1067 users online (235 members and 832 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

VA - Ernest Brooker, 66, Meadows of Dan, 18 April 2010

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...issing+in+Va.+

Cincinnati man missing in Va.
    The Enquirer • April 24, 2010

Officials in Virginia’s Rock Castle Gorge are looking for a Cincinnati man who may have gone missing there.

Police believe Ernest Brooker, 66. went to Rock Castle Gorge because he visited there was a young boy and wanted to see it again. The gorge is in the Rocky Knob Recreation Area, about 50 miles south of Roanoke, Va.

His car, a 1985 white Chevrolet Celebrity with Ohio tags was noticed by a park ranger on April 18 near the Rocky Knob Cabins.

A search began on Thursday when it appeared the car had not moved, officials said.

Anyone with information on Booker should immediately call police. The Patrick County Sheriff’s Office in Virginia is handling the search. They can be reached at 276-694-3161.
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 04-29-2010 at 03:12 PM.

Ohio man missing in Patrick County

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/...e.cfm?ID=23399

Sunday, April 25, 2010

By DEBBIE HALL - Bulletin Staff Writer

Local, federal and state authorities, along with eight search and rescue teams and three dogs, scoured a recreational area in Patrick County over the weekend, in hopes of finding a missing 66-year-old Ohio man.

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre

VA - Ernest Brooker, 66, Meadows of Dan, 18 April 2010

last seen on April 18th when he checked into a motel in the Rock Castle Creek area off the Blue Ridge Parkway.
    Brooker's car was noticed by a ranger 0n April 18 near the top of Rock Castle Gorge. A ranger again observed the car on April 22 in the same location and it did not appear to have been moved.
    Personal items that belong to Brooker appeared to be intentionally placed at areas throughout the woods.
    Investigators said he told the hotel manager that he visited the area as a child, and wanted to come back to see it again.
    http://www.wlwt.com/news/23256601/detail.html

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/...e.cfm?ID=23399

http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=12367600
    Last edited by Cubby; 05-03-2010 at 05:29 PM.

This doesn't sound good....

Personal items placed through out the woods...
    He visited the place as a child and wanted to come back to see it again...
    He checked out of the hotel on the 18th, after staying there for 4 days, only to have his car discovered on that day up on the gorge.. and 4 days later his car sat in the same spot.

imo.. not good at all.
    R.I.P Jenni-Lyn Watson

"The test of the morality of a society is what it does for its children." ~Dietrich Bonhoeffer
    "From the deepest desires often come the deadliest hate." ~Socrates

a description of rock castle gorge

http://planetanimals.com/logue/Rokcastl.html

Blue Ridge Parkway is a huge area. He could be anywhere in there. I wonder why he would pick this place to go to (except for the fact he went as a child). Maybe he did feel a connection. The Parkway is beautiful.

Here's a couple of odd things that may be worth mentioning. Ernest appears to have left/abandoned/been seperated from his car at the intersection of two one lane highways in the midst of a sparsely populated area. Why would he leave his car here by the road...and simply walk off? His belongings were scattered all over the place and it appears to be a staged scene?

This looks a whole lot like someone wanted it to look as though Ernest got lost in the woods. Obviously one may never be found in this area if you disappear out here. First place I'd go back and search for answers, is with the person who alleges that Ernest talked of 'going back' to this area.

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything; but I still can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." ~Helen Keller~

Sometimes a man can meet his destiny on the road he took to avoid it.

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
    Poor Earnest! And the one article says that he moved into his cincinnati appt after his wife died and was kind of a "loner".. I feel for this guy and hope he is found soon

It sounds like he was depressed and that this could be a suicide. Sometimes, in suicides like this, the person will leave items, like a bread crumb trail, if you will, in order that their body is found, but far enough away from said items so that the suicide is completed. Very sad no matter what the outcome.
    Last edited by Bennettras; 04-25-2010 at 05:16 PM.
    I'm just sayin.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bennettras View Post
    It sounds like he was depressed and that this could be a suicide. Sometimes, in suicides like this, the person will leave items, like a bread crumb trail, if you will, inorder that their body is found, but far enough away from said items so that the suicide is completed. Very sad no matter what the outcome.
    Welcome aboard Bennett.....and good point!

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything; but I still can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." ~Helen Keller~

This is such a sad story...sounds like he just missed his wife after she passed away...no kids....just gave up?? I feel so badly for him....sounds like he was so alone in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by nursebeeme View Post
    Poor Earnest! And the one article says that he moved into his cincinnati appt after his wife died and was kind of a "loner".. I feel for this guy and hope he is found soon
    In my own experience over the years working with people who've lost loved ones, men fare much worse after losing their wives than the other way around. Especially older men. Perhaps it's society's expectation that they be stoic and strong, a pull-themselves-up-by-their-bootstraps kinda thing. Again, just my own observation... but many of this age group do not reach out to others for help at this time in their lives. IMO, he's committed suicide. How sad

(from the above article)

Ohio authorities went to Brooker’s apartment and talked to neighbors. They “did not realize Mr. Brooker was gone,” Stone said, and added neighbors described Brooker as a loner.

Brooker moved into the apartment complex about a year ago,” shortly after his wife died, the captain added.

How sad... I wonder if this was the anniversary of his wife's death, or of some other important event in their lives.

Mr Brookers wife, Judith, passed away January 27th, 2009. Ernest...if you did what we think you may have? Peace be with you my friend. I hope and pray that you finally found her.

In the area where Mr. Brooker disappeared, are there any rivers nearby?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast