GUILTY NC - Tanisha Weaver for attempted kidnapping of newborn, Durham, 2010

uhhhhhhh if she tried last week why is she out there to do it again?

jeesh

PTL she did not get away with her plans. But there have been cases where very disturbed women pretend to be pregnant usually for a man and steal a baby or kill a very pregnant woman and cut the baby out. Sorry about the visual. These cases scare the dickens out of me.

jmho

PTL she did not get away with her plans. But there have been cases where very disturbed women pretend to be pregnant usually for a man and steal a baby or kill a very pregnant woman and cut the baby out. Sorry about the visual. These cases scare the dickens out of me.

jmho

what about the ol 'i saw she had 2 other kids so i figured she wouldnt miss one' excuse? :waitasec:

jmho

This wasn't a baby hungry woman. She was trying to sell it or trade it for profit.

Dornfried said Weaver finally indicated to Duke investigators that she was trying to get a baby because she owed someone money.

"This is a stranger shopping for a child,” he said. "This is a baby to steal for profit or to satisfy a debt.”

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/7458747/

This wasn't a baby hungry woman. She was trying to sell it or trade it for profit.

Well if it was all for profit why go through all these charades? :waitasec:

Weaver’s neighbor Kawana Jones said for several months, Weaver pretended to be pregnant. Jones said her children saw baby clothes, bottles and even a stroller inside of Weaver’s home.

"I asked her when the baby was due and she said April 17," Jones said.

Last Friday, Weaver asked Jones to babysit her little boy because she said she was going into the hospital to have a baby.

Jones said when Weaver showed up the next day without a baby, she felt something wasn't right.

"She said, 'Well, I signed myself out,'" Jones said. "And I got to thinking, you signed yourself out?"

She said Weaver told her the baby was in intensive care with some type of respiratory problem, but would be released Monday.

Jones said Weaver even showed them pictures of a baby and acted as if she were suffering pain from giving birth.

jmo

These women who will do anything for a baby scare me to death. I suppose we are lucky that she didn't attack and murder a pregnant woman, as has been happening way too often. It's sad that people can no longer celebrate the birth of their child by posting a sign in the front yard to update the neighborhood on the birth. Those signs have become a beacon for nutjobs to follow straight to newborns. I honestly wonder about this world sometimes. It has become a terribly frightening place to live.

uhhhhhhh if she tried last week why is she out there to do it again?

jeesh

This is my major issue with this story as well. the perp went to a hospital, donned scrubs, and tried to act like she belonged there. She asked all kinds of suspicious questions about the nursery and security.,...why on earth did they let her go to do it again????? I love how the first hospital says, "at no time was she in contact with the infants or new mothers", but they knowingly unleashed her into society and someone elses delivery room??? Would a phone call to area maternity wards have been too much trouble? I understand the 1st hospital couldnt arrest her, but isn't impersonating a medical professional a crime? Could they not have called the police in to get some assistance with this whackjob? I'm very thankful that the security measures in place at Duke worked well enough to save the baby from being snatched, but how close she came!!!Upsetting that nothing was done to protect this new mother and infant BEFORE an attempt was made.:waitasec:

These women who will do anything for a baby scare me to death. I suppose we are lucky that she didn't attack and murder a pregnant woman, as has been happening way too often. It's sad that people can no longer celebrate the birth of their child by posting a sign in the front yard to update the neighborhood on the birth. Those signs have become a beacon for nutjobs to follow straight to newborns. I honestly wonder about this world sometimes. It has become a terribly frightening place to live.

Me too Belinda. :(
And I tell you from all the charades this woman was putting on I seriously question LE saying this was an abduction for profit. :waitasec: That dog don't hunt for me in this case one bit.

jmho

Accused Baby-Napper Also Faces Assault Charges

The woman accused of trying to abduct an infant from a Duke University Hospital nursery was charged two weeks ago with assault, according to court documents.

Tanisha Weaver, 28, of 18 Shannon Road in Louisburg, was charged April 5 with assault with a deadly weapon.

The charge stemmed from an incident in the parking lot of a Walmart in Louisburg. No other details were immediately available.

Weaver was being held Thursday in the Durham County Jail under a $100,000 bond. She was charged Monday with abduction of children.

A Durham County prosecutor said Wednesday that Weaver used an elaborate ruse to get the baby's mother out of the room, but when she cut the identification bracelet off the baby's ankle, it triggered an alarm that alerted nurses to the situation.

Snipped from http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/7470491/

Police: Attempted baby-napping not motivated by money

Durham, N.C. — Police said Monday that they believe a woman accused of trying to abduct an infant from a hospital nursery last week acted alone and wasn't seeking a baby for money.

A Durham County prosecutor said in court last Wednesday that Weaver indicated to investigators that she tried to steal the newborn for money or to settle a debt.

Duke University Police Chief John Dailey said Monday that investigators no longer believe money was a motive in the case. He said declined to say what investigators believe prompted the abduction attempt.

Authorities said Weaver also was planning to abduct an infant from Maria Parham Medical Center in Henderson.

Police said she placed an online advertisement soliciting pregnant women for a calendar. When a woman tried to back out of participating in the calendar, Weaver pulled a knife on her, police said.

Snipped from http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/7488531/

October 2010:

Tanisha Weaver, 29, of 18 Shannon Road, pleaded guilty Wednesday to a charge of abduction of children. She was sentenced to 12 to 15 months in prison, which was suspended to three years of intensive probation...

Weaver initially indicated to investigators that she tried to steal the newborn for money or to settle a debt. Police later determined that money wasn't a motive for the crime...

Superior Court Judge Donald Stephens ordered Weaver to get mental health evaluations and not to contact the mother of the child or anyone in the mother's family.
Weaver also must register as a sex offender. Under state law, anyone convicted of abducting a child is required to register.

Last month, Weaver was sentenced to 60 days in jail for assault with a deadly weapon.

Read more at http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/8529071/#Veq6Chds8tGSOcs1.99

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back