Reported by: Rudabeh Shahbazi
Email: RShahbazi@abc15.com
Reported by: Rebecca Thomas
Reported by: ABC15.com staff, wire reports
Last Update: 3:00 pm

Mom in missing Tempe baby case a no-show in court
Court records paint new picture in Tempe missing baby case
Court records paint new picture in Tempe missing baby case

Elizabeth and Gabriel PHOENIX -- The mother of an Arizona baby missing since December was placed in a Phoenix jail's psychiatric unit for evaluation after officials say she assaulted two fellow inmates and claimed a disciplinary food regime was starving her.

Jailers say they placed 23-year-old Elizabeth Johnson on their so-called nutra-loaf program after she was accused of the assaults.

The loaves consist of dry milk powder, fruits and vegetables, chili powder, and bread dough compacted into a solid brick-like form; they are served to inmates twice a day.

Sheriff's officials say Johnson gave them a will she wrote after being put on the program, claiming that she is starving and refuses to eat the loaves because they're "full of rotten vegetables and worms."

Maricopa County Sheriff's Office spokesman Lt. Brian Lee said her diet program was changed from the standard sack lunch in the morning and hot meal in the evening after she became "a management issue."

According to Lee, in one case Johnson threw Windex into a fellow inmate's eye. It is unclear what happened in the second alleged assault.

http://www.abc15.com/content/news/s...by-in-trouble-for/6PhW8F-82kSl7PwFqFdGgw.cspx

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/local/elizabeth-johnson-a-problem-inmate-4-12-2010
"I will not tolerate prisoners abusing my officers or other inmates by throwing urine, feces, or assaulting them. For that type of behavior they will go on bread and water," said Arpaio

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Johnso...il-sent-to-psychiatric-facility-90685084.html
A spokesperson with the sheriff’s office says Jonson submitted a document titled “My Advanced Directive’s Will” to staff after being on the nutra-loaf program for several days. In the document Johnson says she refuses to eat the bread because she says it is full of rotten vegetables and worms

MCSO: Baby Gabriel Mom Assaulted Inmates
Elizabeth Johnson Sent To Psychiatric Unit

POSTED: 3:06 pm MST April 12, 2010
UPDATED: 3:34 pm MST April 12, 2010
<snipped>
Arpaio recently had said during media interviews that Johnson was a model inmate who had not created any problems.

Within the last week, however, Johnson was placed on Arpaio's controversial nutra-loaf program -- commonly referred to bread and water.

The loaves consist of nonfat dry milk powder, an assortment of fruits and vegetables, chili powder, and bread dough compacted into a brick-like loaf. The program gives inmates two loaves a day in isolation, rather than providing two regular meals consisting of a sack lunch in the morning and a hot meal in the evening.

The loaf program faced legal challenge in the case Bugoni vs. Coffman, which claimed it was unconstitutional punishment; however, when the federal judge granted summary judgment in favor of the Sheriff's Office on Friday, the issue was dismissed.

Arpaio said he started the loaf program 10 years ago as a means to prevent inmates from assaulting detention officers and other inmates. "I will not tolerate prisoners abusing my officers and other inmates by throwing urine, feces or assaulting them," Arpaio said. "For that type of behavior, they will go on bread and water."

Article:
http://www.kpho.com/news/23129173/detail.html

Mother of missing Ariz. baby placed in psych unit
April 12, 2010, 6:10PM
<snipped>
The mother of an Arizona baby missing since December was placed in a Phoenix jail's psychiatric unit for evaluation after she claimed a disciplinary food regime was starving her and allegedly assaulted two fellow inmates, officials said Monday. Elizabeth Johnson, 23, was placed on the so-called nutra-loaf program Friday as punishment after she was accused of assaulting two female inmates by spraying them with window cleaner on Thursday. They were not injured.

Arpaio said Johnson gave jail officials a will she wrote after being put on the program, claiming that she was starving. She said she refused to eat the loaves because they're "full of rotten vegetables and worms."

He said Johnson also wrote that she doesn't want to donate her organs and that she wants to be cremated and buried next to her mother's grave. That prompted her jailers to place her in the psychiatric unit on Saturday to be evaluated. She remained in the unit Monday and was being fed normal jail food.

"She was a model inmate, but evidently maybe the jail conditions have gotten to her," said Arpaio, who calls himself America's toughest sheriff. "I don't know what her agenda is," Arpaio said. "Maybe her conscience has gotten to her, but she sure doesn't like being incarcerated in our jail."

Tammi Smith, a north Scottsdale woman who wanted to adopt Gabriel from Johnson, also is charged in the case, although police said she was not connected to the boy's disappearance. Smith has pleaded not guilty to charges of felony forgery and conspiracy to commit custodial interference.

Both women were scheduled for court hearings on Friday.

Article:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/6955676.html

Missing Baby's Mom Goes on Hunger Strike
Read Elizabeth Johnson's will

Updated: Monday, 12 Apr 2010, 7:17 PM MDT
Published : Monday, 12 Apr 2010, 7:16 PM MDT
<snipped>
23-year-old Elizabeth Johnson, the woman imprisoned for kidnapping her son Gabriel and refusing to tell police where he is, has gone on a hunger strike and written a will to prepare for her death.

My Advanced Directive & Will (dated 4/9/2010)
I am writing my advanced directive and will because I am incarcerated in Estrella jail and they are starving me and serving rotten food with worms in it. I haven't eaten in over 7 days and barely can write this. The water&#8230; makes us sick. I feel they will let me starve to death rather than feeding me safe, edible food. I don't want an autopsy, I do not wish to donate any organs/body parts. That is against my religion. I wish my grandmother be contacted [phone number] only. I wish to be cremated right away, put in a box not an urn and brought to mass to be buried above my mother's grave. I know my grandmother Sylvia [last name] will arrange this for me. White lilies for me is all. I don't think I'll have time to have my lawyer notarize this because I am starving and so weak and dehydrated so I will put a tank order in for a notary. I love you Marzzy. I am sorry be happy for us.
Sincerely, Elizabeth Johnson

Article:
http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/local/elizabeth-johnson-hunger-strike-4-12-2010

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmdigital
Back