NCAA Sanctions: "DP" for Penn Football, or...?

Should the NCAA give Penn State the "death penalty"?

• Total voters
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...owl-ban-crippling-scholarship-losses/related/

But consider this snippet from the NCAA’s website related to charges a program can face:

“However, if an institution agrees with the facts that the investigation has uncovered, the case can enter the summary-disposition process before a notice of allegations is provided. In summary disposition, the school and the enforcement staff agree on the facts and a set of penalties to be imposed; no hearing before the Committee on Infractions is necessary.”

Such a case would bypass the normal NCAA investigative protocol, and indeed that’s what we have here.

Hmmmm. After reading the bolded part, I would bet that Erikson is already aware of the NCAA's sanctions and has agreed to them. Hence, the removal of the statue at such an odd time of day on a Sunday. It makes me wonder if 2A will take away some of JP's wins. The city of Grambling sent a letter requesting they do so, I read somewhere. (GU's coach held the most wins record til JP surpassed it.) All just my speculation.

I guess we'll find out at 9 am. It's gonna be a busy news day!

moo

wm

I rarely bump my own post, but I was pondering the possibility of JP/PSU being stripped of wins. I am still speechless that it;s wins all the way back to '98!

wm

Mark Emmert wrote a letter to Penn State President Rodney Erickson in November that included four questions he wanted the university to answer.

The NCAA felt the questions were answered by the Freeh report and therefore it could act before the university responded, a source familiar with the case said.

Full article - KTLA Los Angeles

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-paterno-statue-removal,0,118890.story

I suspected Tipstaff! Read my post on pg 4, it's the very last one.

wm:rocker:

You read all the signs WM - I read about Grambling filing to have PS wins vacated but just never suspected the NCAA would go back to 1998.

Good call WM.

I think it is fair, though I might have more punitive, regarding television. At least the money will go to a good cause.

You know, yesterday thinking about this. I thought there was no way that it will be close to being a fair or just punishment. I wanted the dp. But honestly, that's to good for them.

See to these guys, its always been about football. So basic. A game. A sport. I had over thought this to the highest level, hoping, praying I would/could understand. And I finally got it.

It wasn't such the building of a man into a god,it was about a game. A silly game. To be dp'ed for a year and then to be right back at where they were in the game...it was to good for them.

I still think no punishment could be severe enough, but, I'm actually feeling OK about it. Hit them where it will hurt them. The next 5 years will be horrible for that program. Take their power. Make them feel small and insignificant.

Note: I know in the grand scheme of it how I feel doesn't matter in the least. I just pray that when those courageous victims see this coverage, they are feeling some sort of peace.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Not severe enough IMO but at least the NCAA did something, which I didn't expect. Now, hopefully the Big Ten will follow suit with sanctions of their own. I did like vacating the wins. I like the acknowledgement that virtually everyone has that JoePa could have and should have done more. That he had the power to do something and he didn't... taking away those wins was good.

They should have been banned from TV, but maybe the Big Ten can do that? Or maybe they can make sure PSU can't get the money from tv? I don't know if that's possible.

I think it's fair too, J.J. I was hoping 2A would let the team play. There are so many fball players, faculty, students, alumni, vendors with whom I empathize. My emotional side would say 5 yrs dp so I didn't vote.

I think the sanctions are much worse than the death penalty.

moo

1st impression listening to this was tears for the ripple sandusky has caused for so many people. Then anger that this kind of punishment even had to be brougt on. Right now to me this is fair & just. Though I do think this year of football should have been closed. It's sad how inconsequnetial the money figure really is. Ha 1 year revenue.

l\ yeah but it is gross revenue....their profit is only 15 million a year...so thats 4 years...and the football program funds all the other sports...if they took away much more they would be taking it away from the lessor sports that would have had to not play cause they didnt get the football money.

the reports were right. this was worse than the DP for a year or two.

You know, yesterday thinking about this. I thought there was no way that it will be close to being a fair or just punishment. I wanted the dp. But honestly, that's to good for them.

See to these guys, its always been about football. So basic. A game. A sport. I had over thought this to the highest level, hoping, praying I would/could understand. And I finally got it.

It wasn't such the building of a man into a god,it was about a game. A silly game. To be dp'ed for a year and then to be right back at where they were in the game...it was to good for them.

I still think no punishment could be severe enough, but, I'm actually feeling OK about it. Hit them where it will hurt them. The next 5 years will be horrible for that program. Take their power. Make them feel small and insignificant.

Note: I know in the grand scheme of it how I feel doesn't matter in the least. I just pray that when those courageous victims see this coverage, they are feeling some sort of peace.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Your post reminded me of this....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNxLxTZHKM8&feature=share"]Andy Griffith Football Story from 1953 - YouTube[/ame]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back