822 users online (143 members and 679 guests)  

Websleuths News

Post 10 Phrases That Can Sink Your Resume

If you're job-hunting today, you know that employers are looking for sharp, self-motivated people. Paradoxically, just about the worst way to convey your talent and motivation is to say in your resume or cover letter, "I'm self-motivated." Anyone can say that! The phrase falls flat. You can't afford to let done-to-death boilerplate language sink your resume like a boat anchor.

Resume cliches like "self-motivated individual" and "results-oriented professional" are out of date in 2010. You can do a better job of letting hiring managers know how you solve problems on-the-fly or leap over tall buildings in a single bound.

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-expe...our_resume-115

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
    If you're job-hunting today, you know that employers are looking for sharp, self-motivated people. Paradoxically, just about the worst way to convey your talent and motivation is to say in your resume or cover letter, "I'm self-motivated." Anyone can say that! The phrase falls flat. You can't afford to let done-to-death boilerplate language sink your resume like a boat anchor.

Resume cliches like "self-motivated individual" and "results-oriented professional" are out of date in 2010. You can do a better job of letting hiring managers know how you solve problems on-the-fly or leap over tall buildings in a single bound.

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-expe...our_resume-115
    The Resume Goddess likes this article!!

I hope you are doing well, DK!
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Ditto the shout-out to DK!

I don't think we'll ever know how many readers are helped by the very useful links he brings here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Ditto the shout-out to DK!

I don't think we'll ever know how many readers are helped by the very useful links he brings here.
    Nova??? Is that you???

Quote Originally Posted by angelmom View Post
    nova??? Is that you???
    lol!!!!!!

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. Buddha
    THANK YOU for posting this. I saw the article then later went to read it and couldn't find it.
    Websleuths is TEMPORARILY accepting donations.

CLICK HERE
    to visit our GoFundMe page

OR

I have reviewed over 30 resumes in the past 2 days and what this article says isn't the part that makes me put a resume on the "No" pile.

On one resume, the cover letter was very well written and was actually excited to see what I would discover on the resume. I wasn't extremely impressed, but put it in the "maybe" pile. After a few more resumes, I come to one that made me stop and look back at the "maybe" pile. It was the EXACT same cover letter - word for word (except for the name and address). If you're going to use the internet to help write a cover letter, don't copy it word for word, make it your own. Because of this, they both went into the "no" pile.

Another thing that puts them in the "no" pile is formatting. Many of them use bullet points to explain duties at previous jobs (mine has that as well). This is great....but make sure everything is the same. One indented, one not. And if you don't have anything for that bullet point (or it didn't pertain to the job you were applying for) remove the bullet, don't just remove the writing.

I need an assistant who is detail orientated and creative. If you can't format a resume you plan to send out, how can I be sure you can format a letter? On the "no" pile they go. Ugh...

Talking

Nova??? Is that you???
    A hit and run!
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Nova??? Is that you???
    C'est moi.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    C'est moi.
    Vraiment?
    "Don't forget the kangaroo!"