GUILTY IN - Christian Choate, 13, starved, beaten to death, Gary, April 2009

Sources say Christian was being home-schooled at the time he disappeared.

http://www.wgntv.com/wgntv-gary-charges-may7,0,2724663.story

So many questions in this case. I don't know much about home schooling, however with what we know were excessive absenses prior to being pulled/transfered from school in March 2005 was Christian ever working with the school social worker?

What kind of follow up occurs with home schooling?
If a child is being home schooled and is suddenly no longer participating in any kind of state approved (I think there is some kind of state approved schools or something along those lines) what kind of follow up is required to ensure the child is still being educated?

I'm thinking along the lines of Christians case and cases similiar to his. Child has problems while in school - either due to abuse, neglect and parent pulls child from school under the guise of home schooling to avoid detection of abuse or neglect. Is there any kind of reporting with children suddenly not participating in home schooling programs?

Cubby if you look at the NWITimes article that I posted, it gives a good overview about Christians school enrollment and his switch to home school. And what the oversight is with home school, which in that state is virtually none.

I just did a check and I'm not seeing any additional charges at this point. Anyone else see anything?

I have been home schooling for 23 years in Indiana. Yes, we have a quite hands-off law. 99.9% of us do a good job, are diligent and have our children's best interest at heart.

Sadly, homeschooling laws are occasionally 'used' to cover up educational neglect, physical neglect and rarely abuse. Legitimate home schoolers are horrified by this.

As yet no one has been charged in the murder. Media said yesterday that more charges were expected on Sat. but I just checked and there aren't any new articles about new charges.

aww that poor little babe .. im going to stick to my guns . the abusers should die the same way they made their victims die.. and all child abusers should get death

311943140-10112728.jpg

Riley Lowell Choate (left), 39, and Kimberly Leona Kubina (center), are accused of keeping Christian Choate (right) in a dog cage with seven locks for more than a year before he died in April of 2009. His body was unearthered from a shallow grave in Gary last week. (Lake County Sheriff photos)

Murder charges have been filed against the father and stepmother of a 13-year-old boy who died two years ago but whose body was unearthered from a shallow grave in Gary just last week.

Riley Lowell Choate, 39, and Kimberly Leona Kubina, 45, are accused of keeping Christian Choate in a dog cage with seven locks for more than a year before he died in April of 2009. They are both charged with murder, battery, neglect and criminal confinement.

An affidavit filed with the charges details how the boy was regularly abused and how the couple forced his older sister, 15 at the time, to feed him, take him to the bathroom and see that he did exercises.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ied-locked-in-a-cage-20110510,0,6201053.story

Cage allegedly used to confine boy bought for $15

DeMotte | L.W (changed to initials) had no idea the dog cage she sold to her neighbor more than three years ago could have been used to confine a boy.

When she read a story Monday night about the cage Christian Choate had been locked in for more than a year, her heart sank. She knew it was the cage she once owned that contained her Alaskan malamute puppy.

She sold to cage to Choate's stepmother, Kimberly Choate, for $15.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/gary/article_51094116-3b9c-54f8-82f0-3b97a0d563c8.html

I am so sorry this happened to you Christian.... :( What horrible people! I just want to smack that smile off K.K. face!

Wonder how THEY will like the cages they're going to spend the rest of their lives in?

Oh my goodness!
How SICK!!!!!

Look who are in cages now POSs!!!!

I don't know if anyone read the full Chicago Trib article I posted above. (Chicago Trib usually goes pay to view usually within a week or two-so not sure how long the link will be valid)

His sister trying to revive him with a mattress pump the following day - that did it for me.

The poor sister, trying the matress pump to revive him unsuccessfully- how horrible. She's only 17 now, her life will no doubt be a troubled one. I hope she can get some help to address what these people made her do. I just don't get why these people keep the kids. Lately, these kids kept in cages, parents who want nothing to do with them, why not just give them up for adoption? I guess I will never get it, that's probably a good thing.

It would seem Christian was the scapegoat. Unless there is abuse towards the then 15 year old daughter that we are unaware of (aside from the obvious psychological abuse of being forced to be her brothers keeper and participate in his abuse).

I hope this young lady is getting some serious counseling. I cannot imagine what living through this would do to a developing psyche.

It would seem Christian was the scapegoat. Unless there is abuse towards the then 15 year old daughter that we are unaware of (aside from the obvious psychological abuse of being forced to be her brothers keeper and participate in his abuse).

I hope this young lady is getting some serious counseling. I cannot imagine what living through this would do to a developing psyche.

I wondered about that too. If any of the other children in the home were abused. We haven't seen anything in the media indicating RC and KK had other children between them, either theirs together or hers from a previous relationship, though early MSM articles indicate neighbors witness family parties with up to 10 children attending or living in the trailor.

I've also wondered if KK's mother who resided in the trailor across the street where Christian was buried was also a victim of abuse. I wonder what her story is or was....

I bet by the end of it, there will be more charges to others that knew what horrific things this boy endured and frankly I think the sister should face charges as well.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/gary/article_d2463064-39c7-5e79-a522-7e02b542fb28.html

Sniped from article:

"Two witnesses allege Christina hit her brother with a metal pole. The girl denies striking her brother with anything other than her hands. She said she would beat him if he got mouthy with her or if she was instructed to do so by her father or stepmother."

""I love my brother, don't get me wrong," she said. "But he had problems."

"On a night Riley Choate went to work, the girl alleges her father and Kimberly told her to chain Christian to a bed frame leaning against a dresser. Christina admitted to chaining Christian's hands and feet to the 6-foot bed frame while striking him and choking him until he turned blue, according to the affidavit. She later denied choking him."

"The next morning, while in the trailer with Kimberly and Kimberly's sister, Belinda Bradburn, and a cousin, Christina tried to feed Christian some cold cereal, she told authorities. He refused to eat so she slapped him across the face twice and put him back into the cage, eventually noticing he was not breathing, she said."

A lot more details at the link. This story truly breaks my heart. This boy was tortured!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back