1102 users online (215 members and 887 guests)  

Websleuths News

View Poll Results: Is Elizabeth's Jail Food Cruel & Unusual Punishment?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 7.95%
  • No

79 89.77%
  • It depends - please post dependencies

0 0%
  • I just don't know

2 2.27%

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Is Elizabeth's Jail Food Cruel & Unusual Punishment?

Is Elizabeth's Jail Food Cruel & Unusual Punishment?

Please bring in:
    - the court cases for this nutri-loaf at Estrella
    - the nutritional information on the food
    - the nutritional requirements for the average person

UGH.
    Check out this article, picture included...

Taste-Testing Nutraloaf...
    (The prison food that just might be unconstitutionally bad):

http://www.slate.com/id/2193538

Last edited by smart blonde; 04-13-2010 at 01:05 PM.
    .... ....... My posts are my opinion, only.

Quote Originally Posted by smart blonde View Post
    UGH.
    Check out this article, picture included...

Taste-Testing Nutraloaf...
    (The prison food that just might be unconstitutionally bad):

http://www.slate.com/id/2193538

This article certainly highlights how disgusting it looks to be. But if it is nutritionally sound, I don't see how that is a violation of a prisoner's rights. They need to be provided food with nutritional value, not haute cuisine.

That said, I do not condone worms being in the bread, so if there really were worms in EJ's loaves, the jail needs to do something about that.

From the article:

The loaf provides a full day's nutrients

That's all I needed to know. Not unconstitutional. Perfectly fine. They're prisoners. That's more than some hungry children in this country get.

I say as long as they are getting the calories they need to sustain life, then so be it.

After all, my hubby was in the US Army for over 10 years, deployed on numerous occasions, and I can pretty much asure you all that some of the MRE's they were given to eat had to be worse than a silly little nutraloaf.

Quote Originally Posted by Boo Scout View Post
    This article certainly highlights how disgusting it looks to be. But if it is nutritionally sound, I don't see how that is a violation of a prisoner's rights. They need to be provided food with nutritional value, not haute cuisine.

That said, I do not condone worms being in the bread, so if there really were worms in EJ's loaves, the jail needs to do something about that.
    Let's see if we can find anyone other than Elizabeth claiming there are worms in the food.

I suggest revieing the totality of the situation. Then, interview some troops in Iraq or Afghanistan and ask them their opinions.

I think she has it pretty darn good.

1) I would think that with Sheriff Joe being such a high profile person, he would make sure that there were no bugs in "the loaf".
    2) The loaf is nutritionally balanced, so although not tasty, it provides better nutrients than the junk food they can get from commissary. (Hey EJ, have you ever eaten cheap hot dogs - do you know what's in THEM?)
    3) The constitution doesn't say that prison food has to taste good. If you don't want to be served "the loaf", then just BEHAVE!

Quote Originally Posted by flyonthewall View Post
    I suggest revieing the totality of the situation. Then, interview some troops in Iraq or Afghanistan and ask them their opinions.

I think she has it pretty darn good.
    Amen to that!!! She gets to shower everday too!!
    "Be part of something bigger than yourself"
    "As I have walked through this lifetime, I have realized things are not as they seem. People are not as they seem. Only clues are given about their secret lives and their loved ones are shocked even though the signs were there. Tread carefully in this lifetime and act swiftly to protect yourself and the ones you love."

One other thing from the article:

served in state prisons around the country

This is no special torture done just in the one little jail that EJ happens to be in right now. It's nationwide, standard.

And nutritious!!

After what this girl has done...she's lucky she hasn't been put on a whipping post and flogged!
    Elizabeth, eat the danm bread or tell them where Gabriel is, the choice is yours!

The loaf program was just upheld in court Friday when a federal judge issued a grant of summary judgment in favor of the Sheriff’s Office. The case, Bugoni vs. Coffman claiming the Sheriff’s nutra-loaf was unconstitutional punishment was dismissed.

http://www.mcso.org/include/pr_pdf/E...%20Release.pdf

Another interesting article w/ lovely photo...
    (actually, this pic doesn't make it look as bad as the other one)

'Nutraloaf: Jailbirds' Punishment in the Can' :

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,342772,00.html

.... ....... My posts are my opinion, only.

I wouldn't say it's cruel and/or unusual but I will say that I don't blame her for not wanting to eat it. Looks freaking nasty and I'm sure it tastes worse then it looks. I also wouldn't be surprised if the vegetables were rotting like she claims. My dad was in jail (briefly) and he told me that most of the food was pretty questionable. Bologna smelled funny, bread was hard or moldy, he never mentioned the fruit/veggies though.

With that being said, her child is missing and/or dead and she doesn't seem to care much so honestly I don't really care what they feed her or if they even feed her at all.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast