2010.04.10 Polish President Among 132 Dead in Plan Crash

Pandora

Reaction score
SMOLENSK, Russia - Polish President Lech Kaczynski was killed when a plane carrying 132 people crashed in thick fog on its approach to a Russian airport on Saturday, killing everyone on board, officials said.

The governor of the Smolensk region, where the crash took place about 11 a.m. (3 a.m. ET), said no one survived.

"The Polish presidential plane did not make it to the runway while landing. Tentative findings indicate that it hit the treetops and fell apart," Sergei Anufriev said on state news channel Rossiya-24. "Nobody has survived the disaster."

Kaczynski's wife Maria, Central bank governor Slawomir Skrzypek and the chief of Poland's military Franciszek Gagor were among those on board the Tupolev Tu-154 plane, which came down as it neared the airport in western Russia.

More at link:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36352097/ns/world_news-europe?GT1=39002

May God be with Poland and her people during this tragic time.
Many of the others on the plane were family members of those Stalin killed. :(

I saw this today when I woke up! How horrible. Not only the president and his wife but many other government officials. God bless the people of Poland in this sad time.

The leaders were on their way to Russia to attend events "marking the 70th anniversary of the massacre in Katyn forest of thousands of Polish officers by Soviet secret police. (...) "This is unbelievable – this tragic, cursed Katyn," Kaczynski's predecessor, Aleksander Kwasniewski, said on TVN24 television. It is "a cursed place, horrible symbolism," he said. "It's hard to believe. You get chills down your spine."

Chilling, indeed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/10/polish-president-plane-cr_n_532768.html

What a horrible national tragedy for Poland. I hope that they are able to make a smooth transition to maintain stability.

hmmm???:waitasec:IS THERE another thread on this topic?
I know I posted on it this morning....:waitasec:

Poland marks anniversary of president's death in Russian air crash
Church bells have been rung across Poland to mark the first anniversary of the death of President Lech Kaczynski and 95 others in a plane crash in Russia.

Poles filled churches and cemeteries and a large crowd gathered in front of the presidential palace, where Kaczynski and his wife, Maria, lived until their deaths in the crash, which happened near Smolensk.

The crowd fell still at 8.41am. Sirens were sounded in central Warsaw, while church bells pealed elsewhere.
---
more at Guardian link above

How very sad. What a terrible loss and tragedy.

May Poland live on and all RIP.

Goz

Poland Exhumes Ex-President’s Body in Inquiry of 2010 Plane Crash

The bodies of Poland’s former president and his wife were exhumed Monday evening as part of an investigation into an April 2010 plane crash in Russia that killed the couple — after years of speculation, backed by little evidence, that the crash was not an accident.

Over the next two months, prosecutors appointed by Poland’s right-wing governing party plan to examine the remains of 83 of the 96 people who died in the crash, starting with the former president, Lech Kaczynski, and his wife, Maria.

[...]

The [Law and Justice] party has long insisted that investigations by Poland’s former government and the Russian authorities failed to unearth the true cause of the crash. Reopening the investigation was one of the first acts of the new government after assuming power a year ago.

[...]

In the years after the crash, a team of experts led by Antoni Macierewicz, who is now the defense minister, claimed that the plane had been brought down by explosives brought on board.

Experts working with Mr. Macierewicz even suggested that Russia had pumped artificial fog over the runway. They tried to prove their theories, in one instance, by boiling sausages and noting that the split along the length of a cooked sausage matched a gash in the plane’s fuselage, indicating that high heat was involved.

Read more at ... http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/15/world/europe/poland-exhumes-lech-kaczynski.html?_r=0

The bodies of Poland’s former president and his wife were exhumed Monday evening as part of an investigation into an April 2010 plane crash in Russia that killed the couple — after years of speculation, backed by little evidence, that the crash was not an accident.

Over the next two months, prosecutors appointed by Poland’s right-wing governing party plan to examine the remains of 83 of the 96 people who died in the crash, starting with the former president, Lech Kaczynski, and his wife, Maria.

[...]

The [Law and Justice] party has long insisted that investigations by Poland’s former government and the Russian authorities failed to unearth the true cause of the crash. Reopening the investigation was one of the first acts of the new government after assuming power a year ago.

[...]

In the years after the crash, a team of experts led by Antoni Macierewicz, who is now the defense minister, claimed that the plane had been brought down by explosives brought on board.

Experts working with Mr. Macierewicz even suggested that Russia had pumped artificial fog over the runway. They tried to prove their theories, in one instance, by boiling sausages and noting that the split along the length of a cooked sausage matched a gash in the plane’s fuselage, indicating that high heat was involved.

Read more at ... http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/15/world/europe/poland-exhumes-lech-kaczynski.html?_r=0

Respectfully, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't an accident in today's world, but boiling a sausage, artificial fog? Lots of planes have crashed in fog.

The bodies of Poland’s former president and his wife were exhumed Monday evening as part of an investigation into an April 2010 plane crash in Russia that killed the couple

Good God,

let them RIP,

investigation or not, i would never want my corpse dug up once i am 6 or 8 feet under

If someone had gotten away with murdering me, I don't think I'd have a problem with being exhumed to increase the odds of catching them. Not like I'm using my remains anymore. MOO

I'm not sure but they're gonna have a really hard time finding a sausage-fuselage expert.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back