that the article mentions that Jimmy spent two and a half hours with police and that they also questioned his friend who verified the story.

Here is that excerpt and a link to the entire article...

-----------------------------------------
Excerpt from:
Eyewitness: Last Time the Lyon Girls Were Seen
Thursday, April 3, 1975
By Mary Ann Kuhn and Rebecca Leet
Washington Star Staff Writers

"It was about 1 or 2 o'clock." Jimmy related. "I was out with a friend. We were down near ... um ... Peoples (Drug Store) and the Orange Bowl (pizza carryout) and we saw the two girls talking to a man with a tape recorder."

"I heard the man ask one question: ' Are any of you two involved in sports?'"

"And then ... um ... 30 seconds later I looked back. He was walking away toward Wards (Montgomery Ward) and the girls were walking the other way toward the fountain."

Jimmy stopped talking. Up to then, the words had tumbled out. He sat there and crossed his hands over his maroon lettered football jersey.
His parents didn't say anything.

His mother sat on the sofa with an untouched glass of red wine on the next table while her husband sat across the room with the newspaper opened across his folded legs. Jimmy was asked to give more details about what he had seen.

He smiled when he told how he and his friend had joked about going over to the man and asking him to interview them so they could get on television.

"I said to my friend, 'Hey, look over there. I wonder what's going on. It looks like a reporter.' We thought he was some kind of a reporter," Jimmy explained. "We were joking around that maybe we should go over there and get him to interview us."

"The man was holding a microphone in his hand between the girls, and asking questions. He had a tan briefcase on the ground. It was one of those hard ones that sat up." the boy said, adding that the tape recorder was sitting next to the man, out of the briefcase.

The man was sitting on the ledge next to an island of (illegible word - bushes?) in the middle of the plaza, Jimmy said. People sit on the ledge to rest during their shopping sprees or to eat a snack or pizza from the carryout.

Jimmy said he had never seen the man before or since. He said the man was well dressed in a brown suit.

Jimmy, who lives several blocks from the Lyons said he and his friend rode their bikes up to the plaza that day "to see friends. We just went up there to ride around. We had nothing else to do so we decided to go up there and look around."

Jimmy's mother said that right after the news came out that the Lyon girls were missing, her son told her he had seen them at the plaza. But it wasn't until Friday that he mentioned anything about the man with a tape recorder, she said.

"On Friday, he said that the girls were talking to a reporter. I said, 'How do you know he was a reporter?' He said because he had a microphone. I told him that could have been anybody and notified police."

At the police station on Friday, Jimmy said, the police "had me look through two files of mug shots."

(The beginning of the next sentence seems to have been left out of the printed article)

... in a while, a police officer would ask me if everything was all right (with the sketch). I'd tell them what was right and what was wrong." Jimmy said he thought the sketch was a good likeness. His mother said he was at the police station 2 1/2 hours that day.

Jimmy's friend who was with him the day the Lyon girls were seen with the man at the plaza verified virtually everything Jimmy said except that he said he did not hear any of the conversation between the man and the girls.

"I hope they find them." Jimmy said. ...

See the following thread in Websleuths for entire article:
News Reports, Articles, and Links on the Lyon Sisters Case Post number 4

LINK:

News Reports, Articles, and Links on the Lyon Sisters Case - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I notice that both girls had birthdays coming up just before they vanished.

It reminded me of the " Alphabet Murders " in Rochester NY between 1971 and 1973. This involved the abduction,rape, and murder of 3 young girls, Carmen Colon, Wanda Walkowicz, and Michelle Maenza. A lot of coincidences in these killings : all 3 girls had same first and last initials, and their bodies were found in towns beginning with the initial of their respective last names. They were all in the 10 to 11 age range. No one was ever arrested or charged with these murders.

I'm comparing these murders to the Lyon sisters because :

1. Michelle Maenza was abducted 2 days before her 11th birthday.

2. Wanda Walkowicz was abducted 2 days before the birthday of her younger sister.The two girls were very close, and went everywhere together.

3. All 3 girls were abducted when they were on their way home, in the mid to late afternoon.

4. All of the girls, including,of course, the Lyon sisters, were Catholic.

5. All of the girls were taken from areas with many people nearby.Yet no one saw them being abducted. It was believed that none of the girls would get in a car with a stranger.

There was quite a lot of speculation that someone in the Church might have been involved.

Yes, I realize that the coincidences are fragile.... but, does anyone know where the girls attended church ( assuming that they did so ), and had either sister been confirmed ? Thanks...

I found this quote from Richard and hope it helps:)

I don't want to bring suspicion on any church or clergy, but from the angle that a child might tend to trust someone dressed as a priest,you bring up a good point. The Lyon girls were Catholic and attended Mass regularly. They probably had a respect and trust for someone that appeared to be a priest.

I notice that both girls had birthdays coming up just before they vanished.

It reminded me of the " Alphabet Murders " in Rochester NY between 1971 and 1973. This involved the abduction,rape, and murder of 3 young girls, Carmen Colon, Wanda Walkowicz, and Michelle Maenza. A lot of coincidences in these killings : all 3 girls had same first and last initials, and their bodies were found in towns beginning with the initial of their respective last names. They were all in the 10 to 11 age range. No one was ever arrested or charged with these murders.

I'm comparing these murders to the Lyon sisters because :

1. Michelle Maenza was abducted 2 days before her 11th birthday.

2. Wanda Walkowicz was abducted 2 days before the birthday of her younger sister.The two girls were very close, and went everywhere together.

3. All 3 girls were abducted when they were on their way home, in the mid to late afternoon.

4. All of the girls, including,of course, the Lyon sisters, were Catholic.

5. All of the girls were taken from areas with many people nearby.Yet no one saw them being abducted. It was believed that none of the girls would get in a car with a stranger.

There was quite a lot of speculation that someone in the Church might have been involved.

Yes, I realize that the coincidences are fragile.... but, does anyone know where the girls attended church ( assuming that they did so ), and had either sister been confirmed ? Thanks...

The Lyon girls were Catholic and attended Mass at a church near their home. It is possible that a church bulletin or newsletter might have included birthday announcements, but I do not know if that was the case here.

It is an interesting possibility, and one possible suspect mentioned in these threads was one Ellwood Leroy Leuschner who was arrested in Salisbury, MD in November 1977 for the murder of two 9 year old boys in separate incidents.

Leushcner had been released from a California prison in early 1974 on parole. He had been convicted previously for rape. His last conviction was for having dressed as a priest and luring a 12 year old girl into a church where he raped her.

About "Jimmy"..... I can understand where you're coming from in regards to a child not coming forward with info right away due to fear. However, I don't believe that happened here. This is what "Jimmy" had to say in his interview for the paper.

He smiled when he told how he and his friend had joked about going over to the man and asking him to interview them so they could get on television.

"I said to my friend, 'Hey, look over there. I wonder what's going on. It looks like a reporter.' We thought he was some kind of a reporter," Jimmy explained. "We were joking around that maybe we should go over there and get him to interview us."

"Jimmy" was smiling when he gave this account. He said that he and his friend joked about asking the guy to interview them. That doesn't sound like fear to me. A grown man recording 2 young girls...very odd behavior....and yet only "Jimmy" and his friend saw this happen...and waited 3 days to tell anyone. I think "Jimmy" and his friend wanted their 10 minutes of fame and got it.

The Lyon girls were Catholic and attended Mass at a church near their home. It is possible that a church bulletin or newsletter might have included birthday announcements, but I do not know if that was the case here.

It is an interesting possibility, and one possible suspect mentioned in these threads was one Ellwood Leroy Leuschner who was arrested in Salisbury, MD in November 1977 for the murder of two 9 year old boys in separate incidents.

Leushcner had been released from a California prison in early 1974 on parole. He had been convicted previously for rape. His last conviction was for having dressed as a priest and luring a 12 year old girl into a church where he raped her.

I believe that children's birthdays would be part of the parish records. I think a child's birthday is on their baptismal record, and it would have been available to parish clerical staff, as well as priests. MOO

I'm not into denigrating any religion. But, it is a fact that some priests were pedophiles. And some pedophiles do abduct and then murder the children they abuse. And it is also a fact that some pedophile priests were moved from one diocese and parish to another,often in a different state.

I would be very interested to know if any church official or clergy moved from the Rochester diocese to the Lyon's parish...MOO

I found this quote from Richard and hope it helps:)

I don't want to bring suspicion on any church or clergy, but from the angle that a child might tend to trust someone dressed as a priest,you bring up a good point. The Lyon girls were Catholic and attended Mass regularly. They probably had a respect and trust for someone that appeared to be a priest.

I'm sure the girls had enough trust to accept a ride...MOO

...one possible suspect mentioned in these threads was one Ellwood Leroy Leuschner who was arrested in Salisbury, MD in November 1977 for the murder of two 9 year old boys in separate incidents.

Here is a post which I placed in the Suspects and Persons of Interest thread a few years back (it is post number 3, page 1 of that topic). I reprint it here for the purpose of discussion.

----------------------

Ellwood Leroy LEUSCHNER

On 1 November 1977, a paroled California rapist was arrested in Salisbury, Maryland by Maryland State Police on the charges of kidnapping, raping, and murdering a 9 year old boy. The boy was abducted from his trailer park and buried on a farm ten miles away. The suspect, was one Ellwood Leroy LEUSCHNER, age 45. He was a tall, gaunt, white man who worked as a general laborer at the Campbell Soup Plant in Salisbury.

Leuschner had been first convicted of rape in 1953. He was sent to a California prison in 1960, released in the mid 60's and then convicted and sentenced again for a subsequent forgery and for the rape of a 12 year old girl. In that incident, he dressed in priest's clothing and asked the little girl to help him bring some packages into a church. When he got her in the church, he raped her.

He was paroled in 1974, and some time after that (exact date not known), he vilolated his parole and left California. He claimed to have lived in Salisbury for three years when captured in 1977. The Maryland State Police called California Corrections Office in 1977 to try to confirm this, but California officials stated that he had left California in March 1976 to avoid another rape charge there.

Leuschner was also suspected of the kidnap and murder of two other young boys, in separate incidents in July 1977. Police ruled him out as a suspect in one, but believed that he committed the other and he was charged with that murder as well.

Leuschner drove a blue or green Camaro (model year not known) in 1977, and it was that car which had been seen at the abduction sites, and at the burial sites that connected him with the abductions and murders. Just prior to his last murder, he had attempted another abduction, but the child escaped and gave a description of him and his car.

Many police departments became interested in him after his capture, but when the California Corrections officials said that he had only been out of California since March 1976, he was "ruled out" of many open investigations. He may have been out of California sometime before he was reported missing and the March 1976 date might only be when the California parole violation warrant was issued.

It would be interesting to know where he went and what his time schedule was between his release from prison in California and his eventual capture in Maryland. That might allow investigators to look into other unsolved murders or abductions.

Leuschner's known victims were male and female children ages 9 to 12, his manner of approach and deception, and his way of burying the bodies in remote areas, the fact that he was a serial offender and had transportation - all would make him a prime suspect in some of the unsolved murders and missing child cases of 1974 thru 1977.

Leuschner was a serial rapist and murderer. It would seem that for him to have accellerated to the point of killing two boys in one month, he may well have killed others between 1974 and his November 1977 capture. In a very short time frame of five months from March to July 1975, and within a very close radius, two girls from Maryland (the Lyon Sisters), two boys from New Jersey and three girls from Pennsylvania all disappeared. One incident per month, each in a different police jurisdiction. All of those sites were within driving distance from Salisbury, Maryland.

Leuschner spent the rest of his life in the Maryland Prison system, evidently becoming a writer for a prison newsletter before his death.

About "Jimmy"..... I can understand where you're coming from in regards to a child not coming forward with info right away due to fear. However, I don't believe that happened here. This is what "Jimmy" had to say in his interview for the paper.

he gave this account. He said that he and his friend joked about asking the guy to interview them. That doesn't sound like fear to me. A grown man recording 2 young girls...very odd behavior....and yet only "Jimmy" and his friend saw this happen...and waited 3 days to tell anyone. I think "Jimmy" and his friend wanted their 10 minutes of fame and got it.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Not fear of the man, fear of being tied to the investigation, fear of how his parents or community would react, fear of being fussed over, etc. Note he didn't use his real name.

There has been speculation regarding "Jimmy" in regard to his connection and motivation in the Lyon case. Some conclusions have been drawn from specific quotes that he made, from what his mother said, and what newspaper reporters said in their telling of the story.

Still other conclusions have been drawn through speculation.

Here are some examples:

"Jimmy" himself stated to television cameras and to two Washington Star reporters:

The reporters paraphrase Jimmy's mother as saying:

Jimmy's mother said that right after the news came out that the Lyon girls were missing, her son told her he had seen them at the plaza. But it wasn't until Friday that he mentioned anything about the man with a tape recorder, she said.

His mother was then specifically quoted:

"On Friday, he said that the girls were talking to a reporter. I said, 'How do you know he was a reporter?' He said because he had a microphone. I told him that could have been anybody and notified police."

The Reporters Kuhn and Leek made the following observation and conclusion based on the above quotations:

"He smiled when he told how he and his friend had joked about going over to the man and asking him to interview them so they could get on television."

In other words, they may have seen him smile, but CONCLUDED that he wanted to some how get on television by approaching the Tape Recorder Man - a conclusion not supported by what "Jimmy" actually said. Neither "Jimmy" nor his mother said anything about being on television. Also, "Jimmy" and his friend NEVER said anything about seeing any television cameras in the area at the time of the TRM sighting. TV cameras were very large in 1975 and would have been pretty hard to miss.

Note that many other newspaper stories picked up on the Washington Star and the TV interview and added their own spin to the story which took on a life of its own the further it got from the origional source.

As to speculation that "Jimmy" was just making his statements for the fame of being interviewed by police or being on Television; note that it was his MOTHER who recognized the importance of the bit of information regarding the Tape Recorder Man - not "Jimmy". It was his mother who called the police on Friday 28 March 1975 immediately after hearing about TRM.

Note that this was the ONLY time that "Jimmy" or his mother ever gave an interview. So it is not likely that they were basking in the glory of being on TV or of being interviewed by press.

It was probably at the mother's insistance that her son's real name NOT be used. And wouldn't that have made sense? After all, two young girls had just gone missing and her son was now a material witness.

It was Montgomery County Police who assigned the name "Jimmy" to the boy and made it clear from the start that this was "not his real name". It was probably done so that press accounts could be more clear regarding who said what about the Tape Recorder Man clue. MCP issued a press release using the name "Jimmy" before the TV and Washington Star reporters did their interviews.

Note also, that this was the ONLY time in this case where MCP assigned a code name to any witness. There were several other eye witnesses under the age of 18 who were NOT named by police. And only one other witness under 18 was named by the press - but NOT by the police. I believe that this is consistant with what was then standard police policy regarding minors.

Also, in regard to any delay in "Jimmy" coming forward with his story:

Note that the news media did not begin reporting on the disappearance of Sheila and Kate Lyon until late afternoon, Wednesday the 26th of March 1975. It is not known whether "Jimmy" and his family saw those first Wednesday evening stories, or if they did not see them until Thursday the 27th.

It is clearly stated by Jimmy's mother that when they first learned of the girls being missing, Jimmy stated that he had seen the girls at Wheaton Plaza, and that it was on Friday that he mentioned the Tape Recorder Man, but that obviously Jimmy did not realize TRM's importance.

This means that there may have been a delay of a day (or a day and a half at most) between his initial statement that he saw the girls and his elabroation of that sighting where he stated that they were talking to a man with a tape recorder and microphone.

Whereas, "Jimmy" telling his mother simply that he (along with possibly a few hundred other people) had SEEN the girls on the 25th at Wheaton Plaza, may have been of interest to his mother, his subsequent report of seeing the girls talking to a strange man with a tape recorder raised her suspicions to the point of immediately contacting police.

I do not think that either "Jimmy" or his mother had any thought of Television fame and glory at any time. They specifically refrained from giving their real name and address, and they never gave any more interviews.

Great post Richard.

Additionally the MCP Joe Mudano wrote me an e-mail stating: The MCPD have interviewed and re-interviewed "Jimmy" and his friend and others time and again over the years and their stories have been consistent.

Furthermore, Mudano stated that for a variety of reasons the sketches of TRM that were published in the Washington Post and elsewhere would be useless in a court of law, and may be less then useful for other reasons. That said, it was VERY likely that TRM was there at the Wheaton Plaza on March 25, 1975 for a brief period of time and in that short time span, VERY likely interviewed the Lyon girls just as Jimmy and his friend stated to the police at that time.

Also, once "Jimmy" came forward, tens, if not hundred of independent phone calls came forward from the public about others who witnessed and had interaction with TRM prior to March 25, 1975. Those who saw and encountered described details about TRM that gave police the profile of a person of interest who was harassing, menacing, trying to tape record girls/women (Jeb on this thread and other Lyon sisters threads described TRM as "a baby snatcher), but TRM WAS reported by other corroborating witnesses as NOT trolling. In other words, there were no reported incidents of TRM as having tried to lure any girls or women away from any area malls.

So the hypothesis that "Jimmy" lied would mean that a neighborhood 13 year old and his friend, in the frantic hours and days immediately following the shock and trauma the DC community was experiencing colluded to lie to the public, victims' family, their own parents, the police for very little known gain. Thirty six years later the notion of this testimony as being a lie has not been in any way supported or verified or gained traction in any way, in fact just the opposite. Time has proven its veracity.

Also "Jimmy" would have had to of seen TRM at a previous moment prior to March 25, 1975 which was possible because subsequent corroborations from countless other girls, women and mothers verified his sightings. But to have done this would have been to risk his own criminal involvement in the case because that would be to assume "Jimmy' and his friend attempted to super-impose TRM into one of the last moments in which the girls were seen on a day they were VERY likely kidnapped. And again, for no known reason.

Additionally, others on this web thread have recently speculated that the witnessed reports of the girls gagged and bound in a vehicle on April 6, 1975 in Manassass VA may be false. Again, the police verified that over time the 2 witnesses who saw the girls in that car have remained highly consistent in their testimony.

One of those witnesses posted many powerful, compelling and meaningful statements on another Websleuth thread and I have since had contact with him. His energy, time and efforts in his life to seek the perpetrator(s) of these crimes has been extra-ordinary.

He is a father and grandfather and still works full-time so the idea that such a dedicated,committed effort comes from anything other then a conscience to make a difference to a victim's family does not hold water.

VERY likely the girls were interviewed by TRM a few short hours before they were VERY likely kidnapped. VERY likely they almost made it home that day on the back streets of their very own Kensington neighborhood. Likely the TRM was the kidnapper. VERY likely he kept them alive for days. VERY likely they were seen for the last time April 6. 1975 gagged and bound in the back seat of a car in Mannassass at a traffic light.

Body Found Year Ago Identified as Youth, 17
By Megan RosenfeldWashington Post Staff Writer The Washington Post (1974-Current file); Feb 28, 1976; ProQuest Historical Newspapers The Washington Post (1877 - 1994) pg. B3

A body pulled out of a catfish pond in a fishnet nearly a year ago has been identified as that of 17 year old Farnum Lloyd Burton Fairfax Police reported.

The boy was identified after an aunt recognized a composite picture in a local paper, the Alexandria Gazette, and called the boys mother in Triangle, VA.

Burton was never reported missing, apparently because his parents, who live apart, each thought he was living with the other, police said.

Burton had been shot six times in different parts of his body then wrapped in chains from the waist down and rolled in a blanket before being dropped in the privately owned pond off Gunston road in a wooded area of Fairfax, police said.

After police were unable to identify him, he was buried through an agency of county government. Whether or not the body will be re-interred was unknown yesterday, as his father Rev. Michael Burton of 4011 14th Street, NW is ill in a district hospital.

Police said that young Burton spent most of his time with his father in Washington, attending MacFarland Junior HS before he dropped out in June of 74. In October of that year he moved to Triangle to live with his mother, but police said in the months preceding his death he moved around living with relatives in Virginia. He was last seen in February, police have no suspects in the killing. The youth was not known to have held any jobs. Positive identification was confirmed by dental x-rays said investigator Ronald E Yeager of the Fairfax police.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993