The "Trophy" Jewelry Collection

Billylee

Reaction score
In People Magazines (dated April 19) article on Alcala, there is a picture of some of the jewelery he had collected. One thing I notice is what looks like a cuckoo clock, could have been either an earring or I'd guess more likely a pin. There is also what appears to be a pin of a baby carriage. (That really bothers me.) There also seems to be a small red heart with a white cameo in it and what appears to be a black onyx ring. It also shows the little case he kept them in, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if that belongs to one of his victims as well, red with a Japanese garden design. There is more, but I can't make them out well, and it appears there's even more than is shown in the People Magazine, as the photo appears to be cropped.

If LE really believes these are "trophies", I do not understand why pictures of this collection have not been released to the public. They are not sure about the pictures of the people they released, whether they are friends of his or his victims, but they seem damn sure this jewelery is from his victims, so why in the heck haven't they released pictures of the jewelry. :banghead:

Has anyone else picked up the magazine and can you make out any of the others?

One thing I'd like to know is whether he usually took both earrings, or if he tended to take just one. Because I never noticed it before, but there are a frightening number of Jane Does found with only one earring on them.

In People Magazines (dated April 19) article on Alcala, there is a picture of some of the jewelery he had collected. One thing I notice is what looks like a cuckoo clock, could have been either an earring or I'd guess more likely a pin. There is also what appears to be a pin of a baby carriage. (That really bothers me.) There also seems to be a small red heart with a white cameo in it and what appears to be a black onyx ring. It also shows the little case he kept them in, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if that belongs to one of his victims as well, red with a Japanese garden design. There is more, but I can't make them out well, and it appears there's even more than is shown in the People Magazine, as the photo appears to be cropped.

If LE really believes these are "trophies", I do not understand why pictures of this collection have not been released to the public. They are not sure about the pictures of the people they released, whether they are friends of his or his victims, but they seem damn sure this jewelery is from his victims, so why in the heck haven't they released pictures of the jewelry. :banghead:

Has anyone else picked up the magazine and can you make out any of the others?

Darn it. Earlier I was in the store and in a big hurry. man, I picked up STAR and not PEOPLE!

BillyLee, could they be from a charm bracelet? Ya know a baby carriage, and a clock etc?

Somewhere weather on Charley Project or Doe Network I read someone always wore a charm bracelet. You definately may be on to something with that. If that's what it is.

Can't check now, but I will surely be going back and looking where I saw that. Thanks, BL.

Darn it. Earlier I was in the store and in a big hurry. man, I picked up STAR and not PEOPLE!

BillyLee, could they be from a charm bracelet? Ya know a baby carriage, and a clock etc?

Somewhere weather on Charley Project or Doe Network I read someone always wore a charm bracelet. You definately may be on to something with that. If that's what it is.

Can't check now, but I will surely be going back and looking where I saw that. Thanks, BL.

Good idea, I hadn't thought of a charm bracelet. Looking with a magnifying glass it does look like the clock has a little loop on top, so maybe it's a necklace or from a charm bracelet. I don't see a loop on the baby carriage. Looks like as far as earrings go,there are both pairs of earrings and singles, and I don't recall too many women back then piercing only one ear.

I have the mag but other than what you've described I :detective: cant make anything else out. The earrings are all "post" style and they are laying sideways so it's hard to make out their tops...

I just ran out and got the mag to look. I wish the jewelry photo was bigger.

One thing I'd like to know is whether he usually took both earrings, or if he tended to take just one. Because I never noticed it before, but there are a frightening number of Jane Does found with only one earring on them.

This thread really interested me - they should release those photos! argh! to answer your question - at least once he took both (not that he allways did so):

"Prosecutors have relied on witnesses who saw Alcala taking pictures of Samsoe and her friend on the beach minutes before she disappeared. Her mother has also testified that a pair of gold ball earrings found in Alcala’s possession belonged to her daughter."

http://www.oclnn.com/orange-county/2010-02-22/courts-crime/prosecutor-alcala-stalked-killed-5-woman-during-70s

I do believe in looking again ( with a mag glass) that perhaps both the cuckoo clock and the baby carriage because of their size are both bracelet charms. Been looking around and this one looks similar to the baby carriage one. (second row from the bottom) http://vintagesilvercollecting.com/vintage-silver-baby/

Found this from a trial transcript:

In the Parenteau case, her jewelry box had been opened by the culprit and rifled. In the Lamb case, an earring had been removed from the victim-and later found in Alcala's souvenir pouch-just as an earring had allegedly been removed from Robin Samsoe and kept as a memento in Alcala's pouch alongside Lamb's earring.

Maybe just me, but I am leaning heavily toward these pictures NOT being anyone he actually murdered. Reasoning: Acala was a smart guy (though I'm no where near convinced he was some kind of genius!) so, that being said, how "smart" would he have been to keep pictures (or even negatives) of someone he murdered?

Now, on the other hand, back in the 60/70's, there was no such thing as DNA evidence. So if, in fact, he wanted to keep trophies, he would have seen zero problem with keeping the jewelry of his victims. There was no way to really ID that back then, unless maybe you were wearing The Hope Diamond, or something with an engraving.

So I think his phone call to his sister about he storage locker was more about the jewelry (or some other physical evidence) than it was about he pictures. JMO

Maybe just me, but I am leaning heavily toward these pictures NOT being anyone he actually murdered. Reasoning: Acala was a smart guy (though I'm no where near convinced he was some kind of genius!) so, that being said, how "smart" would he have been to keep pictures (or even negatives) of someone he murdered?

Now, on the other hand, back in the 60/70's, there was no such thing as DNA evidence. So if, in fact, he wanted to keep trophies, he would have seen zero problem with keeping the jewelry of his victims. There was no way to really ID that back then, unless maybe you were wearing The Hope Diamond, or something with an engraving.

So I think his phone call to his sister about he storage locker was more about the jewelry (or some other physical evidence) than it was about he pictures. JMO

I'm not so sure about this...I've read that there were thousands of pictures; many of which, are unfit for print.

JMO

I am tending to agree with BillyLee - not all photos may be of murdered girls, but might all earrings be from murdered girls? I don't really understand why else he would have them in his possession, especially with the jewelry thing being his MO. It seems strange that pictures of the jewelry have not been released as readily as the photographs for this reason....perhaps LE didn't think they would be as identifiable? :waitasec:

Hope this is okay with the mods, here's the picture from the magazine. It's no longer on the stands, so I'm guessing it's okay.

Hope this is okay with the mods, here's the picture from the magazine. It's no longer on the stands, so I'm guessing it's okay.

Thanks, Billy.

Ya know I see something new here. All the way to the bottom left. Some of it is cut off. Way to go whoever was responsible for the picture weather the cropping or what went in the book. Anyway, it's one of those "charm holders". I had one. You put your charms all on one thingie on your necklace. Maybe the charms belonged on that?

Then again don't listen to me because I just posted in another thread about the two charms and completely forgot I had seen them until I looked here. I have "Sometimers". Sometimes I remember and sometimes I forget.

Also, a frightening thought. I had friends who had good charm bracelets. Each charm was for special ocassions. If this is always the case there's a baby carriage!:(

Yep, definately a "charm holder" there. Pretty generic circa 77-80 or so.

Found this from a trial transcript:

In the Parenteau case, her jewelry box had been opened by the culprit and rifled. In the Lamb case, an earring had been removed from the victim-and later found in Alcala's souvenir pouch-just as an earring had allegedly been removed from Robin Samsoe and kept as a memento in Alcala's pouch alongside Lamb's earring.

Is the pouch we see in this photograph you posted, Billy HIS pouch? Do you know? Just wondering as it's a lil feminine. Maybe he took this also from a victim.

Just wondering as I had a few of these. Little we called them Asian purses. From about 77-80 gold was huge. I walked around like Mr. T. We only took our gold off at night before bed. If you were downashore or something you would put it in the case like that and put it under your pillow or in your bra or PJ pocket.

Yeah I came from where you keep your valuables on your person. Somewhat sad.

Thanks again for posting this.

Is the pouch we see in this photograph you posted, Billy HIS pouch? Do you know? Just wondering as it's a lil feminine. Maybe he took this also from a victim.

Just wondering as I had a few of these. Little we called them Asian purses. From about 77-80 gold was huge. I walked around like Mr. T. We only took our gold off at night before bed. If you were downashore or something you would put it in the case like that and put it under your pillow or in your bra or PJ pocket.

Yeah I came from where you keep your valuables on your person. Somewhat sad.

Thanks again for posting this.

Yes I brought that up about the pouch earlier in the thread, I imagine he took that from someone also. thanks for the info on the charm holder, I wasn't sure what that was. I can't make out what's in the little box. As far as the picture being cropped, it was in People Mag and I have a feeling this is not all the jewelry. Interesting that some earrings are in pairs, some are singles. Should we be looking for victims with only one earring?
Also there is a red heart shaped cameo, and I posted on her thread, The Dark Haired Girl with Beige Shirt, in one of her pictures where's she's smiling big, if you blow it up, it's a red cameo, but I can't tell if it's a heart shape because of the shadows.

As important as the jewelry pics are to sleuthing this case, it is a copyright issue, even with a magazine that is no longer on the stands. I had to remove the pictures. :(

Yes I brought that up about the pouch earlier in the thread, I imagine he took that from someone also. thanks for the info on the charm holder, I wasn't sure what that was. I can't make out what's in the little box. As far as the picture being cropped, it was in People Mag and I have a feeling this is not all the jewelry. Interesting that some earrings are in pairs, some are singles. Should we be looking for victims with only one earring?
Also there is a red heart shaped cameo, and I posted on her thread, The Dark Haired Girl with Beige Shirt, in one of her pictures where's she's smiling big, if you blow it up, it's a red cameo, but I can't tell if it's a heart shape because of the shadows.

Yeah I saw your cameo on the girl with the beige top. I don't see it in the jewelry stash though. My gram collected cameos and there's all kinds. Certain ways to see if they are expensive or not. Some are only actually glued onto the mount. I was gifted with a really old one which it's pink. Supposedly rare? You can date them also I think by color. I did shee your link to checking them out.

Victims with one earring? With this guy who the heckubah knows? Why did he only take ONE from ONE victim and then two from another? Riffle through another victims entire jewelry box?

The little box though looks like earrings. Big question is who put them in the box?

Just to let you know, Tricia sent a fax yesterday to People Mag for us to see if we can post the picture of the jewelry here.

I know I've said this before, but I don't understand why HBPD doesn't release pictures of the jewelery. In what we saw in the People Magazine issue, there are some rather unique pieces there. The cuckoo clock charm and the baby carriage charm, both look to me as if they were from the same manufacturer and/or made around the same time. People who have charm bracelets very often get charms from friends/family for birthdays and Christmas, etc. I can't think of any reason anyone would have a baby carriage charm if they did not get it when the either had a child, or were expecting a child. Now that I said that, perhaps if you were a delivery room nurse or GYN, then maybe then also. So my point here is none of the women/girls he has been convicted of killing had children. I believe one was a nurse, but I don't know what kind, so unless it was hers then this jewelry absolutely came from another victim, one who was either pregnant or had at least one child. AND someone probably gave that victim that charm. WHY DON'T THEY RELEASE PHOTOS OF THE JEWELRY? IT'S BAD ENOUGH THEY HELD ON TO ALL THIS STUFF ALL THESE YEARS, WHY HOLD IT ANY LONGER?:banghead: Can anyone see a reason for them not releasing the jewelry pictures? Do you think we should write to them?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back