IL IL - Wheaton, Hisp/NtvMale UP8492, 30-55, 'Little Nicky' sweatshirt, Apr'10

mtrooper

Verified SAR
Reaction score
http://www.examiner.com/x-7520-Chic...mains-found-in-popular-DuPage-forest-preserve

snip:
Human remains found in popular DuPage forest preserve

Human remains have been found in the Herrick Lake Forest Preserve in unincorporated Wheaton.

DuPage authorities are not saying much except to confirm remains were found earlier this afternoon. Investigators remained on the scene at 7 p.m.

Police began turning visitors away from the preserve at about 6 p.m. tonight saying only the preserve was closing early.

Herrick Lake is a popular preserve near Butterfield and Weisbrook roads. The remains were found not far from the main entrance off of Butterfield road, near a bike and walking trail. Yellow crime scene tape wrapped around trees to keep people away while investigators worked the scene.

In a brief statement, a DuPage County spokesperson said someone walking through the area found the remains this afternnon. There's no word on the age, sex or possible cause of death of the deceased.

Another article:

Human remains found at Herrick Lake
http://www.dailyherald.com/writers/?by=Daily Herald Staff Report

A Wheaton man gathering mushrooms Tuesday in a DuPage County Forest Preserve stumbled upon human skeletal remains.
Hours after the grisly discovery, deputies with the sheriff's forensic unit continued meticulously combing for clues inside Herrick Lake Forest Preserve off Butterfield Road near Wheaton.

<SNIP>

Authorities described the skeletal remains as severely decomposed and absent human tissue.
<SNIP>
Some weathered clothing was recovered, but the scene revealed few obvious clues about the person's gender, identity or how he or she died, officials said.

full article at link:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=372891

This is not far from where John Spira and Scott Anthony Arcaro went missing.
It is also not far from where Lisa Stebic and Stacy Peterson went missing.

Prayers to the local families with missing family members as they await identification of these remains.

The rebroadcast of the local ABC news indicates the spot the remains were found is visible from Butterfield Rd.

I wonder if the remaining clothing and shoes might help in a tentative id.

Would also like to know if these are female or male remains.

Article was updated since I posted earlier. Was last updated at 10:28 pm CST

First I am perplexed there are so few views to this thread....

Just some out loud thoughts from a local here in DuPage County.

The waiting.... those of us here in DuPage are quite used very close to the vest, limited DuPage press releases.
I know John Spira's sister immediately updated her blog hoping these remains are Johns and the family could find some closure and move to the justice phase of this nightmare....

As much as I wish this was John, for closure for the family my gut tells me it is not. I caught the rebroadcast of the ABC local news early this morning and they said the remains were visible from Butterfield Road.
That lead me to a few thoughts.

1) This might be missing person Scott Anthony Arcaro, missing from Lisle about the same time John went Missing.

2)This might be a homeless person. Yes, there are homeless people in DuPage County. There is a church almost directly across the street from the entrance to Herrick Lake Forest Preserve on Butterfield Rd. I wondered if this particular church participates in the PADS program for the homeless in DuPage County. If this church does participate in PADS, I could not find anything indicating this church is included in the PADS program but still wondered if perhaps someone who was homeless was unable to stay there, was kicked out of PADS..... Hence they went to stay at the forest preserve. I have personally witnessed what I believe to be homeless persons in DuPage County - who look like they are living in their car, sleeping during the day in the forest preserve parking lot while the forest preserve is open. Sad, but true. Homeless shelters here are only during certain seasons, with very limited beds and limited hours. I think I read only 65 beds are available during spring and summer seasons.

3) Maybe not a local person.

4) Herrick Rd, which runs N/S just west of the entrance has just as much, if not more tree coverage, more privacy. It would be more likely someone who did not want the remains discovered might have thought to dump someone along the FP off Herrick Rd. The location the body was found, tells me if foul play was involved this was someone local, who just wanted to get rid of a body from their car quickly. A street view from google maps shows there is no view from homes from the entrance to the FP a the north side of Butterfield road has tons of evergreen trees planted to offer homeowners privacy from Butterfield Rd. Plus it is unlikely anyone pulling into a FP parking lot and then leaving soon after would arouse suspicion.....

5) There are other rural- dumping spots-(sorry to have to put it that way) area's both east and west of Herrick Lake FP closer to the Toll Way and Express Way... this location is not the closest to main highways.... so probably local? Which leads me back to either a homeless person or Scott A'.

Still wondering why there is not much attention to this thread....
Simply out of curiosity.

I hope this person is identified quickly..... and some family can have some closure as well as justice.

Prayers for the DuPage investigators working this case.

There isn't much info there from DuPage if they are asking for help. No appx ht, no gender.

All we really know is this is someone who was missing no earlier than 2000 based on the logo on the shirt. That's a heck of a list of missing persons to go through for possible matches.

I wish DuPage would put out a little more info when they have it.

Does it normally take long to estimate ht or gender? The pelvis bones are different, shouldn't a gender be known already?

Or even race....

CarlK can you chime in?

There isn't much info there from DuPage if they are asking for help. No appx ht, no gender.

All we really know is this is someone who was missing no earlier than 2000 based on the logo on the shirt. That's a heck of a list of missing persons to go through for possible matches.

Does it normally take long to estimate ht or gender? The pelvis bones are different, shouldn't a gender be known already?

Or even race....

CarlK can you chime in?

One thing that comes to mind is that gender can be difficult to determine in the skeleton of an adolescent.

Question: Could the missing teeth be something that occurred either after death or during an assault? There's so much we don't know...guess we just have to be patient. But, I'm definitely interested in finding out more information about this case. Any new information you can supply will be most appreciated.

Hmmm,

Here is a possibility. They can tell if the teeth were lost before or after death by how the skull healed. If it was an open socket then it occured after death, if the socket was healed than it was before. I would think that it was mentioned because it would help with the identification.

Hi Cubby - it is strange that there are a lot of people in the area missing and this story isn't getting much attention. I live near the airport so that is why I am paying attention.

The missing front teeth and strange choice of sweatshirt sound like it could be a homeless person as you thought. They don't have the best dental hygiene and that sounds like it could be a donated sweatshirt. Or a young person.

Or even race....

CarlK can you chime in?

I would guess that they probably already have a pretty good idea what the gender and approximate age is at the time that they were collecting the remains from the scene. Those things are usually fairly easy to determine by a trained eye. Race is a little more difficult to determine. On the other hand, the characteristics upon which they determine gender are not always clear cut. There is some overlap - some males have female characteristics and vice versa. And the characteristics that indicate gender are not always consistent between races. All of the factors need to be evaluated collectively, and they would want a forensic anthropologist to make that determination and issue an official report.

One thing that comes to mind is that sometimes in situations like this, they already have a good idea who it is, and they hold their info close to the vest while they observe the behavior of possible perps. Sometimes, if a small amount of information is leaked to the public, the perps might get nervous and start behaving in an incriminating manner. And that behavior can be noted and used against them at a later date.

This eBay ad shows a sweatshirt with a "Little Nicky" logo, complete with a devil tail, on the upper left. Supposedly these were only given to film crew, but as has been previously mentioned that doesn't necessarily mean the UID was a film crew member. I've seen a lot of movie logo shirts turn up at church rummage sales and I assume they've been donated by theater employees who are given more shirts than they could ever use.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LITTLE-NICKY-SW...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item587a45998e

mtrooper, the link to the missing person you posted yesterday and then removed. Taht might not be that far off. Especially since the movie was filmed in NY and the person you linked was from NY.

Now, even though that person was listed at 130 lbs, someone wearing an oversized sweatshirt might not be far off. Especially if they were homeless. Anyone can wear an oversized shirt. Pants no, shirt very easily. I wonder if the pants found on this person were indicative they wore an XL size, or the pants were indicative of a smaller pant size?

I called Dawn Domrose who is listed at the above press release link, and she asked I forward the little nicky info/links we found. Which I will do. I'll also include the link to this thread when I email her.

Forgot to mention. I asked if an estimated ht was available yet, Dawn said not yet.... Also asked about the pants size... as anyone could wear an oversized shirt.

We'll see as new details become available.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back