Picture Of Somer Appears In Online Ad

Kimberlyd125

Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athlet
Reaction score
Picture Of Somer Appears In Online Ad

Link to article: http://www.news4jax.com/news/23202232/detail.html
Link to video: http://www.news4jax.com/video/23202638/index.html

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The picture of Somer Thompson, the Orange Park girl who disappeared and was later found dead, appeared in an ad for an online search engine.

Thompson's story caught national attention and her picture could be found in both local and national news websites. Her picture, however, was used in an Internet ad for search engine Bing.com.

Mike Freed, Thompson family attorney, said it did not surprise him.

"If a mistake was made, it would be randomly generated," he said. "But nothing surprises me in terms of what people do in e-commerce nowadays. It's too easy for people to do bad things and not be detected."

***more at link***

This really chaps my hiney!!!!

How dare bing use Somer's photo in an ad for their search engine.

IMO very disrespectful.

But, Freed is on top of it. IMO - just another reason DT needed/needs an attorney to protect her family's best interests. Also, to protect Somer's memory. So that these things can be fixed the right way.

I wouldn't care for it, but if we want people to be aware of issues, wouldn't this be a great way for people to know that our children are at risk?

I imagine her picture is not copyrighted like some movie star's would be.

It just looks like another tool to get the message out there. Where I live, basically no one has even heard of Somer.

I wouldn't care for it, but if we want people to be aware of issues, wouldn't this be a great way for people to know that our children are at risk?

I imagine her picture is not copyrighted like some movie star's would be.

It just looks like another tool to get the message out there. Where I live, basically no one has even heard of Somer.

Do you really think Bing was using Somer's picture, in THEIR AD for THEIR search engine to bring awareness to Somer's case?
I don't.

I think they were using Somer's picture to bring awareness to their search engine.

I'm all for Somer's info being put out there for informational purposes, but not to advertise for a company. IMO that's totally disrespectful and should be illegal.

I don't think you can just use a deceased child's picture to sell your products can you? IMO that's what Bing is doing. That would be like me putting Somer's picture on coffee cups and setting up a stand and selling the cups for my profit. Sure, more people are learning about the case by seeing her picture on the cups, but does that make it right for me to profit off of it?

Here is a picture of the Ad by the way.

It says nothing about Somer or how she was killed, or how much of a monster her killer was, or how you can donate to her foundation, ......etc....

It just gives a link to their official site...Somer's name is nowhere to be seen.

Attachments

• Bings Ad with Somers Pic.jpg
    Bings Ad with Somers Pic.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 60
That's odd. What does Somer's picture have to do with anything? I wonder if someone hacked bing?

Seriously, except for people on WS and some people in Florida, I doubt if anyone even knows who Somer is. They might have watched 20/20, but I don't think the picture is such a stand out with no info, that people would even connect the 2-picture=Somer.

That's odd. What does Somer's picture have to do with anything? I wonder if someone hacked bing?

Seriously, except for people on WS and some people in Florida, I doubt if anyone even knows who Somer is. They might have watched 20/20, but I don't think the picture is such a stand out with no info, that people would even connect the 2-picture=Somer.

Somer's picture has to do with a very well known child abduction/murder case that was on all the morning shows numerous times, on NG and JVM almost daily, and on prime time specials. IMO Bing knew this would capture attention.
I think Somer is known by more than WS and some people in Florida. JMO

No matter, you still can not use a picture of a child, alive or deceased, to advertise for your company without consent. DT's attorney has stated Bing did not have consent.

And, IMO, nobody hacked Bing. JMO
I think they USED Somer's image to make a profit.

http://wokv.com/localnews/2010/04/microsoft-not-responsible-for.html

Microsoft Not Responsible For Somer Thompson Web Ad
Microsoft says it's not responsible for an Internet ad for its search engine, that showed an image of murdered 7-year-old, Somer Thompson.

Microsoft says the ad was actually provided through Yahoo's advertising partner, and they are aware of the situation.

***classic case of CYA IMO

I know this is an old post, but IMO...

I think this is just an incredibly unfortunate coincidence. This stuff happens all the time online, especially pictures of attractive people on social networking sites having their pictures snatched to end up in ads (the work at home and weight-loss scammers use that route constantly). They had a news story recently about a pretty young lady that was losing some weight the harder, old fashioned way and posting her goal photos on MySpace, only to find them used to sell fake weight loss pills all over the Internet!

There's also a lot of people around the world who steal iStock (they sell stock photography) photos with the embedded logo on them and actually put them on products to sell with the logo still on them.

Contrary to what was posted above about all the channels this little girl was mentioned on, there are a LOT of people who have never heard of this case. This is probably one such person (a very lazy person on the job) who saw a picture of a pretty little girl (we all know she was beautiful) and didn't think twice about snatching it, much less researching it beforehand.

I value your opinion, but IMO a company like microsoft or bing is large enough and should be responsible enough to research what they are using in their ads.

It was an ad to advertise Bing. A search engine. Maybe they should have used their search engine to research who this child was.

JMO

I value your opinion, but IMO a company like microsoft or bing is large enough and should be responsible enough to research what they are using in their ads.

It was an ad to advertise Bing. A search engine. Maybe they should have used their search engine to research who this child was.

JMO

:clap:
Or that of another company. ;)

Let me help Bing and Microsoft out

I love BING as a search engine but think their use of Somer's image for marketing purposes was in reallly poor taste. :sick:

tlcox said:
I love BING as a search engine but think their use of Somer's image for marketing purposes was in reallly poor taste. :sick:
Kinda unsettleing wasn't it? IMO whoever did that knew full well it would get a lot of attention. Horrible way to market a product.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back