WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salem

Former Member
Reaction score
Please continue here.

Thread 6

Thread 5

REMINDERS:

Message from Hoppyfrog, Moderator:

Terms of Service - Short, Plain Language Version

We have a detailed, formal Terms of Service (TOS) posted separately, and that TOS is what you will be held to as a member here. It's long and detailed because it has to be in the world we live in, and you are expected to read it, understand it and abide by it. However, we can sum it up as follows:

1) Be a decent human being;
2) Treat your fellow posters as the decent human beings they are;
3) Keep in mind that whatever you post will likely live on forever, so think before you press "Submit Reply".
4) It's a big world. People will disagree with you. You will disagree with them. This can be done with respect, and that's what we expect.

Some specifics about being “a decent human being”:

Being rude to our new posters or any poster for that matter, is against our TOS. If they ask a question you think has already been discussed, just pass on by it. Do not tell them to get up to speed before posting. That is rude and against our TOS.

Do not drag any innocent persons--such as SS's relatives--into this discussion, and certainly do not post personal information (names, addresses, phone numbers, etc) of innocent parties.

Do not post about other WS members, whether or not they are present. Do not post about why or why not they are present. That is called gossip, and we don’t do that at WS. It’s rude.

It is against TOS to try to guess or sleuth the identity of another poster at WS.

Links to social networking sites are allowed, but WS does not allow direct quotes or cut and pastes from them.

Please do not link to minors' pages.

If anyone has a problem with a post, please alert us to it using the alert button in the top right corner of each post. You will see a triangle with an exclamation mark in it there. Do not respond to a problematic post. That only compounds the problem and creates more work for the mods. Hit the alert button instead.

The complete TOS can be found here:

The Rules - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Please read and follow them.

Thank you.

Also - remember that talking about emailing or PM'ing each other is against the rules. You will find it in the TOS under "inviting." You can do it, you can't post about it.

Thread 4

Thread 3

Thread 2

Thread 1

WS is a victim friendly forum. That means we do not sleuth family or friends of a victim until LE or main stream media give us a reason too. We treat family and friends with respect and sensitivity.

We also recognize that each poster has an opinion. They are entitled to their opinion. If you disagree with the opinion, move on - do not respond and try to change their mind. Just move on. If their opinion or post is offensive, hit the alert button (the little red triangle in the upper right corner of the post), then move on.

When paraphrasing from articles, it is important to be accurate. Do not add words to the interviewer or the interviewee's comments.

It is recognized that this case may be at a cross roads and could potentially turn in a couple of different directions. If that happens, sleuthing will also take a turn. BUT sleuthing will not take that turn unless there are solid indications from LE or the main stream media.

If there is continued sleuthing or disparaging comments about family members, posters will be given time outs.

Thanks for keeping the focus on Shantina and Azriel.

Salem

I am curious as to why threads get closed down and new ones opened? I am still a newbie, so I really don't know. :)

Just an FYI...I went into my profile and edited it NOT to see signatures...the pages load so much more quickly now.

As far as I know when they get to many pages it takes to long to reload.

In response to your comment about going home for her cell phone, you are right on the mark. Had she left from the HP and driven home then gotten back on the road, she would have been to CR by 11PM.

If she just wanted to waste time until 11 pm they could have hung out at the mall til it closed - then gone to a McD's or any pizza place. Or they could have gone to a movie. (Who cares if it the last $20.00 they have or if they use a credit card they can't afford - if they are not going to be around to pay the bill - if money was a concern) KWIM?

Olympia according to the state home page is 16 sq miles. Early on I tried Google driving to retrace where she may have been or gone - being completely unfamiliar with Olympia I ended up back to the freeway twice (out of 4 "trips") while going the wrong way from one stop to the next - there is no way someone thinking clearly could be lost in Olympia for 4 hours. :cow:

Tomorrow it will be 5 weeks since the Saturday SS drove with her son to the Olympia area and disappeared.

Tomorrow also is the day they will be holding a memorial service for her in Brinnon.

Thinking of her and her loved ones with feelings of sadness, caring and hope.

Woodard was looking forward to Smiley's arrival with her son, Azriel Carver, around 7:30 or 8 p.m. Saturday evening. They were going to spend the night at her house and get more thoroughly re-acquainted after a few years of being out of touch while they lived in different parts of the country.

snip

Kat and Robb are cute to see together, great parents, good people," Tonovitz wrote.

snip

Woodard described her younger stepsister as smart, nice and happy. "She likes to do family things and outdoor type things just like anybody in Washington state," Woodard said. "There's nothing out of the ordinary about her." She said Simmons also seems like a really nice guy and that they seem to get along well.

http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-031410-missingmomandson,0,6651388.story?page=2

Tomorrow it will be 5 weeks since the Saturday SS drove with her son to the Olympia area and disappeared.

Tomorrow also is the day they will be holding a memorial service for her in Brinnon.

Thinking of her and her loved ones with feelings of sadness, caring and hope.

I received this email because I am on the email distribution list for Scouting in the Orca District. I have omitted the email address and name of sender:

Sent: Friday, April 16, 2010 2:43 PM
Subject: Memorial Service

District Committee,

This is just a quick reminder that the Memorial Service for Shantina “Kat” Smiley and Azriel Carver is tomorrow, April 17th, at the below location:

1 pm

Brinnon Community Church
52 Church Road
Brinnon, WA 98320

(360) 796-4462

XXXXX requests that you please wear your scouting uniform. At the service the District and Council will be presenting the Spirit of the Eagle award for Azriel. Pack 4544 will be presenting the Wolf badge in memory of Azriel on behalf of the Pack.

This is an important way that we can show support and honor a member of our Scouting Family.

Spirit of the Eagle award:

The untimely death of a promising, exemplary young person represents a tragic, sorrowful occurrence for any family and community. For that reason the Boy Scouts of America created the Spirit of the Eagle Award. This award is an honorary, posthumous recognition for a registered BSA youth member who has lost his or her life in an accident or through illness. Bestowed by the National Court of Honor as part of the celebration of the young person's life, the award recognizes the joy, happiness, and life-fulfilling experience Scouting made in that life, while also helping to heal and comfort the youth member's family, loved ones, and friends with the loss.

http://www.boyscouttrail.com/content/award/award-1615.asp

Jules71:

That will be a nice tribute for them to all be in uniform.

I guess the Scouts don't have a recognition award for volunteer Leaders like SS? I didn't realize the memorial was for her son, too. Although, she was so involved with her son's life and they were last together before he died, so I guess it makes sense.

Jules71, thanks for sharing that email with us.

Excuse my ignorance, but is this District a large one, or is there any chance you know anyone who may be attending the memorial?

Jules71:

That will be a nice tribute for them to all be in uniform.

I guess the Scouts don't have a recognition award for volunteer Leaders like SS? I didn't realize the memorial was for her son, too. Although, she was so involved with her son's life and they were last together before he died, so I guess it makes sense.

Jules71, thanks for sharing that email with us.

Excuse my ignorance, but is this District a large one, or is there any chance you know anyone who may be attending the memorial?

Hi slowpoke,
Yes, it is large. The Orca district consists of around 22 boy scout troops and probably the same number of cub scout packs. I have a son the same age, grade in school, and rank in cub scouts as Az - but we are not in the same pack. I know in just our cub scout pack we have 5 dens consisting of at least 10 boys in each, plus the den leaders, and other officials. I'm sure I would know some of the people attending.

I agree with you, wearing the uniform is a nice tribute. I wish I knew if there was any kind of recognition award for volunteer Leaders like SS. I was thinking that also.

I have not seen anything in the media indicating Az would also be included in this service - the only knowledge I have of that is from the email I received.

I received this email because I am on the email distribution list for Scouting in the Orca District. I have omitted the email address and name of sender:

Sent: Friday, April 16, 2010 2:43 PM
Subject: Memorial Service

District Committee,

This is just a quick reminder that the Memorial Service for Shantina “Kat” Smiley and Azriel Carver is tomorrow, April 17th, at the below location:

1 pm

Brinnon Community Church
52 Church Road
Brinnon, WA 98320

(360) 796-4462

XXXXX requests that you please wear your scouting uniform. At the service the District and Council will be presenting the Spirit of the Eagle award for Azriel. Pack 4544 will be presenting the Wolf badge in memory of Azriel on behalf of the Pack.

This is an important way that we can show support and honor a member of our Scouting Family.

Very sad, but a nice tribute for them. Thanks for posting this. I hope Shantina can be found and laid to rest.:(

In a phone interview, Jay Carver said there is an uninhabited island either across from or near where the van was found. He indicated he was going to try to do a search there, but I never heard if he actually did (or if anyone did). I believe it was either in his radio interview or the one with Shep on Fox. It wasn't long before Azriel's body was found, so I don't know what came of that.

BeanE said:
Woodard was looking forward to Smiley's arrival with her son, Azriel Carver, around 7:30 or 8 p.m. Saturday evening. They were going to spend the night at her house and get more thoroughly re-acquainted after a few years of being out of touch while they lived in different parts of the country.

She was friends with Shantina on myspace as early as January '08. It's a shame they didn't get together sooner.

http://comment.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewComments&friendID=243140172

In a phone interview, Jay Carver said there is an uninhabited island either across from or near where the van was found. He indicated he was going to try to do a search there, but I never heard if he actually did (or if anyone did). I believe it was either in his radio interview or the one with Shep on Fox. It wasn't long before Azriel's body was found, so I don't know what came of that.

She was friends with Shantina on myspace as early as January '08. It's a shame they didn't get together sooner.

http://comment.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewComments&friendID=243140172

That is a good question, about Jay conducting a search of that island. But I imagine it must be costly, and perhaps he was unable to find the means to do it....Unless they had ruled out that island from the air search....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff