Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: MA - Jon Hemingway, 36, Nantucket, 17 March 2010 - #2

MA - Jon Hemingway, 36, Nantucket, 17 March 2010 - #2

Please continue here.

Reminders: WS is a victim friendly forum. Any sleuthing of family members must be consistent with information released by LE and/or mainstream media. That means discussing inconsistencies in stories, etc. that have been published by the mainstream media is allowed, but it must be respectful. There is to be no bashing, no telling other posters what they can or can not do. If you feel a post violates TOS, hit the alert button in the top right corner of the post and MOVE on.

Thanks,

Salem

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Salem For This Useful Post:

Thank you, Salem!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nadjatheresa For This Useful Post:

Here is the link to the first thread:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98474"]MA MA - Jon Hemingway, 36, Overboard, Nantucket MA 03-17-10 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

O/T Salem I have been following a few cases here for quite a while now, and I wanted to tell you (now that I can), that I appreciate the way you link to the next thread more then you will ever know. It always opens in the same window

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Astraea For This Useful Post:

Nantucket Island, showing:

6 Field Avenue
    67 Surfside
    Where Katie B. beached
    Polpis Road (extended red line), along which Katie H. flipped her car

Last edited by truthsleuth; 04-12-2010 at 10:08 AM.
    The purity of a person's heart can be quickly
    measured by how they regard animals.
    Anonymous

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to truthsleuth For This Useful Post:

Would Jon have brought a male friend with him on the trip to Hyannis?

Kate mentioned Jon planning a "romantic evening". That would make us think the family was alone. Yet, how can you have a romantic evening while operating the boat safely, watching a movie with the kids, etc. (as other posters have pointed out). I'm thinking that phrase is a "red herring" at the end of scallop season.

It was mentioned in several news articles that Kate tried to calm down their children who were screaming? Was there a struggle going on up on deck above them?

Could another adult(s) on board have turned the outboard motor to the right so as to go in slow circles and search for Jon? If there was an argument or roughhousing?
    Last edited by GoodAim; 04-12-2010 at 10:16 AM.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GoodAim For This Useful Post:

I guess, when all was said and done, if Katie wanted to paint a more positive light on the relationship and events of the night, she might have "embellished" the story to say it was supposed to be a romantic evening.

It's starting to sound more like maybe this was an impulsive decision on Jon's part, but predictable in the context of their private relationship. Maybe an attempt to prevent something from happening, or to protect Katie, or an extension of an argument that began by phone. Who knows who the new "friend" was (the one who posted on FB) or what they pulled over on state police---but that could well be a factor.

If the rollover is true, it sounds like maybe there was a pattern.

But I wonder if there is any chance that Katie suffered from post-partum depression, the baby only being 1 year. Also I wonder if she was still nursing the baby.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nadjatheresa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by truthsleuth View Post
    Nantucket Island, showing:

6 Field Avenue
    67 Surfside
    Where Katie B. beached
    Polpis Road (extended red line), along which Katie H. flipped her car
    Thruthsleuth, Polpis Road would be a shortcut from where to where?

If she rolled the car after a fight, would it mean she left from home? Any reason for the red line extending west?

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nadjatheresa For This Useful Post:

nadjatheresa,

Maybe Katie was heading to the northeast coast of Nantucket, or was just driving blindly through a rather unpopulated section of the island (big open spaces of nothing).

The beginning of Polpis is very close to 6 Field Avenue, the Hemingway's home/business, but the far end of Polpis is simply near not much of anything. From what I can see, Polpis Road ends and turns into Sankaty Road before Polpis ever reaches the beach. (And to answer your question about Polpis extending west, Polpis doesn't head any further west than shown in the map above.)

Click below to see the end of Polpis near the ocean.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by truthsleuth; 04-12-2010 at 04:58 PM.
    Anonymous

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to truthsleuth For This Useful Post:

It would be good to get clarification or more details on the alleged rollover.
    Missing Persons Case Archive Albums ~ http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/m...nkycrankerson/

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crocus For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by crocus View Post
    It would be good to get clarification or more details on the alleged rollover.
    Yes, does anyone happen to have access to a copy of the police blotter? Maybe an old newspaper laying around?

Or would anyone be willing to share anything more they've heard about it?

Were there any charges?

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nadjatheresa For This Useful Post:

On the last thread, from the last couple of posts, there is talk about DSS being involved.
    Post# 791 -793
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...=98474&page=32

Why would DSS be involved? Am I missing something here?
    Missing Persons Case Archive Albums ~ http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/m...nkycrankerson/

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crocus For This Useful Post:

Hmmm.....well, does anyone know if there's any particular place on Poplis where Kate might have been heading? Friends or business?

I had another idea. What if there was some run-in with police in Hyannis and Kate called Jon but they had an argument and the upshot was Kate made arrangements for someone else---not Jon---to boat over and pick her up. Then she told Jon, whose knee-jerk reaction was to head that one off at the pass by insisting he and nobody else would get her.

That could explain the suddenness of his trip and also, maybe, why Kate used the word "romantic" in the revisionist version.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nadjatheresa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nadjatheresa View Post
    Hmmm.....well, does anyone know if there's any particular place on Poplis where Kate might have been heading? Friends or business?

I had another idea. What if there was some run-in with police in Hyannis and Kate called Jon but they had an argument and the upshot was Kate made arrangements for someone else---not Jon---to boat over and pick her up. Then she told Jon, whose knee-jerk reaction was to head that one off at the pass by insisting he and nobody else would get her.

That could explain the suddenness of his trip and also, maybe, why Kate used the word "romantic" in the revisionist version.
    It's possible there was someone Katie knew out on Polpis, but angry drivers in general just get in the car and go. It's all very unplanned. She could have driven through local streets and more populated areas and been ticketed, but by taking Polpis, she had a long road ahead of her with few people living on or near it, and it runs through a good part of the center of the island.

I'm not a betting person (well, a little ), but I'm thinking Katie flipped the car at the big curve on Polpis Road, about 3/4 of the way to the end (before it becomes Sankaty Rd.) after running her car at full speed from the beginning of Polpis, mid-island.
    Anonymous

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to truthsleuth For This Useful Post:

On the map above and the rollover road location:

Polpis Road is really not close to Field Avenue or Surfside Road, as neither connects to Polpis Road.

From Nantucket Town's main rotary that leads to the airport or to 'Sconset (a settlement at the east end of the island), there are two routes to get to 'Sconset. One is Milestone Road (the only state highway on the island, about 6 miles), and a straight shot to 'Sconset along the stretch you see in the map above, under where you see Split Rock; and the other road to 'Sconset is Polpis Road, which is a long and winding road heading a bit northeast or so, to get to 'Sconset eventually, as well.

Unless Katie was going to visit a friend, or coming back from visiting a friend, or visiting or coming back from visiting a client, or just going for a sort of long, out of the way drive, it would be unusual for Katie to be on Polpis road without a specific mission, from her home or business locations.

Surfside Road, where the Hemingway barn is located, connects directly with main roads into town and the grocery, and Field Avenue's access is onto and off of Surside Road as well.
    Last edited by CapeCodder; 04-12-2010 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Removing text from a Facebook post by Katie

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CapeCodder For This Useful Post:

Being new to Websleuths, I'm curious as to why a second thread was started on this missing person. Any particular reason?

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CapeCodder For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CapeCodder View Post
    Being new to Websleuths, I'm curious as to why a second thread was started on this missing person. Any particular reason?
    Once the thread gets a lot of posts the software can start acting a little "off". At least that is my understanding of it

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Astraea For This Useful Post:

suzyq211 is offline Someone knows what happened to Robert Harrod!
    The first thread got too long, thats all! :-)
    Robert Harrod will be found.

All my posts are MOO and nothing but MOO!!!!

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to suzyq211 For This Useful Post:

On the map above and the rollover road location:

Polpis Road is really not close to Field Avenue or Surfside Road, as neither connects to Polpis Road.

From Nantucket Town's main rotary that leads to the airport or to 'Sconset (a settlement at the east end of the island), there are two routes to get to 'Sconset. One is Milestone Road (the only state highway on the island, about 6 miles), and a straight shot to 'Sconset along the stretch you see in the map above, under where you see Split Rock; and the other road to 'Sconset is Polpis Road, which is a long and winding road heading a bit northeast or so, to get to 'Sconset eventually, as well.

Unless Katie was going to visit a friend, or coming back from visiting a friend, or visiting or coming back from visiting a client, or just going for a sort of long, out of the way drive, it would be unusual for Katie to be on Polpis road without a specific mission, from her home or business locations.

Surfside Road, where the Hemingway barn is located, connects directly with main roads into town and the grocery, and Field Avenue's access is onto and off of Surside Road as well.

Additionally, here is what I found posted on Katie's Facebook page on March 23, in honor of Jon:

In loving memory of Jonathan Adam Hemingway. 10/7/73-3/18/10.

"We buried him high on a windy hill, But his soul went out to sea.
    I know, for I heard, when all was still, His sea-soul say to me:
    Put no tombstone at my head, For here I do not make my bed.
    Straw no flowers on my grave, I've gone back to the wind and wave.
    Do not, do not weep for me, For I am happy with my sea."

-Langston Hughes
    On the Google aerial view map, the main thing on Polpis road along the curve where it's speculated the rollover occurred looks to be a large farm.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nadjatheresa For This Useful Post:

Hemingway’s friend Sam Slosek said any time he went out in his boat in Madaket, he’d notice that Hemingway’s boat was already out of its slip.
    “Whether he was scalloping, tuna fishing, musseling, lobstering or you name it, and he went for it,” Slosek said. “I think he really loved lobstering most, though. I think it appealed to his relaxed and solitary nature. Without a doubt, I will miss spending time on the Katie B. pulling pots with Jon.”

Friends described Tuckernuck as Hemingway’s personal retreat from the world, where he would take his family, or simply go to enjoy the solitude by himself.
    “He loved that little island and it loved him,” said Amy Manning.

“Tuckernuck and Madaket are going to be very different and lonely places for me without knowing my friend Jon Hemingway is somewhere out there,” Slosek said. “I loved having his family and ours together on that island. It is a tradition that I know he will want to have carried on.”

http://www.ack.net/hemingway032510.html

Slosek runs Moors End Farm, which is on Polpis. http://www.farmfresh.org/food/farm.php?farm=1445
    Last edited by crocus; 04-12-2010 at 03:17 PM.

38. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to crocus For This Useful Post:

Slosek runs Moors End Farm, which is on Polpis.
    Of course. The younger Slosek family there is a family like the Hemingway family, with a young child. Makes sense that Katie may have been going out to visit with them, or even to pick up landscaping supplies, which Moors End has so very much of (but not necessarily at the time of year the event happened).

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CapeCodder For This Useful Post:

Hmmm....maybe she was visiting Sam?

42. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nadjatheresa For This Useful Post:

Of course. The younger Slosek family there is a family like the Hemingway family, with a young child. Makes sense that Katie may have been going out to visit with them, or even to pick up landscaping supplies, which Moors End has so very much of (but not necessarily at the time of year the event happened).
    Sorry that I cross posted with you. That makes more sense if there is a younger family with children. I had only seen Sam's name in the article.

But I hope her children weren't in the car when the rollover occurred.

44. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nadjatheresa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nadjatheresa View Post
    Hmmm....maybe she was visiting Sam?
    Or maybe Jon was visiting Sam?

46. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crocus For This Useful Post:

BBM

Noted!

48. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crocus For This Useful Post:

Or maybe Jon was visiting Sam?
    Yes, that's what I was just thinking, too. Remember the original poster indicated Kate was angry and sped off erratically. Quite different from taking the children for a play date.

Maybe Jon was over there, she wanted him to come home, a phone argument ensued....?

Who was the primary caregiver for the children, or was it equal?

50. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nadjatheresa For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast