GUILTY MO - Sandra Fugate, 32, shot to death, Hannibal, 15 April 2010

How sad. She had a cute little house. I see a couple of kids bikes out front. :(

oh boy. 3 guesses to where this will lead........

This happened in my hometown. I graduated from high school with her. She was supposed to be married this Saturday and wrote on facebook yesterday how excited she was about it. :frown:

Sources:
http://www.whig.com/story/news/Hannibal-Women-s-Death
http://www.hannibal.net/features/x749201431/Coroner-says-Hannibal-death-possibly-suspicious

snipped from first link:

Neighbors who were interviewed by police said several items were stolen in the neighborhood overnight Wednesday and early Thursday, but it is not known if those incidents are related to the woman’s death.

I wonder if there is anything missing from her house? Perhaps she walked in on a burglar.

oh boy. 3 guesses to where this will lead........

Normally, I would be right there with you if you're thinking the fiance. In this case though the article says that things had been stolen in the neighborhood. I think she may have caught someone in the act of burglarizing her home and they shot her. JMO.

very true but someone could have used the other robberies as a cover.

g12c0000000000000006885771c1180765b.jpg

Hannibal murder inquiry continues

By BRENT ENGEL
Hannibal Courier-Post
Posted Apr 16, 2010 @ 04:32 PM
Hannibal, MO —

A Hannibal woman who apparently was murdered told friends shortly before her death that she was looking forward to getting married this weekend.

Thirty-two-year-old Sandra Michelle Fugate was found by her mother in the basement of the Fugate home at 3611 Iowa Ave. at 12:47 p.m. Thursday.

Authorities said Fugate’s fiancé, 40-year-old Calvin Duane Pettey, also lived at the home along with Fugate’s eight-year-old daughter.

An autopsy was done Friday in Columbia, but results were not available. Police have said the incident is being investigated as a homicide, but have not discussed motive or other details. A spokesman did not return telephone calls Friday.

Marion County Coroner Peggy Porter, who pronounced Fugate dead at 2:40 p.m. Thursday, told the Courier-Post that the victim apparently died of a gunshot, but declined to say where on the body the wound was found. Porter was unavailable for comment Friday afternoon.

Fugate and Pettey got a license to wed April 9 and were to be married Saturday at First Assembly of God Church in Hannibal.

“Have a busy week this week, but it¹s all good,” Fugate wrote on the Facebook Website at 8:08 a.m. Monday. “Can¹t wait to do the chicken dance and cupid shuffle on saturday night. lol.”

At 3:24 p.m. Wednesday, Fugate wrote that there had been a “hiccup” because one of the tuxedos had not arrived with a pair of shoes. Fugate wrote that “it should be here by 10 a.m. tomorrow. I hope it does cuz not sure what I will do if it doesn’t.”

Her last Facebook entry came at 8:16 a.m. the day she died, but appeared to be nothing more than a standard daily note.
Several neighbors, all of whom asked not to be identified, remembered Fugate as a personable woman who loved daughter.

“It’s a shame,” said one neighbor, who broke into tears. “She was a good person. You just never expect this to happen in your neighborhood.”

The Rev. James Bridges, who was to officiate at Saturday’s wedding, said the couple was excited about the nuptials.

“She was a good-spirited woman,” said Bridges, who agreed to handle the duties after being recommended by friends of Fugate’s who are cousins of the pastor. “She was very lively and very fun.”

Friends expressed their grief on Facebook.

“Words can’t describe how sad I am that my friend was taken so young,” wrote one.

“You will be missed very much but never forgotten,” wrote another.

“My thoughts and prayers are with your family,” added a third. “You will be greatly missed.”

The James O¹Donnell Funeral Home in Hannibal was handling arrangements.

The murder was the first homicide in Hannibal this year.

Forty-four-year-old Allen D. Layfield was arrested for second-degree murder in the Jan. 16 death of his estranged girlfriend, 42-year-old Karen S. Sherman. However, the charges later were dropped after an autopsy showed Sherman died of coronary artery disease and a multiple drug overdose.

The last murders in Hannibal were the killings of 27-year-old Amanda R. Thomas and 25-year-old C. Patrick Epley, who were stabbed to death on Feb. 28, 2009, at Thomas’ apartment.

A suspect, 33-year-old illegal immigrant Manuel G. Cazares, who fathered a child with Thomas, is charged with two counts of second-degree murder and one count of armed criminal action. His trial is set for June 21.

http://www.hannibal.net/features/x1394794478/Hannibal-murder-inquiry-continues

Her and her fiance lived together, but there is no mention of him in all the news articles. (as in where was he at time of shooting)...wonder why.

This is so sad and her poor daughter and Mother. :(

I hope they arrest the perp soon.

jmho

g12c000000000000000def47f747797416b.jpg

Pettey arrested for Fugate murder

By BEV DARR
Hannibal Courier-Post
Posted Apr 17, 2010 @ 08:17 PM
Hannibal, MO —

Calvin Duane Pettey, 40, of Hannibal, has been arrested and charged with murder in the first degree for the death of Sandra M. Fugate.

Hannibal Chief of Police Lyndell Davis reported Saturday, April 17, that Pettey was taken into custody by Hannibal officers and detectives Friday afternoon at 5:02 p.m. without incident on Marsh Avenue near Central Avenue.

A warrant was issued Saturday in Circuit Court of Marion County, Associate Division, charging Pettey with the Class A felony of murder in the first degree, according to Davis.

Pettey’s bond was set at $1 million, cash only. On Saturday he was being held at the Marion County Sheriff’s Department.

Davis said the arrest and issuance of the warrant for Pettey results from the investigation by Hannibal Police detectives and officers into the circumstances involving the death of Sandra M. Fugate, 32, of Hannibal.
Fugate died Thursday, April 15, and an autopsy was conducted on Friday.
Pettey and Fugate had planned to be married on April 17.

Source: http://www.hannibal.net/features/x1394795508/Pettey-arrested-for-Fugate-murder

Another article: http://www.whig.com/story/news/Fugate-Murder-for-web

Her facebook - http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1197036960#!/profile.php?id=100000130820883&v=wall&ref=ts

His facebook - http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1197036960#!/profile.php?id=100000514924314&v=wall

in an older post on her FB from 4/7 she is worrying as duane was not feeling well and one of her friends said he has the marraige jitters, in a teasing kind of way...but it all sounds very sweet and she last wrote about how excited she was that the wedding was one week away...
so sad...what the H happened??

Some of the FB comments are so sad, after the fact...she and all of her friends were so excited about the wedding...talking about reception, etc...ugh...it seems so eerie now to be able to read these words...

usually when you have pre marriage jitters you break it off or postpone the wedding......not shoot the would be bride.

this is bizarre

it's so creepy to read his facebook...on the night before he was arrested he posted something about crying when he saw her photo and how sad he was and he was getting all this sympathy from his friends...i feel creepy reading it but people that don't make their walls private, leave it out there unfortunately, for strangers to read, if they happen to make the newshe had lots of support beforehand and no one even seemed to consider him...the week before, he was writing about the wedding etc...he sounded normal and excited...how did it end up like this??

well that was weird. neither of the articles said anythinga about evidence or motive.

almost like he was busted on the strength of my websleuths post.....

Witnesses say Hannibal man confessed to murder

Hannibal, MO —

A Hannibal murder suspect allegedly admitted killing his fiance and asking others to dispose of the gun, ammunition and clothes he was wearing.

Forty-year-old C. Duane Pettey is charged with first-degree murder in the April 15 death of 32-year-old Sandra M. “Sandi” Fugate. The two had been engaged for about a year and were to be married Saturday.

A probable cause statement filed Monday in Marion County Circuit Court shows one witness told authorities Pettey had said “he killed Sandy and needed her to get rid of the evidnece (sic).”

Another person told authorities Pettey had “put a white box in my van” that “reached almost across the entire floor from one side to the other. He handed me a trash bag.”

Pettey then allegedly “told me it had to be burnt. He told me to make sure I burn (sic) the bag because they could get prints off of the bag. He told me to take the gun apart.”

The witness reported Pettey indicated “the metal part had to go in a body of water and I had to burn the wooden part. He said I needed to get rid of the bullets and to dump them in a body of water because they may have his prints on them.”

Pettey allegedly told the witness “not to put the ammunition and the gun part in the same body of water,” according to the statement.

A third witness reported a conversation she had with a woman motorist. The woman “kept driving and I asked her why she wanted to go to the river,” the statement reads.

The driver “said ‘That thing I told you about he told me he did it this morning,’” the witness quotes the driver as saying.

“I asked her what thing and she said the thing we were talking about before he did himself this morning,” the witness continued. “I asked her what she meant and she said he killed her.”

When the witness didn’t believe the story, the statement says the driver then indicated Fugate really was dead.

“I asked why we were going to the river and she said he gave me the gun and his clothes and I’m supposed to get rid of them,” according to the statement.

The edited document offers incomplete remarks from each of the witnesses, who are not identified. Large parts of it also have been blacked out.

Marion County Prosecuting Attorney Tom Redington, who filed the first-degree murder charge, declined to comment. It was unclear if Pettey had an attorney.

The complaint Redington filed with the court says Pettey “knowingly caused the death of Sandra M. Fugate after deliberation upon the matter, by shooting her.”

Source: http://www.hannibal.net/features/x43861145/WItnesses-say-Hannibal-man-confessed-to-murder

OMG...and then he wrote all this about how much he loved on her his facebook and missed her etc....sounds like he was really trying to cover it up as long as he could...wow, how sad...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back