Judge Belvin Perry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Mods if this needs to be moved or deleted please do so.

I found this article re: Judge Perry and his statements very interesting. This was a murder case here in Orlando in 1997.

The victim's mother, Phyllis Thomas, began crying quietly and patted her eyes with a tissue after Perry told Huggins, "You have not only forfeited your right to live among us as a free man, but under the laws of the state of Florida, you have forfeited your right to live at all."

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2002-09-20/news/0209200385_1_john-huggins-larson-death-sentence

I pray he will echo these exact same words to KC. :praying:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5087940&postcount=6"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - 2010.04.20 - Today's Current News - ***NO DISCUSSIONS HERE PLEASE ***[/ame]
Judge takes himself off Anthony case

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/04/19/...ex.html?hpt=T2

"Conway recalled that when he first appeared before Perry years ago, the judge invited him into chambers and gave him two rules: "One, the train leaves at 8:30 a.m. Be on it. Two, be prepared."
Conway said that Perry assured him, "If you follow those two rules, you'll be fine."
-from the article

Well, the defense might be able to pull off puncuality-but they have already proven that they don't come prepared!!:snooty:

I pray he will echo these exact same words to KC. :praying:

Me tooooooo. Justice for Caysey!

:dance:

ETA: I'm sad to see Strickland go, but pray this is a kick in the pants to Baez, and a decision he'll come to regret later. I sure hope this judge is as tough as he seems to be.

It will be interesting because JP's father was a law enforcement officer. Growning up as a child of LE has it's advantages and disadvantages. My children always heard, "You should know better, you're dad's a cop." jmo

This little nugget about Belvin Perry, Sr. tells me all I need to know about the values of his family members...including Belvin Perry, Jr., the Judge.

In his 25 years with OPD, Belvin Perry Sr. was known as a tough street cop who could defuse a tense situation with his tongue -- or a bullet from his gun. In 1957, Perry was found justified in shooting a man three times after he wrestled away Perry's nightstick and then came at him with a knife.

Through the years, the story enlarged into legend, reinforcing the image of Belvin Perry as a cop who didn't take lip from anybody.

"Perry had the reputation of being a no-nonsense kind of police officer. He was a cop's cop," said Jerry Demings, Orlando's first black police chief.

If Perry caught you breaking the law, you didn't expect him to cut you any slack, said John W. Jordan, his partner in the 1950s: "He was strict with the law. If he gave you a chance, you'd better take it and go. There wasn't any second time around."

But that street-cop toughness was tempered with a compassion for the people whose oath he took to serve and protect. Belvin Perry Jr. remembers his father promising a man who had no family that he would have a decent burial when he died. Perry Sr. pulled his children out of school that day to attend the man's funeral. At the grave site, there was no one there except the Perry family.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com..._belvin-perry-perry-family-finish-high-school

From Little Bitty35:

To the defense: YOU GOT WHAT YOU ASKED FOR>>>LET'S HOPE YOU ENJOY WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO GET!!!!!!!!! You try to ruin Strickland to save KC...who is a waste of space as a human being. Waste of space. Not even worth the water to flush down the toilet.

from the link provided:
"The horror, the agony, the emotional strain and fear she must have felt knowing of her impending death is beyond comprehension," Perry said.

This will be the same for Caylee Marie. The depravity in how Caylee's remains were found, this no nonsense judge will do right by Caylee..JMHO

Judge dismisses juror allegation
October 4, 2005
KISSIMMEE -- An allegation that two jurors may have improperly discussed a death-penalty case was dismissed Monday when testimony revealed that the women were church friends who may have been chatting about knitting and crocheting. Juror Maria Ferrell wrote a letter to Chief Circuit Judge Belvin Perry, who is presiding over the case of Jermaine LeBron, alleging that two jurors talked by phone one night during the August sentencing hearing. Larry Neal Oliver Jr., 22, of Belle Isle was killed by a shotgun blast to the head in November 1995.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2005-10-04/news/CFBRIEFS04_5_1_two-jurors-kissimmee-ferrell

NEWS
'Disgusted' By Pair's Sentence
September 16, 1990
On July 13, 1990, The Osceola Sentinel reported that a Kissimmee couple, Patrick Ballestero and the mother of a then 13-year-old girl, had pleaded no contest to charges that they had oral sex in the presence of the teen-ager. The article stated that the couple would be sentenced on Sept. 4, 1990.I kept the July article posted on my calendar. Sure enough the couple was sentenced by Judge Belvin Perry to 2 1/2 years of probation and miscellaneous fines. As an extra bonus, adjudication of guilt was withheld in both cases.
http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cach...y+Judge+Belvin+Perry&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Earlier this year, Mansfield's lawyer, James Driscoll, argued in front of
the state Supreme Court that his client did not receive a fair trial
because of a comment made by Perry regarding a plea deal offered by the
state.
The state had offered Mansfield life in prison without parole and
asked him to waive his rights for appeal. Mansfield declined the offer,
according to court documents.

Last week, the high court said there was no basis for the defense
argument.

The comment in question was delivered in front of counsel while the jury
was out of the courtroom. Perry said, "What really concerns me is why
would this court and this jury be asked to consider the ultimate sanction
in this particular case, and then at the ninth hour, it just suddenly goes
away?"

Last week, the Florida Supreme Court said Perry's statement did not
indicate any bias or predisposition about future rulings.

"We read Judge Perry's statement to be a statement concerning the timing
of a plea offer," the opinion stated. "We find nothing in the statement
that indicated bias or prejudice against Mansfield -- rather, the
statement was plainly directed at the State."

It is standard procedure for the state's Supreme Court to hear death
penalty appeals.
http://www.mail-archive.com/deathpenalty@lists.washlaw.edu/msg03009.html

Glad to hear that Judge Strickland recused himself. No judgment on him being biased, just glad he stepped down so that the attention could go back where it belonged, trying Caylee's murderer.

Judge Perry sounds like a no-nonsense sort of judge. Also sounds as if Mr. Baez better get his together posthaste. I don't think Judge Parry is gonna be doing quite as much bending over backwards for JB as JS did.

TY momtective for all the good background on Judge Perry! You rock mamma!

Perry was a big story on Monday’s late news and this morning.

He was a big topic of conversation at dinner last night, too. A lawyer friend tells me, ”He’s a no BS kind of guy.” And my friend warns that no one should be confused by Perry’s manner. He may look as if he’s falling asleep at times, but he’s thinking deeply and taking in what others are saying, my friend says.

On the late news last night, WFTV-Channel 9 legal analyst Bill Sheaffer predicted that Perry won’t be as forgiving and calm as Strickland. “It really doesn’t put the defense in any better position than the defense was with Judge Strickland,” Sheaffer said. “Judge Perry is a very competent judge, has tried a number of high-profile murder cases and is known as a judge’s judge.”

Prominent Orlando attorney Mark NeJame reminded WESH-Channel 2 that Perry is a former prosecutor with death-penalty experience. “I think the new judge is going to say enough is enough,” NeJame said. ”He’s going to keep this ball moving. And if anybody thinks that they’re going to get additional delays or extensions as a result of having a new judge come on board, I think they’re sadly mistaken.”

On WOFL-Channel 35, local defense attorney Diana Tennis said Perry is bright, experienced and solid. “I don’t think he’s going to make any decisions that are going to get overturned on appeal,” Tennis predicted. “He’s our chief judge for a reason.
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_tv_tvblog/

Sounds like JB and Co. have just shot themselves in the foot...

And it couldn't have happened to a better team. :twocents:

Sounds like JB and Co. have just shot themselves in the foot...

And it couldn't have happened to a better team. :twocents:

I think that shot went a little higher up ......to the... starts with a "b" and ends with an "s".

It has me thinking - WTH is this all about? Thanks to our excellent posters who have sleuthed this information on Judge Perry, does that make CM a state mole or something?

I can't think of any other reason why this move makes sense. But - a big welcome to the new Judge's Judge. Now we can get back and focus on why we are truly here - justice for Caylee.

Interesting ruling (wonder if it is applicable to TES...hmmm... :)

DCA says Disney can deny access to security records

DAYTONA BEACH – The 5th District Court of Appeal ruled that Walt Disney World’s security force is not a public law enforcement agency and is not subject to the Public Records Law.

The ruling affirming a circuit judge’s decision was filed without comment, although one judge wrote a special concurring opinion.

Bob and Kathy Sipkema, who are suing Disney in a wrongful-death action, sought access to Disney security records to support their claim that the security force caused their son’s death by negligently chasing a truck in which he was a passenger. Robb Sipkema died when the truck crashed after leaving Disney property.

Judge Belvin Perry, 9th Judicial Circuit, denied the Sipkemas access to the records because he said the security force was more like a "night watchman" service for a private company than a public law enforcement agency.

Disney employs about 800 security personnel at its theme parks near Orlando. In 1967, the Florida Legislature created the Reedy Creek Improvement District, which encompasses all of Disney’s property. The district gives Disney municipal-like powers to control its own property without interference from local governments. (6/4/97-6/21/97)

http://brechner.org/reports/1997/rpt9709.htm

Good luck getting those TES records Baez... :)

This little nugget about Belvin Perry, Sr. tells me all I need to know about the values of his family members...including Belvin Perry, Jr., the Judge.

In his 25 years with OPD, Belvin Perry Sr. was known as a tough street cop who could defuse a tense situation with his tongue -- or a bullet from his gun. In 1957, Perry was found justified in shooting a man three times after he wrestled away Perry's nightstick and then came at him with a knife.

Through the years, the story enlarged into legend, reinforcing the image of Belvin Perry as a cop who didn't take lip from anybody.

"Perry had the reputation of being a no-nonsense kind of police officer. He was a cop's cop," said Jerry Demings, Orlando's first black police chief.

If Perry caught you breaking the law, you didn't expect him to cut you any slack, said John W. Jordan, his partner in the 1950s: "He was strict with the law. If he gave you a chance, you'd better take it and go. There wasn't any second time around."

But that street-cop toughness was tempered with a compassion for the people whose oath he took to serve and protect. Belvin Perry Jr. remembers his father promising a man who had no family that he would have a decent burial when he died. Perry Sr. pulled his children out of school that day to attend the man's funeral. At the grave site, there was no one there except the Perry family.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com..._belvin-perry-perry-family-finish-high-school

From Little Bitty35:

To the defense: YOU GOT WHAT YOU ASKED FOR>>>LET'S HOPE YOU ENJOY WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO GET!!!!!!!!! You try to ruin Strickland to save KC...who is a waste of space as a human being. Waste of space. Not even worth the water to flush down the toilet.

Given Andrea Lyon's numerous derogatory comments about police offices AND Jerry Lyons comments to MD about cops as well......I'm thinking this new Judge will be quite a bitter pill for them to "shwallow" (as KC would say)!

Perry was a big story on Monday’s late news and this morning.

He was a big topic of conversation at dinner last night, too. A lawyer friend tells me, ”He’s a no BS kind of guy.” And my friend warns that no one should be confused by Perry’s manner. He may look as if he’s falling asleep at times, but he’s thinking deeply and taking in what others are saying, my friend says.

On the late news last night, WFTV-Channel 9 legal analyst Bill Sheaffer predicted that Perry won’t be as forgiving and calm as Strickland. “It really doesn’t put the defense in any better position than the defense was with Judge Strickland,” Sheaffer said. “Judge Perry is a very competent judge, has tried a number of high-profile murder cases and is known as a judge’s judge.”

Prominent Orlando attorney Mark NeJame reminded WESH-Channel 2 that Perry is a former prosecutor with death-penalty experience. “I think the new judge is going to say enough is enough,” NeJame said. ”He’s going to keep this ball moving. And if anybody thinks that they’re going to get additional delays or extensions as a result of having a new judge come on board, I think they’re sadly mistaken.”

On WOFL-Channel 35, local defense attorney Diana Tennis said Perry is bright, experienced and solid. “I don’t think he’s going to make any decisions that are going to get overturned on appeal,” Tennis predicted. “He’s our chief judge for a reason.
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_tv_tvblog/

BBM
And I wonder IF that was precisely why they wanted Stan out and him in.....so that they could use that "pro prosecution bias" in their request for COV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74