Nothing new found April 10

Examiner.com article re search with photos:

Search in West Desert for Susan Cox Powell: Initial report (Slideshow)

April 10, 2010 - Professional search teams, Susan's friends and family, and others, all got up at the crack of dawn Saturday to meet at 5 a.m. to join together in a ground, and air, search effort to find clues into the disappearance of Susan Cox Powell. Chuck Cox, Susan's father, was not able to be there because he was finally able to see Susan's children Saturday... click here for article.

Poweredparachutes4.png

Examiner.com article re search with photos:

Search in West Desert for Susan Cox Powell: Initial report (Slideshow)

April 10, 2010 - Professional search teams, Susan's friends and family, and others, all got up at the crack of dawn Saturday to meet at 5 a.m. to join together in a ground, and air, search effort to find clues into the disappearance of Susan Cox Powell. Chuck Cox, Susan's father, was not able to be there because he was finally able to see Susan's children Saturday... click here for article.

Poweredparachutes4.png
bbm
Wasn't that convenient for Josh. I am sure them wanting to search for their daughter would not be a good enough excuse for them to cancel,seeing the boys, in Josh's eyes.

Expert search teams head to West Desert in search of Susan Powell

Top stories of 2009, Extra: The search for Susan Powell

Photo Gallery » (13 pics)
more photos »
Searchers comb West Desert for signs of Susan Powell
April 10th, 2010 @ 5:30pm
By Alex Cabrero

TOOELE COUNTY -- The search for Susan Powell continued Saturday, this time with a large, coordinated effort by search and rescue professionals.

The mother of two from West Valley City was reported missing in early December.

Josh Powell, Susan's husband and the only person of interest in this case, told investigators he was camping at Simpson Springs with his two children the night his wife disappeared. Searchers decided that's where they should start.

By foot, by truck and even by air, searchers looked everywhere they could for any sign of Susan.

"This world is such an awful place already. It's good to have people actually care and want to make a difference, you know what I mean?" Vigil said.

No one has seen Powell since Dec. 6. Her friends say it's been tough feeling so hopeless.

But Saturday, there was hope.
Jennifer Graves, Josh Powell's sister

"I can't even describe the feelings that I felt today," said Susan's best friend Kiirsi Hellewell. "These people don't know Susan. They're complete strangers to her, but they have put so much time, money and effort into this and it's just so touching."

It took just one look at how much land is in the Simpson Springs area of Tooele County for searchers to realize it would be a challenge.

"It's kind of like looking for a needle in a haystack when you're not sure if the needle is in this particular haystack," said searcher Maria Dedominicis.

Even though family and friends of Susan know that the chances of finding anything in an area this big are remote, they still appreciate what the searchers are doing for them.

"It actually brings a lot of emotion, and I'm just really grateful for the love and support and the help," said Jennifer Graves, Josh Powell's sister. "You just can't say thank you enough."

Searchers said it was the least they could do to help.

"If it was my family, it'd be nice to know I had people helping me out as well," said Bridgerland Fire Company Chief Jon Watkins.

Unfortunately, even with all the effort, no clues were found. The team wrapped up their search around 5 p.m.

Josh Powell did not participate in the search.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=10343508

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-massive-search-for-susan-empty-handed,0,3627934.story

SALT LAKE CITY - A massive search effort in Utah's West Desert as volunteers tried to solve the mystery of missing West Valley Woman, Susan Powell. About 50 searchers gathered in Rush Valley in Tooele County where Powell's husband told investigators he took their children camping in a snowstorm the night she went missing. Susan Powell has not been seen since December 2009.

A family friend of Susan's family said the kindness is overwhelming. "I think the biggest thing that this will do is make us not feel alone," Shelby Gifford said.

The search group came up empty handed at the end of the day with no sign or clues of Susan's remains. "While on the one hand I really want her to be found so we can have some closure. At the same time, it's going to be a very sad day when they find her," Susan's best friend Kiirsi Hellewell said.

There are no more large scale searches planned at this time. Volunteers say they hope that investigators can at least cross the area off their list.

Search fails to find Susan Cox Powell
Reported by: Brent Hunsaker

Simpson Springs monument and structure near the campgrounds in Tooele County, Utah. (Bureau of Land Management)
Monument near Simpson Springs campground. (Bureau of Land Management)
SIMPSON SPRINGS CAMPGROUND, Utah (ABC 4 News) - Four months after Susan Cox Powell disappeared from her West Valley home, on Saturday a search was mounted in the Simpson Springs area of Tooele County. Susan's husband, Josh, has said he took his boys camping at Simpson Springs the night she vanished.

Though West Valley Police detectives have spent "thousands of hours searching above the ground, on the ground and below the ground" at Simpson Spring, this was the first public search.

Not that the general public was welcome. After running into a host of concerns about a massive volunteer search in such a remote area, they limited it to only about 70-qualified search and rescue personnel. "I am really comfortable with that decision. I think it was the right decision," said Shelby Gifford, a close friend of Susan's family. Gifford came down from Washington to represent the family at the search. She said, "It's impressive to see all the tools out here that they'll be using today and just their willingness to do it. They're just so generous. It's good for my soul just to see everybody out here looking for Susan.""

Gifford told ABC 4 that Judy and Chuck Cox also wanted to be present for the search, but stayed in Puyallup, Washington to see their grandchildren, Charlie and Braden. It was the first time they'd been able to arrange a visit with Josh in more than three months. "There is important and then there is important," said Gifford. "They will be spending their time with Charlie and Braden and that's what Susan would prefer."

The volunteers split up into teams and spread out to their designated search area just after dawn.

Joining searchers on the ground were specially trained dogs. Joyce Ann Fett and her dog, Lacy, came from Rock Springs, Wyoming to walk among the Pinyon Juniper and Sagebrush.

And in the air, 7 powered parachutes flew low and slow identifying sites that needed closer inspection.

The day ended for searchers just after 4:00 p.m. They had turned over to Tooele County Sheriff's deputies the locations of several "items of interest." But none of those items appeared to hold the promise of revealing the fate of Susan Cox Powell. This search was a beginning, but not an end.

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/to...-Susan-Cox-Powell/4JVOjKlbOUeoHdIImIkwAA.cspx

The dogs may have found something belonging to Susan! Another dog confirmed. Hearing of this search being done makes me hopeful now that Susan's going to be found. Happy the Coxes got to spend time with the boys.

I just heard don the news nothing was seen in the search. I also heard the husband moved to the Seattle area.

bbm
Wasn't that convenient for Josh. I am sure them wanting to search for their daughter would not be a good enough excuse for them to cancel,seeing the boys, in Josh's eyes.

I've been trying not to read anything into this odd coincidence, that the first time Josh allows the Cox family to see Susan's boys in months prevents them attending the search, but it does feel like a nasty spiteful way for Josh to cause more anguish. Absolutely no reason their visit could not have been any other time, with Josh and the whole Powell clan sitting at home unemployed.

The Cox's could not have joined in the search, but they could have stood with Jennifer, Kiirsi and the others who attended, and shared memories of Susan, and been on hand should anything have turned up.

I've been trying not to read anything into this odd coincidence, that the first time Josh allows the Cox family to see Susan's boys in months prevents them attending the search, but it does feel like a nasty spiteful way for Josh to cause more anguish. Absolutely no reason their visit could not have been any other time, with Josh and the whole Powell clan sitting at home unemployed.

The Cox's could not have joined in the search, but they could have stood with Jennifer, Kiirsi and the others who attended, and shared memories of Susan, and been on hand should anything have turned up.

Not only did he prevent the Coxes from joining the search, but he gave himself the perfect excuse not to attend.

Not only did he prevent the Coxes from joining the search, but he gave himself the perfect excuse not to attend.
Also managed to divert media attention from the visit. Wonder why he'd prefer that.

Arghhhhh - this makes me so angry!

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/blogs/story/Brent-Hunsaker-Susan-Powells-parents-finally-see/LXWiZ61De06zEn9eRBOUag.cspx
Brent Hunsaker - Susan Powell's parents finally see their grandkids
Reported by: Brent Hunsaker
Last Update: 4/11 10:05 am

Chuck and Judy Cox, the parents of Susan Cox Powell who disappeared from her West Valley home in early December of last year, had a wonderful visit with their grandkids on Saturday in a Puyallup park. It was the first visit they’d been able to arrange with Josh in more than 3 months.

(They’d had a couple chance encounters with them around town, but nothing where they could spend quality time with the boys.)

Shelby said Josh was there and was … well … Josh.

Also there was Josh’s father, Steve, who was taking pictures of the Cox grandparents with [grandsons].

That must have been awkward – kind of like being at Disneyland. You can’t just enjoy the experience; it has to be documented on digital media. And in this case, the photos were being snapped by someone who hasn’t shown any sympathy with what’s happened; the mother of those two boys has been missing now for more than 4 months.

I hope I am wrong about this. I am just wondering out loud here. Do you think those photos could … somehow … end up on the Internet? They could be used as “proof” that Josh is being a good guy and letting his kids see their maternal grandparents – even though there is no law that forces him to allow visitation.

If the pictures do show up on a certain website, that would be another kind of proof – proof of who is behind that website. (Like we don’t already know.)

I admit that in the past I have been critical of Josh and his apparent willingness to use visitation as a tool to punish the Cox grandparents.

After all, back in January, the Cox family started turning up the heat on Josh by publicly challenging their son-in-law to step up and cooperate fully with the West Valley Police. Then in early February, the gloves really came off when they accused Josh of being an abusive husband – emotionally, psychologically and at least on one occasion, physically.

I hope yesterday’s visit for Chuck and Judy was just the first of many, frequent visits with their grandkids.

I hope … it wasn’t a one-time “photo op.”

The Powell family is a real piece of work.

Kids thinking about getting married really need to understand the concept that they're marrying the potential spouse AND his/her family. What a bunch of psychos!

How in the world did Jennifer Graves turn out like she did?

The presence of Stephen Powell is a bit of a giveaway, there was no need for him to be there.

This suggests to me that Josh and Stephen had been coaching Susan's boys not to say anything about their mother or her disappearance, but wanted to be present throughout the visit in case one of them started chatting anyway.

I hope it's just the start of more regular visits, but if the Powells insist on being present throughout the quality of the meetings will suffer. Quaklity time with a hostile audience.

Your not the only one that thinks it's strange. Pop P taking pics, etc. Yes, I would say there is "their" strategy involved. I don't think anyone from the family or freinds could have done much even if they did find something. Everything would have to be tested at this point. I don't think the 3 women who went out there had any business in a professional search. Just distraction.

Photographing the grandparents and their interaction with the kids?

This is a classic intimidation tactic that Josh's father probably discovered in his own lengthy battle with his ex-wife. You just know that those photos could be cropped in an odd way or some argument made that the grandparents aren't a good enough influence or that the kids don't prefer being with them. Plus, the grandparents get to know that their every move is being watched.

The Powell's are sort of beyond words in their behavior, which just makes Josh look guiltier.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back