If there is a hung jury do you think the prosecutors will retry the case?

In the case of a hung jury, do you think prosecutors will retry the case?

• Yes

Votes: 223 97.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 2.2%

• Total voters
Absofreakinlutley.

If, by some freak chance, she is not found guilty of murder, she has all the check charges (as other posters have already pointed out) which will ceratinly mean jail time. IMO, though, JUSTICE will be SERVED for Caylee in the form of a murder conviction.

In my opinion, the chance of a hung jury disappeared when the body was identified.

I can't think of one reason at present how the case or any other charges could be dropped. If a mistrial should occur, Yes, I believe she will be retried and found guilty by a jury of her peers ( with some sense).
If this happens, all it means is that Casey has to sit through two trials, IMO.

The reality is we don't know if they would retry it if we don't know what the issues are. If they have good evidence and present a strong case and the jury is hung, they will interview the jurors see what the problem was and re-try. if their case is not strong and the vote isn't even close, they will have to seriously consider that they do not have the goods and not retry.
What I mean is it is, imo, impossible to answer this question until we see their CIC.

It's my understanding that a re-trial favors the prosecution because the defense has already "tipped its hand" and displayed its strategy, witnesses, etc. during the first trial. If that's correct, then I feel certain the prosecution would want to retry the case.

When there is a hung jury, does the jury in the second trial know this is a retrial? do they know the issues from the first time?

From cases I've seen on TV the second jury usually looks like they are completely unaware this is the 2nd time through. Or are they just supposed to treat the trial as if it was happening for the first time? Where do you find 12 or 15 people who know nothing or almost nothing about a court case that has already played out? Especially when it is a case of this magnitude?

Absofreakinlutley.

If, by some freak chance, she is not found guilty of murder, she has all the check charges (as other posters have already pointed out) which will ceratinly mean jail time. IMO, though, JUSTICE will be SERVED for Caylee in the form of a murder conviction.

I'm counting on the finance trial being a moot point. Life w/o parole for murder. When this happens will they just settle the money charges? LW/OP plus 16 years, why spend the money?

I'm not going to vote right now...think it's too soon, particularly because there are so many questions I have about how this trial is going to go.

I know we have some legal-eagles on here so I'm going to ask those questions here:

Wouldn't it be better to split the charges out and have more than one trial due to the risk of a mistrial on the murder charge? For instance, I think the prosecution has an open/shut case on the financial crimes and I think they have a shoe-in on the lying to LE charges. I really think they should have three separate trials: financial crimes, false statements to LE, murder and child abuse charges.

Do the legal people here think this might happen? I'm crossing my fingers it will because I think the greatest risk of mistrial comes with the trial in which the murder charge will be considered.

I voted yes. I just believe Florida already has invested so much in this case, they will not give up easily. I guess an evenly split jury would be cause to reconsider, but that just won't happen. Thinking positive thoughts, 12-0 Guilty! No reconsideration needed!

I'm not going to vote right now...think it's too soon, particularly because there are so many questions I have about how this trial is going to go.

I know we have some legal-eagles on here so I'm going to ask those questions here:

Wouldn't it be better to split the charges out and have more than one trial due to the risk of a mistrial on the murder charge? For instance, I think the prosecution has an open/shut case on the financial crimes and I think they have a shoe-in on the lying to LE charges. I really think they should have three separate trials: financial crimes, false statements to LE, murder and child abuse charges.

Do the legal people here think this might happen? I'm crossing my fingers it will because I think the greatest risk of mistrial comes with the trial in which the murder charge will be considered.

The financial crimes are separate from the murder and false info to LE charges. They are entirely different cases. These charges will not be presented at the murder trial. However, the murder, lying to LE and child abuse charges stemmed from one event, so they will be all presented to a jury in one trial. And, wasn't the child abuse charge dropped? I'm off to check...

ETA: Huh. I thought that I read that the child abuse charges had been dropped, but they are still listed on the clerk's site.

I'm counting on the finance trial being a moot point. Life w/o parole for murder. When this happens will they just settle the money charges? LW/OP plus 16 years, why spend the money?

I really think that it'll reach a plea before trial at that point.

nothing to worry about

the evidence at trial will be overwhelming

its over

no need for another bite at the apple

KC will be in prison for a long time

I think absolutely - LE doesn't like being lied to, the SA doesn't like wasting its resources on frivolous motions, judges don't like lawyers not playing by the rules...

If the premeditated murder doesn't swing, I think they'll go for felony murder.

I really don't think there is any way she will walk free-she will be in jail for something, even if its manslaughter. You can't just lose your child!

As I remember it
The original charges on which she was held (when Padilla bailed her out & all that revolving door saga) were child neglect charges. After she was indicted, those charges were dismissed, as they presumed a "living Caylee" and she was now picked up & held again on the murder charges.

The lying, agg. abuse, and murder, are all arising out of a series of related incidents and are included in the indictments.

The financial stuff is in a "holding pattern" for use at a later date, depending on how the circumstances of her legal status might change.

Old Article on the indictments:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/orl-a1casey1508oct15,0,4870531.story

Humble-Opinion:wolf2:

I voted that she'll be retried because it's not like they'd be throwing good money after bad or the public would be outraged.

As I remember it
The original charges on which she was held (when Padilla bailed her out & all that revolving door saga) were child neglect charges. After she was indicted, those charges were dismissed, as they presumed a "living Caylee" and she was now picked up & held again on the murder charges.

The lying, agg. abuse, and murder, are all arising out of a series of related incidents and are included in the indictments.

The financial stuff is in a "holding pattern" for use at a later date, depending on how the circumstances of her legal status might change.

Old Article on the indictments:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/orl-a1casey1508oct15,0,4870531.story

Humble-Opinion:wolf2:

I voted that she'll be retried because it's not like they'd be throwing good money after bad or the public would be outraged.

Ahh, that's what it was. Thank you for refreshing my memory!

Evidence is overwhelming. Jury will not hang. She should try and cop a plea and WISH that prosecution puts it on the table, which I highly doubt they will do.

Bye-Bye Ms. Casey! :clap:

I've not posted this publicly... but I'm terrified of the possibility of a hung jury, or a mistrial.

I am not worried in the least about a hung jury.

"Didn't report her child missing until 31 days later when confronted by Mother and LE."

This says it all and it won't get any better for KC; it is all downhill from there.

For anyone that is interested, there may be a serial killer on the loose in Jennings, LA. 7 victims, all young women, in 3 years. They could use some help. See the forum.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back