GUILTY WV - 29 miners killed in coal dust explosion at Upper Big Branch, 5 April 2010

West Virginia's state mine director says six coal miners are dead and 21 others missing after an explosion in Raleigh County.

There are reports that 21 miners have already been removed from the mine and are being treated for their injuries. That would put 48 miners underground at the time of the explosion.

http://www.wchstv.com/newsroom/eyewitness/100405_1456.shtml

Please keep my home state in your thoughts tonight. I'm wondering if the recent earthquake activity here in WV has something to do with this. We've had two in the last few weeks, which is not normal for here, from what I've been able to find online.

Please keep my home state in your thoughts tonight. I'm wondering if the recent earthquake activity here in WV has something to do with this. We've had two in the last few weeks, which is not normal for here, from what I've been able to find online.

Your in our prayers WV, I'm in Georgia and heard nothing about WV having earthquake activity. That could have had something to do with it, maybe it weakened the structure.

So sad. :(

My thoughts and prayers go out to all the victims and their families.

:( very sad :(
These men wake up to do an honest days work but don't return.....

Prayers for the families and the 19 missing.:praying:

God be with them and their families at this time. It is so hard to watch these horrible accidents happen over and over :(

Local news is reporting 8 confirmed dead and 18 still missing. That supposedly came from the Raleigh County EMS

These accidents break my heart. I think about the miners alot and the dangerous job they do for us all.

Please save the rest of the missing and comfort the families who have lost loved ones. :praying:

More info at this link. http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/89943497.html?storySection=story

Mine safety officials say the seven miners killed inside a West Virginia coal mine were leaving the site in a vehicle when an explosion occurred.

Kevin Stricklin, an administrator with the Mine Safety and Health Administration, says two other men on the vehicle were hurt. Stricklin says there are 19 others unaccounted for, including two crews of nine workers and a fireboss who had been working alone.

The explosion destroyed all communication lines inside the mine.

Stricklin says there are two rescue chambers near the blast site that, if the trapped miners can reach them, are stocked with food, water and enough air to survive four days.

Stricklin says officials don't believe there was a roof collapse, but they don't yet know what caused the explosion.

One of the people commenting say there are three from one family that are missing.

More info at this link. http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/89943497.html?storySection=story

Mine safety officials say the seven miners killed inside a West Virginia coal mine were leaving the site in a vehicle when an explosion occurred.

Kevin Stricklin, an administrator with the Mine Safety and Health Administration, says two other men on the vehicle were hurt. Stricklin says there are 19 others unaccounted for, including two crews of nine workers and a fireboss who had been working alone.

The explosion destroyed all communication lines inside the mine.

Stricklin says there are two rescue chambers near the blast site that, if the trapped miners can reach them, are stocked with food, water and enough air to survive four days.

Stricklin says officials don't believe there was a roof collapse, but they don't yet know what caused the explosion.

One of the people commenting say there are three from one family that are missing.

This is so heartbreaking. Tears me up to pieces.
I had to play flip-a-roo with my remote to see news about it. I'm sorry but I think this story should be covered more than TW.

Please help the community through this tragedy. Grant comfort to those who have lost loved ones. And find the missing miners.
:praying:

I am so, so sorry to hear about this mining accident. These guys work so hard, and this is their families worst nightmare come true.

GB those who have died and their families, and GB the injured.

If this turns out anything like the Sago Mine disaster, there will be plenty of news coverage by tomorrow. I don't think there is much to report right now. They have to make sure it is safe for the first response crew to go in before they risk more lives. I just read that Larry King Live will be reporting on the explosion tonight.

Twelve miners died Monday and more than a dozen were unaccounted for after an explosion erupted inside an underground mine in Raleigh County, West Virginia, the mine's parent company said.
Another 21 miners were injured in the blast at the Upper Big Branch Mine, according to Michael Mayhorn, emergency dispatcher for Boone County, which was called in to assist in the response.
The explosion apparently occurred during an afternoon shift change, witnesses and officials said.

More at link:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/04/05/west.virginia.mine.explosion/index.html?hpt=T1

Prayers to all affected by this tragedy. So sad....just saw this breaking news banner.

25 miners reported dead in West Virginia mine explosion, CNN reports.
http://www.cnn.com/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back