1224 users online (238 members and 986 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

IL - Rachel Mellon Skemp, 13, Bolingbrook, 31 Jan 1996

I ran across a reference to this missing child and it is really pulling at my heartstrings. What happened to this beautiful 13 year old girl who was obviously loved by so many people, and vanished into thin area (if her stepfather's story is to be believed).

Rachel Mellon Skemp

http://www.angelfire.com/mi3/mpccn/mellon.html

imo

Rachels Birthday was October 13th

Rachel mellon who has been missing almost 9 years had a birthday October 13th- but I was ill and forgot to bump her.

Please go to Rachels website and think about this child for a moment. She is loved and missed.

www.rachelfind.com

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RACHEL :HappyBday :HappyBday :HappyBday :HappyBday

Bumping for Rachel.......................

Investigators may have ruled out a link between human bones found on Chicago's South Side and two high-profile missing children cases.

Also, teeth recovered with the remains do not match the dental records of Rachel Mellon, another victim of an unsolved investigation.

DNA tests still need to be completed for further information.
    http://www.nbc5.com/news/4455548/detail.html
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

I don't understand the following:
    Rachel ran away and stayed at a friend's home over a year before her 1996 disappearance. She voluntarily returned home shortly after her departure.
    Does that mean she ran away, returned home, but lived with friends for a year? Why? Did it have anything to do with this:
    Vince has been considered a possible suspect in her case for several years. He has a long record for domestic violence
    Stepdad sounds suspicious to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E
    I don't understand the following:

Does that mean she ran away, returned home, but lived with friends for a year? Why? Did it have anything to do with this:

Stepdad sounds suspicious to me.

The wording of that article is confusing but I think that they mean that a year before she disappeared in 1996 she ran away and stayed with a friend but came back home shortly after she ran away. That is what I got after reading it several times.

I notice that the police don't think that the stepdad checked on Rachel after he came back from walking the dog. He says he DID check on her though BUT her disappearance wasn't phoned in until 5:00 and he walked the dog in the afternoon???? If he checked on Rachel and noticed that she wasn't in her bed or in the house...that she was missing why didn't he call LE then? Why wait until the mom and other family members arrived home at 5:00 and they noticed that she was gone...then make the call???

The stepdad said that Rachel had on sweatpants...shirt...slippers when she took a nap in the afternoon and that she was home sick from school. He also says that she didn't take a coat, shoes, socks when/if she left and it was
    freezing outside. I can't imagine anyone leaving home without taking a coat and shoes/socks when it is freezing outside. If Rachel decided to split when the stepdad took the dog for a walk you would think she would have grabbed her heavy coat and warm shoes/socks. If she had just been waiting for him to leave she would have been up the second he got down the street and probably would have had her stuff ready to go before hand. Someone must have taken Rachel from the house without her permission. She's been gone way to long to have left on her own and never look back...I would think anyway unless she would have been running from someone that might have been abusing her and she felt that she could never go back. Probably not though....where would she go? I hope this case gets solved someday. Rachel deserves justice and her probable killer deserves to be in prison no matter who he is.

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/1592dfil.html
    The Doe Network page (above link) has photos of Rachel

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/h..._MELLON_S3.htm

Timeline of the disappearance of Rachel Mellon.

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/lo...028215808.html

10 years later family has a memorial service for Rachel Mellon to say goodbye.

Great photos (and a video) of Rachel at link.

Quote Originally Posted by PonderingThings
    http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/lo...028215808.html

10 years later family has a memorial service for Rachel Mellon to say goodbye.

Great photos (and a video) of Rachel at link.
    This memorial service leaves me with a very bad feeling. I am not a parent but I can not imagine I would ever have a memorial service for a child of mine if there was any chance this child was alive. I would have vigils, fundraisers and numerous other gatherings but not "a memorial to say goodbye". I could never ever say goodbye without a body or difinitive dna evidence. I understand the need for a family to go on and desire an ending to this nightmare . I just don't see how a parent can say goodbye under these cirucmstances. I should not pass judgment on these parents. However, with the suspicion sourrounding the father I feel my feelings about this memorial have merit.

mjak

mjak I had the same "impression" as you.... perhaps its not really a "goodbye" even though that's how the article was worded, as much as it is a "till we find you"?

Quote Originally Posted by PonderingThings
    mjak I had the same "impression" as you.... perhaps its not really a "goodbye" even though that's how the article was worded, as much as it is a "till we find you"?
    The titel of the article is "Family Says Goodbye To Girl Who Disappeared".
    The photos look like the set up for a memorial service for someone who has died.
    It would appear the parents intentions were to say good bye.

mjak

Omg

Its so obvious that the stepfather killed her, I cant believe this case hasnt been solved!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mjak
    I should not pass judgment on these parents. However, with the suspicion sourrounding the father I feel my feelings about this memorial have merit.
    There's no suspicion of Rachel's father -- he was in Texas when Rachel disappeared. It's her STEPfather who's considered a possible suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by meggilyweggily
    There's no suspicion of Rachel's father -- he was in Texas when Rachel disappeared. It's her STEPfather who's considered a possible suspect.
    Thank you for pointing this out to me. Someone else also pointed it
    out to me also. I did have it confused in my head. That does make it less
    uncomfortable for me.

mjak

Why would the mother and stepfather move from the area in the same year that the daughter went missing. I can't imagine moving...what if my daughter tried to contact me or came home? Kind of like Scott Peterson selling Laci's vehicle and trying to sell the house furnished....he knew she wasn't coming back. The mother must not suspect the stepfather but my money would be on him. He failed a lie detector test???? There had been problems in the home before and the daughter had run away before...I wonder why? I hope that whoever did something to this young girl is found out and severly punished. It sounds like LE isn't giving up on finding out what happened to her.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast