Interstate 45 shut down both directions-Bus Fire

deandaniellws said:
They just reported from Baytown....where I live, that if it hits a strong 4 or 5 that the residents might be exposed to a chemical cloud. Mean while...back at the camp, the mayor of Houston was again saying....."We told you this was going to happen if you waited too long to evacuate." We were told to make plans for evacuation many days ago. Why didn't some listen? :( Now, they are told to not get on the road because they can't make it out in time. I had posted earlier that some didn't want to leave due to jobs not approving missing work for the evacuation. The airport was announcing they were slower loading because many employees didn't show up for work. Now those people will come home to damaged, if not a total loss of their homes, without jobs to return to. This is very sad. They said storm surge expected in Baytown, if Rita continues on current path are 8-18 feet high. I am sad. Insurance doesn't buy back what you have collected over a life time. Insurance doesn't buy back my family. :(
Pam, how many feet is your home above the mean tide line??

WFAA TV in Dallas reports the buslines had many infractions and the driver was an illegal with a Mexico Dr. Lisence...

www.wfaa.com

for details

Another inexcusable loss of lives due to negligence or incompetence.

I'm surprised Sunrise Senior Living would contract with a bad busline or illegal driver. Maybe that's all they could find at the last minute? Or was it trying to save money, or negligence?

Federal investigators sought clues Saturday in the burned-out remnants of a bus that exploded in a traffic jam and killed 24 elderly evacuees fleeing Hurricane Rita.

The remains of the charter bus would be picked through for evidence, then National Transportation Safety Board investigators would try to piece together what led to the tragedy, said Keith Holloway, public affairs officer for the NTSB.
http://www.click2houston.com/news/5016463/detail.html

Hi Deandaniellews,

I saw a news reporter broadcasting from Baytown and immediately thought about you! ;} She said she had been there for the duration and it looked mighty nasty there.

I assume you left and are not back home yet. I'll be anxious to read what you have to say about what happened to Baytown and your home. You are 45 miles west of the area that was hit so hard. Hope everything is OK.

And if you can find out please what the lady on the beach there did with her 20 horses, I'll thank you ahead of time. LOL

Scandi

The driver of the bus that caught fire while carrying elderly patients fleeing Hurricane Rita has been charged with criminal negligent homicide in the deaths of 23 passengers, a spokesman for the Dallas County Sheriff's Department said Monday.

The charges against Juan Robles Gutierrez, a 37-year-old Mexican national, were forwarded to District Attorney Bill Hill, Sgt. Don Peritz said.

Robles was taken into federal custody on an immigration violation five days after the Sept. 23 explosion near Dallas.

Peritz would not give specific examples of illegal actions by Robles, saying details would be released if he is indicted.

"The bus is under his care, custody and control and so is every one on board," he said. "Safe transportation from the nursing home to the final destination is his responsibility. Based on the end result, he failed in that responsibility."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1223306

nvestigators want criminally negligent homicide charges brought against the driver of a bus that caught fire and exploded outside Dallas, killing 23 nursing home patients who were fleeing Hurricane Rita, a sheriff's spokesman said Monday.

The driver, Juan Gutierrez Robles, is currently in federal custody on immigration charges, Sgt. Don Peritz told CNN.

"We are recommending prosecution on 23 counts of criminally negligent homicide, one for each of the decedents," Peritz said. "It's now up to the district attorney's office to forward that information to a grand jury."

Each charge is a felony punishable by up to two years in prison under Texas law, and Dallas County Sheriff Lupe Valdez said an investigation by local, state and federal agencies could yield additional charges.

The bus was carrying patients from a nursing home in Bel Air, Texas, near Houston, on September 23, as residents of the Texas Gulf Coast evacuated their homes ahead of the hurricane.

The bus caught fire near Wilmer, on the southern outskirts of Dallas, and the blaze caused oxygen canisters brought for the nursing home patients to explode, destroying the vehicle, investigators found.

Robles, 37, of Pharr, Texas, and 14 patients escaped the burning bus.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/10/17/rita.busfire/index.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back