1572 users online (362 members and 1210 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    854

    SC - Alex Pino, 21, and Juanita Floyd, 25, Conway, 1986

    This is the only story that I can find online. I live in this city and I see the van with "A mother's tears" Unsolved murder of Alex Pino written on it. This is so sad. His friend was also killed.

    Link:
    http://www.cnycentral.com/sports/story.aspx?id=88084

    Family seeks answers in 22 year old cold case By Amanda Kinseth
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 at 5:48 p.m.



    Tonight a Conway family asks for your help in finding the person who murdered their son 22 years ago.
    The victim's family recently went back to police but the case is closed unless new information comes to light.
    Alex Pino and a friend were killed 22 years ago, and still no one is in jail for the crime. The anniversary is this weekend.
    "It will be 22 years Saturday, and it's been miserable. very very miserable. It just don't ever go away," Jennie Graham, Alex Pino's mother, said.
    Now, the family just wants answers to his unsolved murder. "All these years, for us not knowing what happened or why it happened," said Blanchie Pino, victim's wife.

    more at link:
    Last edited by Cubby; 04-10-2010 at 01:45 AM. Reason: added link that story was on./ copyright
    Debbie

    To catch a criminal, you must think like one. (Professor Hamre)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    854
    Sorry I forgot earlier to paste in the link in which I found the article. I can not find anything else on the web. I will have to make a trip to the local library and see if they have anything on microfilm.

    I pass by the street that this happened on every day (M-Th) and it is in a bad neighborhood. I am going to google the girls name and see if anything will come up.
    Debbie

    To catch a criminal, you must think like one. (Professor Hamre)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Native Oregonian now in Chicago
    Posts
    1,678
    A person was found not guilty of the crime, so were they truly "not guilty", or was there not enough evidence?? The article wasn't very clear. If they are the perp double jeopardy prevents this case from receiving any real justice.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by chicagofa13 View Post
    A person was found not guilty of the crime, so were they truly "not guilty", or was there not enough evidence?? The article wasn't very clear. If they are the perp double jeopardy prevents this case from receiving any real justice.
    No one has been found guilty in this crime, no one has ever been arrested.
    Debbie

    To catch a criminal, you must think like one. (Professor Hamre)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by chicagofa13 View Post
    A person was found not guilty of the crime, so were they truly "not guilty", or was there not enough evidence?? The article wasn't very clear. If they are the perp double jeopardy prevents this case from receiving any real justice.
    Where are you reading that a person was found not guilty? In light of the article there has never been a person of interest.
    Debbie

    To catch a criminal, you must think like one. (Professor Hamre)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Indiana [USA]
    Posts
    1,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie Miller View Post
    Where are you reading that a person was found not guilty? In light of the article there has never been a person of interest.
    Conway Police charged a suspect, but a jury found him not guilty. Police will reopen the case if there are any new leads, but after 22 years, some records, evidence and employees are gone.

    :+:Anneliese Michel:+:

    [21 September 19521 July 1976]

    [Second chapter twelfth verse of [
    :+:Philippians:+:]
    [Work out your own salvation, with fear and trembling]
    :+:Emily Rose:+:




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,224
    In reading that Alex Pino and Juanita Johnson were stabbed, my first thought was of an OJ type situation, the perp having been a male in a jealous rage.

    Some questions:
    1. What was the nature of the relationship between Alex and Juanita?
    Were they just friends or lovers?
    3. How many times was each stabbed?
    4. What time of day or night did this occur?
    5. Who was the person charged, but acquitted?
    6. Was that person known or unknown to Pino and Johnson?

    http://www.cnycentral.com/sports/story.aspx?id=88084
    Last edited by justthinkin; 04-19-2010 at 09:43 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Native Oregonian now in Chicago
    Posts
    1,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie Miller View Post
    No one has been found guilty in this crime, no one has ever been arrested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie Miller View Post
    Where are you reading that a person was found not guilty? In light of the article there has never been a person of interest.
    I was reading the article you posted above:

    http://www.cnycentral.com/sports/story.aspx?id=88084

    snip

    Conway Police charged a suspect, but a jury found him not guilty.

    snip

    So if he truly is the guy, he will go free forever due to double jeopardy. There has to be a record of the case somewhere, with his name and the jury's not guilty finding.

    Or maybe the article is not correct, there isn't a suspect or POI as you say Debbie?? I don't know, just feel sorry for the Mom. My cousin was murdered and I know if they hadn't caught the 4 people I would be out looking until I found them.

    ETA: I see someone else answered Debbie, sorry, I will leave my response anyway. This is what you get when you are TWT: "typing while tired".
    Last edited by chicagofa13; 04-18-2010 at 11:24 PM. Reason: oops

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by chicagofa13 View Post
    I was reading the article you posted above:

    http://www.cnycentral.com/sports/story.aspx?id=88084

    snip

    Conway Police charged a suspect, but a jury found him not guilty.

    snip

    So if he truly is the guy, he will go free forever due to double jeopardy. There has to be a record of the case somewhere, with his name and the jury's not guilty finding.

    Or maybe the article is not correct, there isn't a suspect or POI as you say Debbie?? I don't know, just feel sorry for the Mom. My cousin was murdered and I know if they hadn't caught the 4 people I would be out looking until I found them.

    ETA: I see someone else answered Debbie, sorry, I will leave my response anyway. This is what you get when you are TWT: "typing while tired".
    Ok I was reading the post I put up from here on the board, I didn't click on the link.

    I will have a chance to talk to the mother as she was in the store tonight, I only know this because I saw her leaving. I will ask her. My semester ends the first week of May and I will go to the library and see what articles I can pull up from archives.

    I am wondering why the article didn't copy in full .
    Debbie

    To catch a criminal, you must think like one. (Professor Hamre)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    231
    You would think that the article would mention some facts about the original crime and the court case that followed it, including the suspect tried and found not guilty. It seems as though this kind of information would be necessary to jog memories of any witnesses, or people who might have peripheral information but don't know it. Quite frankly I think it is a shame that so much information on these cold cases lie dormant in pre internet file cabinets and microfilms, essentially useless to all but the few cold case detectives that might have access to it. I hope that reporters who cover these types of anniversary stories know that they might be the last hope in generating interest and information about cold cases and be as diligent as possible in covering the stories. Okay sorry for the rant but the lack of info on this case and others is just so frustrating and it is easy to see how cases go and stay cold with such minimal coverage. Hopefully the families of Alex and Juanita will get the answers that they so desperately seek someday.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    74,358
    I wonder if the info from the murder trial, I assume murder trial, where a jury found the person not guilty is available. Or was that a grand jury and there was not enough to indict? The article is not very clear.

    Debbie, maybe when you are done with your classes if you are close to the court house you could inquire on what you can find via the freedom of information act. I'd be interested in learning more about the case.
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    I wonder if the info from the murder trial, I assume murder trial, where a jury found the person not guilty is available. Or was that a grand jury and there was not enough to indict? The article is not very clear.

    Debbie, maybe when you are done with your classes if you are close to the court house you could inquire on what you can find via the freedom of information act. I'd be interested in learning more about the case.
    Yes the court house is about 20 mins. from me, so this won't be a problem. I should be able to find it with the victim's name as I did this with my mom's case.

    Once a name of the person tried is known I can go from there with where is he now?
    Debbie

    To catch a criminal, you must think like one. (Professor Hamre)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    74,358
    Thanks Debbie. What confuses me was if the person was actually tried and found not guilty or was this a grand jury refusing to indict due to lack of evidence. Two very different things.

    If the person has been tried and found not guilty in a regular murder trial, we are stuck due to the double jeaprody thing.

    I'm hoping you can find info to clarify how this person was cleared or ?

    thanks!
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Who Dat Nation
    Posts
    29,857
    Any news on this cold case. Here's a link to an article from 1986 when the suspect was acquitted. His sunglasses were found under Floyd's bed with Alex Pino's blood on them. The jury decided that wasn't enough evidence to prove guilt.

    http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...g=2884%2C76123

    Article from January 1986
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...6332%2C8265208

    July 31, 1986
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...1278%2C8732001
    __________________________________
    Muddy water in the street
    ; Muddy water 'round my feet... as sung by the inimitable Bessie Smith, "Muddy Water (A Mississippi Moan)"

    WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK





Similar Threads

  1. Found Safe VA - Carl Sandridge, 41, Floyd Fandango festival, Floyd, 25 June 2016
    By los2188 in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2016, 05:48 PM
  2. CT Marisela Pino (11) - Waterbury CT, 1993
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum Missing Children in America - A Profile
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-30-2013, 09:58 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-17-2012, 07:28 PM
  4. Found Deceased CA - Guillermo Pino, 26, Anza-Borrego State Park, 8 April 2012
    By imamaze in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-10-2012, 06:59 PM

Tags for this Thread