Status
Not open for further replies.

Salem

Former Member
Reaction score
Please continue here.

REMINDERS:

Terms of Service - Short, Plain Language Version

We have a detailed, formal Terms of Service (TOS) posted separately, and that TOS is what you will be held to as a member here. It's long and detailed because it has to be in the world we live in, and you are expected to read it, understand it and abide by it. However, we can sum it up as follows:

1) Be a decent human being;
2) Treat your fellow posters as the decent human beings they are;
3) Keep in mind that whatever you post will likely live on forever, so think before you press "Submit Reply".
4) It's a big world. People will disagree with you. You will disagree with them. This can be done with respect, and that's what we expect.

Some specifics about being “a decent human being”:

Being rude to our new posters or any poster for that matter, is against our TOS. If they ask a question you think has already been discussed, just pass on by it. Do not tell them to get up to speed before posting. That is rude and against our TOS.

Do not drag any innocent persons into this discussion, and certainly do not post personal information (names, addresses, phone numbers, etc) of innocent parties.

Please remember to post links to backup information in your posts.

Please remember that any pictures posted as attachments must give full credit to the original owner of the picture. Linking to the hosting site of the pictures is fine.

Links to social networking sites are allowed, but WS does not allow direct quotes or cut and pastes from them.

Please do not link to minors' pages.

If anyone has a problem with a post, please alert us to it using the alert button in the top right corner of each post. You will see a triangle with an exclamation mark in it there. Do not respond to a problematic post. That only compounds the problem and creates more work for the mods. Hit the alert button instead.

You are all experienced enough posters by now to abide by these rules. Please don't make us give timeouts.

The complete TOS can be found here:

The Rules - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Please read and follow them.

Thank you.

Previous Threads:

Thread #1 Thread #2

Thread #3 Thread #4

Thread #5 Thread #6

Thread #7 Thread #8

Um, ok. I guess we're all getting frustrated that there's nothing new out there about Steven. I think I'll take a break and hang out elsewhere for a while.

Um, ok. I guess we're all getting frustrated that there's nothing new out there about Steven. I think I'll take a break and hang out elsewhere for a while.

There WAS a new local news story this morning:
The Deseret News

A few tidbits, nothing that adds to our information (except one, which is completely opposite of what we were previously told), and praise for Steven's work with kids - some of which (obviously) took place before he moved to St George, if you're familiar with Jazz Camp.

GMTA.
I was surprised to see the mention of *advertiser censored* and bomb-making. Is that what you have to "suspect" to get a subpoena for a computer?

I really hope they looked for more than "nefarious activity", because otherwise, they may have totally overlooked clues to his disappearance.

Why not look for maps, locations, contacts (known and unknown), recent emails, and even things that don't involve an internet connection?

So it seems his personal diary did not yield much.

His personal diary was searched for clues. In his private moments he confessed to having two problems: no full-time job and no wife. And he was hard at work on both.

Wow, that's so sad. :( And how weird that "news" turns up right now, of all times?

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700022063/A-trail-of-good-deeds-left-behind.html

His personal diary was searched for clues. In his private moments he confessed to having two problems: no full-time job and no wife. And he was hard at work on both.

The diary, of course, is the surprise. Of course, we used the term "journal" (which I always understood to be the proper term used by his faith) and were told that he didn't have one, or a day planner.

Unfortunately, I believe Steven's method for looking for full-time employment, may not have been the most productive. (All those unsent job applications, found in his apartment.) There are plenty available jobs in St George, and if you want to work, it may take awhile but you can find a full-time job.

Now we find out that he was revising the home teaching plans, yet it seems to have been a surprise to Webb and others. It's the kind of busy work (like creating lots of job apps but never sending them out) that can convince someone that they're "working hard" -- yet there's no results because there's no output.

Wow, that's so sad. :( And how weird that "news" turns up right now, of all times?

Seems so, doesn't it?

It's a sad case, with few answers.

We can't see the diary (and it's none of our business) nor do we know what those psychologists based their opinions on.

There was no news in that story that gave any us any real information, although it was a nice piece to support the family.
We're really not productive here, without more information. I think I'm going to bail, until we learn more.

Lee Benson's column clarifies many things.

But first in reference to the detectives searching for *advertiser censored* and bomb-making instructions, that's literary license. They are looking for anything that indicates activities he was involved in, and the nature of being an investigator is they are looking for bad activities he could be involved in to disappear.

So of course they looked at everything when they got access to his computer. In a sort of a duh moment, you have to look at everything to look for anything.

I was under the strong opinion that one does not buy Christmas gifts for family, albeit modest gifts given his expenses, with intent to disappear. I have strong opinions about behavior prior to disappearance given the many, many cases we've looked at through the years on sleuthing forums. People do not disappear of their own volition in the midst of continuing normal behavior patterns. That's why I asked what his behavior was in the preceding 30 to 90 days, day in, day out behavior. Maybe the family just didn't know, but this article says more about his behavior than anything else I've seen so far.

Recent checking out of a library of a book on Pete Maravich (related to his coaching and apparent interest of basketball), book on geneology related to his family, and DVD of mythical science fiction shows completely normal behavior and continued interest in life and family.

This is empahasized with his diary entries showing his greatest concerns were lack of full time job and a wife (the latter being a problem stemming from the former). That should also put to rest thoughts of gender issues.

My opinion continues to be that lack of understanding of what his daily activities were and how the recent trip activity culminating in his disappearance continued or deviated from that pattern is the biggest problem.

Unless I missed an answer somewhere, for SK to make trips to two locations prior to a trip to the third in Henderson with not one person being aware of his presence or communicating with him is extremely strange. And how much did this deviate from his behavior in the days of the prior week, two weeks, month? What caused a flurry of driving with no known communications whatsoever?

No matter what ill will may have befallen SK, it's unlikely it was planned with no communications known with SK. And almost as unlikely that SK made multiple trips with no indication or communication of the intent.

Even the purchase of a temporay cell phone is unlikely with no indication of it while receipts for fast food were kept.

Something that we don't have access to is being overlooked in my opinion.

rd

So it seems his personal diary did not yield much.

Well...we learned he was "working hard" to find a wife (in addition to the job). Why did he have to tell himself (via the diary) that he was "working hard" on getting the job and the wife?

How do you "work hard" on that? Drive around, maybe to Ruby Valley, to talk to an ex-girlfriend's family?

Steven, tell us!

The column writer said he was working hard on his interests, laytonian. I don't think that was a quote from his diary/ journal.

rd

I was under the strong opinion that one does not buy Christmas gifts for family, albeit modest gifts given his expenses, with intent to disappear. I have strong opinions about behavior prior to disappearance given the many, many cases we've looked at through the years on sleuthing forums. People do not disappear of their own volition in the midst of continuing normal behavior patterns.

I don't think we can say that buying presents two weeks before Christmas, rules out a disappearance or not.

In Steven's case, those gifts filled one last family obligation since he was only obligated to buy Christmas gifts for his brother and family, since the family "draws names". Then, he left them in the car, which was pretty much "plain sight" to assure they'd be found.

In 1998, 15-year-old
Kenny White actually did buy Christmas presents, before he killed himself.

In 2007, a woman in the UK bought Christmas presents and tied up other loose ends, before jumping from a window to her death.

I do agree that we'd need to analyze his recent activities, to determine what was out of sync....and I also believe the family is listening to people who tell them what they want to hear.

they only shared those two things - no job or wife - and nothing else. who knows what else is in that diary.

if he was really interested in getting a wife he would have had one years ago. He idealized the perfect bride so as to make it impossible to realize. a self-fulfilling prophesy.

IMO:
Steven K is a nice guy.
He had not found the right job.
He had not found the right woman to marry.

I think he took a quasi job that promised big returns.
I think that job took him to where he disappeared that Sunday.

I think that the car viewed on the video and the real estate business
may have something to do with why Steven was there.
Whatever happened to Steven that day and however it happened,
I do not think Steven is with us any longer.

Just popping in to say that I really feel your frustration, peeps. You've worked so hard on SK's case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth