CO CO - Kayleah Wilson, 12, Greeley, 28 March 2010 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
From revampz in previous thread

hi can I please ask...what is a "mall" in the US? is it a road that is closed off to cars and the area is still open with trees etc that you can walk through and shops on either side of the concrete...or are you talking about a shopping mall as in a big building that has shops in it??

sorry here it is the road one, but on shows you always hear they went to the "shopping mall" and I have always assumed it was a building.....

A mall is simply a group of associated businesses who rent property in relatively close proximity from the same organization who owns the property.

A mall can be a single building with all the businesses inside, or it can be multiple buildings spanning quite a large area crossing roads.

Most of the businesses are stores, but there can be other businesses - restaurants, movie theaters, and even non-retail businesses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shopping_mall

Here's the website for Greeley Mall:
http://www.shopgreeleymall.com/

There's a general description, and the left column has links that list the businesses in it.

Here's a map of the mall:
http://www.shopgreeleymall.com/pages/mall_map/30.php

It looks like it's self-contained, with the movie theater inside or connected.

25uljll.jpg

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - CO CO - 12 yr old Kayleah Wilson missing, Greeley #2

The mall property is about 1/2 mile E-W and 1/4 mile N-S. The building is completely surrounded by parking lot. The W side (where Kayleah would have been walking FROM) borders 23rd Ave and is quite busy with the movie theatre and restaurants (which are stand-alone buildings in the mall lot). As she would have probably walked along/through the S edge of the lot (along 30th st) toward the 1700 block, this area is more desolate. Very few people park here to enter the mall. This is, however, visible from semi-busy 30th street and the apts, so I would think any obviously suspicious activity would be noticed on a sunny Sunday afternoon. I am so stumped and saddened that Kayleah is still missing after 3 weeks. :(

I drive this area nearly daily and work in the area and I have to say that the first few (probably CRITICAL days) I hadn't heard about Kayleah at all. It was Weds or Thurs of that week before I even knew of her disappearance (granted, I don['t take the local paper, but I glance at it online nearly daily). I know our PD are excellent, hard-working men and women, but I think they missed some critical hours of investigating... :(

I think that's so critical minibooks. The fact that you didn't see posters everywher, hear anything on the news, etc for that many days really hurt this case. Those first hours are critical for many reasons, not the least of which is jogging the memories of people that may have seen something.

I agree. I have felt that, perhaps, there should be an age restriction with the amber alert. For example, I understand no one saw her being taken; however, under a certain age, it shouldn't matter if it's a runaway or an abduction -- the danger is HUGE either way. She's 12 years old!!! Under, say, 16, I'm wondering if an amber alert shouldn't be issued one way or the other. At least then people would be looking for her -- and at 12, everyone should have their eyes open for anything that looks suspicious!

Within just days of the 'Amber Alert' being put into law in California, we had two young teenage girls, 15 or 16, I believe, were kidnapped at gunpoint and their b/fs made to walk from the middle of nowhere, this was late at night, midnight or so.....(I may not remember exact time?) ......anyway, they implemented the 'Amber Alert' on all the signs. It was a state employee out in the middle of nowhere who spotted their vehicle as it exited the main highway and went onto a deserted country road.

Out in the middle of nowhere, the girls were confronted by their attacker with weapons. He assaulted them and then was just minutes or seconds away from killing them when..........................in swooped LE.......it was like something out of the movies....

Anyway, IMHO, the Amber Alert should be utitilized for anyone under 18, at least. LE also needs to take more seriously when teenagers disappear. They always say it's a run-a-way and they don't know. Even if the parents say their child would never do that! LE delays, delays, delays.....

Case in point, again in California,................Amber DuBois....LE was sure she ran a way and her parents knew differently.........the parents, unfortunately where right.............but she was dead before they even missed her, within 90 minutes.

They should be broadcasting this child's picture everywhere. IF it turns out there was no foul play, so be it. But she's only 12 yo.

JMHO
fran

I agree, sadly I think the age would have to be lower to avoid the system being flooded and then being ignored, but 12, there's no question there.

bumping up.... at the very least Kayleah will stay at the top of the websleuths missing page.

Yes, I agree, 12 is so young that there should have been an Amber Alert right away.

I live very close to the area, but did not hear a word of this until someone from another state told me about it. And then it escaped my mind again until I randomly saw her picture up in a pet store. I watch the local news here-why isn't it being covered? An Amber Alert should have been put out-notifications on the highways, the radio, TV. If this was my child, I would be furious.

I didn't have time to read through all the threads, but did anyone have a take on the Brian's Dream thing-he hasn't updated her page in awhile.

Yes, I agree, 12 is so young that there should have been an Amber Alert right away.

I live very close to the area, but did not hear a word of this until someone from another state told me about it. And then it escaped my mind again until I randomly saw her picture up in a pet store. I watch the local news here-why isn't it being covered? An Amber Alert should have been put out-notifications on the highways, the radio, TV. If this was my child, I would be furious.

I didn't have time to read through all the threads, but did anyone have a take on the Brian's Dream thing-he hasn't updated her page in awhile.

One of the criteria for an Amber Alert is the description of the vehicle. In Kayleah's case there was not any known vehicle. For it to be effective, there has to be a description of vehicle and the suspect if they have one. If Amber Alert's are over used they will become ineffective.

http://www.amberalert.gov/guidelines.htm

OK, I'm just going to have to say I don't agree with that policy. A child isn't always taken by a car. (I'm thinking of that girl who was taken from her walk home-Sommer?) A small child could be snatched off the street and taken into an abandoned house or into the woods. But there would be no alert?

Maybe there should be a BOLO alert for missing children 12 and under regardless of whether they have car info or not.

I was thinking today that if there is a large hispanic population in the Denver-Greeley area that only speaks Spanish, has there been any missing person flier of Kayleah printed in Spanish?

Has the Spanish language news media in the Denver area been contacted?

It could be possible that someone in the area that only speaks Spanish may have saw something when Kayleah disappeared.

heck of a thought nerosleuth... my bil and sil are both from longmont (very close by) and the hispanic population is huge. Not to mention what if the perp is hispanic/people who would have tips don't speak English?

I hope they have done fliers in espanol for her

I was thinking today that if there is a large hispanic population in the Denver-Greeley area that only speaks Spanish, has there been any missing person flier of Kayleah printed in Spanish?

Has the Spanish language news media in the Denver area been contacted?

It could be possible that someone in the area that only speaks Spanish may have saw something when Kayleah disappeared.

We put up fliers in Ft Collins and Laramie last night-they are in English and Spanish.

I know that a while back, on a long (3 or 4 day) weekend, I was on Websleuths and I saw they had discovered a small child's body along the side of the road. He was 'hispanic.' I was so upset that I tried to find anything on the internet about this. NOTHING!

So I searched until I found a HUGELY popular 'hispanic' news organization and I wrote to someone's name I found (specifically). He was very gracious and responded to my email very timely. He promised he would take care of the matter and have it aired on 'Espanol' media outlets.

The child was identified fairly swiftly.

Just, if ANYONE wants to contact a 'foreign speaking' publication or news agency within the U.S., it's WORTH IT!

fwiw,
fran

I know that a while back, on a long (3 or 4 day) weekend, I was on Websleuths and I saw they had discovered a small child's body along the side of the road. He was 'hispanic.' I was so upset that I tried to find anything on the internet about this. NOTHING!

So I searched until I found a HUGELY popular 'hispanic' news organization and I wrote to someone's name I found (specifically). He was very gracious and responded to my email very timely. He promised he would take care of the matter and have it aired on 'Espanol' media outlets.

The child was identified fairly swiftly.

Just, if ANYONE wants to contact a 'foreign speaking' publication or news agency within the U.S., it's WORTH IT!

fwiw,
fran

That's a GREAT idea Fran - not only for this case but for all cases. Thanks for the tip! :blowkiss:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk