850 users online (166 members and 684 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
    Quote Originally Posted by thebear14 View Post
    It was probably a relief for them. Phoebe, hands down, would have been the most beautiful one there, on the inside and out. I didn't even know the girl and I can say that with certainty.

This case kills me.
    Plus they thought they had gotten away with it. If they'd been afraid of punishment for what they'd done to her there would have been none of the boasting (!) about it on Facebook and elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley1971 View Post
    I am a big fan of "old enough to know better". Which these kids were. I am not sure that all of their parents knew how they behaved at school - except for Sharon Chanon Velazquez's mom, she knew her daughter was suspended.
    And you don't get suspended for just a little name calling.

Basically it was a pretty short piece, touching on her moving from Ireland in 2009 and being harassed by upperclassmen for dating someone popular. A recounting of the day she killed herself. Not anything new. A lot of students condemning the bullies. The story they spent the most time on was a young man who was harassed for 4 years by being called "f*g or gay". He dropped out, got his GED, and got therapy. His parents said had they sent him back one more day he would have probably been dead. He won a lawsuit against the school for gender discrimination. I am sure this was a famous case but this was the first I heard of it. It is called "E" Investigates: Bullying. It will reair tomorrow morning at 10:00 AM central, Sunday at 2:00 PM if you can catch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurence View Post
    Plus they thought they had gotten away with it. If they'd been afraid of punishment for what they'd done to her there would have been none of the boasting (!) about it on Facebook and elsewhere.
    yeah seriously. If I said so much as one mean thing to someone and he/she took his/her life...I would lock myself away in shame and regret and probably have to seek therapy forever. These kids tortured her for months, told her to kill herself, and when she did continued to trash talk her and party two days later. I can't even express anymore thoughts I have about that right now

Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    The threads should be topic specific and we should all try and stay on topic as much as possible.
    Because there were general discussion threads open, there is confusion where to post things.
    If we keep the threads more focused that confusion will disappear.
    If you have a thread called The Smiths it doesn't tell anyone what belongs on it.

if you have a thought about something, look and see if it is being discussed. if it is ,bump that thread and continue discussion there. Don't start a thread just to ask a single yes or no question. Look and see if your question fits into a topic. if you have a new topic idea and it is not being discussed go ahead and start a new thread. be sure to search first.

Please don't post the same thing on 2 threads. I know it may have overlap and can go on two threads, but please pick the best one or we have parallel discussions going on.

Think about being able to retirve information at trial or as new developments come up. It is hard to isolate discussion in a general discussion or broad topic thread, but it is easy to find a specific topic and update it with information.

You will get into a groove before you know it and follow the lead of posters that have been here a but longer.They can be very helpful and provide guidance if you are unsure.

Thank you! the goal is to be able to discuss every aspect of the case and devote threads to those apsects.
    Wanted to let everyone know I will be closing the gen. discussion thread in a few days and will not be starting a new one.

PLEASE start topic-specific threads!! Just think about the topics you are discussing on the gen. thread, and start a new thread on that topic. A perfect example is the cutting, which Paladine started a thread for (thanks, Paladine!).

It may take a little while to get used to not having a gen. discussion thread, but it will definitely be better as threads will be focused on one topic.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
    Last edited by daisy7; 04-23-2010 at 10:32 PM.

Some kids from Amherst speak out openly about bullying, I understand Amerst is relatively close to SH. Kids move between towns, might give a peek into the culture, imo...
    T. P., an 11th-grader at Amherst Regional High School, was "bullied pretty bad" at another school before she came here, she said.

"Everyone spread rumors about me and everyone ganged up on me, and said if I didn't do a certain thing I would get in trouble," she told interviewer Tess Domb Sadof on a recent edition of "Student News" on Amherst Community Television, a student-produced news program. "People told me to go die and people threatened to kill me. So it was pretty difficult. I was crying a lot. If it continued, I probably would have died. It was a struggle."
    I hope this girl succeeds and all of her dreams come true...and the bullies live to see it.
    http://www.amherstbulletin.com/story/id/170384/
    Last edited by Paladine; 04-23-2010 at 11:42 PM.

“In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by daisy7 View Post
    Wanted to let everyone know I will be closing the gen. discussion thread in a few days and will not be starting a new one.

PLEASE start topic-specific threads!! Just think about the topics you are discussing on the gen. thread, and start a new thread on that topic. A perfect example is the cutting, which Paladine started a thread for (thanks, Paladine!).

It may take a little while to get used to not having a gen. discussion thread, but it will definitely be better as threads will be focused on one topic.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
    Closing this thread now.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10