Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Fields View Post
    As I was reading the article in one of the recent links posted by RoseC, something else caught my eye so I did a little digging. I saw an article about a student walking away from "The Georgetown Marine Institute" but had been found...I just wondered if that was something like a military academy and if the students were confined there or if they ever got passes to leave, etc. As I googled that school, I then read another article here:
    http://www.gtowntimes.com/story/Stud...t-their-school

There is mention of a student who had plead guilty of sexual assault on a female student, but since it occurred off campus, the student was allowed to remain on the basketball team. This article also states that five students from this same high school have been arrested for burglary but have not been convicted.

I am not suggesting for one minute any of these students had anything to do with BD's disappearance, but it does make me think the possibility that these PsOI may be juveniles is not far fetched at all. Also, it reminded me of the police at one point a few months back said they had gone to a school and questioned a student there but that student was not considered to be a POI. I don't even know if the school mentioned in this article in particular is actually in Georgetown, but the fact of all the trouble these juveniles are getting into (although it happens everywhere....not just these schools) makes it just as likely the perps could be juveniles as adult males.

Strawberry field,,
    This Georgetown Marine Institue,not really a school,its like junvnile home for boys only, age..12-15 no younger no older (males only)
    services in lieu of commitment or revocation for juveniles on probation or parole.
    Other words if they young boys get into big trouble with law (like muder,etc) the right lawyer can get the boy into this place,if im not mistaken theres about 32 there now,,no they cant leave its mini like jail without bars or wire around the land,they get did with rules like reg jail like (visiting hours,calls,etc whatever time these boys would got sentence in court they have spend that time at this place,,,,,its in Maryville on hwy 17 out Georgetown on seem route as North santee,,,))) they cant leave the grounds,,they have teachers there at this place,if not mistaken its been in Georgetown now since about 1991,,
    Last edited by RoseC; 04-24-2010 at 12:05 AM.
    :Banane37

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RoseC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SeaNymph View Post
    LLLIndsayy, I've also begun to wonder, with such a tight lid on POI's indentities, could they ALL be juveniles? That would really surprise me but that's the first and foremost reason I can think of that no 'local rumors' have even cropped up at this point. People just talk, let's face it, and usually one person will come up somehow. Could media get in trouble for publishing juvenile names even if they know them?
    The way I've usually (always?) seen it handled, is that juvenile policy is specified as reason suspect, age x<18, has been arrested, etc.

In this case, no arrest, an unofficial "person of interest" statement, I'm reasonably sure that police haven't told anyone who the POI's are to withhold.

rd

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rd_jfc For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rd_jfc View Post
    The way I've usually (always?) seen it handled, is that juvenile policy is specified as reason suspect, age x<18, has been arrested, etc.

In this case, no arrest, an unofficial "person of interest" statement, I'm reasonably sure that police haven't told anyone who the POI's are to withhold.

rd
    I wonder why they are being so hush hush about it. I know they don't want to hurt the case but why release that they have poi's in the first place.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to candi123 For This Useful Post:

As I was reading the article in one of the recent links posted by RoseC, something else caught my eye so I did a little digging. I saw an article about a student walking away from "The Georgetown Marine Institute" but had been found...I just wondered if that was something like a military academy and if the students were confined there or if they ever got passes to leave, etc. As I googled that school, I then read another article here:
    http://www.gtowntimes.com/story/Stud...t-their-school

There is mention of a student who had plead guilty of sexual assault on a female student, but since it occurred off campus, the student was allowed to remain on the basketball team. This article also states that five students from this same high school have been arrested for burglary but have not been convicted.

I am not suggesting for one minute any of these students had anything to do with BD's disappearance, but it does make me think the possibility that these PsOI may be juveniles is not far fetched at all. Also, it reminded me of the police at one point a few months back said they had gone to a school and questioned a student there but that student was not considered to be a POI. I don't even know if the school mentioned in this article in particular is actually in Georgetown, but the fact of all the trouble these juveniles are getting into (although it happens everywhere....not just these schools) makes it just as likely the perps could be juveniles as adult males.
    BBM

Well, I know you aren't suggesting anything, but it doesn't hurt to look. I think you've stumbled upon some good, fresh ideas!! I think it would be silly NOT to at least look at these people...and boy did it turn up some odd coincidences!!

Your first guy...wow. Ok, his dad's a pastor at a local church. Turns out, two months before BD goes missing, he loses his best friend in a boating accident. Friend drowns with 2 others. One month later, J Williams sexually assualts this girl after school hours. She waits 10 days to report it officially, and the school lets him come back to school. His parents had already taken him out of the school and placed him at alternative school, but he was back at GHS by August, just a few months after ADMITTING that he attacked this girl. This story is FAR more detailed and I can't imagine what this girl must feel like: http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/02/21...r-assault.html
    And here's the info about the boat accident: http://www2.scnow.com/scp/news/local...ccident/34821/

My main problem with him is that he doesn't appear to have connections to Andrews, to anything further south than GHS, and that he is African American....I really think she went with a white guy that she'd met at a party...IMHO. But it is interesting timing that late Feb is boat accident, Late March is sex assualt, Late April BD is missing.

Moving on: I didn't have a whole lot of time to research the other case, but I think it's also interesting!! The oldest member of these burglers is 20 year old (now 21) Vernon Swain. I can't find any social networking sites for him, yet. The others are all in their late teens and one is still a juvie. After looking at their mug shots, and this is PURELY rude on my part, I think Vernon and Travis are the only possible people in THIS group that could lure BD into a vehicle. I just don't think the other two would peak her interests, IMHO. Everyone looks better in real life than in mug shots I'm sure, but you get my point.
    Anyway, Travis begain dating a girl back in March 2009. She became pregnant late March 2009....and baby was born Dec 2009. He seems to have a troubled past, but really seems happy with his 'wife' and child. Vernon, on the other hand, appears to be single. Travis' brother left a scathing message on Travis' 'wife's' MS site....saying that, basically, all of the others tried to pin their actions on him and that he didn't do what they accused him of doing. I think everyone basically ratted everyone else out. Travis says in January that he's recently 'found the lord' and is trying to get his life straight. I'm sure he just forgot the 'new leaf' when he was stealing people's property, but whatever.
    Vernon went to GHS and happens to live in Andrews, SC....you know, where BD's phone was headed at one point. I haven't been able to check to see if he has any adult record other than the burglary. Here's the articles on these guys:
    http://www2.scnow.com/scp/news/local..._theft/111522/
    http://www.gtowntimes.com/Local/Five...om-Black-River

My problem with him is that stealing ATV's and murder are two different things!! Obviously, I'd like to know what else he and the others have done, if anything. However, this is basically a group of 4 that LE has been interrogating and that have been ratting on each other. It's also interesting that they are all being held on 20,000 cash bond...somewhat high I would think for stealing an ATV.

**side note: Apparently in SC teens convicted of Sexual Assualt...even if tried and convicted as an adult....do NOT have their pics posted in the State Registry. You can call the County PD and, based on the reason for your request, they may or may not release a photo and assualt record for the teen. That's PURE CRAZINESS, IMHO. So, J Williamson not only gets to return to GHS, he also gets to keep his name and photo out of the registry..which means that none of his neighbors--and their daughters--ever get to know they live next to someone with a criminal record of sexual abuse.
    Last edited by krista; 04-24-2010 at 02:31 PM.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to krista For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by candi123 View Post
    I wonder why they are being so hush hush about it. I know they don't want to hurt the case but why release that they have poi's in the first place.
    well candi their public appeal to families and friends of the POIs implies that the families know their sons, brothers, etc. have been questioned, are under suspicion, probably search warrants executed. So in the right circles these POI's are known.

My guess is that they are appealing for info that will let them find enough to convict, and info coming in concerning people who haven't been named publicly is manageable in determining credibility.

If they tossed out four names, they would be inundated night and day with claims about the individuals. In a way, that would be helpful (they were seen such and such place etc.) but in another way it'd probably jeapordize a onviction in my opinion.

It's unusual, that's for sure.

rd

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rd_jfc For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by krista View Post
    BBM

Well, I know you aren't suggesting anything, but it doesn't hurt to look. I think you've stumbled upon some good, fresh ideas!! I think it would be silly NOT to at least look at these people...and boy did it turn up some odd coincidences!!

Your first guy...wow. Ok, his dad's a pastor at a local church. Turns out, two months before BD goes missing, he loses his best friend in a boating accident. Friend drowns with 2 others. One month later, J Williams sexually assualts this girl after school hours. She waits 10 days to report it officially, and the school lets him come back to school. His parents had already taken him out of the school and placed him at Georgetown Marine, but he was back at GHS by August, just a few months after ADMITTING that he attacked this girl. This story is FAR more detailed and I can't imagine what this girl must feel like: http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/02/21...r-assault.html
    And here's the info about the boat accident: http://www2.scnow.com/scp/news/local...ccident/34821/

My main problem with him is that he doesn't appear to have connections to Andrews, to anything further south than GHS, and that he is African American....I really think she went with a white guy that she'd met at a party...IMHO. But it is interesting timing that late Feb is boat accident, Late March is sex assualt, Late April BD is missing.

Moving on: I didn't have a whole lot of time to research the other case, but I think it's also interesting!! The oldest member of these burglers is 20 year old (now 21) Vernon Swain. I can't find any social networking sites for him, yet. The others are all in their late teens and one is still a juvie. After looking at their mug shots, and this is PURELY rude on my part, I think Vernon and Travis are the only possible people in THIS group that could lure BD into a vehicle. I just don't think the other two would peak her interests, IMHO. Everyone looks better in real life than in mug shots I'm sure, but you get my point.
    Anyway, Travis begain dating a girl back in March 2009. She became pregnant late March 2009....and baby was born Dec 2009. He seems to have a troubled past, but really seems happy with his 'wife' and child. Vernon, on the other hand, appears to be single. Travis' brother left a scathing message on Travis' 'wife's' MS site....saying that, basically, all of the others tried to pin their actions on him and that he didn't do what they accused him of doing. I think everyone basically ratted everyone else out. Travis says in January that he's recently 'found the lord' and is trying to get his life straight. I'm sure he just forgot the 'new leaf' when he was stealing people's property, but whatever.
    Vernon went to GHS and happens to live in Andrews, SC....you know, where BD's phone was headed at one point. I haven't been able to check to see if he has any adult record other than the burglary. Here's the articles on these guys:
    http://www2.scnow.com/scp/news/local..._theft/111522/
    http://www.gtowntimes.com/Local/Five...om-Black-River

My problem with him is that stealing ATV's and murder are two different things!! Obviously, I'd like to know what else he and the others have done, if anything. However, this is basically a group of 4 that LE has been interrogating and that have been ratting on each other. It's also interesting that they are all being held on 20,000 cash bond...somewhat high I would think for stealing an ATV.

**side note: Apparently in SC teens convicted of Sexual Assualt...even if tried and convicted as an adult....do NOT have their pics posted in the State Registry. You can call the County PD and, based on the reason for your request, they may or may not release a photo and assualt record for the teen. That's PURE CRAZINESS, IMHO. So, J Williamson not only gets to return to GHS, he also gets to keep his name and photo out of the registry..which means that none of his neighbors--and their daughters--ever get to know they live next to someone with a criminal record of sexual abuse.

You've done a lot of work! Awesome!

I don't have time to look into all of this myself, but this sounds like something worth looking into. It's also interesting to note that at the time LE traveled to GTHS to interview a student, the first person you mentioned would have still been enrolled at that time.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LLLindsayy For This Useful Post:

Have to be gone most of today, but want to delve into all of this a little more later this evening or tomorrow a.m. Thanks for the extra work and postings of links, etc., Krista. Very interesting to say the least...Very interesting.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strawberry Fields For This Useful Post:

Just wanted to clarify:

I am not in any way saying that THESE people are responsible for BD's disappearance. I DO think that people LIKE these kids are responsible.....and that these kids--especially the 5 boys from GHS--likely hang out with other troublemakers.
    I think LE has likely reviewed the juvie records and school records to see which kids have had past problems. I'm betting that the GHS tip that LE checked out in January was to a kid with previous problems and a possible record.
    Does anyone know about bail amounts...what would seem high or low in the burglary case? I honestly have no idea, but I thought that amount was high for high school kids without any prior problems....if, indeed, they have no priors!??!??

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krista For This Useful Post:

Just wanted to clarify:

I am not in any way saying that THESE people are responsible for BD's disappearance. I DO think that people LIKE these kids are responsible.....and that these kids--especially the 5 boys from GHS--likely hang out with other troublemakers.
    I think LE has likely reviewed the juvie records and school records to see which kids have had past problems. I'm betting that the GHS tip that LE checked out in January was to a kid with previous problems and a possible record.
    Does anyone know about bail amounts...what would seem high or low in the burglary case? I honestly have no idea, but I thought that amount was high for high school kids without any prior problems....if, indeed, they have no priors!??!??
    If I have my stories correct, I believe the GHS student that was interviewed claimed he had friends that were with B that night.

Was this the case or am I totally off here?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LLLindsayy For This Useful Post:

That is where I was going

Quote Originally Posted by LLLindsayy View Post
    If I have my stories correct, I believe the GHS student that was interviewed claimed he had friends that were with B that night.

Was this the case or am I totally off here?
    It was what I had in the back of my mind. Thinking about LE saying they had gone to see a high school student because I believe he claimed he knew someone who had been with BD. I had not heard about these students being arrested or especially about the one boy (son of the preacher) being convicted of the sexual assault, on his friend no less. I must say I read all of the links provided by Krista and I was in total shock about the rapes/sexual assaults, etc. being reported in the high school in that area. I was almost in tears in reading about what that one female student had to go through by the authorities allowing the boy who actually pleaded guilty to sexual assault being allowed right back in school AND being allowed back on the teams. After seeing all of this now it just makes me think pretty much it was just like LE is saying....the POI are living right there in the local area. These kids all are growing up right in the thick of where the searches have taken place.

I wish we could find an article or link about the one student being interviewed at the school and exactly when that interview occurred.

I do also wonder about the amount of bail that was set for these boys on the burglary charges. Did I read it to mean they are all still in jail?

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strawberry Fields For This Useful Post:

Me too wanting to clarify

Just wanted to clarify:

I am right with you on this Krista. Nope...don't believe any of these particular students mentioned directly in any of these articles are the actual PsOI, but it is a real eye opener for the "younger perp theory". The way that poor victim testified about the boy coming to her house, etc., made me think of what poor BD may have had to endure.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strawberry Fields For This Useful Post:

It was what I had in the back of my mind. Thinking about LE saying they had gone to see a high school student because I believe he claimed he knew someone who had been with BD. I had not heard about these students being arrested or especially about the one boy (son of the preacher) being convicted of the sexual assault, on his friend no less. I must say I read all of the links provided by Krista and I was in total shock about the rapes/sexual assaults, etc. being reported in the high school in that area. I was almost in tears in reading about what that one female student had to go through by the authorities allowing the boy who actually pleaded guilty to sexual assault being allowed right back in school AND being allowed back on the teams. After seeing all of this now it just makes me think pretty much it was just like LE is saying....the POI are living right there in the local area. These kids all are growing up right in the thick of where the searches have taken place.

I wish we could find an article or link about the one student being interviewed at the school and exactly when that interview occurred.

I do also wonder about the amount of bail that was set for these boys on the burglary charges. Did I read it to mean they are all still in jail?
    BBM.

It took place in early May. Perhaps May 6? I can look for an article for you.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LLLindsayy For This Useful Post:

They also went to a nearby high school in Georgetown, tracking down a lead.
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...son.html?cat=8
    Notice article was posted May 8.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LLLindsayy For This Useful Post:

March and vigil planned to mark one year anniversary of Brittanee Drexel’s Disappearance
    Published: April 24, 2010
    Updated: April 24, 2010

Tonight a march and vigil will be held to mark the one year anniversary of the disappearance of Brittanee Drexel.

The Drexel family arrived in the Grand Strand earlier this week.

More at link...
    http://www2.counton2.com/cbd/news/lo...ls_dis/132615/

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LLLindsayy For This Useful Post:

Praying the street is blocked from all of the people marching for Brittanee tonight!! Praying the crowd is so large, so great, that Brittanee is ALL OVER the news Sunday morning!! Such a sad day, but such a welcome change for this case...to have people interested and enthusiastic about finally bringing Brittanee home!! Prayers for our sleuthers and Brittanee's families in MB this weekend!!

30. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to krista For This Useful Post:

We are lucky to have such a collective group of bright minds on here. I have felt for a while there was some type of wildcard going on here with the POI's. They named Peter so easily with almost nothing on him. Yet these guys are being protected even with police saying "they know what happened to her." The youth/race factor or a combination of both is apparent to me. If they are students, the school system itself may have asked them not to name them to draw attention to the school, until they have enough for a conviction, so it's in and out case closed. If it's another factor, Dawn is pretty well connected with the national media outlets and that won't be a good thing for the Gtown/MB area.

We are nearing the end of this investigation. I think there is a level of politics involved. The police will want to minimize the black eye this area has to take. The best thing they can do is say they have these guys off the streets.

32. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to -Doc- For This Useful Post:

To clear up which camera caught B walking back to her hotel, here is a picture of it:

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LLLindsayy For This Useful Post:

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LLLindsayy For This Useful Post:

Brittanee Drexel's Family in Myrtle Beach for Candlelight Vigil
    04/23/10 6:30 pm

http://www.wciv.com/news/stories/041...?ref=newsstory

This is a video

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LLLindsayy For This Useful Post:

I want to tell everyone how moving Brittanee's vigil was this evening. So good to see the big turnout. Lot's of family and other supporters there as well as other parents/relatives of missing persons. So hard to see BD's Mom and Dad and sister going through what they are going through and the sadness of the situation.

Keep praying for Brittanee and hope that she comes home very soon!
    Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails.

I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

40. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to MBLover For This Useful Post:

One year vigil in honor of missing Chili teen
    Posted at: 04/24/2010 10:14 PM | Updated at: 04/24/2010 10:22 PM

Tomorrow marks a year since a Chili teenager went missing while on Spring Break in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

Tonight, Brittanee Drexel's family and friends, wearing shirts and pins with her picture, marched the route where she was last seen.

They held a candlelight vigil and begged for someone to come forward.

"We want the person who took in brittanee to please bring her back to us," said Dawn Drexel. "You know this whole year has been a hell for me, for my family, for her brother, for her sister," said Dawn Drexel.

More at link...
    http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S1529053.shtml?cat=566
    __________________________________________________ __________________

One year later, Brittanee Drexel's family honors the missing spring breaker in MB
    By Graeme Moore
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 at 9:29 p.m.

Sunday will mark one year since missing spring breaker Brittanee Drexel disappeared from Ocean Boulevard in Myrtle Beach.

Saturday night, friends and family held a march and vigil in her honor.

It was a chance for Drexel's loved ones to show they haven't given up hope. This past year has been filled with painful ups and downs and still one year later they have very few clues into her disappearance.

It was Saturday, April 25th of last year - this very weekend - when the Brittanee Drexel, then 17, vanished.

The teen, from Rochester, New York, was on spring break. She was last seen leaving the Blue Water Resort on Ocean Boulevard.

More at link...
    http://www.carolinalive.com/news/story.aspx?id=448154

42. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LLLindsayy For This Useful Post:

"On the anniversary we have learned police now have a location of interest, where they think Brittanee Drexel's body may be."

So, then... why haven't they gone to get it? If they have and they haven't found her then why do they still think she is there?

I suppose this quote could still hold true if the area is vast. Such as "in the forest" or "in the river."

44. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to LLLindsayy For This Useful Post:

Photos Of BD ,today in MB

hope this open so you can view the photos heres link
    http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/04/24...filiate.78.JPG
    :Banane37

46. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RoseC For This Useful Post:

I am confused

The statement "very few clues in her disappearance" I thought they had alot with what they have been saying about POI's?
    Debbie

To catch a criminal, you must think like one. (Professor Hamre)

48. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Debbie Miller For This Useful Post:

A year after Brittanee Drexel was last seen in Myrtle Beach, a candle is lit at Hurl Rock Park off Ocean Boulevard on April 24, 2010. Drexel was last seen at nearby Blue Water Resort at 2001 South Ocean Boulevard. About 100 others joined her family for a 30 block walk to the park from where she had been staying at Bar Harbor Motor Inn. The candles were decorated by Charleston County children.

Joining in a march for Brittanee Drexel, people hold signs for other missing people as they walk past Family Kingdom on April 24, 2010. Photo by Janet Blackmon Morgan

More pics at link
    http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/04/24...filiate.78.JPG
    Last edited by RubyRed; 04-25-2010 at 12:14 AM.

50. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast