LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #38

Status
Not open for further replies.
They'll most likely just bargain with taking death off the table in exchange for life (or two life sentences) if he pleads guilty to both and gives the location of the body.

I sure hope that if there are other BSL victims that the DA's office gets every detail from him before they make any sort of bargain about Life vs DP. I worry that many victims may go unknown and un-located if all chips are played too soon.

Very sad for the community and the families of these beautiful girls.

JMO....but I don't think BSL will confess to anything....even if they take the death penalty off the table. My reasoning for this: If he committed more than just these two murders (which is a very high probability), he knows that it will be tacked on to the next victim that they link to him. I don't think he has anything to lose at this point!

If LE is really looking at the possibility of linking him to other murders, I don't think they will even want to do a deal with him. JMO

I picked this up from posts on other websites with regard to the property where LP's remains were found - not confirmed, so this should be considered a rumor:

The house and property were owned by the couple involved in the auto accident. BSL's first cousin was renting the house at the time.

I had read the first information about the owners here and on TD, but I had not heard about cousin. I assume "at the time" means at the time of LP being missing.
When her remains were found, the renters had only been there August/September according to MSM http://www.raynetoday.com/view/full_story/19454037/article-Lavergne-indicted?instance=home_news_lead

I hope LE has looked for MS on property of any close or distant relatives/friends of BLS.

LE said they were unable to ascertain Lisa's cause of death.

http://www.klfy.com/story/19060497/lavergne-accused-of-murdering-lisa-pate

"Acadia Parish Sheriff Ken Goss was in office at the time and told Eyewitness News they were unable to tell from a preliminary examination of the remains how Pate was killed, but sheriff Goss says it was obvious from the boards that had been placed over the body it was foul play."
I know, but I was speaking of SteveP's statement, not Lisa's case necessarily.

Originally Posted by Mitzki5

http://www.melissadata.com/Lookups/CountyAccidents.asp?Summary=County&State=22
Here is the data posted last night about fatalities in 1999 in that area.

Right, thanks, and today we think it was June 19 on the 95 which is right in the area where LP was found, and it involved 3 people with 1 fatality.

http://www.melissadata.com/Lookups/CountyAccidents.asp?Year=1999&Fips=22097

While I did find news archives on other fatal accidents in Acadia Parish in 1999, I did not find news archives on this fatal accident in St. Landry Parish.
The Advocate's archives go back further than The Advertiser's archives.
I found the Acadia Parish accidents from 1999 in the Advocate's archives.
The Advertiser's archives only go back to 2002 online.

My thoughts here are:

Try BSL for the murder of LP first. If, by the conclusion of that trial, MS isn't found, bargain down for life-in-exchange-for-MS's-body (assuming guilt is proven, of course).

I remember MS's Dad said there would be no bargaining on the Nancy Grace show.

Right, thanks, and today we think it was June 19 on the 95 which is right in the area where LP was found, and it involved 3 people with 1 fatality.

While I did find news archives on other fatal accidents in Acadia Parish in 1999, I did not find news archives on this fatal accident in St. Landry Parish.
The Advocate's archives go back further than The Advertisers.
I found the Acadia Parish accidents from 1999 in the Advocate archives.
The Advertisers archives only go back to 2002 online.

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Prudhomme+Road+and+Brigman+hwy&daddr=Pitreville,+Church+Point,+LA+70525&hl=en&geocode=Fdz50AEdZz1_-ikzECPVorckhjHdWPSR-ae_sg%3BFTEW0QEddDOA-ikJ663e9bgkhjG4tRmSD523Dg&vps=1&sll=30.475234,-92.315798&sspn=0.022118,0.044889&vpsrc=6&t=h&mra=mr&ie=UTF8

Has it been posted that the body found in Atlanta TX was an 88 yr old male who committed suicide? I believe I read that correctly.

I'm going to have to disagree with SteveP from the last thread.

Possibly unlikely, but not probably unlikely. JMO

Jumping off your posts but not necessarily talking about actual cause of death, I would imagine they could determine if, for example, a knife where involved.

I think the point of discussing the LP case and where she was found would be to possibly shed some light on where Mickey might be found.

We know through MSM now that the property she was found on was a rented property. It was not suggested that the renter knew BSL at all. I doubt the renter did know BSL. The renter had only lived there a month. August/September? JMO
http://www.raynetoday.com/view/full_story/19454037/article-Lavergne-indicted?instance=home_news_lead

It has been rumored that there was some connection between the owner of that rental property and BSL. Locals are stating there is a connection. I guess it is just a rumor that I cannot discuss at this point.

I cannot find the article on the accident June 19th on HWY 95 that according to locals on this thread BSL was allegedly involved in, so I am guess that is another rumor that we should not discuss?

I just feel that the connection between BSL and the property LP was found on, plus the location of the property might be important in helping LE find Mickey.

If any of this makes any sense at all.

I agree the connection is valid. You may not be able to tell on the map, but there is a HUGE densely wooded area that is bordered on the west by hwy 95 and the south by Brigman hwy and goes as far north to almost reach 190 in some areas. Easy to get to this area from BSL's home, probably like 5 min or less by vehicle. Easy to get through on a 4 wheeler via backroads too. Would probably require a machete to get thru the woods, no one would casually go looking in this area. Wonder if he had access to a 4 wheeler? Nearly everyone out here has one and there's always people up and down the backroads on 4 wheelers, would not be out of place. Seems like he's familiar with this area, has gotten away (until now) with a crime tied to this area and the area is literally on the boundary line between 2 parishes (jurisdictional red tape to tie things up).

Seems a waste for society to pay for murders spending the rest of their lives in jail - IMO, once the appeals run out, they become organ donors - perhaps giving a bit of life back to someone in need...

Agree with the sentiment but I would put my own feelings aside on this one. For me, I would be asking the Shunicks. Whatever they want. If they don't want a deal, go for the DP. If they want to know where Mickey's body is so they can bring her home in exchange for life w/o, then I cut the deal.

Is all the evidence revealed to the Grand Jury or just enough to justify a trial?

Lisa Pate's family talks to KATC's Jenise Fernandez today at 5 adn 6. She's the second woman Brandon Lavergne is accused of killing.
I reached out to Lisa Pate's family. They say hearing the indictment yesterday was shocking. They describe Lisa as a loving and caring person. I'll have more tonight at 5 and 6.

http://www.facebook.com/katctv3

Jumping off your posts but not necessarily talking about actual cause of death, I would imagine they could determine if, for example, a knife where involved.
Or found a bullet within or under bones. Would be harder to find though, if the bones were very scattered.

Skull bashed in might speak to a cause of death. JMO

JMO....but I don't think BSL will confess to anything....even if they take the death penalty off the table. My reasoning for this: If he committed more than just these two murders (which is a very high probability), he knows that it will be tacked on to the next victim that they link to him. I don't think he has anything to lose at this point!

To play devil's advocate, the plea could be across the board. In other words, it doesn't matter if he gets 1 life sentence or 10, as long as he is in prison for the rest of this lifetime. Under this scenario, he is given the opportunity to provide details on ALL crimes he committed with the agreement he gets life w/o parole on them and no DP. Obviously, to avoid the DP he has to come clean on everything and fully cooperate in locating any missing persons. To him, it is one lifetime in prison, whether its one murder or 10. At the same time, he controls when he dies, not the state. Overall, I probably agree with you, that the odds are he won't confess, but it could be handled in a manner that addresses that concern.

I remember MS's Dad said there would be no bargaining on the Nancy Grace show.

My recollection is that he was willing to let BSL go free if he could bring Mickey home alive but that if she were dead, then forget it. I think what we are discussing now is a little bit different. He may be of that opinion but I think it was expressed in a different context at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SGS3030