WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salem

Former Member
Reaction score
Please continue here.

Thread 5

REMINDERS:

Message from Hoppyfrog, Moderator:

Terms of Service - Short, Plain Language Version

We have a detailed, formal Terms of Service (TOS) posted separately, and that TOS is what you will be held to as a member here. It's long and detailed because it has to be in the world we live in, and you are expected to read it, understand it and abide by it. However, we can sum it up as follows:

1) Be a decent human being;
2) Treat your fellow posters as the decent human beings they are;
3) Keep in mind that whatever you post will likely live on forever, so think before you press "Submit Reply".
4) It's a big world. People will disagree with you. You will disagree with them. This can be done with respect, and that's what we expect.

Some specifics about being “a decent human being”:

Being rude to our new posters or any poster for that matter, is against our TOS. If they ask a question you think has already been discussed, just pass on by it. Do not tell them to get up to speed before posting. That is rude and against our TOS.

Do not drag any innocent persons--such as SS's relatives--into this discussion, and certainly do not post personal information (names, addresses, phone numbers, etc) of innocent parties.

Do not post about other WS members, whether or not they are present. Do not post about why or why not they are present. That is called gossip, and we don’t do that at WS. It’s rude.

It is against TOS to try to guess or sleuth the identity of another poster at WS.

Links to social networking sites are allowed, but WS does not allow direct quotes or cut and pastes from them.

Please do not link to minors' pages.

If anyone has a problem with a post, please alert us to it using the alert button in the top right corner of each post. You will see a triangle with an exclamation mark in it there. Do not respond to a problematic post. That only compounds the problem and creates more work for the mods. Hit the alert button instead.

The complete TOS can be found here:

The Rules - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Please read and follow them.

Thank you.

Also - remember that talking about emailing or PM'ing each other is against the rules. You will find it in the TOS under "inviting." You can do it, you can't post about it.

Thread 4

Thread 3

Thread 2

Thread 1

WS is a victim friendly forum. That means we do not sleuth family or friends of a victim until LE or main stream media give us a reason too. We treat family and friends with respect and sensitivity.

We also recognize that each poster has an opinion. They are entitled to their opinion. If you disagree with the opinion, move on - do not respond and try to change their mind. Just move on. If their opinion or post is offensive, hit the alert button (the little red triangle in the upper right corner of the post), then move on.

When paraphrasing from articles, it is important to be accurate. Do not add words to the interviewer or the interviewee's comments.

It is recognized that this case may be at a cross roads and could potentially turn in a couple of different directions. If that happens, sleuthing will also take a turn. BUT sleuthing will not take that turn unless there are solid indications from LE or the main stream media.

If there is continued sleuthing or disparaging comments about family members, posters will be given time outs.

Thanks for keeping the focus on Shantina and Azriel.

Salem

This is in response to the Examiner.com story posted on the last thread. If someone could repost that may be helpful. There was a statement that the investigators did not think the various items would have washed up together. That is what several here have thought as well. It would seem then that at the area around the stairs was above the highwater mark. That makes sense in that you would expect the stairs to have a stable base not subject to wash out underneath considering how treacherous the stairs were in height. So it was likely that area of permanent dry beach that these items were found.

The lack of identification of the man's shoe. The house above this area where the 4 pounding knocks came are the most mysterious parts of the story to me. The fact there was no follow up to the knock on an entry door or doorbell ring or even trying another home until help was found if the situation was an emergency. But, why were the items left there? In one area like that where they were sure to be found. What purpose would it serve? If they didn't wash up there, then they were left there on purpose, right? What reason could there be?

http://ww.examiner.com/x-34328-Seat...no-foul-play-suspected-Shantina-still-missing

It was also brought up on the other thread by some who felt these items weren't found together, but rather here and there as the person walked along the beach. The Deputy indicates they WERE found together:

"It was interesting that the items belonging to Shantina and Azriel found on the beach were just below the housing development where this house is located. The items were about 50-60 yards from the house, just down a steep stairway," Chamberlain said.

He found it peculiar, he said, that the items would all be found at the same location on the beach. Chamberlain said he does not believe the items were washed out to sea as originally believed because of the difference in weight and size of the items. He believes it is more likely Shantina and Azriel walked down the beach and that they had the items with them.

"It is unlikely they would all float to that spot," Chamberlain said. "Perhaps they walked down the beach and became trapped by the incoming tide, or they tried climbing the steep stairs and slipped, getting trapped in the water."

He's been involved in the investigation. If he says they were found in the same location, they were.

This is in response to the Examiner.com story posted on the last thread. If someone could repost that may be helpful. There was a statement that the investigators did not think the various items would have washed up together. That is what several here have thought as well. It would seem then that at the area around the stairs was above the highwater mark. That makes sense in that you would expect the stairs to have a stable base not subject to wash out underneath considering how treacherous the stairs were in height. So it was likely that area of permanent dry beach that these items were found.

The lack of identification of the man's shoe. The house above this area where the 4 pounding knocks came are the most mysterious parts of the story to me. The fact there was no follow up to the knock on an entry door or doorbell ring or even trying another home until help was found if the situation was an emergency. But, why were the items left there? In one area like that where they were sure to be found. What purpose would it serve? If they didn't wash up there, then they were left there on purpose, right? What reason could there be?

They were found just a day or two after the search in that area was called off, IIRC. I'd like to know how often the woman walks that part of the beach, and had she walked there since the van was found.

itemsfound2.jpg

http://www.nwcn.com/home/Fiance-Ite...g-woman-son-88432872.html?gallery=y&img=0&c=y

Shantina Smiley: Update from police; no foul play suspected, Shantina still missing

http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Sea...no-foul-play-suspected-Shantina-still-missing

Brought over the pic and Examiner article, to this thread.

Thanks Calliope! Great question. For one thing, even if SHE didn't walk the beach, one would have hoped that investigators would have covered that area and known whether or not they were there on Sunday morning!

I agree totally that the items did not wash up there but were seeded for a particular reason. But, why not have just left them in the van and allow them to wash up wherever the tide took them. Why go to the trouble of taking things like the balls out to put in a particular location. Was it to lead investigators away from there in a false direction? Like a breadcrumb trail to lead away from another location? All of this seems staged, but, all that was needed apparantly to make investigators think she drowned was to leave the doors open on the beach! She must have thought she needed to do more. IDK.

Didn't you find it curious that RS even now is expecting her to be hiding out in someone's basement? I think she is no longer in the area. But, on the other hand I wondered if he had a particular basement in mind when he said that.

Where is RS talking about the basement?

FYI, the Examiner is not a real newspaper, more of a blog site.

RS is behaving like many of us would in his situation, holding out hope that somehow she is alive.

RS is behaving like many of us would in his situation, holding out hope that somehow she is alive.

I can say with a degree of certainty I wouldn't be planning a memorial service less than 2 weeks after my loved one went missing. Makes me wonder if LE has shared something with him that they aren't making public.

FYI, the Examiner is not a real newspaper, more of a blog site.

I hope you won't hold that against publications as most so-called mainstream newspapers have an online edition. Just because a "paper" is on newsprint does not give their articles more credence. What is wrong with an on-line newspaper? It's the wave of the future.

I hope you won't hold that against publications as most so-called mainstream newspapers have an online edition. Just because a "paper" is on newsprint does not give their articles more credence. What is wrong with an on-line newspaper? It's the wave of the future.

The writer of that article is a member here. I've seen nothing in her articles to indicate she hasn't researched the subject and she includes her sources by name. I'm sure she can answer to any questions about her sources.

Thanks Calliope! Great question. For one thing, even if SHE didn't walk the beach, one would have hoped that investigators would have covered that area and known whether or not they were there on Sunday morning!

I agree totally that the items did not wash up there but were seeded for a particular reason. But, why not have just left them in the van and allow them to wash up wherever the tide took them. Why go to the trouble of taking things like the balls out to put in a particular location. Was it to lead investigators away from there in a false direction? Like a breadcrumb trail to lead away from another location? All of this seems staged, but, all that was needed apparantly to make investigators think she drowned was to leave the doors open on the beach! She must have thought she needed to do more. IDK.

Didn't you find it curious that RS even now is expecting her to be hiding out in someone's basement? I think she is no longer in the area. But, on the other hand I wondered if he had a particular basement in mind when he said that.

SS and AZ washing out to sea out of the van just seemed implausible to me. I don't believe that is what happened.

As far as how those items got on the beach and why... I have no idea. But why only these items? And what is the significance of the man's shoe? If Shantina was there on that section of the beach, then where is her purse and bag? And then there's her wallet. It may have fallen from the front pocket of her sweatshirt or out of her purse as she grabbed it out of the van. Or it could have been left behind or placed there intentionally.

The writer of that article is a member here. I've seen nothing in her articles to indicate she hasn't researched the subject and she includes her sources by name. I'm sure she can answer to any questions about her sources.

I spoke with Chief Criminal Deputy Jim Chamberlain on Friday and the information in the article is the information he provided to me. I have covered this case since Shantina and her son went missing.

It is my understanding, as well, that online news publications are the wave of the future.

Isabelle Zehnder
www.seattleheadlinesexaminer.com

SS and AZ washing out to sea out of the van just seemed implausible to me. I don't believe that is what happened.

As far as how those items got on the beach and why... I have no idea. But why only these items? And what is the significance of the man's shoe? If Shantina was there on that section of the beach, then where is her purse and bag? And then there's her wallet. It may have fallen from the front pocket of her sweatshirt or out of her purse as she grabbed it out of the van. Or it could have been left behind or placed there intentionally.

I lean towards the wallet left intentionally. To be sure they had her ID. She was in a vehicle that was not registered to her. I think the Van was supposed to have been washed away and been found later. But, I am unclear where the wallet was actually found. I too think that it's implausible for them to wash out considering the water there would have had the weakest current, due to it's being a coved area. I almost think that Az would have been taken further out to arrive on that island located midchannel. My worst case scenario is the person who she was arranged to meet with for a rendezvous came by boat. He picked them both up. Az was uncooperative and the guy threw him overboard in a deeper channel.

I would like for investigators to try to recreate the time and tides. With a painted test dummy to his weight let the tide drift and see where it would have washed up. If it does not come up on Fox Island, then it can be determined after a couple tests that he was intentionally dumped from another location.

Just curious, does anyone know if the video of her allegedly purchasing the wine shows her leaving the store with it? IIRC, LE said it did not appear on the receipt.

Because it's not a newspaper. Anyone can go write for the Examiner, you just need to set up an account.

And yes, someone I happen to know also has an Examiner column. He's not a journalist, and he's not writing for a newspaper.

What's a girl to do? When big media like ABC has a track record of phonying up their reports. CNN and FOX hype and use thinly disguised commercials as "reporting". I guess it comes down to your own follow-ups and diligence to know what stories are credible and which aren't. I think in the particular instance this applies to, that the person was doing a perfectly acceptable job of reporting the facts as they are being disseminated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74